Austin Booker, Edge, Kansas, selected with pick #144

adam

A trade for an early 5th rounder. They got their guy who some expected to go at #122, at #144 so depending on the trade value, it seems like a great pick.

It cost next year's 4th. So assuming they are a fringe playoff team, that pick is in the 120s for 144. 

• adam changed the title to Austin Booker, Edge, Kansas, selected with pick #144
20 minutes ago, adam said:

A trade for an early 5th rounder. They got their guy who some expected to go at #122, at #144 so depending on the trade value, it seems like a great pick.

It cost next year's 4th. So assuming they are a fringe playoff team, that pick is in the 120s for 144. 

didn't the bears have two picks in the 4th next year?

that said, this kid could really become a special player. he is FAST and hits like butkus. he could be the steal of the draft (or bust LOL). the reason he dropped is his lack of playing time in minny. when he transfered to kansas it is pretty impressive.

19 minutes ago, adam said:

That's good value.  Booker is almost certainly a 3rd Rd pick next year if he stayed in school.  Maybe even high 2nd Rd and athletically he has traits to be a low 1st Rd talent.  Lots of development needed but he's already better than DomRobinson (super low bar) and might compare as a pass rusher to Walker.  By the end of the season he'll probably be better than anything we saw out of Ngakoue last year which was a horrifying low bar considering what we paid him.

NEXTGEN Stars NFL Draft Player Profiles 2024 - Patric Tursic

"Summary: one of the drafts biggest wild cards, a boom-or-bust prospect with tantalizing traits but very little track record. His elite physical tools, from his explosive first step to his rare length, give him as high a ceiling as any pass rusher in the class.

With more seasoning and added bulk, he could quickly develop into a dynamic impact player off the edge.

Scouts Notebook:

"I'm telling you, this kid Booker is going to shoot up the boards. He's got the freakish tools you can't teach and he's already showing the technique. Sky's the limit."

From the strengths and weakness I found listed (see copy and paste below) the only thing this kid needs is some mass & strength added to his young frame. I'm sure our teams' nutritionist & Strength and Conditioning Coach has already set up a schedule for him.

Strengths

• Possesses basketball-player wingspan with a frame that is sure to add more mass.

• Pairs long-striding edge attack with vicious inside spin counter.

• Impressive speed-to-power and dip-and-flatten techniques as a rusher.

• Excellent feel for turning shoulders and eluding blocker’s hands.

• Length and speed put him on top of QBs/RBs before they know it.

• Out-reaches the tackle to extend and set the edge versus the run.

• Shows unique ability to use his length to work around blocks.

• Has pursuit speed to rack up tackles and tackles for loss as a pro.

Weaknesses

• One of the lowest career snap counts (505, per PFF) you’ll see for a draftable prospect.

• Needs to get much stronger in both his upper and lower body.

• Pad level can get away from him on inside moves.

• Gets in trouble when run blockers sink into frame.

• Could struggle against downhill run attacks without trying to elude blocks.

13 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles surprised us twice punter at 4 and moved back in the draft. He needs some development but has a high ceiling.

He could've swapped the picks and they would've been just as good. Booker probably should've went in the 4th, but the assumption was Taylor would not have lasted into the 5th.

24 minutes ago, killakrzydav said:

Great value! I often selected this dude as my second de after many many trades. He has some real tools and upside. Probably a starter next year. This year he’s a third and long player

Absolutely, most mocks and big boards had him in the top 100. Dane Brugler had Booker at #78 in The Beast. So to get him for a future 4th, which may end up being in the 120s range, is a great value.

17 minutes ago, Pixote said:

I can't say I'm impressed with the video. I hope his game against Texas wasn't his best game.

Yeah he is still a work in progress, look at his tape from the Senior Bowl and what he did to Jordan Morgan (GBs new G) in the 1v1 drills. 

That game was in September, and he constantly improved throughout the year. In that game he had 1.5 TFL and 0.5 sacks. 

Well it wasn't a highlight reel, but I saw him shedding blocks, using his hands well, has a non stop motor and a heavy hitter. He has good size, length and bend, and he's athletic.

A good prospect, but not like a first or second round pick or ready to be an NFL 3 down starter.

I don't think we are giving Booker enough praise. Draft Buzz had him ranked as the 68th best player. Brugler had him at 78.  He was only a rotational player, 474 snaps only started one game. Which makes 37 pressures and 9 sacks that much bigger. One to two years of NFL development and we could have a 10+ sack guy.

This year as a situational pass rusher we could see 5 to 7  sacks which would be great. At 240 he needs at least 15 lbs added but isn't terrible against the run.

Also Draft Buzz had Kiran Amedgadjie ranked as the 63rd best player. Best punter in the last 10 years and this could be the best draft the Bears ever had even with only 5 players.

He looks goofy at first glance.  But if you look deep into it, he is covering ground very quickly.  He's so bendy, it looks like he's made of rubber.  Once he hits the professional weight room and gets his hand fighting down, it's going to be like trying to block flowing water.

I seen a podcast that said Booker was 252 lbs at his pro day. he lost weight to try get faster times at the combine. Also seen where his pro comparision was Maxx Crosby. Maxx is 6'5"  256, Booker is 6' 4 1/2" 252.  Crosbys first year he had 10 sacks, that would be nice if we get some millage out of Booker in  his first year. 

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I seen a podcast that said Booker was 252 lbs at his pro day. he lost weight to try get faster times at the combine. Also seen where his pro comparision was Maxx Crosby. Maxx is 6'5"  256, Booker is 6' 4 1/2" 252.  Crosbys first year he had 10 sacks, that would be nice if we get some millage out of Booker in  his first year. 

I have only seen one highlight film on Booker.  IMO, he has a non-stop motor but seems out of control.  He moves the QB with pressure but does it help or hurt because the plays I watched it seemed to get the QB into a safer place to make a play. He needs a lot of work before being an impact and the Bears have a coach I have seen do it (Washington). 

I won't expect much from Booker this year but to be asked to add 15# of strength and to learn some space control when pursuing so he doesn't move himself out of his contain area.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I have only seen one highlight film on Booker.  IMO, he has a non-stop motor but seems out of control.  He moves the QB with pressure but does it help or hurt because the plays I watched it seemed to get the QB into a safer place to make a play. He needs a lot of work before being an impact and the Bears have a coach I have seen do it (Washington). 

I won't expect much from Booker this year but to be asked to add 15# of strength and to learn some space control when pursuing so he doesn't move himself out of his contain area.

this is good criticism. I expect that Booker will be developmental this year as you say. I figure we are going to add another DE, maybe the guy from the Bengals, or maybe someone unexpected at the trade deadline.

25 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

this is good criticism. I expect that Booker will be developmental this year as you say. I figure we are going to add another DE, maybe the guy from the Bengals, or maybe someone unexpected at the trade deadline.

I think he will give much more than Robinson, but I don't think it will be Mark Anderson either.  If he accomplishes his assignment of adding the strength and contain, he could turn into a surprise addition year 2 or 3.

1 minute ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I think he will give much more than Robinson, but I don't think it will be Mark Anderson either.  If he accomplishes his assignment of adding the strength and contain, he could turn into a surprise addition year 2 or 3.

we have a bunch of guys like this now too. Some of them will bear fruit for sure.