Fields Unlikely to Start now - On COVID List

DABEARSDABOMB

Personally - at this point - as much as I want to watch him play one more game, I actually think this is a blessing in disguise. He had his moments, he took his lumps, and he knows he has a ton of work to do (as does every young QB) if he is going to take the necessary steps forward.  He wouldn't have gained anything more in this game against Vikings and I expect, given all the reports of his work ethic, we are going to see him super focused and he will be 100% healthy for his offseason workouts etc. 

I hope he will be watching TONs of film, learning his (presumed) new playbook, and SPENDING tons of times with his skill position players while also working with the right coaches on his release (trying to speed it up), footwork, and obviously continuing to just focus on his overall strenght and conditioning (not that it is an issue).  Will be excited to see what he can do and the strides that can be made.  

41 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Funny how everyone quit asking about Cohen’s return shortly after Grant arrived.  

Grant definitely makes Cohen seem more expendable.  What's working against Cohen is he plays at a very replaceable position.  He gave us a lot of optimism early in his career, but definitely took steps backwards before his injury.  I would love to see Grant stick around, he has provided a spark.  I love his energy, enthusiasm, and what he brings to the return game.  We haven't had someone that adds a dangerous quality to our return game for some time.  It's the hidden yards and field position that make him worth keeping.  

As for Fields, I'm ok with him sitting out.  At this point it's one game, I don't know that he would gain that much more playing.  I love that he really wants to be out there and playing.  He has the desire to be out there and be the best he can be.  Sitting out this last game will also expose him to less hits.  Let the ribs, and the ankle heal fully and go into next offseason program 100% healthy and with something to prove.  We've seen flashes and we've seen him look like a rookie QB, with his work ethic and pride and desire to be great I have little concern he will put all he has learned this year and film study into next season.  Hopefully under a new coach, new GM and possibly a new president of football operations.  This offseason will be interesting to see what the staff and FO looks like going into 2022.  What system of offense we run, what players will still be here, who will be gone, and who will be added.  There's always a sense of hope/optimism surrounding a shakeup that we'll likely see this offseason, here's hoping this time we get it right.

1 hour ago, BearFan2000 said:

Grant definitely makes Cohen seem more expendable.  What's working against Cohen is he plays at a very replaceable position.  He gave us a lot of optimism early in his career, but definitely took steps backwards before his injury.  I would love to see Grant stick around, he has provided a spark.  I love his energy, enthusiasm, and what he brings to the return game.  We haven't had someone that adds a dangerous quality to our return game for some time.  It's the hidden yards and field position that make him worth keeping.  

As for Fields, I'm ok with him sitting out.  At this point it's one game, I don't know that he would gain that much more playing.  I love that he really wants to be out there and playing.  He has the desire to be out there and be the best he can be.  Sitting out this last game will also expose him to less hits.  Let the ribs, and the ankle heal fully and go into next offseason program 100% healthy and with something to prove.  We've seen flashes and we've seen him look like a rookie QB, with his work ethic and pride and desire to be great I have little concern he will put all he has learned this year and film study into next season.  Hopefully under a new coach, new GM and possibly a new president of football operations.  This offseason will be interesting to see what the staff and FO looks like going into 2022.  What system of offense we run, what players will still be here, who will be gone, and who will be added.  There's always a sense of hope/optimism surrounding a shakeup that we'll likely see this offseason, here's hoping this time we get it right.

It's crazy to think Cohen got injured on September 27th, 2020. Again, 2020. If he plays again, the next regular-season game for him will be almost 2 yrs since the injury. Something is not right. Some players have been back in 9 months from an ACL. I don't think he is coming back. He seems more interested in gaming than playing football. After that type of injury who can blame him.

For early cuts, with a new regime, he is gone. There is no way they are paying him that kind of money as an unknown. I think Goldman is another easy cut. That would free up $9M in cap space. Another guy is Attaochu. I would designate him a post June 1st cut and take $2.7M in cap space while only taking on 400K in dead money. The trick with post June cuts is you can't use the space until after June 1st. So that would be used to sign late free agents. 

People talk about the Bears only having 35 players under contract, so the $41M is not that much. There are a lot of teams with less than 40 players and with less cap space than the Bears. The Texans, Lions, Chiefs, Bucs, Cards, 49ers, Falcons, and Titans all have less than 40 players under contract and less cap than the Bears.  The Saints, Packers, Cowboys, and Vikings are over the cap. Rams, Giants, Bills, Titans, Falcons, and 49ers have a negative effective cap space. The Bears are 12th in cap space and are no worse than 15th in terms of effective cap space (top 51 projection). To me, that is a lot better than it could be.

8 hours ago, adam said:

It's crazy to think Cohen got injured on September 27th, 2020. Again, 2020. If he plays again, the next regular-season game for him will be almost 2 yrs since the injury. Something is not right. Some players have been back in 9 months from an ACL. I don't think he is coming back. He seems more interested in gaming than playing football. After that type of injury who can blame him.

For early cuts, with a new regime, he is gone. There is no way they are paying him that kind of money as an unknown. I think Goldman is another easy cut. That would free up $9M in cap space. Another guy is Attaochu. I would designate him a post June 1st cut and take $2.7M in cap space while only taking on 400K in dead money. The trick with post June cuts is you can't use the space until after June 1st. So that would be used to sign late free agents. 

