One good thing from tonight

Connorbear

Cross EVERYTHING on defense off the list.

I don't care what anyone says. The defense can't do it all. Sure, they haven't been perfect, but it's nearly impossible to do well when the defense screws the pooch every single game. There is no way the Bears defense deserved to lose this game; it's all on the offense.

Matt Toeaina #75. He made 2 outstanding plays stuffing Peterson for losses. He has only been on the roster for 1 week and has made a very nice impact. Cross DT off the list of needs for next yr in the draft.

Peace

Completely agree. The only way I would even think about taking a DT is if Glenn Dorsey was on the board. I must admit it would be hard to pass up a total stud like him. He has similar attributes that a guy like Harris has and I have to admit it would be ridiculous watching the two of them in the inside (good lord).

In all reality though, aside from LB (if Briggs goes), safety is the only spot I'd mess with on the defense (although I have no problem using later picks on the dline). I'd probably think/consider moving Manning to CB full time and release Manning Jr (Manning/McBride would be backup CB's with the 3rd being the other rookie corner, forget his name). Have Mike Brown/FA/Draft pick/McGowan at safety (quality FA) knowing if you must you can go with Manning (but try to just let Manning play one position and I think he has the athletic ability to be a solid CB in this league if you give him time to practice/play there for a camp/preseason and regular season).

This game was definately on the offense. Very hard for Orton to compete in the rollerdome. Still need to address some issues on D (safety comes to mind first).

Peace

Exactly. The defense while not perfected put our offense in many positions to win which they couldnt capitalize on. The biggest problem for our defense was our safeties.

The biggest problem for our defense was our safeties.

Yep, that's the only thing that's holding this defense back. With all the guys healthy next year, our D will be right back where it was last year, but we still need better Safety play. They're just not good.

Toeaina is a guy I was definitely impressed with. Kennedy played well too, I thought, for being out an entire year. I remember one play when he caused a double team that allowed someone else to break right through the line for a tackle.

With Harris, Dvoracek, Adams, and Idonije (who can play DE too) we have 4 guys we can count on for next year. Then, with Garay, Toeania, Kennedy, Oshinowo, and Walker (if he's not cut, which seems likely), I imagine we'll have to find 1 more guy from that group that can provide solid play and depth. DE is set with Ogunleye, Brown, Anderson (who needs to go back to being a 3rd down, Leonard Little-type DE), and Bazuin.

As for LB, we'll have to see what happens to Briggs (who needs to be re-signed, btw). Without him, that unit is questionable, though still should be solid with Urlacher and Hillenmeyer around. I'm sure Jamar Williams can be good, but he won't be Lance Briggs.

Yeah I really feel like if Vasher had been here for those 9 games we would be competing for a playoff spot right now instead of on the outside looking at the draft.

If you said Vasher, Brown, and Dvoracek, I probably would agree with you. Vasher himself is a difference maker, but he's not the difference between 5-9 and 8-6.

Cross EVERYTHING on defense off the list.

I don't care what anyone says. The defense can't do it all. Sure, they haven't been perfect, but it's nearly impossible to do well when the defense screws the pooch every single game. There is no way the Bears defense deserved to lose this game; it's all on the offense.

I thought a big difference was how Toeaina and Kennedy ate up the blockers and allowed Urlacher and Briggs to make a shit load of plays. Hopefully this opens up the eyes of this dam coaching staff and makes them realize what they need to do. I read or heard somewhere after they picked these two guys up, that they needed them for bodies, but they don't fit the type of tackle this team likes. Bullshit...

If you said Vasher, Brown, and Dvoracek, I probably would agree with you. Vasher himself is a difference maker, but he's not the difference between 5-9 and 8-6.

Do you remember the Daniel Manning Experiment the 4th quarter letdown in Detroit, The Washington game, and definitely the Seattle game. I really feel that he would have been a huge difference in all those games but Dusty and Brown are also major impacts but we have played well without them before.

