Draft Slot Tracker (thru Week 15)

adam

3 minutes ago, scs787 said:

You should get good players anywhere in the 1st round....but it's more likely you get a great player the higher up you are.

I'd love to lose every game 42-35 or something like that where the offense is clearly balling out and ready to contend. 

Regardless of how well Poles may be able to ID talent, the Bears can use the value of a top 3-5 pick.  That slot could net them the ability to gain numerous additional picks for years. 

Trade down from 4 to 15 and gain a future 1st. The team they traded with will not win many games with a rookie QB so next year they have another top 10 pick from that trade and they can move down again and again year after year. 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Regardless of how well Poles may be able to ID talent, the Bears can use the value of a top 3-5 pick.  That slot could net them the ability to gain numerous additional picks for years. 

Trade down from 4 to 15 and gain a future 1st. The team they traded with will not win many games with a rookie QB so next year they have another top 10 pick from that trade and they can move down again and again year after year. 

If that's available to them, I'd definitely be open to it, but man, if you can get a guy like Jalen Carter who solves your 3T for the next 5+ years, I think long and hard about staying put too. They need an impact player on that defense.  

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

If that's available to them, I'd definitely be open to it, but man, if you can get a guy like Jalen Carter who solves your 3T for the next 5+ years, I think long and hard about staying put too. They need an impact player on that defense.  

A Warren Sapp would make the cover 2 run.

52 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

The trenches on both sides need a serious work done. There's just no pass rush at all. I think the DL needs 4 new starters. Jones and Dom can be rotation pieces at DT and DE respectively.  

Daron Payne is my #1 target in the offseason.  

55 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Sapp was special like Aaron Donald is now.  I'd love a guy like that or a Micah Parsons type of player.  Even though corner is not an issue, I'd draft a Sauce Gardner.  But if they can't get someone that they feel is generational, they gotta trade it.

32 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Sapp was special like Aaron Donald is now.  I'd love a guy like that or a Micah Parsons type of player.  Even though corner is not an issue, I'd draft a Sauce Gardner.  But if they can't get someone that they feel is generational, they gotta trade it.

for sure - it takes more than just drafting someone high to make them a generational talent. Thats a mistake weve made many times on the 90s and beyond. but if you can find that guy, he sure does make a difference at 3T for this defensive scheme.

49 minutes ago, scs787 said:

To me, Jalen Carter can be that guy you can't pass on if he's there. 

I was the highest on this board about Aaron Donald when he came out, and I think Carter is the next guy I'm going to bat for. 

I'm in agreement on Jaylen.   I'm expecting we'll have a top 15 pick maybe as high as 10.  Players I like there are DT Bresee, DE Foskey, OTs Broderick Jones, Jaelyn Duncan, and possibly Skoronski (he looks slow to me).  Preference is for one of the defensive players but Fields is the future and that starts now.  

I believe Braxton Jones can fix his issues with bull rushes with an offseason to focus on his technique.  At RT I don't think Borom is the answer.  He's either our swing OT or needs to move inside.   Leatherwood is still a question mark at OT and if not there, is he an OG?  Ideally we find a way to get these guys (Leatherwood, Carter, Eiselen) some reps by the end of the season so we can have some idea what we have on the Oline.   While I see options inside we have nothing at RT beyond hoping it's Leatherwood. 

RT could be something we address in FA if a good option is there.  Whitehair might be the veteran leader today but it's entirely possible we move on from him in favor of the younger OGs.  In that case adding a vet presence to the line would be helpful IMO.   If Elgton Jenkins hits the market that would appear to be the best solution.  Market value is forecasted to be $14mil/yr, we could get back $10mil of that cap hit by making Whitehair a post Jun 1st cut.      

47 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I'm in agreement on Jaylen.   I'm expecting we'll have a top 15 pick maybe as high as 10.  Players I like there are DT Bresee, DE Foskey, OTs Broderick Jones, Jaelyn Duncan, and possibly Skoronski (he looks slow to me).  Preference is for one of the defensive players but Fields is the future and that starts now.  

