Week 18 Official Game Thread MIN @ CHI, SUN 1/8, 12PM

adam

With Peterman starting and half the team on IR, this is probably going to be an ugly game. It may also be the last game for Montgomery in a Bears uniform. That is also probably the case with half the players on the roster. 

I expect some big turnover this offseason as most of the 1-yr contracts didn't impress. 

Viqueens 38-13

Peterman with 3 INTs, and we will probably see some Boyle. 

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Totally agree - I think we will see massive turnover on the roster, more than anyone is expecting, but I still hold out hope for Montgomery. I think hes an excellent player.

I like Monty and hope he doesn't want a fat payday.  The fact that Poles hasn't extended him tells me a lot.  It may be the end of the 'jump cut'.

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I like Monty and hope he doesn't want a fat payday.  The fact that Poles hasn't extended him tells me a lot.  It may be the end of the 'jump cut'.

Great team player, but FA market saturated with solid RBs like Monty. The Jump Cut was like a nervous tick for him. He did it regardless of the situation, which 80% of the time was unnecessary and allowed the defender to close on him.

Just looking at some names: Barkley, Jacobs, Sanders, Pollard, Williams, Hunt, Foreman, Robinson, Harris, Jones, etc. All under 30. Jacobs and Robinson only 25!

6 hours ago, adam said:

Great team player, but FA market saturated with solid RBs like Monty. The Jump Cut was like a nervous tick for him. He did it regardless of the situation, which 80% of the time was unnecessary and allowed the defender to close on him.

Just looking at some names: Barkley, Jacobs, Sanders, Pollard, Williams, Hunt, Foreman, Robinson, Harris, Jones, etc. All under 30. Jacobs and Robinson only 25!

Jacobs may be 25 but that'd be like buying a used car with lots of miles on it.  She might still look pretty but the maintenance costs are going to catch up to you.  

10 hours ago, adam said:

Poles wasn't going to extend anyone until he seen them up close and personal. With the glut of RBs this year, he knows that's his advantage, why extend him. The history in KC was new RBs all the time, so he may look for a better fit for his offense. I suspect Flus will have a lot of input into the decision. Things you don't see in stats, work ethic, team leader, toughness. Those intangibles defines Monty. If you're trying to build a culture, he fits in. They had a great 1-2 punch with Monty and Herbert, maybe still leading the league? There both young, look north for the answer, Dillion and Jonea, that's the offense we've running.

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Jacobs may be 25 but that'd be like buying a used car with lots of miles on it.  She might still look pretty but the maintenance costs are going to catch up to you.  

Absolutely, with any second contract RB, you are buying a Mustang that was a rental car. However, there are a bunch of guys with a lot more miles than some of the others, and I am sure this will come into play. Jacobs has over 1000 carries and is only 25. Monty has a lot of wear and tear and this may be a factor in them moving on from him.

Career Rushing Attempts

Jacobs 1055 
Barkley 954
Montgomery 908
Williams 899
Hunt 891
Sanders 728
-------------
Robinson 514 
Pollard 503 
Jones 496
Harris 436
Foreman 431
Penny 337

I like the group below the line. Robinson was a 1K back, Pollard has looked explosive rushing and receiving.  Foreman has looked solid for a terrible Panthers team. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

Absolutely, with any second contract RB, you are buying a Mustang that was a rental car. However, there are a bunch of guys with a lot more miles than some of the others, and I am sure this will come into play. Jacobs has over 1000 carries and is only 25. Monty has a lot of wear and tear and this may be a factor in them moving on from him.

Career Rushing Attempts

Jacobs 1055 
Barkley 954
Montgomery 908
Williams 899
Hunt 891
Sanders 728
-------------
Robinson 514 
Pollard 503 
Jones 496
Harris 436
Foreman 431
Penny 337

I like the group below the line. Robinson was a 1K back, Pollard has looked explosive rushing and receiving.  Foreman has looked solid for a terrible Panthers team. 

Pollard is my first choice if they move on from Monty.  I still would not be shocked if they take a RB 2nd or 3rd round as long as they accumulate picks by trading down.  They got to watch two of my favorite prospects up close.  Jahmyr Gibbs Ala and Sean Tucker Syracuse.  Gibbs is one of my favorite because he can do it all (run, catch, and block.)  I know it is not popular, but a great receiving back like Gibbs will be a huge piece for this offense to help Fields. 

For running back, Poles has a list of players he'd like. He will wait until most of those players are gone and take one of the last few names that still make his cut. That's the way to fill the RB position with value. I think this is true of RBs more than any other position. Maybe safety - and for the same reason, youre looking for talent in a very large group of men who are 5' 11" 220, rather than looking for an athlete at LT among a smaller group of men who are 6' 7" 330.

Monty did well with pass protection, and was a good one / two punch with Herbert. I could see us keeping him. But i agree, the money would have to be right.

7 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

For running back, Poles has a list of players he'd like. He will wait until most of those players are gone and take one of the last few names that still make his cut. That's the way to fill the RB position with value. I think this is true of RBs more than any other position. Maybe safety - and for the same reason, youre looking for talent in a very large group of men who are 5' 11" 220, rather than looking for an athlete at LT among a smaller group of men who are 6' 7" 330.

Monty did well with pass protection, and was a good one / two punch with Herbert. I could see us keeping him. But i agree, the money would have to be right.

So just like Brisker are you saying Poles is using the late 2nd on a RB?

14 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Pollard is my first choice if they move on from Monty.  I still would not be shocked if they take a RB 2nd or 3rd round as long as they accumulate picks by trading down.  They got to watch two of my favorite prospects up close.  Jahmyr Gibbs Ala and Sean Tucker Syracuse.  Gibbs is one of my favorite because he can do it all (run, catch, and block.)  I know it is not popular, but a great receiving back like Gibbs will be a huge piece for this offense to help Fields. 

Pollard would be very interesting coupled with Fields. Dak is like a poor man's Fields at this point. More polished as a Passer, but still makes some terrible decisions and is not the runner like Fields.

RPO with Pollard and Fields would be fun. Pollard hits the hole so fast that the Edge would be a wasted player on the field every time that was run.