I thought a big difference was how Toeaina and Kennedy ate up the blockers and allowed Urlacher and Briggs to make a shit load of plays. Hopefully this opens up the eyes of this dam coaching staff and makes them realize what they need to do. I read or heard somewhere after they picked these two guys up, that they needed them for bodies, but they don't fit the type of tackle this team likes. Bullshit...

I also thought that was a big factor in Urlacher and Briggs having good games. It was kind of like the "old days" of 5 years ago (or so) when we had Ted Washington and Keith Traylor as our DTs and Urlacher was pretty much free to create havoc. I also thought Toeaina especially stood out. He got into the backfield quite a bit against a good offensive line, made a couple of plays himself, and created opportunities for others. If he can keep this up, he might find himself with a job with the Bears again next year too.

That is half true... this system needs quicker pentrating DT's who can get to the QB. But you still need at least one or two big fatass run stuffers (Anthony Adams for example). Dusty can player either NT or UT in this system, and Walker should only play UT in this system unless it is a for sure passing down.

That is half true... this system needs quicker pentrating DT's who can get to the QB. But you still need at least one or two big fatass run stuffers (Anthony Adams for example). Dusty can player either NT or UT in this system, and Walker should only play UT in this system unless it is a for sure passing down.

and the system sucks is kinda what I'm getting at. If they want to play that way on passing downs and they have the bodies to do it then fine...but I think most first and second downs...you should have the big DT's in there and allow your LB's to use their speed and aggressiveness to make the plays. I don't know, I've just never been a huge fan of this scheme. It's bend don't break and predicated on turnovers, but if you don't get them...you're in trouble. Why have your best god dam player fighting with 300+ pound offensive linemen. Urlacher has some of the most freakish ability ever at the LB position and we have him grappling with guards and tackles, cause the Oline knows they can let our D line fly by them and before they know it the RB is past em and on to the second level.

and the system sucks is kinda what I'm getting at. If they want to play that way on passing downs and they have the bodies to do it then fine...but I think most first and second downs...you should have the big DT's in there and allow your LB's to use their speed and aggressiveness to make the plays. I don't know, I've just never been a huge fan of this scheme. It's bend don't break and predicated on turnovers, but if you don't get them...you're in trouble. Why have your best god dam player fighting with 300+ pound offensive linemen. Urlacher has some of the most freakish ability ever at the LB position and we have him grappling with guards and tackles, cause the Oline knows they can let our D line fly by them and before they know it the RB is past em and on to the second level.

Coincidentally my dad just sent me this email...Like Father like Son I guess....Sorry about the all caps...I can't get him to stop doing that shit.

I THINK URLACHER REALLY BENEFITTED FROM HAVING TWO MORE TRADITIONAL "READ AND REACT" TYPE OF LINEMEN PLAYING IN FRONT OF HIM ON MONDAY NIGHT. MATT TOEAINA AND JIMMY KENNEDY ARE NOT THE "3 TECHNIQUE" TACKLE TYPES THAT LOVIE LIKES, BUT HE WAS IN A BIND FOR TACKLES AND WAS FORCED INTO PLAYING A COUPLE OF GUYS HE WOULDN'T NORMALLY DRAFT OR PLAY. COINCIDENTALLY, BRIAN HAD HIS BEST GAME OF THE YEAR, MAKING TACKLES IN THE HOLE, SIDELINE TO SIDELINE, SACKING THE QB AND HE WAS RARELY PUSHED AROUND BY A 320 POUND LINEMAN.

DID LOVIE NOTICE THAT BRIAN HAD HIS BEST GAME OF THE YEAR AGAINST THE BEST RUSHING TEAM AND ONE OF THE BEST RUNNING BACKS IN THE NFL? I DOUBT HE WILL CHANGE HIS PHILOSOPHY, BUT IT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT BRIAN'S TALENTS ARE AMPLIFIED WHEN HE IS ALLOWED TO MOVE MORE FREELY TO THE BALL LIKE HE DID WHEN HE PLAYED BEHIND TRAYLOR AND WASHINGTON.

