Yannick Ngakoue

jason

27 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I'm surprised at how small he is.  This is not Poles type of edge player at 6'2",  32 1/2" arms,  and just 246lbs.     Obviously he has sack production but that really explains some of the run defense issues and his inconsistencies in the pass rush where he only has an 11% win rate. Also likely explains the Bears desire to stay away from a multiyear deal.  Players who have to rely on quickness in the trenches struggle as they get older.  All other DEs on our team are at least 6'4"  260lbs with the exception of DomRob who is 6'5"  253lbs with 33 1/4" arms.  

Eberflus can say he's an every down player and to a some extent that might be true over the course of a game but everyone knows that isn't what he was brought here to do.  They may also want to say that to justify the money and his fit in the locker room.  I'll be curious to see how he's used.  At least this one gap scheme fits his quickness skillset well.  On a run down he needs to get upfield to set the edge... but then has to hold the containment.   Can he hold it and squeeze the play inside well enough?  

right. hes not in our long term plans, but he can give enough that the secondary can grow this year.

Some insight on what we'll see on Sundays.  This kind of matches what I suspected were the concerns with him.   I don't regret the signing at all and I know he'll help us quite a bit because we simply didn't have this skillset at all.  Of course he has to be playing the run on some early downs but I think we'd be best off to keep his rep count down.  I think I read somewhere that in recent years he's taken up to 80% of the snaps.  I'd rather see him in the 50-60% range.  Keep him fresh so even on run plays he has more energy to fend off the big boys or chase plays down from the backside.   Then of course take full advantage of his skills on passing downs.  I'd especially like to see him get less snaps early in a game and be available more in the 4th quarter when you need a big play to close out the game.     

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Its amazing to think Poles gets a blue chip edger rusher this late in the offseason. Either Poles is lucky or he clearly knows what he is doing. 

You make your own luck. Poles put himself in this position with the cap flexibility and could at the same time outbid someone if needed, but still hold to his guns and get a decent value.

Not only was Ngakoue one of the top free agents remaining, he was one of the top FAs for this offseason. If you remove the guys who resigned with their own teams, he ended up being a top 20 FA. 

It is funny because the media doesn't know how to handle it. Before the offseason, all they talked about was how bad Edge was, and now we go into the season with two new starters (Ngakoue 9.5 sacks and Walker 7 sacks), a new rotational guy (Green 3.5 sacks) and maybe even a new diamond in the rough in Terrell Lewis. So guys like Gipson and Robinson are pushed back down into the rotation where they are more effective too.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Definitely a   upgrade over last yr. I think in next yrs draft he adds 2 pass rushes with the first 3 picks and keeps building thru the draft.

I can see the top 3 picks going in the trenches.  I like the Washington kid, DE Bralen Trice with his length and aggression. Texas AM Center Bryce Foster fits Poles lineman traits and Florida DE Princely Umanmielen who also has length and athleticism.