Team loses OTA Practice due to CBA rule violation

adam

The Bears lost Tuesday's practice because they apparently exceeded the amount of contact activity earlier in the offseason.

Two views on this right now. One is the team is setting the new tone and culture at all costs and losing one non-contact practice is worth the price to have contact earlier in the offseason. On the flip side, this is the second public mishap by the new regime, first the Larry O contract (which potentially prevented the signing of another top FA) and now this. 

Two views on this right now. One is the team is setting the new tone and culture at all costs and losing one non-contact practice is worth the price to have contact earlier in the offseason. On the flip side, this is the second public mishap by the new regime, first the Larry O contract (which potentially prevented the signing of another top FA) and now this. 

I personally do not see the "Larry O contract" to be a "public mishap."

They attempted to make an excellent FA signing. IMO, Poles had no way of knowing for sure if Larry O would pass or fail his team physical. One would assume he would pass, right? Poles did exactly the right thing, voiding the contract. If Larry O rehabs and can pass the physical, it would be great to have him resign. Word is he was upset at Bears for voiding his contract. WHY? It is common practice to require the passing of a team physical before a FA signing, or a trade, is finalized. If he is truly upset because Poles voided his deal upon failing the physical (which Larry O probably knew was a possibility) then boo hoo. Sign somewhere else.

Waddle and Jurko were all over it this afternoon.  It was much ado about nothing.  An NFL rep happened to be there and a couple of guys were going a little harder than they should have.  They said if anything noteworthy occurred that fines would have been levied.  Eberflus has already adjusted the expectation and educated the players.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Waddle and Jurko were all over it this afternoon.  It was much ado about nothing.  An NFL rep happened to be there and a couple of guys were going a little harder than they should have.  They said if anything noteworthy occurred that fines would have been levied.  Eberflus has already adjusted the expectation and educated the players.

It seems there was a little bit of bodies banging around in a couple of the first practices but it appears it was nothing too serious.  They've adjusted.  I don't want players injured especially in practices where it is more about learning the schemes.  Other teams have had much bigger fines than this in recent years and I think if we had crossed that line we'd have already received a similar penalty.  These new coaches definitely have these guys hustling and that's a good sign.   

14 hours ago, Pixote said:

I personally do not see the "Larry O contract" to be a "public mishap."

They attempted to make an excellent FA signing. IMO, Poles had no way of knowing for sure if Larry O would pass or fail his team physical. One would assume he would pass, right? Poles did exactly the right thing, voiding the contract. If Larry O rehabs and can pass the physical, it would be great to have him resign. Word is he was upset at Bears for voiding his contract. WHY? It is common practice to require the passing of a team physical before a FA signing, or a trade, is finalized. If he is truly upset because Poles voided his deal upon failing the physical (which Larry O probably knew was a possibility) then boo hoo. Sign somewhere else.

Oh I agree, I am just saying how the media is portraying it. I did't really think either of these things were a big deal. This one is clearly not. 

I thought the Larry O thing showed them doing the right thing. I guess they could've done the physical first before announcing a deal? Maybe that was done wrong, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. There was not some other superstar waiting to sign with the Bears that they missed out on.

On 6/9/2022 at 8:43 AM, adam said:

Oh I agree, I am just saying how the media is portraying it. I did't really think either of these things were a big deal. This one is clearly not. 

I thought the Larry O thing showed them doing the right thing. I guess they could've done the physical first before announcing a deal? Maybe that was done wrong, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. There was not some other superstar waiting to sign with the Bears that they missed out on.

The previous GM might have stood by the signing! I like what Poles did.

On 6/12/2022 at 3:04 PM, lemonej said:

I agree, I would be willing to bet that Pace would have gone through with it to try and save face in the moment to the detriment of the team when it's later revealed he didn't pass and ends up not contributing due to recovering from his injury.  One thing Pace proved in his time as GM as he had conviction on moves and not even common sense could stand in the way.  

On 6/12/2022 at 2:04 PM, lemonej said:

Yeah that was one of Pace's biggest flaws. Smartest guy in the room syndrome and not admitting mistakes.