Position by position thoughts

nfoligno

I want to keep Orton, and in any plans I have laid out, he is part of the picture. The key for me is where in the picture he fits. I am fine w/ him being in play to start, but I do not want to go into next year w/ him as the likely starter.

where any of the qb's we had this season "fit in the picture" is certainly a cause for concern.

starting with grossman, we had the jeckle and hyde quarterback. his play after being benched was a major improvement from anything we have seen from him since his rookie season. enough improvement that it left open the door as to what he really is able to perform like. it was a major loss to determine what he really is when he went down AGAIN with an injury before the final evaluation could be obtained. that leaves us in the quandry of what do you do with this guy? we know almost nothing more about him than when he was drafted. his luck, injury wise, is abysmal and that is set in stone. i can't think of a qb more mcmahonish in an injury perspective.

i have stated in the past (and argued the point) that size in a qb is important and grossman is in the category of smallish, just meeting the minimum size. in almost all instances, a qb of his stature needs escapability and scrambling talent which up to now he has not had to any degree that could be considered a plus.

i agree that grossman will probably not sign in chicago. one factor for me would be that the only way we keep grossman is if you really open up (not just LIP SERVICE) competition in camp with orton or even a rookie qb if drafted. he is not going to buy into that unless he has no other teams of interest for him and i don't see that as possible. whether he goes to another team and shines into a HOF qb is possible but we can't keep holding the head of our qb staff's future under water to find out.

orton - i see in orton a front line qb that has that ugly word potential. if orton can really grasp the mental aspects of the game he could be the franchise qb we have been desparate to see in chicago for the next 10 years. NOT a passive game manager but a real offensive threat to build an offense around. the improvement from his rookie season is clearly evident to me but we have not seen enough of him to fully grade his mental aspects of the qb position completely. he certainly has the physical aspects and at least up to this point has remained healthy. so the toughness aspect is clearly in his favor (knock on wood). his pocket presence and escapability from what little we have seen is also a plus in his favor.

his statis in the near future? i would consider him as the starter next season and draft real talent to push him.

griese - i was a great supporter of bringing griese into chicago to backup our starter and in a pinch we should have been able to compete for a SB with this game manager type qb if our defense could perform at the highest level.

that perspective for me has changed. griese is not as good as i expected him to be in the backup starter role. that is not to say he couldn't 'possibly' get it done in that role with better personel on our offense and a killer D but i don't see him being millions of dollars better than another vet at a cheaper cap hit and CERTAINLY not a major asset with orton on our roster either as a starter OR backup.

should he stay? it depends on how much griese's cap hit is. if it's as high as you say and we won't gain anything by releasing him then yea keep him for another year.

the future holds....?

maybe the most serious question/problem in respect to our qb situation (other than angie and his inability to evaluate and draft talent) rests squarely with our coaching staff. i have no confidence that this staff can evaluate the talent we have let alone possess the ability to teach them to be better players in the nfl.

we have seen grossman handed the keys to the kingdom year after year by these guys without any REAL competition in camp. all we got was lip service about competition when everyone and his brother knew grossman was set in that position barring injury.

after seeing orton play the last 3 games of the season, can anyone say with any authority that griese played better than orton? we saw this staff start griese when grossman went down and stick with him through 3 abismal games when clearly kyle orton SHOULD have been the starter. shouldn't this have been seen by this coaching staff from day one in training camp or at the very least in practice during the season?? yet these clowns are so blind that orton was treated as if he were a leper.

in fact, i thought there must be something seriously wrong with orton's mental aspect of playing qb to be treated like this by our coaching staff. this is a serious knock on their ability to even know what their own personel they've seen through camp and practice are capable of!!

i will state it right now that at the very least, orton should have been our #2 starting the season. if these idiots would have PUT orton in, as it should have been, we would have had a REAL 6 game evaluation of orton when we needed it most (now grossman's contract is up).

First point I would make it, I believe it is all about the QB. Few teams do well, much less long term, w/o a great QB.

i have been saying this for years and years. every dinasty has a great qb and especially in this era without one (the nfl is geared to passing offenses) you will be lucky to show up in a SB every 20-30 years let alone win one.

