Cliff Stein

Pixote

I was upset when I first learned of Cliff Stein leaving the Bears. I was even more alarmed that it was rumored that Warren was the one who showed him the door. I just read an interesting article describing in detail the rise and fall of Cliff Stein and now fully understand why he was dismissed. 

The article describes Stein's change in approach to contract negotiations that had become an issue with players and their agents. It also mentioned that he felt Phillips and Stein mishandled negotiations with Arlington Heights which has led to a stalemate in Warren's plans for a stadium there. Finally, it states Warren is concerned that there are "leaks" in the front office of the organization and future dismissals might be announced in the near future.

An interesting article that goes much further in detail than what I just noted:

Cliff Stein’s rise and fall and what led to his dismissal

4 hours ago, Pixote said:

I was upset when I first learned of Cliff Stein leaving the Bears. I was even more alarmed that it was rumored that Warren was the one who showed him the door. I just read an interesting article describing in detail the rise and fall of Cliff Stein and now fully understand why he was dismissed. 

The article describes Stein's change in approach to contract negotiations that had become an issue with players and their agents. It also mentioned that he felt Phillips and Stein mishandled negotiations with Arlington Heights which has led to a stalemate in Warren's plans for a stadium there. Finally, it states Warren is concerned that there are "leaks" in the front office of the organization and future dismissals might be announced in the near future.

Good share. I was curious at the time of Stein’s tactics may have played into the stalemate with Johnson and his re-signing.   Will be interesting to see if he gets signed soon…

Did a quick read on Warren not all that long ago as I was curious about his legal background. Turns out both he and Stein had similar educational backgrounds. Both achieved their Bachelor’s in Business Admin before getting their law degree.  Warren went one more step between the two and got his MBA before getting his JD. So maybe more acumen for business management than Stein?  🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyhow, after joining the Bar, Warren’s first gig was with a firm that focused on “sports law” specifically representing Universities that had been charged with sanctions and violations. After a year or so with them he formed his own sports rep agency where his first client was Chris Zorich.  Some time later (after working with Dick Vermiel in St Louis) he  represented the Zilf (?) family when they purchased the Vikings.  Then was put into a similar role with the Vikings when they sought to build their own stadium.

All this to say, Warren has ‘been there done that’ with regards to the position he currently finds himself in.  And I trust he knows what he’s doing, not only with getting the Bears a new stadium (if that’s one of his missions) but also to manage the overall team to assure they are all on the same page.  

I just watched a Greg Gabriel podcast and come to find out he  has been employed by the Bears over the last 3 years. He is involved in work comp cases related to Bears released injured players. A huge friend with Stein who hired him. He said Warren wants his guys in place dealing with finances. Said the McCaskys loved Stein but let Warren fire him, showing their not in control anymore.

Also was talking about scouting on Williams. He said some things will come out that doesn't look good on his behalf but is the most talented QB in the draft . He said he's not guaranteed he goes # 1. He said that if they pass on a player , they always have a reason. Character, injury history, leadership issues. He said they passed on Pickens (WR) because of attitude issues. Same for Jaylon Carter.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I just watched a Greg Gabriel podcast and come to find out he  has been employed by the Bears over the last 3 years. He is involved in work comp cases related to Bears released injured players. A huge friend with Stein who hired him. He said Warren wants his guys in place dealing with finances. Said the McCaskys loved Stein but let Warren fire him, showing their not in control anymore.

Also was talking about scouting on Williams. He said some things will come out that doesn't look good on his behalf but is the most talented QB in the draft . He said he's not guaranteed he goes # 1. He said that if they pass on a player , they always have a reason. Character, injury history, leadership issues. He said they passed on Pickens (WR) because of attitude issues. Same for Jaylon Carter.

So Greg said "some things will come out that doesn't look good." Since he also states Williams is the most talented QB in the draft, one can only assume the "some things" are related to character issues. He then adds that the Bears passed on Pickens and Carter because of character issues. Seems to me he is trying to tell us something without betraying any confidence.

16 minutes ago, Pixote said:

So Greg said "some things will come out that doesn't look good." Since he also states Williams is the most talented QB in the draft, one can only assume the "some things" are related to character issues. He then adds that the Bears passed on Pickens and Carter because of character issues. Seems to me he is trying to tell us something without betraying any confidence.

sounds like it.

On 1/19/2024 at 8:24 AM, Pixote said:

Fascinating read Pix!  Thanks for sharing!