My Bears mock draft

Ed Hochuli 3:16

According to Todd McShay, Jerome Simpson, a guy many of us have never heard of out of Coastal Carolina, has been the most impressive guy in workouts. He is 6'0, 190, which doesn't cause the eyes to pop out of one's head, but he has the longest arms there, the 2nd biggest hands, and will go as high as the 3rd round; here's my updated mock draft:

1. Jeff Otah-Pittsburgh-OT

2. Joe Flacco-Delaware-QB

3. Jonathan Hefney-Tennessee-S

4. Jerome Simpson-Coastal Carolina-WR

5. Steve Johnson-Kentucky-WR/Adrian Arrington-Michigan-WR

6. Jamie Silva-Boston College-S

7. Xavier Omon-NW Missouri State-RB

8. Adrian Fleullen-FSU-DT

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Todd McShay, Jerome Simpson, a guy many of us have never heard of out of Coastal Carolina, has been the most impressive guy in workouts. He is 6'0, 190, which doesn't cause the eyes to pop out of one's head, but he has the longest arms there, the 2nd biggest hands, and will go as high as the 3rd round; here's my updated mock draft:

We need a complete overhaul of the Oline and only 1 OL pick out of 8? We need at least 2 if not 3 OL in this draft.

As much as I hate McShay, he's right about Simpson. From what I have read, he has been flying up draft boards. Didn't know he was only 6'0", so that's not gonna help him, but he makes up for a lot of that with his huge orangutan arms and hands. I would not mind him at all in the 3rd-4th round range.

Ya cuz Flacco is all over the 3 round mock drafts. It would be a godsend if he was there in the 4th, %7%

In all likely hood, yeah, it probably would... and sites doing 3 round mock drafts already shouldn't be really trusted. Most sites actually shouldn't be trusted. A LOT of them are run by fans, and not real scouts.

We need a complete overhaul of the Oline and only 1 OL pick out of 8? We need at least 2 if not 3 OL in this draft.

Let's say we get Faneca through FA, and we draft Otah. We now would have 5 G's capable of starting with Brown, Garza, Metcalf, Beekman, and Faneca. Imagine if we drafted another one- we'd have 6! That's way too many. 4 is fine, so release Metcalf, sign Faneca, and with Garza, Brown, Beekman, and Faneca, we should be fine at G. Now on to T- Tait will be the starting LT, being backed up by St. Clair. The starting RT will be Otah or another T we take in the draft. With that being said, yes, taking another T might be needed, but not to a huge extent. I didn't think St. Clair played as bad as everyone thinks; surely not as bad as Fred "The Revolving Door" Miller.

Brown is a FA, and I have read nothing to lead me to believe re-signing him is a big priority. So right now, we have Garza, Metcalf and Beekman. I believe we have Oakley too. Metcalf was flat out awful this past year. He was thought little enough of that the staff preferred a one armed Brown over him, and frankly, we saw why. Even after Metcalf was promoted, he then lost his job to St.Clair, who ended up starting at LG. Though we will actually take a cap hit releasing him, I think it will happen. He showed this past year he is not even a good backup, and is a waste of roster space. After 6 years in the league, I do not think we should be expecting much improvement from him.

So that means we have only Garza and Beekman, who did little to impress the staff last year, and while I like him, he is a 2nd day pick and not exactly a high end prospect. So the point is, even if we sign Faneca, we could still easily add another OG to the mix. That player would likely not push Garza this year, but could eventually, and provide us a backup in the meantime.

At OT, I would not be too quick to assume Tait starts at LT. That may well happen, but if we draft an OT in the 1st, I think the hope would be he can start there immediatly, while Tait moves to the RT position, which most feel would be his best position. It obviously depends on whether the rookie is ready for the right side or not.

To me, this is the ideal situation. Draft OT (Clady, Otah or Baker) and play that rookie at LT. Sign Faneca, who plays next to the rookie, thus hopefully reducing the learning curve. Much easier to adjust to the NFL when you are playing next to one of the best OGs in the game. Then Tait is on the right side, and our entire OL goes from a weakness to a strength. Further, if we do draft another OG (or OT) day two, we add to our depth and help off-set the age issue.

At OT, I would not be too quick to assume Tait starts at LT. That may well happen, but if we draft an OT in the 1st, I think the hope would be he can start there immediatly, while Tait moves to the RT position, which most feel would be his best position. It obviously depends on whether the rookie is ready for the right side or not.

