Logic be damned, I cant wait for Sunday

BearFan PHX

I know what i "know" about our roster this year - where the holes are, why it's a building year etc. I still believe all of that.

But gosh darnit, Im excited for opening day, and Im gonna forget what I know and start dreaming. Lets go Bears!

I always try to be positive and look to what is possible, but I have to say, I am questioning my optimism with all the National press that we are (last place) (2 wins). I think it is possible to bring in NFL players that could be breaking out and not be big time names. Not all of them are going to hit, but you dont need all of them to hit. If one new WR plays well that gives us Mooney, Kmet, Monty, Hebert, and who? ESB or Pettis or V. Jones or Pringle ?  Above all the growth of Justin Fields as a potenial top 10 QB and you have something positive going. Then Flus has been successful every where his has coached on Defense. The 7 to the ball mentality with the uptick in TOs and the defense should be a lot better. Last yr we were 4th in sacks and I think we could be better this yr with 4 potenial blue chip pass rushers. We added speed, and Justin Jones is going to surprise everyone. That is the making of a good defense. How does that not make us a better team? I dont get it?  We will see how well Poles evaualtes the Oline in the first two games. If he has improved it, that will lead to some more wins. Add in a focused coaching staff and I see us winning more games than we lose. Obviously injuries will come into play. Hope that works out. Now its real, play ball.

I am so excited for this season, even more than 2019 after coming off the 12-4 season. I didn't know what the problem was, but felt like Trubisky was never the answer (who knew it was Nagy too at that point).

This season is so different. Fields really feels like the guy and we are about to have our first franchise QB (drafted) since Sid Luckman. To think, Fields really didn't have an offseason last year as QB3 and QB play requires a ton of preparation and he got none of that last year. Now he comes in with an entire offseason with Getsy, an actual NFL scheme, and with enough quality around him to succeed. As long as the O-Line is not a jailbreak on every play, he will be fine.

There are so many new faces, I am excited to see them all. Can Brisker and Gordon live up to the hype? Can Braxton Jones really be a starting LT? Was Velus the right pick? What will Morrow look like next to Roquan? Can Jones be that guy inside?

With the returning guys, can Fields take the next step? Can Kmet become an elite TE? Is Mooney a true WR1? How will Monty look in this scheme? Can Quinn get double-digit sacks again? Can Gipson get better with more reps? Is Jaylon a Pro Bowl Corner? Can Jackson return to his pre-injury days? What does a mad Roquan play like? Can Jenkins and Borom anchor the line? How will Santos kick on Bermuda?

I don't even care about the record. I don't expect them to make the playoffs and would be happy with 7 wins. Anything else is just icing on the cake. I just want Fields to cement himself as a top 15 starter with top 10 upside, reduce his turnovers and sacks, and have a very solid Year 2. 

1) It's the preseason games that have me excited to start the season.  After the first game I simply said we looked organized.  That held up across all 3 games.  In the past the team performance was usually chaotic so I focused on the good individual performances and how that would carry us during the season.  The expectation was that the team performance would come together as the season progressed.  This is just different from anything I've seen in a couple decades which is about when I started to follow the team more closely in the offseason. 

2). Fields' progression through the preseason demonstrating better ability to read defenses and he stayed with his new mechanics.  He still has a way to go but the trend is steep enough that even a couple more weeks of practice should help him improve further.  

3). Ryan Poles first offseason has brought in more good young talent than expected.  I was hoping for 2 starters and at least one future starter.  We ended up with 3 starters in Braxton Jones, Gordon, Brisker, plus a punter.   Future starters or at least contributors include Ebner, Velus Jones, Carter, and now I think we can toss in Leatherwood. 

He stayed the course avoiding the over-priced FA acquisitions that would affect our future cap flexibility.  Add to that a coaching staff that is both confident in their ability to teach the rookies and is willing let them play if they earn it.  Playing the rookies will give us a good indication where the roster stands heading into next offseason.   

Now I am anxious to see the results on the field to validate we have some foundational pieces in place:  coaching, young talent, QB.  

58 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

1) It's the preseason games that have me excited to start the season.  After the first game I simply said we looked organized.  That held up across all 3 games.  In the past the team performance was usually chaotic so I focused on the good individual performances and how that would carry us during the season.  The expectation was that the team performance would come together as the season progressed.  This is just different from anything I've seen in a couple decades which is about when I started to follow the team more closely in the offseason. 