I believe Braxton Jones can fix his issues with bull rushes with an offseason to focus on his technique.  At RT I don't think Borom is the answer.  He's either our swing OT or needs to move inside.   Leatherwood is still a question mark at OT and if not there, is he an OG?  Ideally we find a way to get these guys (Leatherwood, Carter, Eiselen) some reps by the end of the season so we can have some idea what we have on the Oline.   While I see options inside we have nothing at RT beyond hoping it's Leatherwood. 

RT could be something we address in FA if a good option is there.  Whitehair might be the veteran leader today but it's entirely possible we move on from him in favor of the younger OGs.  In that case adding a vet presence to the line would be helpful IMO.   If Elgton Jenkins hits the market that would appear to be the best solution.  Market value is forecasted to be $14mil/yr, we could get back $10mil of that cap hit by making Whitehair a post Jun 1st cut.      

I'm with you on Braxton, I think he gets another year with heavy focus on strength training in the offseason.  RT, if he hits the market, I want Conklin. I'd be fine with Jenkins but I want the best player available and to me thats Conklin.  

Ours Jenkins has obviously solved RG. I wanna see how Whitehair plays the rest of the season before I commit to him. The Bears won't be pinching pennies by any means, but if someone lines up at guard as BPA in the draft I could get behind just cutting ties. 

To me, the large focus in free agency should be on the lines. 

26 minutes ago, scs787 said:

To me, the large focus in free agency should be on the lines. 

I cant argue with that. Main needs are DT, DE, OT, LB, OC, CB, WR and possibly S if we dont want to pay Ejax.

We need help on the OL, and at every level of the defense, especially the front 7.

18 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I cant argue with that. Main needs are DT, DE, OT, LB, OC, CB, WR and possibly S if we dont want to pay Ejax.

We need help on the OL, and at every level of the defense, especially the front 7.

Agreed.  This will be fun when Adam gets involved to let us know who's available as free agents, so we play GM with "who to draft, who to sign".  I predict we draft more defenders than offense.

I think the rest of the year will determine Jones fate at LT. If he progresses, I think they go forward with him. If he doesnt get better, I can see this being a priority in FA. Orlando Brown was tagged this yr and if they tag him again, they will have to pay him 20 mil. Next yr is when Mahomes contract kicks in and they will be more scrutinized with their money.

If Whitehair is up to speed, I think the next two yrs is our go get a title time with Fields on a cheap contract, so I think they keep him. Their grooming Carter to take that spot and think they give him  one more yr to grow.

If Patrick comes back and plays solid, they will keep him there. If not, they have Kramer in the wings or may draft another OC. Bradley Bozeman and Ethan Pocic will be available in FA. They have Patrick signed next yr but only cost 1.3 mil to cut him.

Jenkins is a future pro bowler, enough said about that.

They have both Leatherwood and Borom signed for next yr. This yr I think when Leatherwood is ready they play him to see what they have. 

If they go on a run to the playoffs, they will not load the OL down with all young players, that is why I think that Whitehair stays, Patrick maybe . If Leatherwood doenst work out, they could draft another RT to be in the hunt. I dont think they pay a RT a big contract to come in.

So I think next yr will be Jones-Whitehair-Patrick or FA Evan Pocic-Jenkins-Leatherwood or a draft pick.Olumuyiwa Fashanu or Jaelyn Duncan.

Chiefs have $28mil in cap space with just 33 players under contract.  Frank Clark is the obvious cut saving them $20mil. in space but $7mil in dead cap.   The only other significant option is Valdes-Scantling which would save $7mil but also $4mil dead cap.   They don't have other easy options so this is a team to watch in the offseason.  If they want to get rid of Chris Jones I'll take him off their hands but most likely they'll try to extend his deal and push out the cap space hit.  

15 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Agreed.  This will be fun when Adam gets involved to let us know who's available as free agents, so we play GM with "who to draft, who to sign".  I predict we draft more defenders than offense.

