A Case for Bijan...

Mongo3451

5 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Google his clocked speed in mph with next generation.

When I said his burst, it was in regards to his 40 time.  

I copied one article. 

He has a fast 10, then can turn it on. Who knows if he has faster 40 times besides the combinel.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Roschon-Johnson-RB-Texas

So I'm totally not meaning to be fighty here at all, i just think some of that wrong.

You're right the article claimed 22.6MPH on the GPS machine, which is an inaccurate thing you wear on your leg or something. So not your fault, but that's kind of a boast on their part I think.

We do know that he ran a 4.58s forty, which extrapolates to 17.86 MPH on average. Of course he was running faster at the end than at the start, but I doubt he cracked 20 MPH. Fields just barely gets over 20 MPH and his forty is 4.44, quite a bit faster than Roschon's.

From your same article, Roschon's forty time is only 43rd percentile, so 57% of combine RBs run a faster forty than him. Hes not a speed merchant.

But his 10 yard split is 87th percentile, so he runs his 10 faster than 87% of combine RBs. He gets up to speed fast, with an elite burst.

So I think he can hit the hole fast, but doesnt have breakaway home run hitting speed once he is through. But that's what jukes and stiff arms are for.

Payton never had breakaway speed either, he used power and smarts to beat people.

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

If Foreman wins the starting job I’d say it’s more likely Roschon takes Herbert’s place as the 2nd back.  They likely keep Homer on the field for 3rd and long situations for his while letting Roschon gain experience with a couple series per game.  

I think so too. Herbert is a good runner, but he doesnt have the pass protection skills that our other backs do. Thats why he couldnt displace Monty last year, despite a better yards per carry.

6 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think so too. Herbert is a good runner, but he doesnt have the pass protection skills that our other backs do. Thats why he couldnt displace Monty last year, despite a better yards per carry.

He didn't displace Monty because he got hurt.  If a guy averages 5.7 YPC, I see no reason to take snaps away.  He may not have the ass to pick up a blitz, but he can be an outlet or decoy to draw that extra defender.

I was thinking Herbert and Johnson would be the leading duo and Foreman is now more luxury than anything. I don't think the Bears were expecting to get Johnson when they signed Foreman and Homer. Homer is still a star special teamer, and 3rd Down back. So if anyone is the odd man out, it seems like it would be Foreman.

38 minutes ago, adam said:

I was thinking Herbert and Johnson would be the leading duo and Foreman is now more luxury than anything. I don't think the Bears were expecting to get Johnson when they signed Foreman and Homer. Homer is still a star special teamer, and 3rd Down back. So if anyone is the odd man out, it seems like it would be Foreman.

Foreman (when healthy) is a hell of a back though. They'll all play and work this out. It's a great place to be in at a position that none of us were really even focused on a few months ago. Now we have another position group poised to be a team strength.

My personal guess is the Herbert will eventually be the odd man out. I know that will be a controversial statement right now, especially after he looked so much more fluid than Monty last year. And he is a good runner, but his hands arent great, and he doesnt do a good job in pass protection.

Herbert can easily be cut in terms of the cap, but he also doesnt cost much to keep. I see him sticking around for this season, but I dont see them signing him to a long term deal next year. So Poles is playing a few moves ahead.

Foreman is on a one year deal, and hes 27. I doubt he is in our long term plans either, although if he balls out, who knows.

All of this makes the Roschon Johnson pick make even that much more sense for the future. And Homer an option as RB2 in the future. He is already a change of pace guy.

And interestingly... Homer's forty time is a nice 4.48s, but his 10 yard split? 1.52s - just like Roschon.

I'm getting the feeling Poles likes that burst in running backs.

D'onta Foreman (27 yo) 4.46s forty, 1.63s 10 yd split
Khalil Herbert (25 yo) 4.5s forty, 1.62s 10 yd split

Roschon Johnson (22 yo) 4.58s forty, 1.52s 10 yd split
Travis Homer (24 yo) 4.48s forty, 1.52s 10 yd split

3 hours ago, adam said:

I'm even seeing Roschon having big Fantasy value grading as RB2.  Foreman and Herbert are not receiving RBs, each had 14 receptions last year.  They will go RB by committee, but Johnson ends up with the larger share out of it.  

The writing is on the wall, Foreman on a one year is a great backup option, Herbert a change of pace, Roschon soon becomes a hot jersey seller wearing Mike Browns #30.