I do not know our cap situation. I have read $19m, but really have no clue. First, I would point out that McNabb would not be that expensive. We do not take on any part of his SB, and only pay him his base salary. His 2008 base salary is $6.3. Not sure of any roster bonuses, but let's bump it up to $7m just in case. That isn't chump change, but not too expensive for a pro bowl QB either. We can afford him.

again, i would love to have mcnabb but i believe the cost will kill us in the short term. if he were in his prime i would say absolutely, bring him in and build an offense around him for the next 10 years. but he isn't. he is on the downslope of his career at 31 and has been beaten up pretty good in the process. how many years can he play yet? is that enough time to justify what you are giving up to get him in draft picks and salary and will it bring you a superbowl in that short of a timeframe? can you add enough good players around him in this short term time to really compete for a superbowl win? even if we were set for offensive players it usually takes about a year for a qb to get in sinc with different players and a different system.

if our offensive line could protect him without additions it might be possible, but face it, we need at a minimum a right tackle and probably at least one guard to go with him. without a beekman or oakly stepping in, i can't see us filling even one of these spots in FA with a quality player we need to keep mcnabb healthy and afford to pay mcnabb.

plus, you stated we could possibly get mcnabb for $7 mill a year. that doesn't sound too realistic to me considering a safety just signed a contract for MORE than that. my guess is we will have to pay close to $9-10 mill for a quality qb at least for the short term along with some serious guaranteed money in the future. this still leaves us without a single #1 receiver in the fold.

you think mcnabb wouldn't look at our line and lack of receivers and think "i'd have to be nuts to go there"? even if we draft high and get the linemen we need add that cost to our cap PLUS mcnabb would take a beating for at least a year till they fit in (look at the favre situation 2 years ago).

my guess if you get the guard you want in FA, faneca, it will cost close to the amount you want to pay mcnabb. i don't see us being able to pay these amounts and add that to the cost you want to pay a good safety in free agency and tagging barrien as a franchise player at probably around $7-9 mill a year by himself. if we cut half our team we couldn't stay under the cap with that many FA additions.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McNabb is under contract for three more years w/ Phily. When I talked about $7 for McNabb, it was due to his current contract, which he would still be under if traded. His base salary for next year is only $6.3m. I mentioned $7m because I do not know if he has roster bonus or other bonuses tied in. But the point is, we get him at his current contract, so I am not sure why you think we would have to pay him $10m or whatever to get him. What a safety got in FA does not matter. McNabb is under contract, and that contract follows him to any team that trades for him.

I also still do not understand why you think we can not afford McNabb, while also upgrading elsewhere. The simple fact or it is, we can afford it. We can afford to sign Faneca (while drafting OL) to protect McNabb. Hell, if we want Berrian, we can afford him too.

I simply do not understand why you think we can't afford McNabb. If the cost via trade rises above a 2nd round pick, I would better understand your argument, but I seriously doubt it would.

As for how long McNabb can still play, I would say he has plenty of years left in the tank. 30 shows a big drop for some positions, especially RB, but not so much for others. Look at the top 10 QBs from this year. Romo and Rothlisberger are young, but other than them:

Brady - 30

Manning - 31

Favre - 38

Hasselback - 32

Brees - 29 (about to turn 30)

Garcia - 37

Gerrard - 29 (also about to turn 30)

McNabb - 31

I simply do not understand why you think we can't afford McNabb. If the cost via trade rises above a 2nd round pick, I would better understand your argument, but I seriously doubt it would.

As for how long McNabb can still play, I would say he has plenty of years left in the tank. 30 shows a big drop for some positions, especially RB, but not so much for others. Look at the top 10 QBs from this year. Romo and Rothlisberger are young, but other than them:

if angie can figure a way out to bring in the talent you *suggest he can under the cap without future cap hell i'm all for it. the reason i mentioned $9-10 mill on his contract is that is what mcnabb is supposed to get in 2009 and 2010. according to the post *below (i didn't confirm any of this so take it for what it's worth) after 3 years he can op out and leave. do we really want to deal with that in 3 years or renegotiate for 5 or more now? if we renegotiate it will probably come out to the figures i posted before as a cap hit with guarantees.

as far as career length i wouldn't bet on more than age 36 as a point in which talent seriously declines in qb's. i know.. favre is 38 but i believe he is not a carbon base unit.

