Chicago Bears 10 Positions of Need in 2024, non QB edition

Pixote

I found an article on WindyCityGridiron.com:

It lists 10 positions of need, not including QB in the argument. These all have been discussed on the forum by our posters, but it is a nice breakdown with reasons behind the selections. Good arguments were made for each position listed. If Poles could fill all of these with quality starters, we will be a playoff team. (Assuming we have the Coaching Staff to maximize the roster's ability.)

10. Back-up Safety

9. Interior Offensive Line Depth

8. Back-up Tight End

7. Wide Receiver 3

6. Punt Returner

5. Safety

4. Edge

3. Center

2. Wide Receiver 2

1. 3-Tech Defensive Tackle

I wonder where Dexter will end up in terms of being an impact player. He may have developed and learned the most of any rookie this year. Remember how slow he was off the ball? it was a real concern. And then by about week 7 he was as fast as anyone on the line. Hes a physical beast too, and the pressure anjd sacks are starting to come now too.

But all that said, we do at the very least need a rotational 3T to take Jones place in the next year or so? And if that player turns out to be dominant, and pushes Dexter back to 2nd string, that will only be a bonus.

All this to say that 3T is a need, but i dunno if I have it as the #1 need?

23 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

But all that said, we do at the very least need a rotational 3T to take Jones place in the next year or so? And if that player turns out to be dominant, and pushes Dexter back to 2nd string, that will only be a bonus.

FWIW, Jalen Carter started the season hot and has faded off the radar the last six weeks. He has five sacks and 8 QB hits.  Gervon Dexter started the season slow and has been trending up.  He has one sack and 9 QB hits.  It will be interesting to see how the next three games go...

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

FWIW, Jalen Carter started the season hot and has faded off the radar the last six weeks. He has five sacks and 8 QB hits.  Gervon Dexter started the season slow and has been trending up.  He has one sack and 9 QB hits.  It will be interesting to see how the next three games go...

the brightest spot this year has been watching the rookies and second year players on defense develop. that definitely has our arrow pointing up. no matter how bad our offense is next year, we will win more than 5 games for sure, and I doubt we will be in the hunt for a top draft pick again for a while.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

I found an article on WindyCityGridiron.com:

It lists 10 positions of need, not including QB in the argument. These all have been discussed on the forum by our posters, but it is a nice breakdown with reasons behind the selections. Good arguments were made for each position listed. If Poles could fill all of these with quality starters, we will be a playoff team. (Assuming we have the Coaching Staff to maximize the roster's ability.)

10. Back-up Safety

9. Interior Offensive Line Depth

8. Back-up Tight End

7. Wide Receiver 3

6. Punt Returner

5. Safety

4. Edge

3. Center

2. Wide Receiver 2

1. 3-Tech Defensive Tackle

I try to see this from utilization vs production. A Center touches the ball on every offensive play, that to me is more valuable than WR2 who may only be the 3rd most targeted player. Then comparing to 3T and Edge. Who is replacing who? At Center, even a league average player replacing Patrick would be a huge upgrade. I also can't believe Punter is not listed but we get to PR, WR3, and TE2. 

My list would be:
1. Center
2. Edge (Edge and 3T are basically interchangeable needs for me)
3. 3T
4. FS (Free Safety and WR2 are super close)
5. WR2
6. Punter (Gill is one of the worst punters, we can't afford to gift 5-10 yards per punt)
7. TE2
8. RB2/3 (The RB room really nosedived this season)
9. WR3
10. OL Depth

That is not necessarily the order I would draft in, but if I could only have 1, I am getting a new Center over anything else. 

If you only could fill one position , center is the most obvious. Your list is spot on. If we have 2 top 10 picks, those will go to impact players. MHJ, Bowers, Dallas Turner, J Newton. If, I dont believe he will, draft a LT, ALT, or the other guy. He can fill other spots in middle rounds and still add quality. I think the center and Saftey spot can be upgraded in FA. Several young centers available in FA and you can always find a S there. I think he may bring back EJAC on a reduced salary, if he cant find one. He will concentrate on both sides od the line for depth more than starters. I think he may bring back Justin Jones, he has been playing well of late and wont demand a big salary. I also thinks he may brings back Mooney if Fields ends up being here. 

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If you only could fill one position , center is the most obvious. Your list is spot on. If we have 2 top 10 picks, those will go to impact players. MHJ, Bowers, Dallas Turner, J Newton. If, I dont believe he will, draft a LT, ALT, or the other guy. He can fill other spots in middle rounds and still add quality. I think the center and Saftey spot can be upgraded in FA. Several young centers available in FA and you can always find a S there. I think he may bring back EJAC on a reduced salary, if he cant find one. He will concentrate on both sides od the line for depth more than starters. I think he may bring back Justin Jones, he has been playing well of late and wont demand a big salary. I also thinks he may brings back Mooney if Fields ends up being here. 

It feels like Scott and Mooney are very redundant, and if you plan to keep Scott, I don't think they bring back Mooney. What sucks is Scott has also underperformed, and I wouldn't mind moving on from him next season as well. 

13 minutes ago, adam said:

It feels like Scott and Mooney are very redundant, and if you plan to keep Scott, I don't think they bring back Mooney. What sucks is Scott has also underperformed, and I wouldn't mind moving on from him next season as well. 

Hw will draft a WR so that makes Scott a 3rd WR that is still a rookie. Mooney would be WR #4, so if he thinks he can upgrade he will. Mooney produced for one and a half yrs before he was injuried.  Depends if he thinks he can improve. Remember V Jones is still on the team, he hasnt done anything and has kept him around.

1 hour ago, adam said:

I try to see this from utilization vs production. A Center touches the ball on every offensive play, that to me is more valuable than WR2 who may only be the 3rd most targeted player. Then comparing to 3T and Edge. Who is replacing who? At Center, even a league average player replacing Patrick would be a huge upgrade. I also can't believe Punter is not listed but we get to PR, WR3, and TE2. 

My list would be:
1. Center
2. Edge (Edge and 3T are basically interchangeable needs for me)
3. 3T
4. FS (Free Safety and WR2 are super close)
5. WR2
6. Punter (Gill is one of the worst punters, we can't afford to gift 5-10 yards per punt)
7. TE2
8. RB2/3 (The RB room really nosedived this season)
9. WR3
10. OL Depth

That is not necessarily the order I would draft in, but if I could only have 1, I am getting a new Center over anything else. 

I hate "I told you so" responses, but, LOL,

I argued last off season that we needed to replace our punter. No one agreed with me, saying we were solid with Gill.

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

I hate "I told you so" responses, but, LOL,

I argued last off season that we needed to replace our punter. No one agreed with me, saying we were solid with Gill.

If you did, great call, I didn't really think he was that bad, but he has been really bad. So bad, I am surprised they never considered bringing in someone off the street.

Gill is last in NFL in net punting at 37.2, to put that into perspective, Nick Folk, K for TEN, 39 yrs old, had to punt twice in a game due to an injury and his net is 39.0. Gill only puts 25.5% of his kicks inside the 20, 3rd worst, that is half as many as the league leader, which is insane. His net last year was 39.0 and he was putting 30.3% of his kicks inside the 20. 

On 12/22/2023 at 1:36 PM, adam said:

If he were allowed to be in the usual day 3 rookie WR role his issues might not be so glaring.  That is sitting on the bench.