Step right up - Free Kool-Aid Served ....

Pixote

I personally believe all is not so bleak in the Bears future as many seem to think.

I have seen this type of post elsewhere, I believe back on Bearstalk.com, but I thought it would be worth mentioning again. Since the year 2000 only one team losing the SB game has returned to the playoffs, and that was a 9-7 Seattle team that made the playoffs because of an extremely weak division, otherwise it would have been 8 out of 8 failing to return.

Only one team, OAK, followed up their SB loss with 2 dismal seasons back to back. Not a surprise seeing the moves OAK has made over the past few years.

I feel the Bears are much better than many believe. With a return of a "Healthy" defense and the repair of the OL, along with some better depth at RB on the O and Safety on the D, we will be a dominate factor and back into the playoffs next year. A good OL will sole a multitude of problems!

Here are some interesting facts on the SB losers starting 2000:

2000 - Baltimore won SB 34 to 7 over NYG (12-4). The Giants then went 7-9 in 2001 but then turned it around in 2002 and went 10-6, went to the playoffs, lost Rd 1 39-38 to SFO.

2001 - NEP won SB 20 to 17 over STL (14-2). STL then went 7-9 in 2002 but then turned it around and went 12-4 in 2003, went to the playoffs, lost Rd 2 29-23 to CAR.

2002 - TBB won SB 48 to 21 over OAK (11-5). Oak then went 4-12 in 2003 & 5-11 in 2004.

2003 - NEP won SB 32 to 29 over CAR (11-5). CAR then went 7-9 in 2004 but then turned it around and went 11-5 in 2005 losing in RD 3 of the playoffs 34-14 to SEA.

2004 - NEP won SB 24 to 21 over PHI (13-3). PHI then went 6-10 in 2005 but turned it around in 2006 going 10-6, losing in Rd 2 of the playoffs 27 - 24 to NOS.

2005 - PIT won the SB 21-10 over SEA (13-3). SEA then lucked out and went 9-7 in 2006 primarily do an extremely weak division and are currently at 10-5 with one game left.

2006 - IND won SB 29 to 17 over CHI (13-3) (still feel we should have won, ugh). We are currently at 6-9 but hopefully we will finish 7-9.

I honestly feel if Angelo & Co address our needs we will be in the Playoffs next season!!

Step right up, free Bears Kool-Aid served 24-7 now through the SB in 2009 (2008 season) when the Bears defeat ???? to win it ALL!!

so, how do we get the 3 first round selections?

Same thing I was thinking...we don't need a first round running back anyway (just like we didn't need Benson). It'd be a waste behind the present OL.

Draft OL, OL, OL as far as I'm concerned...maybe Flacco or Brennan in the 3rd/4th.

As for next year, I have high hopes. I'm looking forward to...

1) Mike Brown being healthy

2) An open QB competition with a good rookie

3) A retooled OL

4) A motivated and healthy Benson with Wolfe as a legit 3rd down RB

5) A new OC

6) A healthy Tommie Harris

7) A healthy Dusty Dvoracek

8) A healthy Nathan Vasher

9) A new starting safety combo

10) A promise of an explosive WR-corp with Hester getting more offensive touches

11) A proper usage of an incredible weapon in Greg Olsen

12) A relatively high first round draft pick

13) A completely healthy Urlacher

14) A distraction-less situation with or without Lance Briggs

15) A return to prominence

Just think, the Bears will essentially be getting seven high draft picks back (the actual 1st rounder this year, Tommie Harris, Mike Brown, Nathan Vasher, Cedric Benson, Dusty Dvoracek, Dan Bazuin).

Look for the Bears to be back in a HUGE way next year.

Same thing I was thinking...we don't need a first round running back anyway (just like we didn't need Benson). It'd be a waste behind the present OL.

Draft OL, OL, OL as far as I'm concerned...maybe Flacco or Brennan in the 3rd/4th.

As much as we all want JA to taked 8 OL in this draft, he's not. at the most, he takes 2, IMO, and signs 1 or 2 on FA.

I would love to have Stewart. Yes, we do need a RB. Benson is average at best...AP too. Wolfe is nothing more than a 3rd down back. there is no real option for the future. But the 1st is too early for RB unless JA can trade down and pick up 2 1st rounders....if not, OL is the pick.

Brennan just doesnt do anything for me but Flacco is a very interesting prospect. I dont know if he'll last past the 3rd and he might make it up in to the 2nd if he has a good enough combine. If he's there with the first 3rd rounder, I'd take him in a heart beat.

As much as we all want JA to taked 8 OL in this draft, he's not. at the most, he takes 2, IMO, and signs 1 or 2 on FA.

