Rodgers MVP Talk?

adam

I get that they are 13-3 but come on. The guy is 9th in passing yards and tied for 3rd in TD passes. His stats are closer to Cousins than Brady, Stafford, Herbert, Burrow or Mahomes. 

Look at how close these are. If Rodgers isn't protected by officials, he has a few more INTs and a few less TDs. He would basically have Cousins stats without the refs:

Rodgers 352-513, 68.6%, 3977 yds, 7.8 Y/A, 35 TD, 4 INT
Cousins 358-539, 66.4%, 3971 yds, 7.4 Y/A, 30 TD, 7 INT

One is a slam dunk MVP candidate who constantly gets bailed out by officials and one is an average QB at best? Do people even watch the games anymore?

If anyone deserves it, it is Jonathan Taylor or Cooper Kupp. 

He also won it last year but had 48 TD passes (first in the league by 8) with only 5 INTs. 35 TD to 4 INTs is awesome but that can't be the only ratio used to determine the league MVP. 

Rodgers has 1 4QC this year, Cousins has 2. Herbert has 5. Last year Rodgers only had 1 as well. Tannehill had 5. Football is such a different game when you are playing with a lead. There has been no pressure on Rodgers for years, and when there was, he sucked too.

If there is a QB this year, it has to go to Brady, leads the league in passing yards, passing TDs, and has 3x 4QC AND 5 GWD. Herbert should get some consideration as well. 3rd in passing yards, 3rd in TD passes, and has 5x 4QC and 5x GWD.

I never realized how much Chris Collinsworth was a Rodgers “fan” until watching last nights game.  It’s like he has some sort of uncontrollable man crush on the guy.  It was horrible.

As far as MVP, I’d think someone like Burrow would be deserving with his stats AND the fact he was completely out of the game last year due to a pretty nasty injury. 

But like you wrote out, there are a lot more deserving people out there before Rodgers. 

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I never realized how much Chris Collinsworth was a Rodgers “fan” until watching last nights game.  It’s like he has some sort of uncontrollable man crush on the guy.  It was horrible.

As far as MVP, I’d think someone like Burrow would be deserving with his stats AND the fact he was completely out of the game last year due to a pretty nasty injury. 

But like you wrote out, there are a lot more deserving people out there before Rodgers. 

Rodgers makes a pass that is almost intercepted = unbelievable pass. Any other QB does it = what was he thinking, that was a bad pass and lucky it wasn't intercepted.

Yeah Burrow is a good story too and fun to watch. However, for me it is hard to give any guys the MVP when they are playing with absolute studs (Adams, Hill, Hopkins, etc) and now Chase. I mean when over half of your stats are from one player, how much are you really contributing? In a way, it almost makes a case for someone like Adams or Chase for MVP too.

Sometimes it seems more about the story or narrative than the on field value. All the drama in the off-season, then he returns to the team and they go 13-3.  Look how he overcame adversity (insert eyeroll) to lead his team to the number one seed in the NFC and “earned” back to back MVP awards. Take Adams away and their record is vastly more down to earth. Still a playoff team but not a #1 seed.  Sure you can also make the argument that GB without  Rodgers is a sub 500 team. But a lot has to be the narratives and the stories that can be written. Chris Collinsworthless makes the broadcast unwatchable unless your name is Aaron Rodgers (in which case you are a diva and loves that it’s all about you) or your a spoiled Packer fan. For the rest of us we’re more likely to injure ourselves rolling our eyes than share his man crush. It’s worse than Maddens man crush on Favre. At least Madden talked about other aspects of the game and other players. Cris won’t shut up about Rodgers this and Rodgers that. Rodgers is more capable of losing in the NFC championship game than reaching the SB. 

Candidates I think are more deserving include Jonathan Taylor, Burrow, Justin Herbert., And maybe Brady. Problem with the MVP is it’s not always about the best or most valuable player in the league. Record, playoff position, marquee status, ratings, and potential storylines sadly often rob guys more potentially deserving.

11 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

Sometimes it seems more about the story or narrative than the on field value. All the drama in the off-season, then he returns to the team and they go 13-3.  Look how he overcame adversity (insert eyeroll) to lead his team to the number one seed in the NFC and “earned” back to back MVP awards. Take Adams away and their record is vastly more down to earth. Still a playoff team but not a #1 seed.  Sure you can also make the argument that GB without  Rodgers is a sub 500 team. But a lot has to be the narratives and the stories that can be written. Chris Collinsworthless makes the broadcast unwatchable unless your name is Aaron Rodgers (in which case you are a diva and loves that it’s all about you) or your a spoiled Packer fan. For the rest of us we’re more likely to injure ourselves rolling our eyes than share his man crush. It’s worse than Maddens man crush on Favre. At least Madden talked about other aspects of the game and other players. Cris won’t shut up about Rodgers this and Rodgers that. Rodgers is more capable of losing in the NFC championship game than reaching the SB. 

