Chicago Bears News/Discussion Catch-All Thread

kyyle23

RAIDERS SIGN KELLY TO HUGE DEAL by Michael David Smith

Adam Schefter of NFL Network and John Clayton of ESPN are reporting that the Oakland Raiders have reached an agreement on a huge new contract with defensive tackle Tommy Kelly.

The reports indicate that it's a seven-year deal worth just over $50 million, with just over $18 million guaranteed. The deal makes Kelly the highest-paid defensive tackle in NFL history.

The 27-year-old Kelly has played both end and tackle for the Raiders and is expected to replace the retiring Warren Sapp as the Raiders' three-technique defensive tackle this season. Kelly was scheduled to become a free agent at midnight and was thought to be one of the league's most sought-after free agents because he has the versatility to play either end or tackle, and in either a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense.

Kelly started all 16 games for the Raiders in 2006 but missed nine games in 2007 after suffering a torn ACL. He joined the Raiders as an undrafted free agent in 2004.

The price just went up to sign Tommie Harris if he has a good injury free season this upcoming year....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Onion offered some comments on the worst NFL draft picks. For the Bears:

Various Players, Bears: No one is sure exactly why the Bears decided to take every player in the seventh round of the draft, but odds are that this will not work well for them

:D Some other good ones:

Derrick Harvey, DE, Jaguars: Although Jacksonville could use an outside pass rusher on their defense, Harvey is just a guy Mel Kiper made up

John David Booty, QB, Vikings: An athletic quarterback with an accurate delivery, but scouts say Booty struggles when playing for monumentally shitty organizations

William Hayes, DE, Titans: In a brain-dead move of epic proportions, the Titans select Hayes 103rd when any cross-eyed inbred could see they could have easily taken him at 126

Link.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was at Lake Forest today and took a tour of old Halas Hall... I did not feel worthy walking on the same grounds George Halas, Mike Ditka, Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, etc. practiced and coached on for so many years. I felt like I needed to drop down and kiss the ground I walked.

I was at Lake Forest today and took a tour of old Halas Hall... I did not feel worthy walking on the same grounds George Halas, Mike Ditka, Gale Sayers, Walter Payton, etc. practiced and coached on for so many years. I felt like I needed to drop down and kiss the ground I walked.

Dude, that's awesome!!!! What type of connection do you have to get into Halas hall?

Peace :dabears

Dude, that's awesome!!!! What type of connection do you have to get into Halas hall?

Well, old Halas Hall is now Lake Forest College's football field and the building is used for only their football team. The new Halas Hall is actually near by but is tough to see as it is behind some trees and there is a fence blocking cars from entering.

I got to go see old Halas Hall because I am going to be a senior in high school, and my coach took some players down there to tour the campus and talk with the coaches.

Well, old Halas Hall is now Lake Forest College's football field and the building is used for only their football team. The new Halas Hall is actually near by but is tough to see as it is behind some trees and there is a fence blocking cars from entering.

I got to go see old Halas Hall because I am going to be a senior in high school, and my coach took some players down there to tour the campus and talk with the coaches.

Still very cool anyway. Thanks for the info.

BTW - Enjoy your last yr of high school. The real world awaits. I can only wish I was that young again.

What position do you play?

From rotoworld, to the surprise of exactly noone:

Bears CB Ricky Manning Jr. will reportedly be on the trading block when training camp begins.

Manning Jr. has fallen behind starters Charles Tillman and Nathan Vasher, youngsters Corey Graham, Danieal Manning, Trumaine McBride, and possibly rookie Zack Bowman on the depth chart. Manning Jr. also has a huge contract. The Bears are crazy if they think they'll get anything for him. Jul. 1 - 11:12 am et

They're referring to a SN "team report", which is worth a read, even though it doesn't have anything too surprising. Although they seem to believe Lloyd has a pretty strong hold on a roster spot ("With veterans Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd in place..."), which would surprise me.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=429544

Dan Pompei was on ESPN this morning and talked about the Bears QB competition and indicated that both Rex and Orton feel the competition is making them better football players. Orton has specifically told Pompei that he has grown more comfortable in Turners system as well as improved his downfield accuracy.

I think its going to be one heck of a battle.

From rotoworld, to the surprise of exactly noone:

They're referring to a SN "team report", which is worth a read, even though it doesn't have anything too surprising. Although they seem to believe Lloyd has a pretty strong hold on a roster spot ("With veterans Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd in place..."), which would surprise me.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=429544

Lloyd has reportedly looked very good at all of the OTA's.