Why is Berrian getting so much love?

shadevtx

I understand that he is our only WR, but is he worth a huge chunk of money? How many times did he drop a pass or give up on a route or make the wrong hot read on a blitz?

I say bon voyage...we sign Bryant Johnson, put a ton of OTA work into developing Hester and Bradley, and move Wolfe into the slot.

If we use more 2 TE sets, we can split Olsen out. I like his chances against any CB in the league, esp. in goal line jump balls.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Berrian knows the system, and is our only good WR at this moment. Plus, he has shown big play making ability, and does have a lot of chemistry with Rex, who will likely be brought back to compete for the job. I think the smartest thing we could do is franchise tag him. He will get a big contract in free agency and I really don't want to commit to him long term. I would be content with overpaying him for 1 year rather then 5-6 years. If he comes out next year and proves once again he is our no.1, then sign him long term. There is no need to rush to sign him.

bullshit he's too small to play WR. You don't need to be 6 foot to play wide receiver. You just need to be able to get open and catch the ball. Obviously you won't do jump balls but he can be very effective out of the slot as he is quick and shifty and would be able to get separation. He is much too small to play RB compared to WR as well.

bullshit he's too small to play WR. You don't need to be 6 foot to play wide receiver. You just need to be able to get open and catch the ball. Obviously you won't do jump balls but he can be very effective out of the slot as he is quick and shifty and would be able to get separation. He is much too small to play RB compared to WR as well.

That's fine if the QB is able to find the shrimp and get the ball to him. Short quarterback + extremely short Wolfe = problems doing that, especially when our O line hasn't been opening passing lanes.

Name me one WR that is the same height as Wolfe (5'7", said to be closer to 5'6")

Currently in the NFL?

currently getting PT in the NFL

basically it boils down to the effort required to move Wolfe to a slot WR and is it worth the effort? If you could sign someone who can play the position without having to teach them the position, draft someone, or move someone currently on the team (Davis, Hester, Bradley, Hass etc.) then why would you want to go through the growing pains of teaching a grossly undersized player a new position that doesnt really put him in position to succeed?

Im thinking the Wolfe experiment is pretty much over. He isnt Warrick Dunn

Leave Wolfe at RB and carry 4 next yr and only 5 receivers. Hell, we carried 6 receivers this yr and the sixth never saw the field. Carry a WR on the practice squad if necessary.

Here's how I look at the RB situation:

- Benson: will stay but will not be given the starting job

- AP: Too good of a team player to let go. Can start in a pinch, is a very good 3rd down back, and a great special teams player

- Wolfe: Shows huge potential as a 3rd down back; showed he can play special teams

- X back: competition for starter

Peace :bears

Im thinking the Wolfe experiment is pretty much over. He isnt Warrick Dunn

I agree. It was a long shot, and it did not work. I think he still could be a decent 3rd down back/Special Teamer, but thats probably his ceiling in the NFL.

I agree. It was a long shot, and it did not work. I think he still could be a decent 3rd down back/Special Teamer, but thats probably his ceiling in the NFL.

I agree he'll never be much more than a 3rd down back/special teamer but I think he could be very, very good in that role.

its not only his height, its his overall size. You have to be insane to think Wolfe would make a smooth transition to WR. He isnt Steve Smith. He isnt good enough to be in the NFL and the coaches realize that now. They gambled and lost and dont be surprised if hes cut in the next two seasons.

its not only his height, its his overall size. You have to be insane to think Wolfe would make a smooth transition to WR. He isnt Steve Smith. He isnt good enough to be in the NFL and the coaches realize that now. They gambled and lost and dont be surprised if hes cut in the next 4 months.

fixed that for you

I would agree but I dont think JA is gonna be willing to admit he was wrong that easily and will keep him around just so he doesnt look like an idiot for absolutely throwing away a third round pick.

Do you think that Angelo is going to carry 4 running backs next year? i dont, and we already know there is going to be competition for Benson outside of the AP and Wolfe.

In other words, He Gawn

Do you think that Angelo is going to carry 4 running backs next year? i dont, and we already know there is going to be competition for Benson outside of the AP and Wolfe.

In other words, He Gawn

Good point. You know theyre not gonna get rid of AP or Benson and it would be pretty dumb to carry 4 backs.

I really wouldn't say that the Wolfe experiment is over. He looked pretty explosive on the screens and dump offs. lus he ran pretty good when he oline did there job.

Im saying purely for the numbers game alone that Wolfe is the odd man out. Wolfe isnt competing for the starting spot against Benson, and he isnt taking the # 2 spot from AP, and someone is going to be either drafted or brought in to compete for the starting spot.

Unfortunately I just dont see him sticking. I could be wrong, so many things could happen before the first day of the pre-season, but as of right now this is just how I see it shaking out.

Im saying purely for the numbers game alone that Wolfe is the odd man out. Wolfe isnt competing for the starting spot against Benson, and he isnt taking the # 2 spot from AP, and someone is going to be either drafted or brought in to compete for the starting spot.

Unfortunately I just dont see him sticking. I could be wrong, so many things could happen before the first day of the pre-season, but as of right now this is just how I see it shaking out.

I've thought about this too. But I have also looked at it like this. Maybe AP will be the one gone. His running wasn't super impressive. His pass protection was not as good as advertised.

To me Benson and AP are the smae type of runner so maybe he will be gone.

I would not rule out 4 RBs next year, especially if we only carry 1 FB on the roster as has been the case lately.

1 FB or 5 receivers will make this possible. Let's put it this way, if they let Brendan go, then they will hold onto AP and he will be the speciail teams leader.