Candidates I think are more deserving include Jonathan Taylor, Burrow, Justin Herbert., And maybe Brady. Problem with the MVP is it’s not always about the best or most valuable player in the league. Record, playoff position, marquee status, ratings, and potential storylines sadly often rob guys more potentially deserving.

It's wild because Cousins and Rodgers have very similar stats, 5 TDs and 3 INTs are not much over an entire season. 

Look at Adams stats, Rodgers is Tua or Daniel Jones without Adams. 

28 minutes ago, adam said:

It's wild because Cousins and Rodgers have very similar stats, 5 TDs and 3 INTs are not much over an entire season. 

Look at Adams stats, Rodgers is Tua or Daniel Jones without Adams. 

You guys are delusional in your hate of Rodgers. He is awesome and having another tremendous season. He is not Tua without Adams. He has made great receivers consistently in GB. I would probably say the other way around - Adams is just a guy without Rodgers...just like most of his wideouts (when they went elsewhere) became just meh.  

Rodgers and Mahome's are 2 best QB's in the league. Brady is not the same as he once was, but obviously still very elite and than you have a bunch of other guys who are in different leagues than Rodgers/Mahome's.  

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

This. I dislike both players but recognize they are outstanding. 

Peace

fair enough.

The distinction is that Rodgers is a generational talent, but Brady isnt that physical specimen, he just wins. A lot.

I am not denying Rodgers' greatness, but outside of low INTs, he didn't do enough in my opinion for the award. Is he top 5, absolutely, but the winner? Not if I had a vote.

Which game, series, drive, etc makes Rodgers an MVP candidate? He beat up on a bad division this year. 16 TDs to 0 INTs against the NFC North and he still somehow lost a game (4-1). 

He had 0 TD and 1 INT against SEA, they won 17-0. Had only 184 yards against ARZ, they won. 202 yds vs CLE, another win. 

Compare to Tom Brady who had zero games with less than 210 passing yards, but also had 3x 400 yard games. 

There is also the assumption that he won't play this week, so there is a great chance that he won't even be in the top 10 in passing yards, is already 12th in completions, and would not be in the top 5 in Passing TDs. 

So from a team contribution standpoint, it probably should be Brady, Taylor, Kupp, then any one of Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and Prescott. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

I am not denying Rodgers' greatness, but outside of low INTs, he didn't do enough in my opinion for the award. Is he top 5, absolutely, but the winner? Not if I had a vote.

Which game, series, drive, etc makes Rodgers an MVP candidate? He beat up on a bad division this year. 16 TDs to 0 INTs against the NFC North and he still somehow lost a game (4-1). 

He had 0 TD and 1 INT against SEA, they won 17-0. Had only 184 yards against ARZ, they won. 202 yds vs CLE, another win. 

Compare to Tom Brady who had zero games with less than 210 passing yards, but also had 3x 400 yard games. 

There is also the assumption that he won't play this week, so there is a great chance that he won't even be in the top 10 in passing yards, is already 12th in completions, and would not be in the top 5 in Passing TDs. 

So from a team contribution standpoint, it probably should be Brady, Taylor, Kupp, then any one of Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and Prescott. 

makes good sense

Thing about stats is they don't always tell the full story.  A QB can throw for 400+ yards in a game they lost because they had to throw to try and catch up, or chase points for example, they tell part of a story, but not the whole story.   That same QB throwing for 400+ yards because they are kicking the crap out of their opponent means less garbage time stats, but then you also need to take into account the opponent.  Having a career game against a bad team can inflate your stats when the stats are looked at in a vacuum.  The NFC North this season has been one of the weakest divisions.  Greenbay didn't hardly have to try to win the division they were going to be a 4 seed almost by default.  My grandpa used always say "figures lie and liars figure" meaning stats, or numbers can be manipulated or cherry picked to prove whatever point you want them to.  

My main point of my post was that there are guys who definitely deserve to be in the MVP conversation.  But will get overshadowed by the Marquee guys who get the name recognition.  You can't argue that Rodgers isn't a generational talent and a sure first ballot HOF QB.  He has made nobody's somebody's for much of his career.  To the point where GB minus Rodgers is likely a 500 or below team (though maybe over 500 and in the running for the division due to the subpar competition this season). A Rodgers-less Packers team would likely be a more run heavy team. Aaron Jones, and AJ Dillan are no slouches in that department and would be Love's or whoever's best friend.  I admit I hate Aaron Rodgers with a passion and will root against him in any game he plays regardless of the foe.  But I'm not shortsighted enough to not recognize his talent.   As a Bears fan it's hard not to be jealous at least on some level as we've struggled forever to find a franchise caliber QB while we've watched GB go from HOF QB to HOF QB.  I for one am looking forward to the day when the tables are turned and I truly hope Fields can be that guy to finally become the franchise QB we've been hoping for all these years.  And I hope once Rodgers leaves or retires that GB has nothing but crap at QB for at leas one to two decades and we dominate the cheese heads for a change.