The dream offseason

jason

Within the realm of reality, what is your dream offseason?

I think I'd like to see the following:

FA

Faneca, Starks, Flozelle, or Gross

Draft

RD1: OL (depending on FA targets/probabilities)

RD2: OL (depending on FA targets/probabilities)

RD3: QB (Brennan, Dixon, or Flacco (in that order))

RD4: S (Targeted BPA)

Team

Turner = FIRED

Mike Brown, Tommie Harris, Dusty Dvoracek, Dan Bazuin = Healthy

MuhMuh = Demoted

Olsen = Promoted

QB Position = Open TC Battle

I'll give it a shot:

FA

Agreed and resign Berrian, Brendan, and Rex (Rex gets max 2 yr deal)

Draft

In rounds 1 to 3 come out with OT, QB, S, and RB (OT in round 1; others can be mixed - QB I want is Flacco)

In rounds 4-to 7 go with best players available (one must be a wr)

Team

QB scout hired (his only job is to scout QB talent going forward)

Griese, Arch, Walker, Moose, and Manning Jr gone

Renotiate Mike Brown's contract (give him 1 million up from to spread his cap over 3 yrs - make it a roster bonus so we can cut him this yr if he is injured again)

More 2 TE sets

Hass gets actual playing time next yr

Peace :bears

Fire Turner

Get McNabb w/o giving away more then 2 picks.

Resign Briggs and Berrian w/o any problems

Resign Ayanbedejo

Sign Faneca

Get Mike Brown a workout machine that guarantees no torn ligaments or broken bones for 5 years :drink

1st pick in the draft: OL

2nd pick: S

3rd pick: RB/QB

4th pick: QB/RB

5th pick: WR

6th pick: OL

7th pick: best available player

- Sign 2 impact Free Agents, preferably at least one OL (Faneca, Gross, Starks).

- Bring in new QB and RB for competition (FA, trade, or draft)

- Re-sign and restructure deal for Brown (w/ incentives)

- Trade for McNabb (give up a couple of picks 2nds and 3rds), then trade down from #14 to acquire extra picks; give PHI a 2nd rounder from trade, and 3rd rounder from SD (sneak Arch into deal)

- Re-sign Ayanbedejo

- Cut Miller, Walker, and RMJ. Use that $11.5 million to sign Briggs to long term deal, and rest to extend Hester and Harris now.

- Tag Berrian with transition or franchise tag.

- Make some moves in the draft, either up to get some impact or down to acquire more picks. I hate standing pat.

- Draft at least 2 OL, 1 QB, 1 S, 1 RB

Starting with the offense:

1) Start FA by re-signing Rex, Berrian, and R.Brown. Cut Miller and Metcalf.

2) Re-negotioate Moose or cut him.

3) Trade or cut Griese.

4) Target a good OG via FA. Also take a long look at St. Clair's grades at guard before overspending.

5) Absolutely draft an OT early. The draft is deep and we can get good value. Maybe even with the 1st 2 picks.

6) Draft QB in round 2/3. I like Flacco and Henne.

7) Draft RB in 3/4. BPA in round 5 on.

On defense:

1) Cut Walker, Archuletta and RMJ. Possibly trade Idonije if Bazuin can play.

2) Sign Briggs if we can.

3) Restructure M. Brown and pray he stays healthy. He is still a key. (Have Payne bunk with him at camp.)

4) Sign a good vet FA S. If possible. One that knows how to hit

5) Start A. Brown and sub in Anderson.

6) Give the Samoan a chance next year. We need a run stuffer.

7) Get healthy a Tommie and Dusty back. They looked nasty together. The 45 minutes it lasted.

On ST:

1) Prepare to lose Brendan. Special teamers can not hold you hostage on contracts. He's damn good, but we have holes to fill.

2) Design plays for Hester on squib kicks.

3) See if Beekman or Garza can long snap. Mannelly is the best in the biz, but a luxury. The roster spot may be needed with the newcomers on the OL.

That's enough for now.

