Draft. Dump Fields Addition...

Mongo3451

Just now, Mongo3451 said:

It's just stupid...🤪

I want it to be stupid though. And honestly, if we trade down that #1 it might actually be stupid.

Personally, and again, I havent done any work on these rookie QBs yet, so I may totally disagree with myself in a couple months, but today, if we are not sold on Caleb Williams, and want a guy like Daniels or Maye or Penix or McCarthy, and we can actually wait to get them in the middle of the first round, it might actually get this stupid.

I suspect we will get a player with a trade down too, so maybe not quite so many picks. But damn, the future sure does look bright.

I REALLY hope Carolina doesnt win again.

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

I want it to be stupid though. And honestly, if we trade down that #1 it might actually be stupid.

Personally, and again, I havent done any work on these rookie QBs yet, so I may totally disagree with myself in a couple months, but today, if we are not sold on Caleb Williams, and want a guy like Daniels or Maye or Penix or McCarthy, and we can actually wait to get them in the middle of the first round, it might actually get this stupid.

I suspect we will get a player with a trade down too, so maybe not quite so many picks. But damn, the future sure does look bright.

I REALLY hope Carolina doesnt win again.

If we take a qb - I’m not pretending I can outthink everyone, I am restarting the coaching clock and I am taking Caleb Williams. Don’t get cute. Sure he could bust but he has elite arm talent, good athleticism and has played 2.5 years of high end football and put up unworldly numbers. He can make all the throws and ad libs and didn’t have the type of talent these sec juggernauts have had. 

Now Panthers better not ruin it. I could tell you I like JJ McCarthy too - but damn it I’m just taking Caleb at one, draft an olineman at the other pick (or Brockers) and drop a bucket on Tee Higgins. I’m setting up my next qb to be a legit badass. 

Find a center later and than draft defense and a later round wideout. 

Just now, DABEARSDABOMB said:

If we take a qb - I’m not pretending I can outthink everyone, I am restarting the coaching clock and I am taking Caleb Williams. Don’t get cute. Sure he could bust but he has elite arm talent, good athleticism and has played 2.5 years of high end football and put up unworldly numbers. He can make all the throws and ad libs and didn’t have the type of talent these sec juggernauts have had. 

Now Panthers better not ruin it. I could tell you I like JJ McCarthy too - but damn it I’m just taking Caleb at one, draft an olineman at the other pick (or Brockers) and drop a bucket on Tee Higgins. I’m setting up my next qb to be a legit badass. 

Find a center later and than draft defense and a later round wideout. 

Oh yeah, if you draft a QB this year and keep Eberflus on his last year with a lame duck OC that is just so Bears. Weve done that over and over.

We keep trying to salvage a little of what we have and hamstring the next coach.

We did it with Nagy and Trubisky, We did it with Fields and Eberflus. Remember when we tried to keep Lovies defense after he left? they didnt let the DC be a man and do his thing, they told him to be like a scout team Lovie. And we didnt clean house, we stayed loyal to Urlacher and Briggs a year too long. Locker room fell apart.

New England traded a LOT of good players in their prime. They always found a way to replace them and stay on top. If you pay everyone, you end up dead in the water. Like college basketball, you have a star, but youre looking at your Freshman to take over cuz that guy is leaving.

yes, you pick a couple core players, like Brady etc. But look at Akeim Hicks. We got him with a LOT of good football left. New England knew what they were doing. They knew he was great, but they knew they couldnt pay everyone and stay ahead of the clock.

If we are going to be a great team, we have to be willing to let go of good players and coaches. And Eberflus is not special. He might be competent. but he doesn't give you an edge in winning.

In any other business, youd promote Eberflus. Not to CEO, but he is solid, professional, doesnt make trouble. But in this game only 1 team wins and 31 lose, and a guy like Eberflus isnt rocket fuel.

My point is they dont have to be awful to get rid of them. Fields isnt awful. Hes pretty damned good at a lot of things. But he aint it. hes not the center to build championships on. The best that is said about him is that if you surrounded him with perfection, he could operate. And then wed have to pay him like a core player? that shouldnt be the plan, and squeezing a couple years of this out of him more isnt it either.

They arent the worst, but we need to take a swing at finding the best. QB and coaching.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This I could co-sign on.  Although I’m thinking players like Penix or McCarthy could be had in the 2nd round .

wait for the QB hype machine to roll around in February lol

If Poles can identify that and they actually fall there, then he is a hell of a Poker player. Id be scared theyd go too fast. When we see draft predictions in February etc, then we might have a better idea of what the common wisdom is anyway. Any one team might jump in early on someone too, but if we can hold our QB powder until then and still get one of those guys, that would be great - assuming we think that guys gonna be good, all the scouting and combine yet to be done etc

8 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

We couldn't be so lucky.  This draft is ridiculous.  I can't wait for a draft site to be credible...Screenshot_20231218_223829_Chrome.jpg

Draft machines aren't very realistic but are fun. Daniels is going to be a top 10 pick. At least three are going high, it could be more, just not sure of what GMs actually think. If Poles trades back, I can see 6 or 7 top 100 players but 10 would be outstanding.