Tillman to safety

Connorbear

I agree, we have two solid CBs and it's not worth it to mess that up. McBride looks like our future nickel CB. We can all speculate that Tillman would be good at safety but there's only one way to find out and if we put him there and we're wrong, we just created two holes.

I do think Manning is playing better at FS but he still not reading pass plays early enough to break up enough passes. His run support has been better with bigger hits but at times he takes poor angles. He gave up the big run the Packers had today by diving into the left side for some reason. There's been improvement over last year, yes, but hopefully he can improve again next year. The coaches should have never put him at CB, that practice time in camp when we was practicing both positions didn't help. At the time I agreed it seemed like a good idea because it was hard to rely on McBride or Graham but hindsight's 20:20.

I'd like to see Graham at CB next week but I'd also like to win so that probably won't happen.

I really think this is something the team should consider for next yr. I believe he could be an all pro safety and allow us to cut strings with Mike Brown. The only issue may be his salary as he is being paid as a corner.

Thoughts?

Peace :bears

Leave the talent where it belongs. Brown is still under contract. Here's a nifty idea...why doesn't the coaching staff develop the talent they have into better players? That way, we don't have to move a guy from CB--in my mind, a more difficult position to find than safety--and hope to draft a winner in that area. McBride has proven himself worthy of a roster spot this year. Graham has earned his paycheck for his ST play and nothing more. These two need to step up in the future.

Also, I really don't see bad things in the safety position with guys like Brown (injury prone as he may be), Manning, McGowan (I thought he played his best game today), and with Payne returning. Maybe something will show up in the draft, too.

I'm not a big fan of removing someone from their natural position. In Tillman's case there is justification for debate. Coming out of college, he was said to have good corner skills, but would be an all-pro at safety. If that is truly the case and if we had solid depth at corner, I would try it out in camp and see if he had the instincts to do it. That's what makes Brown so good at it. You can always switch back. You aren't going to screw Tillman up like what happened to D Manning earlier this season.

All told, I would see how the draft and FA pan out before attempting anything that drastic. As it would be drastic to remove our best corner to address another position.

We all know when that happens, Brown goes somewhere(probably the Patriots) and has a completely healthy and productive year.

Yeah, well oh freakin well. We can't be putting all our hopes into him being healthy and then have him get injured again and mess up the chemistry of the defense. I say lets just have McGowan (who has played fairly well in the past 2 games), Payne, and a draftee compete for the starting SS spot.

Yeah, well oh freakin well. We can't be putting all our hopes into him being healthy and then have him get injured again and mess up the chemistry of the defense. I say lets just have McGowan (who has played fairly well in the past 2 games), Payne, and a draftee compete for the starting SS spot.

Give Brown a shot, but if he gets injuried again it's gotta be "Thanks and goodluck, ya wanna coach here?" He has the mind to be a great coach, but the body may not be able to take the punishment anymore.

Give Brown a shot, but if he gets injuried again it's gotta be "Thanks and goodluck, ya wanna coach here?" He has the mind to be a great coach, but the body may not be able to take the punishment anymore.

We can't just keep spending a couple million on a player who will be injured for the whole season. I love Mike Brown as much as the next guy, but this has been his 4th staight season that he has ended up on IR. If he will except the vet minimum w/ incentives, then maybe, but I doubt he would except that.

No way. Tillman excels at CB. Why mess that up? The transition is not that easy either.

I would rather sign Brown to an incentive-laden deal, something that pays him by number of snaps or something along those lines. If he stays healthy, he gets paid, if not, it is low risk for the Bears.

You must be forgetting that McGowan spent a majority of the last two years on the IR as well, and lets not forget that Payne is on the IR too. Replace an injury prone player with more injury prone players(who cannot even hold Browns jock). Makes sense

You must be forgetting that McGowan spent a majority of the last two years on the IR as well, and lets not forget that Payne is on the IR too. Replace an injury prone player with more injury prone players(who cannot even hold Browns jock). Makes sense

Ha, that is funny, I never realized how little McGowan has played:

McGowan - 22 games played in the last 3 seasons.

Now Brown is no better:

Brown - 21 games played in the last 4 seasons.

The crazy thing is Brown played 16 games a season for 4 straight years before getting injured in 2004. At least he has shown he can stay healthy. McGowan has never played a full season.

Ha, that is funny, I never realized how little McGowan has played:

McGowan - 22 games played in the last 3 seasons.

Now Brown is no better:

Brown - 21 games played in the last 4 seasons.

The crazy thing is Brown played 16 games a season for 4 straight years before getting injured in 2004. At least he has shown he can stay healthy. McGowan has never played a full season.

My first comment regarding Brown was more tongue-in-cheek than anything. It just figures that it would happen that the Bears would give up on someone due to injury and then watch him excel somewhere else and remain completely healthy.

Football is a strange beast when it comes to injuries, and Brown has certainly showed that the injury bug can be extremely unpredictable and streaky.

As for replacing Brown in the secondary, its gonna be extremely difficult. In my perfect world, the Bears would be able to snake manchild extraordinaire Adrian Wilson away from the Arizona Cardinals on the cheap because his season also ended in injury(heel injury that required surgery) and then draft a safety in the mid rounds and hope that Payne can stay healthy, Manning continues to make strides, and McGowan can stay healthy.

I wouldnt mind seeing Brown with an incentive laden deal based on games played, either.

My first comment regarding Brown was more tongue-in-cheek than anything. It just figures that it would happen that the Bears would give up on someone due to injury and then watch him excel somewhere else and remain completely healthy.

Football is a strange beast when it comes to injuries, and Brown has certainly showed that the injury bug can be extremely unpredictable and streaky.

As for replacing Brown in the secondary, its gonna be extremely difficult. In my perfect world, the Bears would be able to snake manchild extraordinaire Adrian Wilson away from the Arizona Cardinals on the cheap because his season also ended in injury(heel injury that required surgery) and then draft a safety in the mid rounds and hope that Payne can stay healthy, Manning continues to make strides, and McGowan can stay healthy.

I wouldnt mind seeing Brown with an incentive laden deal based on games played, either.

Yeah, I think the incentive laden deal would be the most logical route as well. With Brown in the lineup, the Defense is clearly better. I don't know if the stats reflect that, but it appears that way.

Yeah, I think the incentive laden deal would be the most logical route as well. With Brown in the lineup, the Defense is clearly better. I don't know if the stats reflect that, but it appears that way.

im pretty sure last year if you looked at the run stats from before Brown went out compared to after he got hurt, the difference was staggering. Of course, Tommie Harris figured into that as well

im pretty sure last year if you looked at the run stats from before Brown went out compared to after he got hurt, the difference was staggering. Of course, Tommie Harris figured into that as well

The defense looks so much faster to the ball with him in the game. I can't explain it, whether it is confidence or something else, but he brings more than just raw skill to the team.