*OG faneca; QB mcnabb; unknown vet safety or high draft pick; franchised #1 reciever; mystery right tackle either through FA or #14 pick in the draft who will want some pretty good coin; backup vet LB and this hoping that williams is even CLOSE to replacing briggs.

**"The contract is, on face, for 12 years. McNabb will void the final three years of the deal (2011-2013), though, by achieving predetermined performance and playing time benchmarks. That reduces what was advertised as a 12-year, $115 contract to nine seasons and $70.551 million.

But cap cost is also an important component of any contract, and the cap value of McNabb's deal does not exceed $10 million until the final year of the contract.

Here are the annual cap values of the contract, according to NFL Players Association documents: $5.754 million (2002), $7.871 million (2003), $8.948 million (2004), $8.949 million (2005), $8.834 million (2006), $8.835 million (2007), $9.635 million (2008), $9.206 million (2009), and $10.006 million (2010).

In addition to the initial $13.5 signing bonus, McNabb will receive an option bonus of $7 million in March 2004.

The base salaries are $1.5 million for 2002; $4 million each for 2003-2005; $5.5 million for 2006-2007; $6.3 million for 2008; $9.2 million in 2009; and $10 million in 2010. There is a $999 workout bonus for this season and then offseason conditioning bonuses of $5,600 (2003-2004), $6,160 (2005-2006), and $6,720 (2007-2010).

As reported last week, there are the three "dummy" seasons as the back end of the contract, and those are the "voidable" seasons. Technically, the base salaries in those years are $12.07 million (2011), $14.14 million (2012), and $16.21 million (2013)."

http://www.dbstalk.com/archive/index.php/t-8122.html

Geat post nfo!

Well thought out as usual!

I'm pretty much in agreement with your assessment.

I have just a few areas of slightly differing opinion.

RB - I think we can keep Wolfe...he needs to shift to WR as BearSox has brought up before. He could be like Gentry was. I think we need to draft a RB and give Benson competition since we're stuck with the bum at least nother season.

FB - Kudos! We do need a good one! And I think we could find one in the draft.

LB - Agreed! I think adding a guy like Jordan Beck in FA would be a good move to help the youth. ALthough I would also like to draft an LB high if a guy like Laurinaitis falls.

S - I genarlly like your thoughts on MacGowan and Payen and Manning. We do need a vet as you mention. I'd be more than OK with Hamlin or similar. I think we keep Mike Borwn. Odd are he'll resrtucture. We just need to name him our starter, and then proceed to sit him immidately after. Putting him in for only a few plays a game until the playoffs or the road to the playoffs.

Apparently I'm on crack regarding the draft. I don't want an OT unless we can get Long, which won't happen.

Rd 1: RB/LB (Mendenhall/Laurinaitis,Connor)

Rd 2: QB/OL (Brennan)

Rd 3: OL/QB

Later rounds: WR/FB/S/OL

QB - The one thing about Orton I have seen that I love is pocket presence. He simply seems to have a better feel for the pocket. When a defender is closing in on him, he moves to avoid the rush w/o taking his eyes off the field. That is a huge plus. W/ that said, his accuracy leaves much to be desired and while he has arm strength, I do not like how much of a windup he has. Reminds me of Leftwich. I like him for depth, but no more than that. This is still a huge need. I think Rex is gone. Still not sure if this will be McNabb, a rookie or what, but this is a position that must be addressed.

McNabb is still my top choice, if he does in fact become tradable. I do not think his market value would be extreme. Frankly, a 3rd this year and maybe a future could might get it done. Phily may not want to trade him, but there is so much talk of their looking to do so, and there has been so much talk from McNabb, that I think it is very possible.