Fire Turner

Get McNabb w/o giving away more then 2 picks.

Resign Briggs and Berrian w/o any problems

Resign Ayanbedejo

Sign Faneca

Get Mike Brown a workout machine that guarantees no torn ligaments or broken bones for 5 years :drink

1st pick in the draft: OL

2nd pick: S

3rd pick: RB/QB

4th pick: QB/RB

5th pick: WR

6th pick: OL

7th pick: best available player

Maybe this should be phrased differently. What is the dream offseason for the SALARY CAP era

Maybe this should be phrased differently. What is the dream offseason for the SALARY CAP era

Then don't sign Ayanbedejo, don't sign Briggs (we have Jamar and Okwo), don't sign Berrian too a LONG term, just about 2 years $12 million, and sign Starks instead of Faneca who is probably cheaper. Better?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give it a shot

Resign Ayanbadejo if it's reasonable, but don't go crazy.

Free Agents:

S Erik Coleman - Was hurt a bit this year, but had 100 tackles each year his first three years and his injuries were pretty freak (appendectomy, for example)

RB Musa Smith - Seems to do everything pretty well and is young enough to develop a little bit. I think he could start, if given a chance.

OG Ryan Lilja - Not at Alan Fanaca's level, but young and has been dependable enough to protect Peyton and pave the way for Addai.

WR Ernest Wilford - I've always kind of liked him, and I'd love to add some height to the WR corps.

Draft:

1) Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State - Though I would be open to trading down and taking Baker

2) Adarius Bowman, WR, Oklahoma State - A taller Anquan Boldin

3) Josh Barrett, S, Arizona State - Time to completely retool the safety spot

3) Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware - Let him, Griese, and Orton fight it out, which seems like the most logical and cost-effective way to handle QB next season.

4) Best guard on the board

Jason, is that you? Seriously, if you are some pod Jason-wanna-be alien, get the hell out of here and let Jason back in.

An off-season plan by Jason that does not involve

(a) Signing Michael Turner, or any other deemed RB upgrade.

(B) In lieu of signing a FA RB, drafting one in the 1st round

© Call for demotion of one or more players, as well as an open competition at QB, and yet no call to demote (much less release) Benson, nor even for an open competition.

Seriously, what have you done w/ Jason?

First, I'll give my plan. Then, I'll explain what is good and bad about everyone else's plan:)

Release: Miller, Arch, Walker. I do not release Mike Brown, at least not until I have a replacement on the roster. I do not release Moose, as we are already thin at WR and do not increase our cap by releasing him. I also do not cut Metcalf, as he have to eat cap to do so, though he could still lose his roster spot in camp.

Re-sign: Ayenbendejo. He will not be cheap, but is too great of a leader on special teams, and until I "see" our offense improve, our special teams is too important. I do not re-sign Briggs. I would love to keep him, but not for what it will take to do so (especially when we have too many needs) and we need to give our two drafted LBs a chance to step up.

I tag Berrian - This hurts, but I do not want us to get locked into a long term deal. He is seeking a deal more common to top end production, as opposed to the potential his contract should be based on. I tag him for a year and (a) give other young WRs have have or may add, a year to develop and (B) hope next year is not as weak in FA and the draft.

At the all important QB position, I do one of two things. If I can add McNabb for a 2nd round pick, or a couple picks (this year and next) that would be about the same in value, I do it. If not, I would be looking at the draft (not round one) for a QB. I do not see Rex returning for a one year deal. So I would allow Griese and Orton to compete next year while developing the rookie. I do not see either Griese, nor Orton, as long term solutions, but if we improve the offense surrounding the QB enough, I think either can do plenty to win.

FAs I would look to add:

Faneca - Not young, but not as old as Miller either. Unlike Brown, he has not even shown signs of slowing down, and has plenty left in him. Not only does he bring talent, but he brings leadership I think our team lacks.

