Week 1 Official Game Thread - SF @ CHI, 09/11, 12PM CDT, SF -7 O/U 41.5

adam

1 hour ago, adam said:

The Packers should be a much easier opponent next week. Stop Dillon and Jones (leading rushing and receiving). 

If they can keep pressure on Rodgers that will also be key.  He was sacked 4 times today and they lost starter OG Runyan for concussion protocol.  Bakhtiari was out today and maybe could play next week but he looks a shell of his former self.  Had a third surgery on his knee this off-season and hasn’t played much since 2020.  

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Game thoughts after re-watching things (sorry for long post):  

Topic at the top of most fan's list is the Oline:  I'm going to say things are actually looking far better than they appeared at first glance.  Obviously we had some struggles in the first quarter with their Dline but as the game moved into the 2nd quarter that improved.  Most of the issues we had in the 2nd quarter and 3rd quarter were with the 2nd level and secondary blocks (i.e. TEs and WRs).  Once we hit a few passes and got them out of the steady 8-man box we were more productive in the running game. 

David Montgomery was also part of the problem in the first half.  He had a lot of runs with nowhere to go but in the 2nd quarter the line was opening some gaps but he ran away from it into a no-gain situation.  If he made the right decision he could have picked up 3-4 yards.  Herbert came in and you saw a bit more patience and then cutbacks for daylight.  To his credit Montgomery adjusted, or the coaches adjusted him, and he found the gaps better in the 2nd half.  

Our OTs actually had a good game overall.  On one play Jones got put on his heels for a sack but after that he was pretty good against Bosa and Ebukam.  Jones is a better run blocker than I expected.  Borom too played well in pass pro.  Of course both have things to improve but for their first game against this front I'm pleased with what they did.  It should only get better from here. 

Patrick rotated series with Jenkins.  Like everyone else he struggled early on but in the 2nd half was much better.  We'll look better with him at Center and Jenkins at RG.  In fact we might look a lot better because I think he'll be better at the combo blocks and getting someone to the 2nd level which is where we must improve. 

QBs:  We drafted the better QB and Shanahan knows it.   I don't think much more needs to be said but I'll say more anyway.   I have no clue what Fields was trying to do on the INT as that type of throw into coverage is uncharacteristic of him but we didn't see more decisions like that.   While running Fields is now keeping the ball high and tight whereas last year he ran with the ball in his hand swinging leading to some fumbles.  Somebody coached him into that and it's nice to see.   In fact, for all the tight pockets he had to work with that might be the most noticeable "missing" stat versus last year. 

WRs:  We need help here and a big part of that is also run blocking.  N'Keal Harry will be a welcome return for the running game because he can cutoff some of those safety or LB plays that turned into losses.  It might not have been obvious on the replay but Pringle hesitated on his deep route and that's all it took for that pass into the endzone to be out of his reach.  He needs to learn not to give up on Fields just because he's covered.  I'd say Fields threw a perfect pass.  Other than perhaps Mooney we don't have anyone that can win early on a route.  Once the run game improves it will give these WRs and Fields more time to find to gaps in the defense.   

TEs:  Much like the Oline blocking improved as the game went along but it was bad early on.  Like everyone else they didn't get much action in the passing game.  

RBs:  I already covered Montgomery.  Herbert showed good patience and was very productive.  I'm ready for Ebner to get some looks as a 3rd down back.  

DT:   Armon Watts is our best DT and I don't think it's even close.  He can improve some of his technique but I think we have the coaches to make that happen but his length and strength show up on a high percentage of his plays (thank you Minn).  Jones is a good hustle player but he doesn't have enough length to disengage from blocks, otherwise he'd be really good.  He's the kind of guy you'd like as your 3rd DT.  He's good enough that he'll have some good plays for us especially once he's paired more often with Watts.  Blackson was pretty boring to watch.  Pennell is the classic hold-the-line type of player.   Adding one stud DT in the next offseason paired with Watts and Jones and we'd be good.   For now the rally-to-the-ball ethos masks some of their deficiencies.   

