2023 NFL Free Agency Open Thread (Pinned)

adam

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

True.  

On the surface the trade value is kind of a nothing to lose deal but if you got rid of Claypool due to work ethic issues, or poor fit in the locker room.  Then how does ARob help that situation with a young WR corps which already has a bit of a head case in Pickens on the roster?   Pickens has already caused issues on the sidelines.  ARob mopes around a lot if he doesn't get things his way.  

• 2 weeks later...

As the draft approaches , there are many good free agents left on the market. Also some will be released as rookies are signed. We are first claim on the waiver wire to add vets. So if we miss a position upgrade, we can still fix the roster. We still have the highest amount of money to spend. 

I think its critical to add a RT, Edge, and 3 T in the draft.There are good options on defense yet but thin at OL in free agency. I think that comes into play with our first pick to make sure we get a RT.

PJJ-Jones-Wright-Skoronski- Harrison. Outlier: Mauch-Bergeron-Freeland-Duncan-Morris.

2 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

yes this is our biggest need now. I dont see Ngakoue being that good or a long term answer, but on a one year deal for $9M, sure lets grab him.

Agreed. Signs him to a one year deal and move forward. 

Peace

On 4/28/2023 at 8:22 PM, BearFan PHX said:

yes this is our biggest need now. I dont see Ngakoue being that good or a long term answer, but on a one year deal for $9M, sure lets grab him.

HIs last contract earned him $13mil/yr so I'm sure in his mind that's where the negotiations start.  Post draft if he's lowered his price, perhaps to your $9mil target then I could see us willing to talk.  

27 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

HIs last contract earned him $13mil/yr so I'm sure in his mind that's where the negotiations start.  Post draft if he's lowered his price, perhaps to your $9mil target then I could see us willing to talk.  

For sure, and his value projection is $14.4M/year - but thats on a 4 year deal etc. When it gets to this time of year, good players take cheaper one year deals, and figure they will get back into the market next year. I pulled $9M out of my butt as a generous figure, discounted from his true value because of the circumstance. But I surely don't know what it would really take. i just know if he doesnt play for someone this year, and play well, he doesnt cash in next year. And he and his agent know it too.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

For sure, and his value projection is $14.4M/year - but thats on a 4 year deal etc. When it gets to this time of year, good players take cheaper one year deals, and figure they will get back into the market next year. I pulled $9M out of my butt as a generous figure, discounted from his true value because of the circumstance. But I surely don't know what it would really take. i just know if he doesnt play for someone this year, and play well, he doesnt cash in next year. And he and his agent know it too.

He's played 3 yrs in a row on one year contracts. At this stage of free agency with some other vets getting cut, he's probably going to sign cheaper. One year, 10 mil with bonuses sounds doable.

I heard that Monday is the day that you can start signing free agents without having it affect your compensatory picks. I feel like we aren’t getting any anyway because of the guys we’ve signed, but maybe we see some activity then or after rookie minicamp. 

I seen someone mention Melvin  Ingram for our pass rush help in FA. He had 494 snaps. 6 sacks, 23 pressures. I suspect would come cheap. I dont think Poles ends up adding a big name for edge help. So this seems like a likely choice.

DeMaucus Walker might be underrated by fans. 

404 snaps, 32 Ts, 7 sacks, 10 TFL, 16 qb hits. 32 qb pressures. 

Some people are wanting some bigger named edge rushers that had worst stats. 

Frank Clark   717 snaps, 39 ts, 5 sacks, 8 tfl, 13 qb hits, 24 qb pressures. 

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

does anyone know if the new TE is a blocker or a pass catcher?

More receiver than blocker, and I'm not so sure how good he is as a receiver/route runner.  He's been  around the Browns for a couple years so he's been working on his craft.  At this point we have little competition for the 3rd TE role so he has as good a chance as anyone.  

For me, UDFAs are just about finding one or two players that surprise you. (Jack Sanborn), hard to say who when you never paid much attention to these players. 

Obviously the kicker Andre Szmyt

Gabriel Houy/OL  nasty attitude, lots of starts

Thyrick Pitts/WR  6'3  203  4.37 speed. 

Tyson Bagent/QB  highly successfull QB Getsy coached him in the senior bowl.

47 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

For me, UDFAs are just about finding one or two players that surprise you. (Jack Sanborn), hard to say who when you never paid much attention to these players. 

Obviously the kicker Andre Szmyt

Gabriel Houy/OL  nasty attitude, lots of starts

Thyrick Pitts/WR  6'3  203  4.37 speed. 

Tyson Bagent/QB  highly successfull QB Getsy coached him in the senior bowl.

Bagent has a weak arm.  He’s on par with Peterman but Peterman at least knows the NFL.  

• adam unpinned this topic