Cairo Santos Appreciation Thread

adam

2 hours ago, adam said:

6 for 6 over 50 yards (3rd-T), 92.0% FG% (10th), 95.5% XP%, 9th in Touchbacks, has only missed 3 kicks all season out of 47. The Bears need to extend him.

absolutely. there are a lot of good players on this roster that we cant really see because of the playcalling etc. I think with a new start this team will be better than some people expect them to be - and that will happen faster than expected too.

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

He's making 4.5 mil this year with bonus. (OTC) The top 5 kickers are over 5 mil a year. He's 15th in the league in pay now. AYS. Give him a 3 yr fully guarantee at 5 mil a yr? 

Absolutely no fully guaranteed money to an average kicker.  I don’t like fully guaranteed money to any athlete.  

26 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Why couldn’t the Venn Diagram intersect of Cairo Santos being a kicker for the Bears and the 2018 Bears team have existed?  Oh what could have been.  

I hear ya Grizz, the doinks broke my heart too for sure.

It's just... I dont want a team that needs a last minute field goal to win. I want a team that you KNOW is gonna win before the game even starts. A team that regularly has 12+ wins. A team that can stand toe to toe with anyone. 2018 wasnt that. We havent seen anything like that for almost 40 years.

I hope we get a coach and draft players with that mentality - that incremental progress isnt the goal. Finding dominance is. A GM who doesnt take the guy with the highest floor to limit risk, but keeps swinging away until he finds guys with superstar potential.

In the short term, they oughtta let Fields throw the ball, and show everyone who he is for better or worse. And that goes for everyone on the team, staff included. Be working toward excellence or find another job. This safe crap isn't ever going to win any championships. It just brings you from the basement to 15th or something, and everyone keeps their jobs.

What are we, a small market team that just wants to sell tickets?

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

We havent seen anything like that for almost 40 years.

I don’t know, the 2006 team was pretty dominant. And 2010 was a close miss too.  One game away from making the Super Bowl again. 

As far as 2018 goes, all you need to do is win and rinse and repeat.  Especially in the playoffs anything can happen. 

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I don’t know, the 2006 team was pretty dominant. And 2010 was a close miss too.  One game away from making the Super Bowl again. 

As far as 2018 goes, all you need to do is win and rinse and repeat.  Especially in the playoffs anything can happen. 

I get you, but theres a difference between winning games, and being huge favorites in most or every game you play. I realize we will never see 1985 again, but I dont just want to win, I want a team built to dominate. And my only point is that making incremental progress, and aiming at safe outcomes wont ever result in that killer team I think we all want to see.

7 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

That double doink changed the career trajectories of so many people and the franchise as a whole. Pace, Nagy, Trubisky, etc.