Offense Only Draft...

Mongo3451

I like Corley a lot. i think he is a Deebo clone.Big YAC guy. 

I wonder if the crowd chant mpressed Poles at all? I thought it was pretty cool. 

Do you know anything about Michael Pratt? He was rated high in the preseason ranking and faded as the season went on. His numbers are good, but didnt seem to be on a pass first team or he got hurt alog the way.

24 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Do you know anything about Michael Pratt? He was rated high in the preseason ranking and faded as the season went on. His numbers are good, but didnt seem to be on a pass first team or he got hurt alog the way.

I did not, so I watched a compilation.  He throws a lot of passes short, but his arm strength is there.  Lemme sober up and take a good look.

Hell yeah. I love it except Rattler. That dude is a Grade A dirt-bag. 

Using those same picks, I'd go with this:

• 3. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State - Perfect fit.
  • 10. Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State - Stud OT for years to come.
  • 44. Pe(Nix), QB, Washington/Oregon - Whichever is there. I'd rather it be Nix since I officiated some of his games in HS. 
  • 68. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia - Solid all around, quick feet.
  • 76. Blake Corum, RB, Michigan - I don't care if he's short. He ripped Alabama apart, and that jump cut was incredible.
  • 79. Xavier Truss, G, Georgia - Back to back UGA OL. 
  • 81. Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE, Minnesota - Some might think this is too high, but I love this guy. I swear I was watching blurry eyed and thought he ran similarly to Gronk. 
  • 107. Zak Zinter, G, Michigan - I'd like the Bears to take a flyer on a guy who broke his leg at the end of the year. Day 2 floor, Day 1 upside if he comes back from injury. 
  • **BONUS** - I wouldn't mind a small trade to pick up a "meaningless" 7th rounder or two. 
    • 7th Round - Isaiah Davis, RB, South Dakota State - If you watched the FCS Championship, you understand.

On 1/2/2024 at 8:55 PM, jason said:

Hell yeah. I love it except Rattler. That dude is a Grade A dirt-bag. 

Using those same picks, I'd go with this:

• 3. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State - Perfect fit.
  • 10. Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State - Stud OT for years to come.
  • 44. Pe(Nix), QB, Washington/Oregon - Whichever is there. I'd rather it be Nix since I officiated some of his games in HS. 
  • 68. Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia - Solid all around, quick feet.
  • 76. Blake Corum, RB, Michigan - I don't care if he's short. He ripped Alabama apart, and that jump cut was incredible.
  • 79. Xavier Truss, G, Georgia - Back to back UGA OL. 
  • 81. Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE, Minnesota - Some might think this is too high, but I love this guy. I swear I was watching blurry eyed and thought he ran similarly to Gronk. 
  • 107. Zak Zinter, G, Michigan - I'd like the Bears to take a flyer on a guy who broke his leg at the end of the year. Day 2 floor, Day 1 upside if he comes back from injury. 
  • **BONUS** - I wouldn't mind a small trade to pick up a "meaningless" 7th rounder or two. 
    • 7th Round - Isaiah Davis, RB, South Dakota State - If you watched the FCS Championship, you understand.

I was on the Blake Corum bandwagon last year as a late round pick but he was hurt and didn't enter the draft. He will now be drafted much higher.  The kid runs like a knife cutting through defenses. 

On 1/2/2024 at 5:55 PM, jason said:

44. Pe(Nix), QB, Washington/Oregon - Whichever is there. I'd rather it be Nix since I officiated some of his games in HS.

This is an intriguing perspective. Penix didn’t look all that hot tonight especially under pressure.  One thing that concerns me about both Penix and Nix is how they’re both 6th and 5th year seniors . 

Alaskan,  why does it concern you that a QB stays and plays 5-6 years seniors?  Everyone knows that college is the true minor leagues for the NFL long before the NIL was a thing!  

We all knew the Bears gambled on Trubisky and his limited body of work as a starter in College.  

Penix and Nix have both experienced starting QBs for two different colleges and they both improved through using all their eligibility to hone their kraft.

Why does everyone assume we need to move on from Fields?  Sure he has been inconsistent but who wouldn’t be with the OL group?  Best to hedge your bet and keep JF1 and finishing building out the offense.  Tired of being beat by Green Bay!

