* - - Official 2024 Draft Day Thread - - *

adam

4 minutes ago, Lucky Luciano said:

i agree. we got a starting quality player in the 4th. normally i wouldn't pick one that high but we are getting to the point where our roster is full and a pick this far down ends up on the practice squad or cut especially if they have an eye on some future cuts/free agents.

a punter is a really important part of your defense per se'. if this guy kills it it was worth it this particular year. next year we are fat with picks so something has to give for our roster then.

If he's all pro in two years, are we still complaining?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Lucky Luciano said:

i agree. we got a starting quality player in the 4th. normally i wouldn't pick one that high but we are getting to the point where our roster is full and a pick this far down ends up on the practice squad or cut especially if they have an eye on some future cuts/free agents.

a punter is a really important part of your defense per se'. if this guy kills it it was worth it this particular year. next year we are fat with picks so something has to give for our roster then.

He will be a starter and possibly be one of the leagues best.  The Bears were one of the worst in punting and now elevated that phase.  A DE/DT or C might not even see the field.  

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

2024 draft 

1) Caleb Williams

1b) Rome Odunze

2) Monteze Sweat

3) Kiran Amegadje OT  fixed

4) Keenan Allen

4b) Tory Taylor

5) Ryan Bates. 

I'm not complaining.

2024 draft 

1) Caleb Williams

1b) Rome Odunze

2) Monteze Sweat

4) Keenan Allen

4b) Tory Taylor

5) Ryan Bates. 

I'm not complaining.

27 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

He will be a starter and possibly be one of the leagues best.  The Bears were one of the worst in punting and now elevated that phase.  A DE/DT or C might not even see the field.  

Supposed to not be great at hang time is the main thing that concerns me. 

46 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I can only assume that Poles agreed that the prospects in the later rounds of this draft were not very inspiring. LOL Without any EDGE or 3T he felt comfortable with, he went with the top Punter in the draft. I know many of you will be disappointed, but it is actually a guy I wanted on our team.

for sure. If Poles had a great pass rushing prospect or 3T still on the board, he'd have taken him.

Remember with the NIL money keeping underclassmen in college, this draft was a very shallow one. You can think of a 4th round pick in this year as being like a 6th or 7th in another year. That's part of why we traded our lower picks away too.

Also, our roster is getting full, so it's going to be harder for any young lower round pick to make the team anyway.

As long as the QB pans out nothing else will matter but overall this was a good offseason for our roster.  We're finally getting to some depth in places that nobody talked about all offseason (i.e. LB, CB except for Jaylon's contract).    Two years into the rebuild with 3 offseasons behind us, the first of which was the tear down phase, this is a good effort by Poles.   

This year's draft didn't have a ton of depth so he used some of the late picks 4th/5th on adding good depth that can contribute this year.  We have good draft capital next year which will have a much deeper talent pool.  Plus we're in good shape with cap space.  

For 2025 the only key contributors I see on OTC that we'll have to make a contract decision on are Teven Jenkins and Keenan Allen.   We only have 33 players under contract but $76mil in cap space.  Poles will be in the driver seat.  Add in that he said in the press conference that it's getting easier to sign FAs as the team improves.  If the team plays well this year some of those vet FAs that are looking for a winning team might come our way for less money.  

15 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

for sure. If Poles had a great pass rushing prospect or 3T still on the board, he'd have taken him.

Remember with the NIL money keeping underclassmen in college, this draft was a very shallow one. You can think of a 4th round pick in this year as being like a 6th or 7th in another year. That's part of why we traded our lower picks away too.

Also, our roster is getting full, so it's going to be harder for any young lower round pick to make the team anyway.

There has to be some character or health concerns with Austin Booker.  It's not just us avoiding him.   

57 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

From a write up on the Bears site, explains why we drafted a punter:

Last season, Gill finished dead last among qualified punters in the NFL in net yards per punt at 38.0, which ultimately played a role in the Bears' decision to draft his replacement in Taylor.

5 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Any idea what we gave up in trade? I wanted us to have a full slate of draft picks next year.

Next year's 4th, so a possible pick in the 120s for 144. Booker was a top 100 player, so there is value there.

It will be interesting to see what Poles has up his sleeve. The guy has been a magician resetting our roster and making us respectable for the first time in many years.

I suspect he will be watching closely UDFAs and players cut after the draft for help in the trenches on both sides of the line. OCs, 3Ts, and anyone who can protect our QB or sack the opponent's QB.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Next year's 4th, so a possible pick in the 120s for 144. Booker was a top 100 player, so there is value there.

Thought I was safe to mow the grass and come back to see they traded back in.  Time to dust off the Marty Booker jersey. 

So our 2024 draft is:

1a) QB Caleb Wiliams

1b) WR Rome Odunze

2) DE Montez Sweat

3) OT Kiran Amagadjie

4a) WR Keenan Allen

4b) P Tory Taylor

5a) C Ryan Bates

5b) DE Austin Booker

not bad at ALL

We got major impact blue chippers at important positions QB, WR (x2), DE

And depth at important positions OT, DE

And added a very good center and punter.

6 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

2024 draft 

1) Caleb Williams

1b) Rome Odunze

2) Monteze Sweat

4) Keenan Allen

4b) Tory Taylor

5) Ryan Bates. 

I'm not complaining.

6 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

2024 draft 

1) Caleb Williams

1b) Rome Odunze

2) Monteze Sweat

4) Keenan Allen

4b) Tory Taylor

5) Ryan Bates. 

I'm not complaining.

That's what happens when you wake up in the middle of the night to look at the draft. ( brain dead)

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

There has to be some character or health concerns with Austin Booker.  It's not just us avoiding him.   

I seen a couple of scout services that had him ranked late 2 nd round as a grade. He's light at 24o only one year of production.  He's considered a project with high ceiling. Poles moved to the draft at that moment because they expected him to get picked. 

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

So our 2024 draft is:

1a) QB Caleb Wiliams

1b) WR Rome Odunze

2) DE Montez Sweat

3) OT Kiran Amagadjie

4a) WR Keenan Allen

4b) P Tory Taylor

5a) C Ryan Bates

5b) DE Austin Booker

not bad at ALL

We got major impact blue chippers at important positions QB, WR (x2), DE

And depth at important positions OT, DE

And added a very good center and punter.

There are 5 blue chip players listed if the punter becomes all pro. 5 out of 8 ain't bad.

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

There was some weird karma going on with the fact we were drafting him as I was posting this.  

• adam unfeatured and unpinned this topic