To me, this is the ideal situation. Draft OT (Clady, Otah or Baker) and play that rookie at LT. Sign Faneca, who plays next to the rookie, thus hopefully reducing the learning curve. Much easier to adjust to the NFL when you are playing next to one of the best OGs in the game. Then Tait is on the right side, and our entire OL goes from a weakness to a strength. Further, if we do draft another OG (or OT) day two, we add to our depth and help off-set the age issue.

Its a good scenario, but you just know that, with the problems we've had on the OLine in protecting the QB, and the importance of LT, that they will leave Tait on the left side. Ijust hope that the Oline is addressed fully so we can have some semblance of offence this coming season.

Its a good scenario, but you just know that, with the problems we've had on the OLine in protecting the QB, and the importance of LT, that they will leave Tait on the left side. Ijust hope that the Oline is addressed fully so we can have some semblance of offence this coming season.

Which is why i would sign Wharton and draft a guard. Wharton's not gonna have the same price tag as Faneca he still young 27 I believe, will move Tait over to the Right allow us to open the draft up a little bit more because we can get good guard in the 2nd or later and then allow Beekman,Rookie, St. Clair to duke it out for that LG position. Instead of handing LT to rookie.

So you get:

Younger

Cheaper (than signing Faneca)

Competition

and more directions to go in the draft

Which is why i would sign Wharton and draft a guard. Wharton's not gonna have the same price tag as Faneca he still young 27 I believe, will move Tait over to the Right allow us to open the draft up a little bit more because we can get good guard in the 2nd or later and then allow Beekman,Rookie, St. Clair to duke it out for that LG position. Instead of handing LT to rookie.

So you get:

Younger

Cheaper (than signing Faneca)

Competition

and more directions to go in the draft

Which is why Max Starks may be option 2, after Faneca

Problem I have w/ Starks is, he is a pure RT. No way he plays LT. So we keep Tait at LT, and Starks at RT.

If we do this, I am not as confident we draft OT in the 1st. I do not think Tait is ready to retire, and we are not going to draft a 1st round OT to sit him for a couple years. So to me, signing Starks is giving up on one of the OTs in the 1st, which I think is a mistake.

Problem I have w/ Starks is, he is a pure RT. No way he plays LT. So we keep Tait at LT, and Starks at RT.

If we do this, I am not as confident we draft OT in the 1st. I do not think Tait is ready to retire, and we are not going to draft a 1st round OT to sit him for a couple years. So to me, signing Starks is giving up on one of the OTs in the 1st, which I think is a mistake.

Agrred. Great crop of LTs at the top of this draft. We need one.

Peace :bears

I just saw a mock somewhere, and it had a pretty good idea for the Bears:

They had us trading our 1st rounder (#14) and one of our 3rd rounders (either #14 or #27) to Dallas for their first 2 rounders (#22 and #28).

With that, we could take Otah at 22, and Hardy at 28 :cheers :headbang :dabears

From what I am reading Dallas wants to move up towards the top of the draft to get McFadden (Any truth to that Nfo from Dallas land?) and if that is the case they will not want to trade their 2 #1 picks as they will need both to have a shot at moving up that far.

From what I am reading Dallas wants to move up towards the top of the draft to get McFadden (Any truth to that Nfo from Dallas land?) and if that is the case they will not want to trade their 2 #1 picks as they will need both to have a shot at moving up that far.

I have heard talk about that. Big discussion on local sports radio down here, but it is not going to happen. Frankly, no one even understands who or why that talk started.

One. They have Barber, who just finished his 3rd season. He has improved each year. 975 yards this year while splitting w/ JJ, but had nearly 5 ypc avg. 24 TDs in his last two years, and had 44 catches this year as well. And did you see him in their playoff game w/ NY? Can't blame the loss on him, as he had 22-130-1 (4.8 ypc avg.). The dude is a stud, and is why they are going to let JJ walk. RB is far from a need on this team.

Two. Though they have two #1s, Cle simply won too many games this year for Dallas to move up for McFadden. Dallas has the 22nd and 29th picks in the draft. That is barely value enough to get inside the back end of the top 10, and to be honest, value chart or no, I doubt they could even get into the top 10. McFadden is a top 4 draft choice. IMHO, either Atlanta or Oakland will take him. To move up to #2 or #3, where they would need to get to guarantee McFadden, their ENTIRE 2008 draft would not be enough (in terms of value chart) to make the jump.

No one here in Dallas really understands where the talk came from. Frankly, it just doesn't make any sense. RB is a strength, and they would have to give up this years draft, and part of next years to get McFadden. Simply makes no sense.