Bryant Johnson - This signing depends on price. If his price tags starts to soar due to a weak FA class, then I look at other "lesser" players. But BJ has never produced at a high level, and his cost may not get too high. At the same time, I think he could be a very good #2, may be as good as any rookie in the draft, and would bring a far greater instant impact.

Chris Brown - I would like Fargas, but unless Oakland is looking at McFadden, I think they will look hard to lock up Fargas. Assuming no Fargas, I would add Brown. I think he would be solid competition for Benson, while being an upgrade (at minimum) to AP as a #2 RB.

Ken Hamlin - He would not be "cheap", but I do not believe he would be "expensive" either.

Faneca is my big ticket signing, w/ Hamlin and BJ being mid-sized ones. Chris Brown should be cheap.

Draft - To me, there is no question it should be OT. There are 4 OTs in the draft I think most would not be upset w/, as they are solid both talent and value. I believe all four (though Long will be long gone) can play LT, which allows us to move Tait to RT. By doing this, and adding Faneca, we upgrade 3 positions on the OL and turn a weakness into a strength.

After the 1st round, I would simply say S and OL are our top needs, w/ WR a close second.

W/ regard to the coaching staff, there are many changes I would make, but none are going to happen, so I don't see the point in going down that road.

Good plan nfo! I'd sign off on it!

First, I'll give my plan. Then, I'll explain what is good and bad about everyone else's plan:)

Release: Miller, Arch, Walker. I do not release Mike Brown, at least not until I have a replacement on the roster. I do not release Moose, as we are already thin at WR and do not increase our cap by releasing him. I also do not cut Metcalf, as he have to eat cap to do so, though he could still lose his roster spot in camp.

Re-sign: Ayenbendejo. He will not be cheap, but is too great of a leader on special teams, and until I "see" our offense improve, our special teams is too important. I do not re-sign Briggs. I would love to keep him, but not for what it will take to do so (especially when we have too many needs) and we need to give our two drafted LBs a chance to step up.

I tag Berrian - This hurts, but I do not want us to get locked into a long term deal. He is seeking a deal more common to top end production, as opposed to the potential his contract should be based on. I tag him for a year and (a) give other young WRs have have or may add, a year to develop and (B) hope next year is not as weak in FA and the draft.

At the all important QB position, I do one of two things. If I can add McNabb for a 2nd round pick, or a couple picks (this year and next) that would be about the same in value, I do it. If not, I would be looking at the draft (not round one) for a QB. I do not see Rex returning for a one year deal. So I would allow Griese and Orton to compete next year while developing the rookie. I do not see either Griese, nor Orton, as long term solutions, but if we improve the offense surrounding the QB enough, I think either can do plenty to win.

FAs I would look to add:

Faneca - Not young, but not as old as Miller either. Unlike Brown, he has not even shown signs of slowing down, and has plenty left in him. Not only does he bring talent, but he brings leadership I think our team lacks.

Bryant Johnson - This signing depends on price. If his price tags starts to soar due to a weak FA class, then I look at other "lesser" players. But BJ has never produced at a high level, and his cost may not get too high. At the same time, I think he could be a very good #2, may be as good as any rookie in the draft, and would bring a far greater instant impact.

Chris Brown - I would like Fargas, but unless Oakland is looking at McFadden, I think they will look hard to lock up Fargas. Assuming no Fargas, I would add Brown. I think he would be solid competition for Benson, while being an upgrade (at minimum) to AP as a #2 RB.

Ken Hamlin - He would not be "cheap", but I do not believe he would be "expensive" either.

Faneca is my big ticket signing, w/ Hamlin and BJ being mid-sized ones. Chris Brown should be cheap.

Draft - To me, there is no question it should be OT. There are 4 OTs in the draft I think most would not be upset w/, as they are solid both talent and value. I believe all four (though Long will be long gone) can play LT, which allows us to move Tait to RT. By doing this, and adding Faneca, we upgrade 3 positions on the OL and turn a weakness into a strength.

After the 1st round, I would simply say S and OL are our top needs, w/ WR a close second.

