Briggs says he will play....

Connorbear

I agree it's not noble or warrior-like, but it's also his last chance to show his wares before he goes to market.

I dont even think its that. Everyone in the league knows what kind of player he is. Why would he risk going out and playing sub 100% health and risk aggravating his injury unless there was a better reason. He has nothing to gain by playing and everything to lose. This HAS to be an insurance policy to make sure we cant tag him again.

He loses value in the open market if Jamar Williams plays well in his place because teams will start to think his numbers are more based on the system he plays in rather than his individual skill. He's still going to get a big paycheck no matter what. I'd rather see Williams play so we know what we have to do in the offseason...try to sign Briggs or stay pat and save the money.

I dont think theres much of anything that can happen in this game that is going to drastically effect his value. Who cares what Williams does. Were playing against a dome team, down to their third running back who is pretty much all but eliminated from the playoffs. Williams play is in too small of a window in shitty weather for it to make people second guess Briggs' talent. This exact situation is why players dont like to be franchised. He has to go out and try to boost his value at less than 100% and if he gets seriously injured, thats it...

He loses value in the open market if Jamar Williams plays well in his place because teams will start to think his numbers are more based on the system he plays in rather than his individual skill. He's still going to get a big paycheck no matter what. I'd rather see Williams play so we know what we have to do in the offseason...try to sign Briggs or stay pat and save the money.

Briggs has played in the league for 5 years. Do you REALLY think this one game will make a damn bit of difference? If any GM lets this one game have an impact on whether or not they want to sign Briggs, then that GM is an idiot.

Briggs has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is a very good, but not a great player. He's consistent, rarely misses games, he gets good position to make the play, and he's a great tackler. IMO he's not worth the money they are saying he'll make, but that's true of damn near every free agent on the market.

I dont even think its that. Everyone in the league knows what kind of player he is. Why would he risk going out and playing sub 100% health and risk aggravating his injury unless there was a better reason. He has nothing to gain by playing and everything to lose. This HAS to be an insurance policy to make sure we cant tag him again.

I dunno........

I read in the Trib that by an unofficial count, New Orleans would have to run double the number of plays on offense in an average game for it to be close. That would be a freak occurance.

I think it's at least equally possible that he realizes this will probably be his last game with his current teammates, he doesn't want Jamar to have a chance to make him look less special, and has a desire to avoid looking like he's pouting. I think if you asked a guy like Rosenhaus, he'd say there is little upside to sitting out without a serious injury in your final game before you become a free agent when it comes to marketability.

As for his injury, I know it's a hip thing. Is it something that could be aggravated? If it's a bruise and any swelling has gone down, I'm not sure how it could be seriously aggravated.

Briggs has played in the league for 5 years. Do you REALLY think this one game will make a damn bit of difference? If any GM lets this one game have an impact on whether or not they want to sign Briggs, then that GM is an idiot.

However, any GM that doesn't use every single possible issue to negotiate a lower price, is incompetent. ;)

However, any GM that doesn't use every single possible issue to negotiate a lower price, is incompetent. ;)

This isnt like hes gonna be negotiating with one team and they are gonna use this to leverage him. Theres gonna be a handful of teams lining up to overpay for him and if some team wants a discount because he sat out this game him and Rosenhaus will move on to the next suitor.

On AM 1000 in Chicago market (ESPN) it was said that Briggs told the media in an interview that he would play this weekend against NOS "if healthy".

If that is the case, he has left himself an easy out to not play.

I feel he does not want to chance an injury in a game that has no value to the Bears except for pride and development for 2008. Let's face it, if he sustained a major injury in the game this weekend, it could easily cost him Millions of $$$$$$$$$$.

I honestly think he will sit out this game.

Yeah, I think they have come good film on Briggs by now. He's already made the pro-bowl as well... Again. honestly, if I were Briggs, I wouldn't mind getting franchised again. Hell he just got 7.2 mil this year. He'll probably get 9+ next year. Maybe also gain leverage to sign a long term deal with the Bears or get a fat guaranteed signing bonus in 09. Anyway it goes from here on out he's a winner. The odds of him getting a career ending injury are very slim at this point.

Look, if Briggs didn't play against the Packers, I doubt he'll play against the Saints. I would rather play Williams at this point anyway. We need to get more looks at him. If I were Lovie, I'd want to see more of Williams simply because we are really going to need to be certain he can get the job done on the off chance we don't resign Briggs AND Williams might be building trade value if we do resign Briggs.