Biggest NFL Disappointments

adam

Biggest NFL Disappointments 2023 (Non-Bears)  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who/What was the biggest disappointment in the 2023-2024 season so far?

• Aaron Rodgers getting hurt 17 seconds into the season?
    • Bryce Young, that's it, that's the selection.
    • Chargers going from 10-7 to 5-12 with basically the same team.
    • Philly starting 10-1, then finishing 1-5 and losing to TB in the playoffs 32-9.
    • Dallas going 12-5 only to lose a home playoff game to Jordan Love 48-32.
    • The last 4 Alabama QBs (Mac Jones, Tua, Jalen Hurts, Bryce Young) all looking sus.
    • Mitch Trubisky getting benched for Mason Rudolph?
    • Taylor Swift's involvement in the NFL.
    • Other/Write In option.

After this weekend's outcomes, it looks like a few additional teams made it into the Disappointment zone. Outside of everything Bears related, who/what was the biggest disappointment this season?

50 minutes ago, adam said:

After this weekend's outcomes, it looks like a few additional teams made it into the Disappointment zone. Outside of everything Bears related, who/what was the biggest disappointment this season?

It's easily the Bears not making the playoffs. Apparently most fans thought a 3-14 was going to make a run for the playoffs or they wouldn't want to be blowing up the team in its second year of a 4 year rebuild. I was probably the only one on this website that thought they could end up a winning team. Optimize gone wrong.

Truth be told if a few games went differently  we could have been in the playoffs. A young coach, young QB, many young players. Poles never thought that, he seen disappointment, yet progress. He set the team up to have the most impact ful off-season in recent history. But now all of a sudden he doesn't know what he's doing  because he didn't do what half the fan base wants by retaining a coach. His choice at QB will make 50% of fan base happy and the other half calling for his job.

Thank God he doesn't let fans affect what choices he makes. He would probably be selling cars somewhere in New York. He does what he thinks is best and his job is at stake in his vision of the team. I trust his judgement whether it's my choices or not.

biggest disappointment not listed?

easy. franchise management handed the   'How to run a franchise into the ground and make incredibly bad decisions' the norm'     playbook to poles and warren.

Chapter 1: No matter what, keep the coaches under contract until we don't eat more than one season worth of salary no matter how bad they are.

Chapter 2: Always use the excuse that our decisions are based on player and coaching continuity and not wishing on a star.

Chapter 3: Always institute the 'Wait Until Next Year It Will All Come Together' doctrine for the suckers.

Chapter 4: If we personally like a coach or player because of his good character etc. always make excuses why he should be here whether in reality he doesn't.

Chapter 5: The bottom line is always that the ledger reads... Profits Made

Final Addendum: Add your own chapter here.

It was certainly a good list but in my mind the Philadelphia collapse really tops the list for me. How a team, without major injuries depleting their roster, can go from being the top rated team in the league to win the super bowl to losing to Tampa Bay in the wild card round is beyond me. What the hell happened? I bet their fan base is asking the same thing.

57 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

biggest disappointment not listed?

easy. franchise management handed the   'How to run a franchise into the ground and make incredibly bad decisions' the norm'     playbook to poles and warren.

Chapter 1: No matter what, keep the coaches under contract until we don't eat more than one season worth of salary no matter how bad they are.

Chapter 2: Always use the excuse that our decisions are based on player and coaching continuity and not wishing on a star.

Chapter 3: Always institute the 'Wait Until Next Year It Will All Come Together' doctrine for the suckers.

Chapter 4: If we personally like a coach or player because of his good character etc. always make excuses why he should be here whether in reality he doesn't.

Chapter 5: The bottom line is always that the ledger reads... Profits Made

Final Addendum: Add your own chapter here.

Chapter 6: They don't care what half of the fan base thinks.

21 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Chapter 6: They don't care what half of the fan base thinks.

So, are we being ". . . fooled all of the time" by management?  It would appear so, but it is their team.

Eagles for me.   

Dallas always comes up short of expectations every season.  The only question mark is how they will do that as each year they seem to find a new way to fail.  Likewise you can put the Chargers and all their "top NFL talent - QB, RB, WRs, DEs" in the same mix.  

I can't be disappointed in Rodgers injury since it took away a high pick from the Packers.  

2 hours ago, ChileBear said:

So, are we being ". . . fooled all of the time" by management?  It would appear so, but it is their team.

We can say that's just the Bears, but  they have different people running it now, so I don't think it's the same. IMO, I think fans have to have instant success or it's burn it down. I think Poles is smart and want to see how his plan turns out. Not saying he's going to be successful but he's the one they hired. I'm giving him the third year before I jump into the burn it down group. I feel that's fair, rarely does anyone rebuild a franchise in 2 years.

47 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We can say that's just the Bears, but  they have different people running it now, so I don't think it's the same. IMO, I think fans have to have instant success or it's burn it down. I think Poles is smart and want to see how his plan turns out. Not saying he's going to be successful but he's the one they hired. I'm giving him the third year before I jump into the burn it down group. I feel that's fair, rarely does anyone rebuild a franchise in 2 years.

I'm tired of GMs, like Pace, trying to do a quick fix and rebuild thru free agency deals, most often overspending and putting us in cap hell. I like the fact that Poles is "attempting" to rebuild by using the draft with FA as a last recourse if a player can be obtained at reasonable cost.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Agreed. Poles seems to have a plan and he sticks to it.