RB - Not sure what we do here. Regardless what some think or want, Benson will not be cut. Especially since he lost out on most of his incentives, I believe he is now a relatively inexpensive player. I like AP, but he is not a starter, and frankly, I think is a #3 RB. Wolfe did some nice things, but I think we need an upgrade to our RB corp. I do not see Benson leaving, nor AP. So that means we either have to let Wolfe go, or we do not upgrade. While not popular, I think I would like to bring in a better #2 RB and let Wolfe go. This would also move AP back to where I think he should be, and allow him to focus on special teams, where he is great.

FB - Big area of need for me, and one that should not expensive, whether in FA or the draft, as FBs are 2nd day picks. I simply do not like McKie. When we made the move to him, it was due to his ability to catch the ball. He was never a great blocker. Frankly, I have not been impressed w/ his receiving, particularly what he does after the catch. What I really want is a lead blocker. I want a FB that paves the way for our RBs and is better picking up the blitz.

WR - I would love to see massive changes, but I wonder how much we can really do. The FA crop is weak, as is the draft. While originally against it, I now wonder if we aren't better of simply tagging Berrian. Take another year to see if he can take that next step. If not, bye bye. If he can, re-sign him. It will hurt to eat up a bunch of cap, but it is better than over-paying for him on a long term deal we may regret before long. If we keep Berrian, we can then cut Moose. Doing this saves money, which can help off-set the cost of tagging Berrian. I would then look to FA for a mid tier guy. Bryant Johnson is a WR I would love to add. I think he could be solid, but has been burried behind a pair of pro bowl WRs in Boldin and Fitz. I would also draft a WR, but not until day two. Berrian and Johnson would be the starters, w/ Hester as our slot WR, unless he continues to develop and moves up the depth chart.

TE - Nothing to do, expect I would make this a greater aspect of the offense. Whatever we do at WR will not be huge, and we can off-set an average group of WRs by better utilizing our two solid TEs.

OT - This is our first pick in the draft. Jake Long would be ideal, but w/ the two wins we finished the season w/, we have no shot at him. Clady, Baker and Oher (in that order) would be solid additions. Ideally, we draft Clady and play him at LT immediatly, moving Tait back to RT, thus upgrading two positions.

OG - I want Faneca. Yes, I know he isn't young, but he is not on the downhill slide either, like Miller and Brown. It will be expensive, very expensive, to sign him, but I think he would be worth it. Adding him would see multiple secondary benefits. One, if we pair him w/ a rookie LT, it should make life for that LT much easier, and help w/ the young man's development. Two, putting him on our OL could help Kreutz regain his pro bowl form. IMHO, part of why Kreutz has been playing at a lower level is due to having to do too much, or trying to do too much. On the other side, while I am not the biggest fan of Garza, we allow him to compete w/ Metcalf, Beekman (who I hope can get strong w/ an offseason strengthening program) and a rookie (3rd or 4th round)

DL - I would look at a DT in the 2nd day of the draft, and maybe even as high as the 3rd round w/ one of our two picks, if one falls that we love. Harris has been injury prone, and there is no guarantee we keep him after this year. I love Dusty, but he has not proven himself and also has been injury prone. The rest are nice depth, but not what I want starting necessarily.

DE - I would not do a thing as far as additions. I do make Brown our starter again, though Anderson would still get pleny of reps in rotation. Bazuin is coming off a red shirt year, and may provide further depth.

LB - I allow Briggs to walk. Yes, I saw the hits he put on players last night, and I know how good he is. At the same time, I simply believe we have too many needs to afford Briggs at the price he wants. I would add a veteran in FA, 2nd/3rd tier, so we have a veteran in the mix, and not just unproven Williams and Okwo. Also, I keep Ayenbadejo. He is not going to be cheap (for a backup LB/ special teams player) but I don't care. I read he could want $2m. I give it to him. Until our offense and defense are truly fixed, we can not afford to drop on special teams, and he is a stud special teams player.

CB - RMJ is gone. I actually like him, but it appears he has lost his job to McBride, and is too expensive to be 4th on our depth chart. W/ Tillman, Vasher and McBride, I think we have a solid trio. I look to the 2nd day of the draft, and lower tiers of FAs for added depth, but I do not make CB a huge need area.