THE 3 TECHNIQUE CAN WORK IF YOU HAVE STRONG, SUPER QUICK TACKLES, LIKE TOMMIE HARRIS WAS BEFORE HIS INJURY, BUT TOMMIE IS NOT THE SAME PLAYER, AT LEAST NOT YET. I'VE NOTICED HIM GETTING PUSHED BACK 10 YARDS AND MORE IN SEVERAL GAMES THIS YEAR. IF TOMMIE CANNOT RETURN TO HIS FORMER SELF THEN LOVIE SHOULD CONSIDER THE MORE TRADITIONAL DEFENSE OR AT LEAST KEEP A COUPLE OF THE BIGGER TACKLES LIKE MINNESOTA USES ( #1 RUSH DEF.) ON OUR ROSTER.

REMEMBER WE COULD NOT STOP JOSEPH ADDAI IN THE NOT-SO-SUPER BOWL.

Coincidentally my dad just sent me this email...Like Father like Son I guess....Sorry about the all caps...I can't get him to stop doing that shit.

I THINK URLACHER REALLY BENEFITTED FROM HAVING TWO MORE TRADITIONAL "READ AND REACT" TYPE OF LINEMEN PLAYING IN FRONT OF HIM ON MONDAY NIGHT. MATT TOEAINA AND JIMMY KENNEDY ARE NOT THE "3 TECHNIQUE" TACKLE TYPES THAT LOVIE LIKES, BUT HE WAS IN A BIND FOR TACKLES AND WAS FORCED INTO PLAYING A COUPLE OF GUYS HE WOULDN'T NORMALLY DRAFT OR PLAY. COINCIDENTALLY, BRIAN HAD HIS BEST GAME OF THE YEAR, MAKING TACKLES IN THE HOLE, SIDELINE TO SIDELINE, SACKING THE QB AND HE WAS RARELY PUSHED AROUND BY A 320 POUND LINEMAN.

DID LOVIE NOTICE THAT BRIAN HAD HIS BEST GAME OF THE YEAR AGAINST THE BEST RUSHING TEAM AND ONE OF THE BEST RUNNING BACKS IN THE NFL? I DOUBT HE WILL CHANGE HIS PHILOSOPHY, BUT IT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT BRIAN'S TALENTS ARE AMPLIFIED WHEN HE IS ALLOWED TO MOVE MORE FREELY TO THE BALL LIKE HE DID WHEN HE PLAYED BEHIND TRAYLOR AND WASHINGTON.

THE 3 TECHNIQUE CAN WORK IF YOU HAVE STRONG, SUPER QUICK TACKLES, LIKE TOMMIE HARRIS WAS BEFORE HIS INJURY, BUT TOMMIE IS NOT THE SAME PLAYER, AT LEAST NOT YET. I'VE NOTICED HIM GETTING PUSHED BACK 10 YARDS AND MORE IN SEVERAL GAMES THIS YEAR. IF TOMMIE CANNOT RETURN TO HIS FORMER SELF THEN LOVIE SHOULD CONSIDER THE MORE TRADITIONAL DEFENSE OR AT LEAST KEEP A COUPLE OF THE BIGGER TACKLES LIKE MINNESOTA USES ( #1 RUSH DEF.) ON OUR ROSTER.

REMEMBER WE COULD NOT STOP JOSEPH ADDAI IN THE NOT-SO-SUPER BOWL.

Great stuff and I would agree. One of Brian's best games in yrs.

Peace :bears

I think you're right here. Have an anchor at NT to stuff the line and Harris or a quick DT pushing across the LOS seems to be a happy marriage of the two philosophies. I took a 2nd look at the INT Urlacher had on Sunday, and saw that one of the guys on the field was Toeaina. That left Url free to drop into coverage like Lovie wants.