2). Fields' progression through the preseason demonstrating better ability to read defenses and he stayed with his new mechanics.  He still has a way to go but the trend is steep enough that even a couple more weeks of practice should help him improve further.  

3). Ryan Poles first offseason has brought in more good young talent than expected.  I was hoping for 2 starters and at least one future starter.  We ended up with 3 starters in Braxton Jones, Gordon, Brisker, plus a punter.   Future starters or at least contributors include Ebner, Velus Jones, Carter, and now I think we can toss in Leatherwood. 

He stayed the course avoiding the over-priced FA acquisitions that would affect our future cap flexibility.  Add to that a coaching staff that is both confident in their ability to teach the rookies and is willing let them play if they earn it.  Playing the rookies will give us a good indication where the roster stands heading into next offseason.   

Now I am anxious to see the results on the field to validate we have some foundational pieces in place:  coaching, young talent, QB.  

I agree with all of this, especially #1. It just feels really different.

Yes.  This has been the longest week for a week one I can remember.  I feel optimistic for this season.  I want more that Fields showing good progress   I want to see at least a half dozen other players who are lower draft picks or one year signs.  I this the FO did good this year and I would like to see them do similar next year.  Don't just spend money because you have it.

Just now, Bill said:

Yes.  This has been the longest week for a week one I can remember.  I feel optimistic for this season.  I want more that Fields showing good progress   I want to see at least a half dozen other players who are lower draft picks or one year signs.  I this the FO did good this year and I would like to see them do similar next year.  Don't just spend money because you have it.

I meant half a dozen winning starting jobs going forward.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Most of us have posted here for a long time, so we kinda know each other.  This is the administration and approach I know I have wanted since Jim Finks.  And it looks like it's being done the same way.  Up front!  I love what I see.  It's weird because I feel like I'm validating my football life through this admin, yet have nothing to do with it.

On 9/9/2022 at 6:47 AM, adam said:

I am so excited for this season, even more than 2019 after coming off the 12-4 season. I didn't know what the problem was, but felt like Trubisky was never the answer (who knew it was Nagy too at that point).

This season is so different. Fields really feels like the guy and we are about to have our first franchise QB (drafted) since Sid Luckman. To think, Fields really didn't have an offseason last year as QB3 and QB play requires a ton of preparation and he got none of that last year. Now he comes in with an entire offseason with Getsy, an actual NFL scheme, and with enough quality around him to succeed. As long as the O-Line is not a jailbreak on every play, he will be fine.

There are so many new faces, I am excited to see them all. Can Brisker and Gordon live up to the hype? Can Braxton Jones really be a starting LT? Was Velus the right pick? What will Morrow look like next to Roquan? Can Jones be that guy inside?

With the returning guys, can Fields take the next step? Can Kmet become an elite TE? Is Mooney a true WR1? How will Monty look in this scheme? Can Quinn get double-digit sacks again? Can Gipson get better with more reps? Is Jaylon a Pro Bowl Corner? Can Jackson return to his pre-injury days? What does a mad Roquan play like? Can Jenkins and Borom anchor the line? How will Santos kick on Bermuda?

I don't even care about the record. I don't expect them to make the playoffs and would be happy with 7 wins. Anything else is just icing on the cake. I just want Fields to cement himself as a top 15 starter with top 10 upside, reduce his turnovers and sacks, and have a very solid Year 2. 

16 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Most of us have posted here for a long time, so we kinda know each other.  This is the administration and approach I know I have wanted since Jim Finks.  And it looks like it's being done the same way.  Up front!  I love what I see.  It's weird because I feel like I'm validating my football life through this admin, yet have nothing to do with it.

Yes the most hopium I have had since 2019 also.  But that turned out to be lost hope.  I think we have found some front office and coaches that are looking forward to building a long term team.  Not just a one year shot.  I had a ton of hope after 2018 and Nagy seemed to say all the right things.  I thought we had found our long term coach.  It was a good start but he had no idea how to build an offense or team going forward.  And pace only thought of his job.  I think this bunch knows they have at least three years and are laying a strong foundation brick by brick.  Progress vs wins this year at all position groups.  But winning would also be great!!