I’m good with slight trade back with the first pick and load up on OL and add a QB like Nix to develop.  

5 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Alaskan,  why does it concern you that a QB stays and plays 5-6 years seniors?  Everyone knows that college is the true minor leagues for the NFL long before the NIL was a thing!  

It’s a fair question and honestly I don’t have a sound answer for it.  It’s more a gut feeling or ‘eye test’ measure.  In looking at both these guys’ history it tells me they were both transfers to their final schools. 

Penix played for Indiana (of the Big 10) his first four years and compiled a record of 12-5.  His Freshman year it looks as though he didn’t play at all and then minimally for the next three (besides the COVID year, curious why that is).  Then he transfers to Washington (PAC-12) and starts setting all the records we hear of.  Then in last night’s game he really withered on the vine under relentless pressure.  

Nix’s story is somewhat similar except that he started playing for Auburn (SEC) and beat Alabama in the “Iron Bowl” in his Freshman year.  He also led Auburn to a 9-4 record that year.  The next two years (including 2020) were more “up and down” and he transferred after the 2021 season. He cited at the time it was mostly due to the new head coach they had hired for the 2021 season.  When Nix transferred to Oregon (PAC-12) he also started ‘going off’ a bit more and set a few records of his own.

I guess if I had to nail down my primary concern it would have to be that why wait so long to come out to the NFL?  They’re both either the same age or close to it as Fields and he’s been in the league for three now.  But I can answer my own question (sort of) by adding they had COVID 2020 to contend with (so did Justin) and after both transferred to (some would say the lesser PAC 12 Division) they put up some eye-popping stats that really (should) help their draft capital.

(pictures below are of Penix and Nix respectively).  

IMG_6390.jpeg

IMG_6392.jpeg

I understand where you’re coming from and not trying to be critical but we got burned before with guys like Trubisky going too high with limited starting experience in college. To me that is more of a red flag.  

Nix and Penix at least have more game reps and experience so they should at least have a higher floor as pros?  Now I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t have time to watch college football and always have to play catchup with researching before the draft each year.

I think I like Nix more as he may be more mobile than Penix but would not ask nor expect either to start day 1 by the team that drafts them.  

If either were drafted by the Bears in rounds 2-3 to be developed behind Fields I’d have no problem.  Remember Kurt Warner came out of the arena league and won superbowls.  How did Green Gay get so good at picking QBs; well they pick them regularly then develop them behind a veteran. Some pan out, some don’t and some are used to be a future trade asset.

17 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

I understand where you’re coming from and not trying to be critical but we got burned before with guys like Trubisky going too high with limited starting experience in college. To me that is more of a red flag.  

Nix and Penix at least have more game reps and experience so they should at least have a higher floor as pros?  Now I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t have time to watch college football and always have to play catchup with researching before the draft each year.

I think I like Nix more as he may be more mobile than Penix but would not ask nor expect either to start day 1 by the team that drafts them.  

If either were drafted by the Bears in rounds 2-3 to be developed behind Fields I’d have no problem.  Remember Kurt Warner came out of the arena league and won superbowls.  How did Green Gay get so good at picking QBs; well they pick them regularly then develop them behind a veteran. Some pan out, some don’t and some are used to be a future trade asset.

To nearly everything you said I agree with. Especially with the note about Trubisky and his lack of experience.  That's one of the key reasons I'm down on Maye (let alone he's from NC and wears the #10).  

And like I said my reasoning for someone who is 'over-seasoned' is purely a more "me" issue than it is based on any tried rhyme or reason.  Especially if you figure in both of these guys had to play through the COVID years.  

The idea about drafting a future QB and letting them stew for a bit sits really square with me too.  Especially since it allows Fields more time to prove himself (with what will now be a new OC).  As you said it has worked for GB and KC (with Mahomes) with some level of success.  Poles is more familiar with how that worked while in KC I'm sure.  And again I agree on Nix being a better overall QB candidate.  He seems to have some pedigree (having been successful in the SEC) and also setting records while in the PAC12.  Great thing about him is that I don't think he'll demand a day one draft pick (as you said before) regardless of how many of those we may have come day one of this year's draft.