41 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I'm even seeing Roschon having big Fantasy value grading as RB2.  Foreman and Herbert are not receiving RBs, each had 14 receptions last year.  They will go RB by committee, but Johnson ends up with the larger share out of it.  

The writing is on the wall, Foreman on a one year is a great backup option, Herbert a change of pace, Roschon soon becomes a hot jersey seller wearing Mike Browns #30.

I think you're right about this. We start with Foreman, Herbert is the RB2, and Johnson works his way into the rotation more and more during the year.

The only thing I wonder about is thinking of Herbert as the change of pace guy, when he is slower than Foreman. But I agree he will spell Foreman until Johnson makes his way up the depth chart.

28 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think you're right about this. We start with Foreman, Herbert is the RB2, and Johnson works his way into the rotation more and more during the year.

The only thing I wonder about is thinking of Herbert as the change of pace guy, when he is slower than Foreman. But I agree he will spell Foreman until Johnson makes his way up the depth chart.

Herbert has vision and a gear to get to the next level.  I haven't studied Foreman to know, but when Herbert had his turns it was noticeable compared to Monty.  It will be a better committee and with Moore in the mix, the safety might need to cushion a little bit. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Herbert has vision and a gear to get to the next level.  I haven't studied Foreman to know, but when Herbert had his turns it was noticeable compared to Monty.  It will be a better committee and with Moore in the mix, the safety might need to cushion a little bit. 

Yeah I think this is exactly why we perceive Herbert the way we do. I saw the same thing. Last year I thought monty was the pounder, and Herbert found the holes better and was a change of pace back, and more of a home run hitter. It's that one thing compared to another perception thing.

But now, looking at D'Onta Foreman's tape, I see a guy as big as Monty and as punishing as Monty, but he is actually faster than Herbert, and he finds the holes well.

Now of course Herbert had some good runs, and he will want to have something to say about my analysis here, and take the starting job for himself. That's good too - he will be fired up and we will see his best. Whoever emerges from the competition is gonna be great for us.

And your point about the poor Safeties, I couldnt agree more. With Wright and Davis on the right side of the line, defenses are gonna have to cheat more than one guy to deal with that, and play action passes ought to be much more open.

Our offense is in pretty damned good shape. They ought to start to gel this year and look good.

The defense has a lot of parts, but im still worried about the Defensive Line. I know we got a lot of guys, so maybe some will surprise me. Im kind of waiting for 2024 before we have a real edge player too. That worries me a bit.

But the offense is stocked now, and its time for them to shine. And I do think defenses are gonna have trouble with us.

13 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

The defense has a lot of parts, but im still worried about the Defensive Line. I know we got a lot of guys, so maybe some will surprise me. Im kind of waiting for 2024 before we have a real edge player too. That worries me a bit.

But the offense is stocked now, and its time for them to shine. And I do think defenses are gonna have trouble with us.

I am not too worried about the defense just yet.  I think they can add a DE if they feel the need and most likely look to get Clark or Ngakoue.  

The offense will take time to gel and then should be exciting.  Fields might be handcuffed a little on his scrambles to help him develop his pocket presence. 

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I am not too worried about the defense just yet.  I think they can add a DE if they feel the need and most likely look to get Clark or Ngakoue.  

The offense will take time to gel and then should be exciting.  Fields might be handcuffed a little on his scrambles to help him develop his pocket presence. 

we dont have a superman at 3T yet or a truly feared pass rusher, but youre right we will sign a decent vet, and next year we will add more talent and be a true contender.

youre right the offense will take a minute to gel, but this is (most of?) the offensive core thats gonna win a Superbowl for us now, so itll be fun watching them get rhythm and becoming a deadly machine.

I cant remember a better offseason as a Bears fan in my lifetime. Theyre just baby Bears right now, but they will grow their teeth this year.

12 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I cant remember a better offseason as a Bears fan in my lifetime. Theyre just baby Bears right now, but they will grow their teeth this year.

Amen to that.  Have you had the pipe dream of Carolina going 0-17 yet?  I have...😇

I think Carolina is bottom 5 but doubt they take the first draft spot. Any where in the top 10 would be a good pick. If we have a winning record our pick will fall 15-20 slot in the draft. If we have a top 10 and top 20 pick, I think Poles can do a lot with that. The sweet spot of the draft this year was 30-45, I can see Poles trading back and still have 4 top 50 picks which would be great.