SS - McGowan has been impressive IMHO. Payne could also be in the mix. What we do here depends on what we do at FS. I think we need to add a veteran at one spot, and draft for the others. If we add a veteran FS, then we can draft a SS in the 2nd round to compete w/ McGowan. If we draft a FS, then I think we may need to add a SS (G.Wilson?).

FS - I want Ken Hamlin. I wanted him last year, and Dallas signed him cheap. He has played very well, though he still should not be that expensive. D.Manning has been awful. While I believe part of it is coaching, the reality is, we need to upgrade. W/ weaker S play, we usually see Urlacher have to drop deeper, taking him away from his playmaker role. So I would like to add Hamlin in FA, and draft a SS in round two to compete w/ McGowan. This should upgrade our starting unit, as well as depth.

Mike Brown? I do nothing until I have upgrades in place. I am looking to upgrade our safety position, and if we can do that, I cut Mike Brown. I love the guy, and think the world of him, but I do not feel we can rely on him any longer. I also do not feel he is a backup. If we do not add both a FS and a SS (draft and FA), then we may have to keep Brown. I do not cut him w/o first upgrading, but as soon as we do, I let Brown walk. I truly hate to do it, but do not see how we can afford to continue relying on him.

So Faneca would be my expensive FA. Hamlin would by my some-what expensive FA. After that, I would be adding numerous mid-level FAs.

As for the draft,

Rd 1 - OT (Clady is my top choice, w/ Baker 2nd)

Rd2 and 3 - S/OG/WR.

Day two - WR/QB/CB/FB.

Well, it appears we now has some cap numbers to work w/. It looks like we have around $22m to work with. In addition, I expect us to cut a couple veterans who could bring in added cap space. Miller, Moose and RMJ would be the top three candidates, which could add around $5m or so.

Anyway, the point is, we have some money to work w/.

I know McNabb's price tag goes up after this year, but I doubt we would touch his contract immediately. We would take a year to make sure he was in fact back to pro bowl form. So while it is possible he could later be more expensive, this year his cost would only be $6.3m. That still leaves plenty of space to do things like adding Faneca and even tagging Berrian, which I think is a very real possibility. We would then still have room to do more. So I guess my main point is, we have the space to add McNabb, w/ plenty of room to do what is necessary to build around him.

For me, w/ regard to McNabb, more than money, it comes down to compensation. I want to know what we would have to give up to get him. I really do not know what it would be. No way I give up a 1st. I cring at a 2nd, but would still likely do that. Frankly, I am not sure if it would cost us our 2nd this year. I just do not know (a) what sort of market will be there for him and (B) how much Phily wants to trade him, if at all.

Well, it appears we now has some cap numbers to work w/. It looks like we have around $22m to work with. In addition, I expect us to cut a couple veterans who could bring in added cap space. Miller, Moose and RMJ would be the top three candidates, which could add around $5m or so.

Anyway, the point is, we have some money to work w/.

I know McNabb's price tag goes up after this year, but I doubt we would touch his contract immediately. We would take a year to make sure he was in fact back to pro bowl form. So while it is possible he could later be more expensive, this year his cost would only be $6.3m. That still leaves plenty of space to do things like adding Faneca and even tagging Berrian, which I think is a very real possibility. We would then still have room to do more. So I guess my main point is, we have the space to add McNabb, w/ plenty of room to do what is necessary to build around him.

For me, w/ regard to McNabb, more than money, it comes down to compensation. I want to know what we would have to give up to get him. I really do not know what it would be. No way I give up a 1st. I cring at a 2nd, but would still likely do that. Frankly, I am not sure if it would cost us our 2nd this year. I just do not know (a) what sort of market will be there for him and (B) how much Phily wants to trade him, if at all.

I think he stays in Philly. Feeley is not a starter and Kolb didn't get any playing time at all. If they were looking at moving McNabb, they would have given Kolb some time at the end of the yr.

Peace :bears

Apparently I'm on crack regarding the draft. I don't want an OT unless we can get Long, which won't happen.

