Orton to Start this week

balta1701-A

Well, if the old threads are gone, figure I might as well revive one or two of them on various subjects.

Tribune.

Impatiently, Kyle Orton has waited for another opportunity.

The third-year Bears quarterback couldn’t mask his frustration about not playing in a game that mattered since the end of the 2005 season. But Orton’s aggravation turned to elation Monday when coach Lovie Smith told him he would start against the Vikings on Monday night in Minneapolis.

No one has promised Orton anything beyond the next game, but he is fully aware of how a strong performance could bode well for his future.

“I’m going to let my play speak for itself,” Orton said, “and I figure if I play well and win football games, it will be my job.”

Orton was speaking about starting the final three games, of course. Yet the Bears turning to their third starting QB this season would indicate shifting the focus toward next season. Orton could play himself into at least contention for the starting role in 2008, although it is unclear whether the Bears intend to re-sign Rex Grossman or shop the free-agent market.

If Orton proves himself worthy, he could be a bargain. His base salary would be $460,000 next season.

“Most of the guys on our football team have had the opportunity to prove what they can do, except for Kyle,” said Smith, who refused to admit that the evaluation period has started. “I’m excited about what he can possibly do for us this coming week.

“He’s a smart football player. He has a strong arm. … Our guys have played with him, so they know what type of player he is.”

I can't wait to see what he can do...

Make the most of your opportunity Orton!

My thoughts exactly Madlith. Orton has his shot, and I hope I do not have to eat 2 years of crow for pimping him on the board all this time! :unsure: Throw well and throw often Mr. Orton! My stomach is depending on it! :pray

it will be interesting to see what he does. I hope he give us a little hope, maybe he can play well. I sure he can survive out terrible OLine. I think now is a good time to see what the younger guys can do.

Now Im Rex supported so Im not just taking a cheap shot at him, but I think Ortons height is really gonna help him behind our line. Grossman is so short that he would have to drop back too far to see over the line and with our garbage tackles he would fell pressure right away. If KO can stand up in the pocket predominately behind Kruetz he should have a couple more seconds to get the ball off.

Now Im Rex supported so Im not just taking a cheap shot at him, but I think Ortons height is really gonna help him behind our line. Grossman is so short that he would have to drop back too far to see over the line and with our garbage tackles he would fell pressure right away. If KO can stand up in the pocket predominately behind Kruetz he should have a couple more seconds to get the ball off.

That is one of the most frustrating things with Rex, and one of the reasons I do not like him...he runs backwards instead of stepping up. 4 yard sacks become 10 yeard sacks with him. Maybe it is his height, maybe he is just playing scared (did you see him flinch on that first play against the Skins?? :bang ) Orton is tough as nails and should be able to step up instead of retreat all the time.

I think this is long overdue.He seems to know this offense as well as the other two guys and like Lovie said he deserves a chance to prove what he can do on the field.He is the only guy on the roster who hasn't had a shot. I want to see him with a chance to cut it loose and not "manage the game".This team has nothing to lose.

Who cares if Orton is bigger than Rex?

He's still playing behind the same OLine like he did.

I agree. Lets see how tough Orton is when the porous oline lets him get killed a couple of times.

That being said, I like Orton and hope he shows his worth. And I hope the Bears give a bunch of kids a shot (Olsen, Wolfe, Hass, etc.)

I also would like to see what they have in J. Kennedy.

I agree. Lets see how tough Orton is when the porous oline lets him get killed a couple of times.

That being said, I like Orton and hope he shows his worth. And I hope the Bears give a bunch of kids a shot (Olsen, Wolfe, Hass, etc.)

I remember Orton standing up to the test pretty good during his rookie season. He took a beatdown and kept getting up. Than again he also kept posting 79 yard passing games, LOL. Still I'm excited to see what a more prepared and actually NFL ready Kyle Orton can do at the helm.

As far as Rex goes, I think he reall improved his pocket presence in the 2nd game and while he still sometimes goes back too damn far I thought there were a good number of times where if Rex did what the announcers stated (ie step up) he would have gotten absolutely blasted. The oline was failing from every freaking direction and he had no chance on quite a few plays. I can say the same for about 30% of Bensons carries (you know, the ones where he was getting hit right about the same time he got the football).

I seriously don't think I've seen a line go from being amongst the top 5 in the league to being one of the worse 3 in the league in a one year span (without any serious injuries).

Yeah, i'd like see more of Olsen, Hass and Wolfe.

That's if Ron Turner can get them invloved. :banghead

I remember Orton standing up to the test pretty good during his rookie season. He took a beatdown and kept getting up. Than again he also kept posting 79 yard passing games, LOL. Still I'm excited to see what a more prepared and actually NFL ready Kyle Orton can do at the helm.

As far as Rex goes, I think he reall improved his pocket presence in the 2nd game and while he still sometimes goes back too damn far I thought there were a good number of times where if Rex did what the announcers stated (ie step up) he would have gotten absolutely blasted. The oline was failing from every freaking direction and he had no chance on quite a few plays. I can say the same for about 30% of Bensons carries (you know, the ones where he was getting hit right about the same time he got the football).

I seriously don't think I've seen a line go from being amongst the top 5 in the league to being one of the worse 3 in the league in a one year span (without any serious injuries).

I agree with you on the oline. Easily one of the worst units in the league.

Its true that Orton was tough his first time around. The 79 yards passing were a results of an ultraconservative approach and remember that was the year our recievers dropped everything and threw Orton under the bus. I think if they would have given him some space his numbers would have been better.

I think this is long overdue.He seems to know this offense as well as the other two guys and like Lovie said he deserves a chance to prove what he can do on the field.He is the only guy on the roster who hasn't had a shot. I want to see him with a chance to cut it loose and not "manage the game".This team has nothing to lose.

I couldn't agree more.

But I would also like to see Beekman get a chance to play as well. Its not like the Oline can do any worse right???

I would at least give Orton one game with the same O-line before making changes. After that though, bring in all the bench players and give them a shot. Who knows, someone may surprise.

I agree now that the playoffs are out of question Wolfe at RB, and Orton at QB is a great move by lovie to get young players more experience, and a shot to prove themselves for the 2008 season :dabears

I don't know if I want to see Wolfe carrying the ball 30 times (I don't think he should ever be utilized in that manner). But I'd like to see them get him 10-15 touches a game with Peterson getting the remainder of those touches. I really want to see if Wolfe is the type of guy you can use in split back sets, ocassionally split out as a wide, etc. We probably won't see much of it, but that is what I expect the Bears new offensive coordinator (who will hopefully be a bit more innovative) will be able to do.