Roquan Traded to Ravens

AZ54

When I saw Sanborn take defensive snaps for the first time this year, I thought Morrow was hurt. Now with the trade of Roquan I think he may see more playing time on defense. I wouldn't be shocked if Montgomery is dealt also. Herbert has been getting the bulk of the second half carries in recent games.

12 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

This article really nails it, I think. And they don't mention the game week he didn't show up for still undisclosed reasons. Or his rookie holdout.

But most damning are these lines :

"Truth be told, he is closer to Briggs than Urlacher at this stage of his career — more of a highly potent tackle machine than a destructive game-changing Hall of Fame[r]."

and

"Smith had every reason to think he should be the highest-paid inside linebacker in football —he’s accomplished and still young. And Poles has a case for not splurging on an off-the-ball linebacker who — even if he is the best inside linebacker in football — is not a dominant, destructive, $20 million-a-year force."

$20 Million a year players are game changers. Whatever Roquan is, and it's a lot, it isn't that. And in the end, that's what matters at that price, or you've overpaid.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/2022/10/31/23433861/bears-never-fell-in-love-with-roquan-smith

This, he may  established himself more this year as a playmaker, but he has games like the Dallas game that causes questions. This move is saying Poles doesn't think Roqaun is worth 20 mil a year in a long term contract. If he's going to spend money on a player, it needs to be a more valuable position. WR, DT, DE. He got something for a player that would have been gone after this year. 

54 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Rumor swirling the Rams trade Cam Akers and a mid round pick for Montgomery.  

Acquiring a RB that's hurt all the time doesn't seem to fit Poles actions. If anything, he wants draft picks. Monty sets a tone for the O even thou Herbert has been doing better. The combination of the two is working. With the drafting of Ebner and possibility of V Jones getting some carries could change that decision.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Acquiring a RB that's hurt all the time doesn't seem to fit Poles actions. If anything, he wants draft picks. Monty sets a tone for the O even thou Herbert has been doing better. The combination of the two is working. With the drafting of Ebner and possibility of V Jones getting some carries could change that decision.

Rams are either cutting or trading Akers.   If Poles can get a 4th and Akers, it is better than just a 4th.  They don't have to keep him if he is garbage. 

Roquan was not coming back here next year unless tagged. The fact he doesn't have an agent makes it extremely difficult to negotiate with. Further, he plays a luxury position that the Bears cannot afford to pay 20 million a year for. I wish him well but am glad he's gone. 

Peace

1 hour ago, Connorbear said:

Roquan was not coming back here next year unless tagged. The fact he doesn't have an agent makes it extremely difficult to negotiate with. Further, he plays a luxury position that the Bears cannot afford to pay 20 million a year for. I wish him well but am glad he's gone. 

Peace

zactly

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

They got their WR for a higher cost (2nd) than what I would put on Montegomery right now. If Montgomery takes a modest contract deal, I would be happy to see him stay. 

They did it to prevent GB from getting him and adding to our WR room. They still have a 2nd but 15 spots later.

8 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Peace

Just listened to Poles' press conference and he was pretty clear the $17mil (or whatever our final offer was) is where he was going to stay.  It was obvious he hadn't seen enough on the field to make him think differently.  Therefore it wasn't likely a middle ground would ever be found so in that sense you are correct.... get value now for Roquan in 2023 or risk getting nothing or best case something even further down the road in 2024.  

As good as Roquan was some games, others he would disappear. You can't pay someone $20M who doesn't show up every week. Roquan had at least 2 stinkers this year. 

It is going to be interesting to see how the Ravens handle it and what he gets. Remember they still have to deal with Lamar Jackson, and neither have an agent.