NFC North division stuff (not Bears)

Stinger226

Gerald Goff just got a 212 mil contract extension. 170  mil guaranteed, 73 mil signing bonus. Now he has played well the last two years and is the second highest paid QB but I would rank him 10-12 as far as best QBs. 

QB salaries are crazy.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Gerald Goff just got a 212 mil contract extension. 170  mil guaranteed, 73 mil signing bonus. Now he has played well the last two years and is the second highest paid QB but I would rank him 10-12 as far as best QBs. 

QB salaries are crazy.

they sure are. and people pay for what you might become too, because having that franchise QB is what the league is all about, and there arent really very many of them in the world. Certainly not enough for every team to have one.

We sure got lucky with Lovie winning that last second TD, getting the first pick overall and the Poles masterfully turning that into a haul and lucking into the first pick this year and having Williams be there this year.

17 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

they sure are. and people pay for what you might become too, because having that franchise QB is what the league is all about, and there arent really very many of them in the world. Certainly not enough for every team to have one.

We sure got lucky with Lovie winning that last second TD, getting the first pick overall and the Poles masterfully turning that into a haul and lucking into the first pick this year and having Williams be there this year.

Luck definity involved but Poles took the chances to improve and it worked out. If CW plays great his first 2 yrs does he then want a new contract?

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Luck definity involved but Poles took the chances to improve and it worked out. If CW plays great his first 2 yrs does he then want a new contract?

Yes, and with the escalating QB salaries, it will be for more than 100M per year. 

there is nothing better than having a QB who is worth that top salary. If that happens, we should be happy indeed!

Also, maybe Williams will take a page from Tom Brady's plan and take less than he is worth so they can still afford a team around him, which results in more wins, and more SB wins means more $ in endorsements too?

10 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

there is nothing better than having a QB who is worth that top salary. If that happens, we should be happy indeed!

Also, maybe Williams will take a page from Tom Brady's plan and take less than he is worth so they can still afford a team around him, which results in more wins, and more SB wins means more $ in endorsements too?

For someone that made 10 mil while in college, if he has a great start, I can see him in his third season wanting the money . So much for a 5 year rookie contract. 

11 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

For someone that made 10 mil while in college, if he has a great start, I can see him in his third season wanting the money . So much for a 5 year rookie contract. 

If he proves it, he'll get it.

On 5/15/2024 at 9:28 PM, Stinger226 said:

I thought there is a rule that you cannot negotiate an extension before the end of year 3of a rookie contract. That means the Bears would still have year 4 plus the 5th year option at their disposal.

52 minutes ago, lemonej said:

I thought there is a rule that you cannot negotiate an extension before the end of year 3of a rookie contract. That means the Bears would still have year 4 plus the 5th year option at their disposal.

You may be right, dont know all the rules

Locking Goff in for a top 5 QB deal is great for the entire NFC North. Once he gets hit, it's game over. I know they had no choice and the Bears would do the same thing in a heart beat, but Goff is turning 30. Injury risk increases every year and he is already a statue. 

The one thing the media doesn't talk about is the actual cap hit for Goff. It is relatively the same for the next two years, then balloons to over $69M in 2026 (24% of the cap), $54M in 2027, and $61M in 2028. So they really have the next two years or they will look at a restructure after two years. The problem they are going to have is St. Brown's new deal and Sewell's new deal also balloon in 2026 (to $29M and $32M respectively). So between those 3, they will have a $130M cap hit in 2026 (45% of the cap). If you add Hutchinson's 5th year option and Glasgow, those top 5 players would take up over 56% of the cap in 2026 with very little wiggle room. They are going to have to shed a ton of salary over the course of the next two seasons while basically resigning none of their current players. 

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

He's an article from the Tribune featuring my nephew.  He played for IU and had a stint with the Bears.  We are so proud of him.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/05/19/kofi-hughes-football-athletic-trainer/

Very cool. I am glad he got over the substance abuse stuff as that stuff is sticky. Here is the article if you can't see it at the Trib:

https://www.aol.com/kofi-hughes-used-football-hide-110000505.html

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

He's an article from the Tribune featuring my nephew.  He played for IU and had a stint with the Bears.  We are so proud of him.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/05/19/kofi-hughes-football-athletic-trainer/

You certainly should be proud. The young man not only turned his life around but is also making a significant difference in the lives of young athletes through his program. 

I never knew biracial kids dealt with identity issues. I had a biracial friend in HS. I wonder if he had the same problems. 

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

awesome. It's not easy to get over that kind of stuff, you guys must be very proud.

49 minutes ago, Pixote said:

You certainly should be proud. The young man not only turned his life around but is also making a significant difference in the lives of young athletes through his program. 

I never knew biracial kids dealt with identity issues. I had a biracial friend in HS. I wonder if he had the same problems. 

Thanks Pix.  Yeah, it's a big deal.  It's sometimes how adopted kids feel somewhat out of place.  Our family does a pretty good job of simply loving our own and not looking at race.  There are people out there, of all colors, that won't let it go.  It gets better with each generation.