Dallas could go in several directions, and w/ two 1st round picks, they "might" move up for the right players, but they have enough needs that they may be content to sit and take whoever falls to them. They need OL, as they were never that great and will lose some players. They could draft WR, which is not a top need, but w/ TO and Glenn's age, it is a need. QB, RB and TE are not needs. On defense, they need playmakers at DE, LB and S.

If we were to trade w/ Dallas, our 1st for their two 1sts is not an equal trade. Their 22nd pick and 2nd round pick for our 14th is a value.

I have heard talk about that. Big discussion on local sports radio down here, but it is not going to happen. Frankly, no one even understands who or why that talk started.

Whether or not it makes sense...I bet you the Patriots are smart enough to realize that a couple of picks in the late first round are more valuable to them than a top 10 pick...regardless of what the standard "Draft value chart" says.

Please excuse me for being blunt, but what does that matter. After losing their 1st, maybe NE would drop down in the 1st round, but that would still leave Dallas well short in the McFadden sweepstakes, and Dallas would have far less ammo to work w/ to continue to move up.

W/ Dallas, anything is possible. Jerry Jones supposedly loved McFadden, not only due to his talent but also due to Jones' past ties w/ Arkansas. Dallas supposedly is looking to deal a pair of 1st round picks that have not done much (Carpenter & Spears). Could a package of Carpenter, Spears, two #1s, and maybe another pick thrown in be enough for Miami. Who knows. That have so many needs, anything is possible. Then again, it was under Parcells and Spagnola that Carpenter and Spears failed, so I am not sure why they would want them in Miami.

Like I said, when it comes to Jerry Jones, anything is possible, but I just do not see it.

PFT is also reporting that Dallas could be looking to package Barber w/ their picks to move up w/ Miami. I still question this though. Even if Dallas were willing, why would Miami do it. They have a very good RB now in Brown, and need to upgrade in other areas. I think Miami would like to trade down, but only so far as they could still get one of those stud DL, or Jake Long, or maybe Ryan w/o using the #1 pick.

Great rumor board talk, and it is fun this time of the year, but I simply do not see the logic in the move.

The reason Barber doesn't make sense for Miami is, IMO, not that they have Brown...a 2 back setup wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, especially with Brown coming off an injury this year. The problem with Barber is that I'm pretty sure he's an RFA this year, which means he's right on the doorstep of getting paid, which is not the kind of guy Miami should be looking to get.

Here's my newest one:

trade with Atlanta so they can take McFadden at 3-5 and then get either Brohm or Ryan at 14; we get one of their 2nds and their 3rd

1. Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College

2. Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware

3. Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

4. John Greco, OT, Toledo

5. Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida

6. Adrian Fleullen, DT, Florida State

7. Todd Blythe, WR, Iowa State

8. Jamie Silva, S, Boston College

9. Jehuu Culcrick, FB, Michigan State

Thoughts?

The Bears currently have eight picks in the 2008 draft, one in each of the seven rounds plus an additional third-round selection they obtained in a draft-day trade with the San Diego Chargers last year. The Bears dealt their fifth-round pick to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for defensive tackle Darwin Walker, but regained a fifth-round pick from the Carolina Panthers in a deal for safety Chris Harris. The Bears also could be awarded a compensatory pick or two after losing free agents such as Alfonso Boone, Todd Johnson, Ian Scott and Cameron Worrell.

-from Bears Chalk Talk on chicagobears.com

So as it stands now, here's how I see our draft goin'...

1. Kenny Phillips, S, Miami/Jeff Otah, OL, Pitt/Ryan Clady, OL, Boise State

2. Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas/James Hardy, WR, Indiana/Michael Oher, OL, Mississippi

3. James Hardy, WR, Indiana/Kirk Barton, OL, Ohio State/Marcus Griffin, S, Texas

4. Roy Schuening, OL, Oregon St/Barry Richardson, OL, Clemson/Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware

5. Devone Bess, WR, Hawaii/Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State/Earl Bennett, WR, Vandy

6. Jamar Adams, S, Michigan/Tom Zbikowski, S, Notre Dame/Barry Booker, DT, Va Tech

7. Jehuu Caulcrick, FB, Michigan State

8. Chad Rinehart, OL, Northern Iowa

Thoughts on mine? Thanks! Feel free to post your own.