I would love to have Stewart. Yes, we do need a RB. Benson is average at best...AP too. Wolfe is nothing more than a 3rd down back. there is no real option for the future. But the 1st is too early for RB unless JA can trade down and pick up 2 1st rounders....if not, OL is the pick.

Brennan just doesnt do anything for me but Flacco is a very interesting prospect. I dont know if he'll last past the 3rd and he might make it up in to the 2nd if he has a good enough combine. If he's there with the first 3rd rounder, I'd take him in a heart beat.

Brennan just doesn't do anything for you!!!!!!????? Are you serious?!

I can understand someone being a system QB, but that kid has all the tools. He's a stud, and will play in the NFL. One does not become the most prolific passing QB in college history without having skill. As a rookie, he'd be comparable to what Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton are now. It's not like they make great reads or anything. Hell, Grossman has been with the team a few years now and still makes bad reads and stupid throws.

I can understand someone being a system QB, but that kid has all the tools. He's a stud, and will play in the NFL. One does not become the most prolific passing QB in college history without having skill. As a rookie, he'd be comparable to what Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton are now. It's not like they make great reads or anything. Hell, Grossman has been with the team a few years now and still makes bad reads and stupid throws.

Colt Brennan is so freakin overrated... He's 25 or 26, has some character concerns, doesn't have good mechanics and will have many balls batted down at the line, isn't all that great at rerading defenses, never dumps the ball down, and plays in a system that would give any half-way decent QB great stats. The only way we should think about drafting him is if we shift to the WCO (the only offense Brennan would fit into in the NFL), and even then, I'd probably prefer Josh Johnson over him.

My gut tells me otherwise. I'll watch the bowl game when he plays against a real defense and see if I change my mind. But when you come from a system that made Tommy Chang look good, I have my doubts. He may be a good NFL QB but with out a real OC and a couple years of development, he wont amount to much.

In watching highlights, one thing sticks out to me. he has ZERO pressure in his face and all day to throw the ball. We all know that's not going to happen in the NFL. Plus, he'll get knocked over in a stiff wind cause he's 200# soaking wet. Then there's his delivery. with that sidearm, he'll have more balls batted than a drunk hooker in the NFL. I have yet to see ANYTHING in highlights that make me say wow. I see a very well executed SYSTEM. He does have a strong, quick throw but you need more in the NFL than a good arm.

I strongly disagree with that... I think he can be a well above average back in this league, and with a revamped OLine and an OC who would actually give him the ball, I think he can have a great season next year... However, I feal we need to bring someone else in the challenge Benson. I like Peterson as a situational guy and special teamer, and Wolfe as a receiving threat, but that's about it...

1. Otah or Clady

2. Sweed

3. Stewart

That's 3 rounds, not 1.

Stewart is a 1st rounder. If he lasted in to the 2nd, that would be a huge value pick.

Sweed a possible 1st rounder too....though unlikely since he got hurt but if he has good workouts, he could solidify himself in the 1st.

I personally believe all is not so bleak in the Bears future as many seem to think.

I have seen this type of post elsewhere, I believe back on Bearstalk.com, but I thought it would be worth mentioning again. Since the year 2000 only one team losing the SB game has returned to the playoffs, and that was a 9-7 Seattle team that made the playoffs because of an extremely weak division, otherwise it would have been 8 out of 8 failing to return.

Only one team, OAK, followed up their SB loss with 2 dismal seasons back to back. Not a surprise seeing the moves OAK has made over the past few years.

I feel the Bears are much better than many believe. With a return of a "Healthy" defense and the repair of the OL, along with some better depth at RB on the O and Safety on the D, we will be a dominate factor and back into the playoffs next year. A good OL will sole a multitude of problems!

I agree and think we'll be back next year. Thing is we'll have a tough division next year. The Pack are a couple of players away from being really good and have a ton of money under the cap. I think Minny is a QB and WR away from being a contender as well.

I see us drafting 2 new OL's and getting 1 in FA.

We'll probably draft competition for Benson from the 3rd round on.

We should sign Berrian or teams will put everyone in the box.

Bring back Mike Brown for one more try. He's that good. Draft a FS replacement. D Manning is not the answer.

Put A. Brown back as starter and bring Anderson in on passing downs.

Coaches will need too concentrate efforts in rekindling the fire that was lost this year. Also, develop some innovative gameplans and contingencies. Sticking with the run will be a start.

I'll be good with 11-5 or 10-6. Our division should be brutal next season. Either one of those records takes it, IMO.

They obviously need to address the O line and they absolutely need to upgrade at WR or at RB. We dont have enough WR talent to overcompensate for no running game and vice versa. As far as Benson goes, he is never gonna be anything what we expected when he was drafted. Sure the o line isnt helping but that doesnt change the fact that he cant break arm tackles, he cant cut back, he cant block and he cant catch. Until we have a running game that teams have to respect its going to be very difficult to keep defenses honest.

