A Case for Bijan...

Mongo3451

I've got a little time on my hands this morning so here it goes.  Bijan Robinson is a bigger faster stronger version of Christian McCaffry.  Why not draft this talent?  Everyone is hesitant to pay a RB , but you really don't have to worry about it until year 8, after the fifth year option and two years of franchising.  He's the most complete offensive weapon in the draft.  Why not?

24 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I've got a little time on my hands this morning so here it goes.  Bijan Robinson is a bigger faster stronger version of Christian McCaffry.  Why not draft this talent?  Everyone is hesitant to pay a RB , but you really don't have to worry about it until year 8, after the fifth year option and two years of franchising.  He's the most complete offensive weapon in the draft.  Why not?

We all want to fill needs, Poles says BPA. It may be Robinson. Foreman contract is for one year. I'm thinking someone else will want him and give us a haul for him. You trade back and take Gibbs later. He can still fix OT and DT in second and third round.

30 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Our rushing game was better than either team that had McCaffrey last year.  To that we’ve already added a better RG and a better 3rd down RB. And we’ve downgraded at RT for the moment.   

Our rushing game was the top of the league with Fields running for his life (because of a crappy OL). If he has time to operate behind the line, having a RB like Bijan Robinson would make sure we have the weapons Fields needs to give us a top 10 offense in 2023 without risking his health by escaping pressure. That said, if Poles drafts Bijan at #9, I would understand his thinking, but would still prefer manning the trenches first.

10 hours ago, Pixote said:

Our rushing game was the top of the league with Fields running for his life (because of a crappy OL). If he has time to operate behind the line, having a RB like Bijan Robinson would make sure we have the weapons Fields needs to give us a top 10 offense in 2023 without risking his health by escaping pressure. That said, if Poles drafts Bijan at #9, I would understand his thinking, but would still prefer manning the trenches first.

I agree, it's not my ideal plan but he will be the best player on the board, no matter who we draft. 

On 4/14/2023 at 9:15 AM, Pixote said:

That's exactly my point.  If the oline is fixed and Fields isn't running for his life, nor having to do as many called runs, we can still have a very productive running game.   We can also then have a productive passing game.   RT affects 100% of the plays, RB at best 60%.  

I think it comes down to they are starting to highlight the passing game and still have a good running game. We have enough talent in place to lead the league again in rushing. We need to step up the passing offense and you don't do that by running 60% of the time. I think with Justin taking a step forward and added personal, we could approach 4000 passing and still be top 5 in rushing. 

Last year Poles drafted 2 DBs with his first 2 picks and that was unexpected. He then took somewhat of a gadget player with his 3rd pick. I'm clearly in a fog as to what he might do. This GM turned 5 picks last year into 11. I expect the unexpected.

For me this is easy. BPA is not 100%. It’s really need-based BPA. A team with mid-career Tom Brady shouldn’t draft a QB in the 1st. The Bears shouldn’t have drafted a RB in The first round of the 1986 draft, regardless of how good the guy was.

I always think of it like having a broken car. If you get a great deal on $25 top of the line tires, it’s stupid to buy them with your only $100 (i.e. 1st round draft pick) if you also need a battery.

In this case, the Bears need a driver-side seatbelt, brake pads, and a windshield. The tires may not be perfect, but there is plenty of tread.

Greg Gabriel talked about BPA mentality. There are 32_different big boards plus a few noted experts that are taken seriously. A teams BPA already have their need positions figured into their board. The Bears aren't going to list B Robinson/RB in their top 10 even if Kiper may have.  Its sometimes not apples and oranges.

13 hours ago, jason said:

For me this is easy. BPA is not 100%. It’s really need-based BPA. A team with mid-career Tom Brady shouldn’t draft a QB in the 1st. The Bears shouldn’t have drafted a RB in The first round of the 1986 draft, regardless of how good the guy was.

I always think of it like having a broken car. If you get a great deal on $25 top of the line tires, it’s stupid to buy them with your only $100 (i.e. 1st round draft pick) if you also need a battery.

In this case, the Bears need a driver-side seatbelt, brake pads, and a windshield. The tires may not be perfect, but there is plenty of tread.

Most experts are claiming there are only three elite prospects in this draft.  I would mildly disagree about the year on the tires.  Foreman has not shown he can stay healthy.  I'm not advocating for Bijan at 9, but if you told me we got an unnamed blue chip at 9 in this draft, I would be very happy.  I would love to see a trade back for an extra second rounder, then I would definitely pull the trigger on Bijan knowing I can fill my OL spots in the second.

Poles stated in one interview, there were 7 blue chip players other than QBs in this draft.

Anderson

Carter

Wilson

B Robinson

Skoronski

Gonzalez

Witherspoon

This is my guess but Nolan Smith may replace Witherspoon.

I think if Carter or Wilson are there, he takes him. I don't see Po!es taking Robinson because of our team will focus more on the passing game as Justin develops . He set us up to still have a good running game, of course Robinson is better but I don't believe he planned on taking a RB with his  first pick. Robinson would probably command the offense to run thru him.  

Poles will surprise us but I don't think it will be by taking a RB.

I would LOVE it if we drafted Bijan Robinson.  If healthy, he’d be the rookie of the year.  He would make Justin Fields better and he’d sell a ton of jerseys.  He could be the center of our offense for 6 years.  (5th year option plus one franchise tag). 