Rd 1: RB/LB (Mendenhall/Laurinaitis,Connor)

Rd 2: QB/OL (Brennan)

Rd 3: OL/QB

Later rounds: WR/FB/S/OL

#14 is too high for Mendenhall, and it wastes a pick on an area that is not the greatest need for the team. I would have to say OL or S with the first pick at #14. If there is no value there, you trade down and add some picks. Now if you can move down into the late 20's and still pick him up, while gaining a 2nd rounder, then that would be a pretty good deal. Mendenhall + a late 2nd round OL pick for #14.

I hope we don't take Brennan in the 2nd. There seem to be a lot more QBs out there that are better than him who didn't play in a pass-crazy system. I keep seeing Flacco's name thrown out there. He seems to be better suited for the NFL.

Unfortunately, I think this is one of those wait and see years based on what JA gets thru FA. I hope he makes his moves fast and furious. Hey, even if he overpays a bit, I'm ok with that. Getting what we need in FA is most important right now. He can make up for overpaying by drafting well, which I think he'll do.

But cap cost is also an important component of any contract, and the cap value of McNabb's deal does not exceed $10 million until the final year of the contract.

Here are the annual cap values of the contract, according to NFL Players Association documents: $5.754 million (2002), $7.871 million (2003), $8.948 million (2004), $8.949 million (2005), $8.834 million (2006), $8.835 million (2007), $9.635 million (2008), $9.206 million (2009), and $10.006 million (2010).

Where did that bit come from? It wasn't in the link.

#14 is too high for Mendenhall, and it wastes a pick on an area that is not the greatest need for the team. I would have to say OL or S with the first pick at #14. If there is no value there, you trade down and add some picks. Now if you can move down into the late 20's and still pick him up, while gaining a 2nd rounder, then that would be a pretty good deal. Mendenhall + a late 2nd round OL pick for #14.

I hope we don't take Brennan in the 2nd. There seem to be a lot more QBs out there that are better than him who didn't play in a pass-crazy system. I keep seeing Flacco's name thrown out there. He seems to be better suited for the NFL.

People may think im Crazy but i think we should trade down with Dallas. Our number 1 and 3 and next years 3rd or 2nd for their 2 1st round picks then do as follow:

1a RB Jonathan Stewart/Mendenhall

1b OT Chris Williams

2 QB Flacco I think Brennan is ..... well not good :huh:

3 G Eric Young / S Craig Steltz

This draft would fill so many holes with just first day picks.

Heck, that works for me for the most part. Although I'd rather the #3 go to a LB.

I'm not fully sold on Brennan, but I think he as with a few others are worth the gamble. I honestly know nothing about Flacco... Ainge is the other guy I wouldn't mind seeing.

People may think im Crazy but i think we should trade down with Dallas. Our number 1 and 3 and next years 3rd or 2nd for their 2 1st round picks then do as follow:

1a RB Jonathan Stewart/Mendenhall

1b OT Chris Williams

2 QB Flacco I think Brennan is ..... well not good :huh:

3 G Eric Young / S Craig Steltz

This draft would fill so many holes with just first day picks.

Heck, that works for me for the most part. Although I'd rather the #3 go to a LB.

I'm not fully sold on Brennan, but I think he as with a few others are worth the gamble. I honestly know nothing about Flacco... Ainge is the other guy I wouldn't mind seeing.

The Bears have spent 2 picks the last couple years on LB's. Okwo and Williams. Counting Urlacher and HH, that's 4 guys right there for 3 spots. Assuming Briggs walks, that still leaves, as far as I can tell, virtually no reason to spend another draft pick on a LB.

The 3 areas I'd firmly say the Bears should stay away from this draft are LB, CB, and D-Line. I mean, ok, if there's a guy you like in the 6th round, fine, but nothing high.

And I for one wouldn't mind trading down at all. The Bears tend to be pretty good at picking in the late first/second rounds as far as I'm concerned, and I think that the standard draft pick value chart seriously over-charges people for high picks.

I follow, but still think we need another LB. Briggs will probably walk as you mention, and there's a good chance Ayanbedejo may walk as well. Tack in that Urlacher does have a back issue and that Hillenmeyer looked much slower this year. I think it warrants a pick. I like who we've drafted at LB. I think a good one can be had in the 3rd or 4th.