W/ regard to the coaching staff, there are many changes I would make, but none are going to happen, so I don't see the point in going down that road.

Cut arch, adams, moose, and griese. Let grossman, aybendajo, and I hate to say it briggs walk. Promote Orton to 2nd on depth chart. Promote bradley to moose's position. Cut the blitzing down a bit, seems like we were getting burned to damn much, and we're better when the lb's can fill running lanes and are not out of position.

Resign berrian, with mcnabb under center he may be persuaded more easily.

Trade 2nd and A.Brown to philly for Mcnabb

Sign starks and m. turner

Draft Ol with first rd pick

Draft S with third rd pick

Draft WR with third rd pick

UNGLUE PAGES 2-ECT... of R. turner's playbook

Jason, is that you? Seriously, if you are some pod Jason-wanna-be alien, get the hell out of here and let Jason back in.

An off-season plan by Jason that does not involve

(a) Signing Michael Turner, or any other deemed RB upgrade.

(B) In lieu of signing a FA RB, drafting one in the 1st round

© Call for demotion of one or more players, as well as an open competition at QB, and yet no call to demote (much less release) Benson, nor even for an open competition.

Seriously, what have you done w/ Jason?

Yep, still me.

a) While you and I both realize that I nearly despise Benson, I want the Bears to be great...and I honestly feel they are not that far from being great. I don't think there are NEARLY as many holes as most think (I actually only see major holes at OL and QB right now). It's just that the OL & RB combo did crap this year. Since Benson is under contract still, and has shown glimpses in the past, it's best to overhaul the OL. That way, not only does the running game improve, the passing game improves in two ways (the affect of a positive running game & more time for a QB to throw).

B) I NEVER wanted to draft a RB in the first. I absolutely hated when the Bears drafted Benson, and told everyone on the board it was a horrible move. I was right. Michael Turner would be nice, but I'm not keen on giving big money to someone who hasn't proven his abilities over a longer period of time, and while starting. Besides, with a good OL, even average RBs in the NFL look good (see Jamal Lewis in Cleveland). And a great OL makes can make average to good RBs look incredible (see Emmitt Smith and his semi truck holes to run through). And I don't think I've ever called for the outright release of Benson, despite how much I dislike his blase attitude, apparently poor work ethic, and lack of production.

As a final thought, I'd lile to mention that I would love to see Wolfe get the ball more. He has something that can't be taught: shiftiness. Assuming he can deal with another 5-10 hits per game, there is a good chance he'll produce plays like Darren Sproles did for the Chargers the other day. Just give him the ball, give him room, and watch what he can do. Just, for goodness sakes, don't run him up the pipe like he's damn Earl Campbell.

While we disagree on Benson, we do agree in general.

While I am not sure how "close" we are, OL and QB are our greatest issues on offense. We do not know what Benson is, but if we put together a good/great OL and he still doesn't produce, then I know we will know. Frankly, a good/great OL should at least make Benson "good". If he is closer to what i think, then it should make him far closer to great. But the point is, improving our OL will improve our run game, as well as passing game. A lot easier for a QB to throw when he isn't always on is back.

I also do not want a 1st round RB. I do not mind drafting RB, or in the 1st round, but I see no point drafting a RB when we do not have an OL, or a QB. As for this year, I would not mind a RB after the 1st if someone we really liked fell, but it would have to be someone we REALLY liked.

I agree we play Wolfe more. He is a solid change of pace RB. I also agree we do not run him inside. I said as much after his first carry. Pitch outs, sweeps, swing passes, RB screens, etc. Utilize those attributes he was drafted for. I would really like to see the kid develop as a blocker. No clue if this is an issue or not, but he might be an excellent option out of the shotgun.

At the same time, we need to find a better chemistry in rotating out RBs. I think even you would agree Turner did Benson no favors by benching him seemingly every time he got going.

Question? What about AP? You say you want to "ride" benson and give him a chance. You also want to give Wolfe 5-10 carries a game. That doesn't leave much for AP?