I would say right off the bat, with the players returning from injury, the Bears are a 8/9 win team next year. If the Bears can solidify the OLine, that will probably give them 2 more wins as long as the Offense gets on track. I can see a Bears team winning as many as 11 next year, with a low of 7 depending on how everything falls into play this offseason.

I agree and think we'll be back next year. Thing is we'll have a tough division next year. The Pack are a couple of players away from being really good and have a ton of money under the cap. I think Minny is a QB and WR away from being a contender as well.

I see us drafting 2 new OL's and getting 1 in FA.

We'll probably draft competition for Benson from the 3rd round on.

We should sign Berrian or teams will put everyone in the box.

Bring back Mike Brown for one more try. He's that good. Draft a FS replacement. D Manning is not the answer.

Put A. Brown back as starter and bring Anderson in on passing downs.

Coaches will need too concentrate efforts in rekindling the fire that was lost this year. Also, develop some innovative gameplans and contingencies. Sticking with the run will be a start.

I'll be good with 11-5 or 10-6. Our division should be brutal next season. Either one of those records takes it, IMO.

I'm with you on your FA and draft moves. I believe there really is not a lot of work needed to get things turned around, but rather smart moves and continued work through the years.

I'm thinking 4 new starters on OL should come from this draft and FA (maybe not starters in '08, but you get my point)

Return with Berrian, Grossman, and R. Brown (1 year only)

Draft a future QB again. Try developing him this time. Dump Griese. Try having QB competition for starting spot.

Replace Muhammad with WR from AZ--Bryant Johnson. Play guys like Hass and Riddeau.

Return with same corps on defense minus Briggs, Archuletta, and RMJ. Expect the guys who didn't start or play their positions to compete for positional work or hit the road. No one should stay because they are good at ST play.

Get a new OC.

Get Michael Turner in FA.

The Packers will not be major players in FA. That is their MO per Ted Thompson a few years ago. They will get passed up by the smart FA players.

My gut tells me otherwise. I'll watch the bowl game when he plays against a real defense and see if I change my mind. But when you come from a system that made Tommy Chang look good, I have my doubts. He may be a good NFL QB but with out a real OC and a couple years of development, he wont amount to much.

In watching highlights, one thing sticks out to me. he has ZERO pressure in his face and all day to throw the ball. We all know that's not going to happen in the NFL. Plus, he'll get knocked over in a stiff wind cause he's 200# soaking wet. Then there's his delivery. with that sidearm, he'll have more balls batted than a drunk hooker in the NFL. I have yet to see ANYTHING in highlights that make me say wow. I see a very well executed SYSTEM. He does have a strong, quick throw but you need more in the NFL than a good arm.

I don't know how you can draw conclusions by watching a few highlights. Although I respect your opinion, watch a complete game like the upcoming bowl game. I was far more impressed with Brennan in games that I was by Flacco.

Brennan does have a weird release but it's very quick, about 1/3 the time it takes Kyle Orton to windup and throw. He's also accurate even under pressure. He did get a lot of pressure and had to scramble a lot against Washington State, which he does better than any QB on our roster. He also threw a lot of dumpoff routes in that game, in fact it seemed like that was 25-30% of their plays, inside and outside screens. He also threw a beautiful deep pass that hit his WR in stride straight down the middle of the field. That sidearm release might keep him from being effective in a West Coast offense since it will be easier to knock down his passes but his quick release would fit the system.

I'm not sure why you feel he can't read a defense as he seemed to do that well enough in the two games I saw but there's a big difference between reading college and NFL defenses and there's no way we can know that about any college QB until they get in an NFL game. I'd like to hear your thoughts on why. It remains a legit concern for me especially given the average level of competition he's faced in college.

Please don't compare him to Tommy Chang just because they went to the same school. Chang never had any arm strength and never looked anything like Brennan while running the same offense. It's not the overall numbers like passing yards that matter to me because that is related to the system, it's his accuracy and arm strength. Typically QBs in a spread offense have weak arms and just hit guys on quick slants and short outs and the yards come on the run after catch. Hawaii will run more deep outs and come back patterns. I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays in the Sugar Bowl against Georgia.

HONOLULU (AP) -- Tired of his prolific passer being labeled a so-called "system quarterback," Hawaii coach June Jones on Monday pointed to another star quarterback running a system: Florida's Tim Tebow.

Jones said the key difference, however, is that his record-breaking quarterback, Colt Brennan, runs an NFL-style offense while Tebow runs a "college system."

OAS_AD('TopRight');var tcdacmd="sa=a;sz=3;ad";

"My quarterback has been labeled a 'system quarterback' for three years," Jones said. "He is the best passer in college history. He is. There is no question about it. Tim Tebow is in a system."