I agree that we don't need another CB, and think we're good at the D Line, but I wouldn't pass up a great DE if available. Ogun's not getting any younger and Brown could end up being problematic. I think we don't need a TE with Olsen in...and probably don't need a K or P either. Not that those count much! (No disrespect Robbie!) Other than that, I think the field is wide iopen for improvement.

I'd love to trade down. I like value picks! I'm personally glad we're at least at 14 at worst. The top pay way too much for unknowns...

The Bears have spent 2 picks the last couple years on LB's. Okwo and Williams. Counting Urlacher and HH, that's 4 guys right there for 3 spots. Assuming Briggs walks, that still leaves, as far as I can tell, virtually no reason to spend another draft pick on a LB.

The 3 areas I'd firmly say the Bears should stay away from this draft are LB, CB, and D-Line. I mean, ok, if there's a guy you like in the 6th round, fine, but nothing high.

And I for one wouldn't mind trading down at all. The Bears tend to be pretty good at picking in the late first/second rounds as far as I'm concerned, and I think that the standard draft pick value chart seriously over-charges people for high picks.

Erik Ainge intrigues the heck out of me. I don't think he goes in the first two rounds, in fact he may even slide past the 3rd but I would have no problem if the Bears nabbed him with there 2nd 3rd round pick (which I think comes from the Chargers). He seems to have decent tools and has looked pretty darn solid in the game I saw when he was at Tennessee.

If the Bears take a QB in the 3rd round or later I would like one of: Brennan (if he slides), Falco (I doubt he slides), Henne, Dixon (his injury will send him down and I would not be opposed to taking a chance on him late in the draft), Ainge, and Booty.

No arguement there!

Erik Ainge intrigues the heck out of me. I don't think he goes in the first two rounds, in fact he may even slide past the 3rd but I would have no problem if the Bears nabbed him with there 2nd 3rd round pick (which I think comes from the Chargers). He seems to have decent tools and has looked pretty darn solid in the game I saw when he was at Tennessee.

If the Bears take a QB in the 3rd round or later I would like one of: Brennan (if he slides), Falco (I doubt he slides), Henne, Dixon (his injury will send him down and I would not be opposed to taking a chance on him late in the draft), Ainge, and Booty.

I didn't realize Falco was available in the draft. I thought he died in the 90's!!!!! ;)

Peace :bears

When is Brohm projected to go? Ive been high on him since last year and I think hes got a good chance at being the best qb to come out this year.

Top 20. There are many that feel he is the #1 QB off the boards and for a long time everyone and there brother was projecting him to Atlanta (but that was when Petrino was the coach). Dolphins will be another name tied to ever top QB on the draft boards but I don't think it will be what Parcells does.

Top 20. There are many that feel he is the #1 QB off the boards and for a long time everyone and there brother was projecting him to Atlanta (but that was when Petrino was the coach). Dolphins will be another name tied to ever top QB on the draft boards but I don't think it will be what Parcells does.

Im curious to see if Miami address's qb next year. Between Beck and Lemon and I suppose the possibility of Green, they have so many other holes to fill that I doubt they would address qb with the first pick.

Where did that bit come from? It wasn't in the link.

LT2_3 - you are correct. i am not sure what happened with that link. it must have been a different site that i copied and pasted that information. it was late and i must have done something wrong. i also didn't take the time to confirm the facts in it and that is why i stated it was not confirmed. the information that i was looking at was the base salary info for 2009 and 2010.

i went back and tried to find the forum posting with the original info and couldn't find it but i did find some information that pretty much confirms the 2009 and 2010 cap hits on the pro football weekly site. here is the link to that site (i hope hehehe): http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Featu...7/fanfceast.htm

"NFC East free-agent reports - Nov. 13, 2007

Analysis: The biggest decision is whether the team will keep QB Donovan McNabb, who has cap hits of $9.6 million and $9.2 million the next two years, respectively. It has been a rough season for QB and head coach Andy Reid, the principle decision maker along with GM Tom Heckert. Some believe that 2007 second-rounder Kevin Kolb is being prepped to be the starting QB as soon as next year, even though Reid recently gave McNabb a show of confidence by keeping him as the starter."

hope this helps