People talk about the Bears only having 35 players under contract, so the $41M is not that much. There are a lot of teams with less than 40 players and with less cap space than the Bears. The Texans, Lions, Chiefs, Bucs, Cards, 49ers, Falcons, and Titans all have less than 40 players under contract and less cap than the Bears.  The Saints, Packers, Cowboys, and Vikings are over the cap. Rams, Giants, Bills, Titans, Falcons, and 49ers have a negative effective cap space. The Bears are 12th in cap space and are no worse than 15th in terms of effective cap space (top 51 projection). To me, that is a lot better than it could be.

I'm not cutting Goldman because I'm expecting he can return to form.  At the top of my reasons is that we only save $6.6 mil in space for 2022 and a reasonable replacement in FA will cost more than that.

Of course keeping him around depends on next years D scheme and if we go to 4-3 then yes he's gone.  If we stay 3-4 we'll need him and he's not easy to replace.  Or we replace him using a Rd 2/3 pick which I'm also against doing. 

As I go down the list of contracts I see Roy Robertson-Harris at $7.8mil/yr which I find shocking and a sign of things to come if we try to backfill Goldman in FA.  I might have a chat with him about restructuring his deal but his agent will tell him what RRH got in FA and I doubt he'd want a pay cut and could just let us cut him.  A comparable player Brandon Williams at age 32 in Baltimore picked up $13mil on a 1yr deal this year. 

In summary, as I see it, finding a comparable or better replacement for Goldman in FA will only cost more than we'd save, or more in draft capital than I'm willing to use because of critical needs at WR/CB/S.  I don't see Tonga ever having the endurance to be a starter but he could prove me wrong after this offseason.   In any case he'll never have the lateral movement skills Goldman has when he's at his best.   I'm taking my chances that the new coaching staff sparks a Quinn-like resurgence to his former high level of play.   

Tackles   Fumbles Def Interceptions
Rk Player From To Solo Ast QBHits TFL Sk FF FR Yds TD Int Yds TD
1 Eddie Goldman 2015 2021 1.5 0.7     0.2 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
2 Brandon Williams 2013 2021 1.5 1.1     0.1 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'm not cutting Goldman because I'm expecting he can return to form.  At the top of my reasons is that we only save $6.6 mil in space for 2022 and a reasonable replacement in FA will cost more than that.

Of course keeping him around depends on next years D scheme and if we go to 4-3 then yes he's gone.  If we stay 3-4 we'll need him and he's not easy to replace.  Or we replace him using a Rd 2/3 pick which I'm also against doing. 

As I go down the list of contracts I see Roy Robertson-Harris at $7.8mil/yr which I find shocking and a sign of things to come if we try to backfill Goldman in FA.  I might have a chat with him about restructuring his deal but his agent will tell him what RRH got in FA and I doubt he'd want a pay cut and could just let us cut him.  A comparable player Brandon Williams at age 32 in Baltimore picked up $13mil on a 1yr deal this year. 

In summary, as I see it, finding a comparable or better replacement for Goldman in FA will only cost more than we'd save, or more in draft capital than I'm willing to use because of critical needs at WR/CB/S.  I don't see Tonga ever having the endurance to be a starter but he could prove me wrong after this offseason.   In any case he'll never have the lateral movement skills Goldman has when he's at his best.   I'm taking my chances that the new coaching staff sparks a Quinn-like resurgence to his former high level of play.   

Tackles   Fumbles Def Interceptions
Rk Player From To Solo Ast QBHits TFL Sk FF FR Yds TD Int Yds TD
1 Eddie Goldman 2015 2021 1.5 0.7     0.2 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
2 Brandon Williams 2013 2021 1.5 1.1     0.1 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

I am just trying to project what the new regime will do. If you watch the tape, Goldman has been near replacement level this year, missed some games, and was out all last year. He only played 15 snaps in the last game where the Giants were primarily running the ball. If there was ever a game for him to dominate the middle, it was that game, and he was a ghost. 

If you go back and look at games from 2018 and 2019, you will already see a change. He got paid and his performance declined. At this point the cap space and roster spot are more valuable than he is.

4 hours ago, adam said:

I am just trying to project what the new regime will do. If you watch the tape, Goldman has been near replacement level this year, missed some games, and was out all last year. He only played 15 snaps in the last game where the Giants were primarily running the ball. If there was ever a game for him to dominate the middle, it was that game, and he was a ghost. 

If you go back and look at games from 2018 and 2019, you will already see a change. He got paid and his performance declined. At this point the cap space and roster spot are more valuable than he is.

I've been watching Goldman this year and while he is not playing at a pro bowl level, he is playing at solid contributor level.  I've also noticed that he gets a lot more attention when Hicks is out.  With that being said, he is holding his own.  I'll take him at the price he is paid.

39 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I've been watching Goldman this year and while he is not playing at a pro bowl level, he is playing at solid contributor level.  I've also noticed that he gets a lot more attention when Hicks is out.  With that being said, he is holding his own.  I'll take him at the price he is paid.

i haven't watched him extensively but have seen him on enough plays dancing at the LOS with offensive linemen to say he is easily replaceable. he rarely gets any push into the pocket and i have seen him many times getting blocked 3-5 yards back by the center or guards. this is NOT what you want to see from a nose tackle that is not drawing at least double teams. add that to how many games he misses and the size of his contract.

this says to me... dump him. ANY savings is worth it to get rid of this guy and put someone in who really wants to play in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Goldman was called out by his position coach a couple weeks ago. 

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/chris-rumph-calls-out-eddie-goldman/

Peace 

I get that we could replace his past performance but unless we go with high draft pick we're not likely to find a replacement with as high upside as Goldman.  We get $6.6mil from cutting Goldman and we have to replace all 3 starters up front:  Nichols, Hicks, Goldman

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/defensive-tackle//