I'm making a list right now. WR is weak in free agency but they can definitely fill some holes in the trenches. 

7 minutes ago, lemonej said:

I'm all in for Clemson DT Bresee at a top 15 pick but, with the Colts in a flux, is De Forest Buckner available? He played for Eberflus.

That entire Colts situation and how the GM Chris Ballard got put on the sideline by the owner is an interesting story.  It was just last year they were a team on the rise with 9 wins and 2nd place in their division.  Unfortunately Ballard brought the Chicago QB luck with him (and lost Luck).  I don't understand the whole Jeff Saturday situation with him never coaching in the league.  Even if he's capable of leading a team, that seems like someone who is way underprepared for that job to just walk in midseason.  Compare that to Eberflus who seems to have pre-planned for everything from the details of each practice to exactly what happens during bye weeks.  

7 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

That entire Colts situation and how the GM Chris Ballard got put on the sideline by the owner is an interesting story.  It was just last year they were a team on the rise with 9 wins and 2nd place in their division.  Unfortunately Ballard brought the Chicago QB luck with him (and lost Luck).  I don't understand the whole Jeff Saturday situation with him never coaching in the league.  Even if he's capable of leading a team, that seems like someone who is way underprepared for that job to just walk in midseason.  Compare that to Eberflus who seems to have pre-planned for everything from the details of each practice to exactly what happens during bye weeks.  

Supposedly he has been a team consultant for a while Also he is real friendly with Irsay.

Maybe if you draft a guy and develop him like Manning and Luck, we are not talking about this.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2022/11/9/23445383/2023-nfl-draft-top-15-defensive-tackles-chicago-bears-scouting-reports-jalen-carter-bryan-bresee

Aside from the obvious top 2 DTs on the list (Carter, Bresee) I like what I see from Siaki Ika, Myles Murphy.   Siaki is just a load to work against and moves well laterally making him very tough to block.  Might not be a true 3-tech but having him on the line can only help if he could be in the shape Eberflus demands.  That's a big question mark right now.  Murphy is a high effort player with good movement skills but has poor stats this season.  I only saw his 2021 highlights and don't know how he's being utilized this season.  Could be a day 3 addition to replace someone like Blackson.   

The main takeaway for me is that this Dline draft class doesn't appear to be very deep so FA has to play a bigger role here.  The lack of depth could motivate younger DTs to declare early.  

Great video highlighting our GMs scouting work and philosophy.  It is interesting that we have a GM, assistant GM, and coaches like Getsy who all prefer to be on the sidelines during games.  From top to bottom our staff values the relationship aspect of the players and team overall.    

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/a-weekend-on-the-college-scouting-trail-with-poles-cunningham-1920-football-driv

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Great video highlighting our GMs scouting work and philosophy.  It is interesting that we have a GM, assistant GM, and coaches like Getsy who all prefer to be on the sidelines during games.  From top to bottom our staff values the relationship aspect of the players and team overall.    

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/a-weekend-on-the-college-scouting-trail-with-poles-cunningham-1920-football-driv

It makes you feel good about who is in charge of building this roster.  I hope Cunningham stays.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I think before people start stealing our coaches , they probably need to stack some wins. Getsy seems like he could be a future head coach but doubt if its this yr if we continue to lose. If we went 6-2 it may make people notice.

Our 32nd ranked pass offense isn't likely to generate a lot of HC offers.  He can get credit for having one of the best running games but how many teams have a QB like Fields?   Even then it's only generated 3 wins so far.  

There are going to be a ton of cap casualties this offseason as well, 8 teams are already over the cap for 2023, Miami only has 500K, and the Packers, Browns, and Rams will need to shed some salary. That is 12 teams who are going to cut some veterans, and some teams will need to do those pre-June 1st in order to sign new players. 

Saints, Bucs, Titans, Chargers, Vikings, Jaguars, Bills, and Panthers are all in terrible shape for next season cap-wise.

• adam changed the title to Draft Slot Tracker (thru Week 15)