Well, I can't complain with any of the three guys in round one. They all look like legitimate NFL starters and any of the three would fill a major need. The second round picks are very hopeful, considering there is a chance all of those guys are off the board by the early 20's, which makes it highly unlikley they make it to the 14th pick in round 2 (if any of those guys are there at 2 good lord you take them). Jones may be off the board by the time the Bears pick (he has the ability to rise that quickly, although having Mendenhall/Stewart also in the class makes things more likely that one of the backs falls till late in the 1st, maybe early in the 2nd).

The fact that you have Hardy on the board in both the 2nd and 3rd rounds (considering the lack of talent at the WR position, you'd have to expect a major run on WR's to go and any worthy WR to be off the board by the end of the first and if they make it to the Bears pick (I'd take Hardy in a heartbeat) in the 2nd I'd be thrilled.

Falco may be gone by the 2nd round and there is zero chance he is there in the 4th, zero.

Let me say I hope I'm wrong in all of this cause if the guys you have down are on the board in each of those rounds we are going to have one hell of a draft.

From what I've seen, Jones wont make it out of the 1st.

Jones/Hardy/Oher are all pretty likely 1st rounders. The only one that legitimately could fall out would be Oher simply because there are a shitload of tackles out there (which is one reason why I could see the Bears taking a skill position at 1 and than go oline in two...in fact if Ryan falls to 14, which I doubt happen, I'd be stunned if the Bears didn't take him).

Right now I'm thinking the Bears only make the pick at 14 if a stud falls to them, otherwise I think they move down. If they only move down a few spots, I think they'll take a WR or RB (assuming a good chunk of olineman are still on the board) and than they'll land a lineman at 2 and target Flacco in the 3rd (but have there ears to the ground in case they need to trade up to get him).

I'd be happy with an impact lineman (Baker or whatever tackle ends up being there at 2, a QB like Flacco, and a quality skill position guy, whether Mendenhall who can come in and help as a great receiver out of the backfield and a guy with a shitload of speed/athletism which would be an awesome combo with Benson and Peterson as the 3rd string). Maybe find a taker for Wolfe for a 4 or 5th rounder.

They are speculating that because Jerry Jones is an Arkansas alum that he will do whatever it takes to get McFadden. However, I think 14 is the range where people will start looking at the Razorbacks other back, Felix Jones, who could end up being like Ronnie Brown (moving up a lot of draft boards, despite playing second fiddle to another back...ie Cadillac Williams). Both McFadden/Jones are very talented, McFadden just has a lot more highlight films that go along with him and its why he will go top 10 (but if he was there at 14, the Bears would probably have to think long and hard about taking him or trading him because there would be some strong trade offers on the table).

You could also have a team looking for the WR they want willing to move up a couple spots to the Bears (since there are so few WR's, any team that really wants one or has one target, would have to come calling). I'm talking about Deshaun from Cal (who is probably the first WR off the board and could be there at 14 and than Malcom Kelly who would be the second and has stellar hands, good size, and good speed).

Oh and I'd be thrilled if the Bears picked up 2 1st. If Phillips fell there, you could get a safety and than a tackle, you could potentially take a WR and a tackle or get real gutsy and take a guy like Mendenhall/Stewart, a WR or tackle with your other pick and than in the 2nd round take the other position (and get three offensive players within the first 45 or so picks, while you still have a couple third rounders, one which would get your QB and the other which would get you a safety or a defensive tackle or whatever else you want).

Here's my newest one:

trade with Atlanta so they can take McFadden at 3-5 and then get either Brohm or Ryan at 14; we get one of their 2nds and their 3rd

2. Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware

3. Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State

4. John Greco, OT, Toledo

5. Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida

Thoughts?

You listed two names I like at the WR position. BOth Blythe and Thomas are guys that I think have the ability to become impact WR's. Blythe was a potential first round pick a little over a year ago who fell off the wagon thanks to horrid QB play at Iowa State. Thomas is a pretty good athlete who is raw and I think could turn into a pretty darn WR.

That said, unless the Bears lose Moose & Berrian (without bringing in another WR), I'd be surprised if they ended up drafting two WR's. I think if they lose BB you'll see them take one in the first two rounds. If they tag BB, this again is still a possibility, but if they resign him you'll see WR fall to the 3rd-5th round ranges (which could be where one of Blythe/Thomas fit in and I'd be thrilled with either of them).

Here's my newest one. It's only switched around a tad but here it goes:

2. James Hardy, WR, Indiana

3. John David Booty, QB, USC / Andre Woodson, QB, Kentucky

4. Kevin Smith, RB, Central Florida / Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas

5. Jamar Adams, S, Michigan

Thoughts?

Berrian, Hardy, Hester, Blythe, Moose/Bradley would be a pretty damn good WR core