I know running backs are undervalued, but it’s still hard to find ELITE running backs.  Bijan is elite.  If we don’t draft him at 9, he’s going to Philly at 10. 

I can buy into Robinson over a WR. Foreman is on a one year deal. Hebert is not a three down back I won't be throwing beers at the TV if we did that.

Jahamyr Gibbs is projected to go later in the second round and people think he is a Kamara clone. If we picked him at 53, I would jump on that. 

Later in the draft has lots of talent. Isaih Pacheco was pick 251 and started for the SB winner. That's where Poles learned football. 

I don't think he picks Robinson early.

10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I can buy into Robinson over a WR. Foreman is on a one year deal. Hebert is not a three down back I won't be throwing beers at the TV if we did that.

Jahamyr Gibbs is projected to go later in the second round and people think he is a Kamara clone. If we picked him at 53, I would jump on that. 

Later in the draft has lots of talent. Isaih Pacheco was pick 251 and started for the SB winner. That's where Poles learned football. 

I don't think he picks Robinson early.

Why doesn’t anyone talk about Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB KC drafted in round one who got replaced by a 7th Rd pick?   Merciless Hardman never produced much either.   I don’t think he was a first round pick but still performed far below expectations.   Maybe if we’d have looked better at the history with Hardman we have understood why we ended up with Velus?   

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 12:38 PM, adam said:

Got Roschon in the 4th. Great value and a different runner compared to Bijan. 

I think Roschon can be as good if not better.  He may not have the elite burst speed as some others but has been clocked at 22.6 mph once he gets up to speed, he is one of the fastest. That is as fast. Justin Fields at 21.5 and Tyreek Hill at 23.5 for comparison.  I am going to put down a prediction that he is starting by game 4. 

46 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think Roschon can be as good if not better.  He may not have the elite burst speed as some others but has been clocked at 22.6 mph once he gets up to speed, he is one of the fastest. That is as fast. Justin Fields at 21.5 and Tyreek Hill at 23.5 for comparison.  I am going to put down a prediction that he is starting by game 4. 

I'll dispute that.  Foreman will be the workhorse of the RB unit, while Herbert sits second despite having higher production.  If Roschon is staring week four, we'll have been decimated with injuries.  

12 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'll dispute that.  Foreman will be the workhorse of the RB unit, while Herbert sits second despite having higher production.  If Roschon is staring week four, we'll have been decimated with injuries.  

We might have a bet lol, jk.  I do think he climbs the chart as fast as his speed.  

I think D'Onta will be the starter on opening day, but i want to rebut something said above about Roschon.

His burst is exceptional and what sets him apart - his top speed is what's lacking.

His 40 time is a pedestrian 4.58s so hes not getting to 22+ MPH, but his 10 yard split is an astounding 1.52s! So his burst IS elite.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/roschon-johnson/32004a4f-4865-2931-d4f5-6e3ddf27f82a

to put that into context,

Fields who tops 20 MPH, has a 40 time of 4.45s
Herbert has a flat 4.5s 40 time
DJ Moore runs a 4.42s 40
Darnell Mooney runs a 4.38s 40

BUT

Field's 10 yard split is 1.59s
Herbert's 10 yard split is 1.62s
DJ Moore's 10 yard split is 1.54s
Darnell Mooney's 10 yard split is 1.5s

and Roschon Johnson's is is 1.52s? That's a hell of a burst, especially for a mid speed RB. Wow.

33 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think D'Onta will be the starter on opening day, but i want to rebut something said above about Roschon.

His burst is exceptional and what sets him apart - his top speed is what's lacking.

His 40 time is a pedestrian 4.58s so hes not getting to 22+ MPH, but his 10 yard split is an astounding 1.52s! So his burst IS elite.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/roschon-johnson/32004a4f-4865-2931-d4f5-6e3ddf27f82a

to put that into context,

Fields who tops 20 MPH, has a 40 time of 4.45s
Herbert has a flat 4.5s 40 time
DJ Moore runs a 4.42s 40
Darnell Mooney runs a 4.38s 40

BUT

Field's 10 yard split is 1.59s
Herbert's 10 yard split is 1.62s
DJ Moore's 10 yard split is 1.54s
Darnell Mooney's 10 yard split is 1.5s

and Roschon Johnson's is is 1.52s? That's a hell of a burst, especially for a mid speed RB. Wow.

Google his clocked speed in mph with next generation.

When I said his burst, it was in regards to his 40 time.  

I copied one article. 

He has a fast 10, then can turn it on. Who knows if he has faster 40 times besides the combinel.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Roschon-Johnson-RB-Texas

4 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

We might have a bet lol, jk.  I do think he climbs the chart as fast as his speed.  

If Foreman wins the starting job I’d say it’s more likely Roschon takes Herbert’s place as the 2nd back.  They likely keep Homer on the field for 3rd and long situations for his while letting Roschon gain experience with a couple series per game.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

If Foreman wins the starting job I’d say it’s more likely Roschon takes Herbert’s place as the 2nd back.  They likely keep Homer on the field for 3rd and long situations for his while letting Roschon gain experience with a couple series per game.  

I agree, I think Homer is the first to go and then Johnson  displaces Herbert as the number 2 back.