DE:  Dominique Robinson is going to become a household name among NFL fans.  I'm not saying that just because of the sacks.  He won early on one snap from the DT position and caused an errant pass from Lance.  He hustled all over the field.  On Jackson's INT he blocked Deebo because he was already running back to ball after the pass was thrown and that allowed Jackson to gain 20 yds.  His athleticism and rush ability already stands out among our DEs and he's still learning.  He gave Trent Williams all he could handle (even got held on a couple plays IMO).  There was one play where the 49ers had him triple teamed and he was still active on the play.  Everyone else from Quinn, Gipson, and AQM looked ok and we have a good rotation but this rookie is going to ascend this year not next year.  

LBs:  I didn't focus on them at all.  I think they too got better in coverage as the game went along.  Other than that it seemed like rally-to-the-ball.  

CBs:  Vildor is still Vildor but he's much better with his eyes facing the QB.  We'll survive with him.  Gordon had a few mistakes but also a few good plays.  

S:  Hello Eddie Jackson where have you been?  I've seen some people blame him for Deebo's TD but in reality Deebo is a WR in a LBs body.  IMO the only way theoretically possible to stop that TD was to hit him high but there is almost no chance of winning that battle.  Normally you'd always tackle Deebo low but that would let him get over the top for the TD.  Nonetheless Eddie went all in to stop him and hit him high so I'll at least respect that effort.  When I rewatched the game there were quite a few other running plays where Eddie flew in from deep to either make a tackle or force the play back inside.  The INT was classic Eddie from years ago.  Not only that, I saw him often communicating pre-snap with LBs and DBs.  He's different this year I hope it continues.  Brisker had his rookie moments missing some tackles but also making some big plays.  With experience it just better from here.  

Overall the Niners left points or first downs on the board and much of that was Lance's inaccuracy.  Kittle playing probably would have changed the outcome but I don't care.  We held them to 10pts and that's a great defensive effort in any NFL game especially considering the offensive futility we had for 2 1/2 quarters.  

Coaching:  Wow!  Even under the pressure of a first game and 3 rookies starting at key positions we still look like a well coached, disciplined, and organized team.  During the replay I noticed Fields was usually at the LOS around 12-15s and we snapped the ball with 5-7 sec on the clock.  He can relax and read the D.  

Kudos to Eberflus for walking the sideline and thanking the players at the end of the game.  You always see some of that on a first win (i.e. Vikings game) where players come to the head coach and congratulate him.  This was a HC going down the sideline to the players which in effect is saying I didn't win this game you did.  It's just different but I like it.  I'm excited for next week's game.  

This is a crazy good stat line for a 5th Rd rookie DE, Dom Robinson, who played as a backup, often going against All Pro Trent Williams:  

7 tackles total, 5 solo, 1.5 sacks,  1 TFL. 

Nick Bosa, often going against 5th Rd rookie LT or last years 5th rd rookie RT:

5 tackles total, 4 solo, 1 sack, 1 TFL. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401437647

This was an awkward start but everyone played better in the second half. Smith isn't up to speed yet and he will be better. Robinson only had 29 defensive snaps, which is amazing for his production. This could be Poles best rookie as a 5 th round pick. I think the rotation of the D.  line kept them fresh and will continue to show better results.

We have a long way to go on offense  but this was the 3rd ranked D last year and the fact we scored 3 TDs is amazing. As the ground game gets better and a more effective passing game keeps teams out of 8 in the box, we will show better offensive production. We had only a few shots down field but several hit, which will open up defenses more to help our running game. Fields will get more efficient as the line gives him more time. The weather affected the game a lot but bolds well for not being killer by penalties. Take away the towel penalty, that was only 2.

The better coaching showed in every area of the game. When I thought we could win 9 games, this game only reinforced that.

• adam unfeatured and unpinned this topic
18 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I just read where the towel penality should have only been 5 yds instead of 15, we still could have kicked a FG. The refs screwed up.

It depends on which rule they applied. The unsportsmanlike was for bringing a "foreign object" onto the field. 

There was some other discussion about the 5 yard variety, but that would have been a different call.