Chicago Bears News/Discussion Catch-All Thread

kyyle23

Since this works so well at Soxtalk, i figured i would start a thread here for the same purpose. If you feel that something is discussion-worthy, but dont feel like starting a new thread, post it here. Maybe a Mod can sticky this at the top of the page.

The reason i started the thread is because I heard Moose on the Score yesterday during an update, and he didnt sound like he thought he was coming back to the Bears. The one quote that jumped out at me was when he said:

"If the Bears want to sign someone younger and go in a different direction, Im sure I can get another job somewhere else" (not verbatim)

Good riddance, the guy thinks way too highly of himself and how he fits in this team.

Since this works so well at Soxtalk, i figured i would start a thread here for the same purpose. If you feel that something is discussion-worthy, but dont feel like starting a new thread, post it here. Maybe a Mod can sticky this at the top of the page.

The reason i started the thread is because I heard Moose on the Score yesterday during an update, and he didnt sound like he thought he was coming back to the Bears. The one quote that jumped out at me was when he said:

"If the Bears want to sign someone younger and go in a different direction, Im sure I can get another job somewhere else" (not verbatim)

Good riddance, the guy thinks way too highly of himself and how he fits in this team.

I think if Berrian is signed, Moose is gone. If Berrian is not here, they will keep Moose for his veteran leadership. Personally, I am tired of him throwing people under the bus. He needs to take a good look in the mirror because he is the source of his problems on the field.

Peace :bears

Don't be too shocked if Moose is kept around, regardless of what we do w/ Berrian.

Even w/ Berrian, we do not have much by way of a WR corp. If we cut Moose, who becomes our 2nd starter? Hester has all the potential and talent in the world, but last year showed just how far he has to go before becoming a starter. For a starting job, he needs to show he can develop mentally as well as physically. Bradley? Always injured, and when he isn't injured, seems to be in the coaches dog house. Davis? He is not a starter.

We could draft a WR, but should we really expect a rookie to start?

We could sign a FA, but the class is weak, and I am not sure there are many starting tier WRs available.

So while many (if not most) would love to cut Moose, I simply am not sure that happens this year. Not only that, but it is unfortunately it might not happen a year from now. Berrian is most likely gone by 2009. Even if we tag him this year, he is likely gone the following year. While I want to be optimistic, if Hester/Bradley do not develop into a starter role, it is all too possible we are in a situation not that much better a year from now, and the staff may decide to keep his veteran presence until a pair of younger players do step up.

I think one other aspect to this would be the belief that so much of our offensive issues were due to OL's failure to protect the QB, and the QB inconsistencies. To the staff, that may give Moose a pass, at least for a year.

There's a part of me that would gladly show him the door... But we are so thin at WR at the moment that I'd rather have him stick around with a contract restructure.

Point well made. He makes Jackie Smith look like Jerry Rice...

I think if Berrian is signed, Moose is gone. If Berrian is not here, they will keep Moose for his veteran leadership. Personally, I am tired of him throwing people under the bus. He needs to take a good look in the mirror because he is the source of his problems on the field.

Peace :bears

Don't be too shocked if Moose is kept around, regardless of what we do w/ Berrian.

Even w/ Berrian, we do not have much by way of a WR corp. If we cut Moose, who becomes our 2nd starter? Hester has all the potential and talent in the world, but last year showed just how far he has to go before becoming a starter. For a starting job, he needs to show he can develop mentally as well as physically. Bradley? Always injured, and when he isn't injured, seems to be in the coaches dog house. Davis? He is not a starter.

We could draft a WR, but should we really expect a rookie to start?

We could sign a FA, but the class is weak, and I am not sure there are many starting tier WRs available.

So while many (if not most) would love to cut Moose, I simply am not sure that happens this year. Not only that, but it is unfortunately it might not happen a year from now. Berrian is most likely gone by 2009. Even if we tag him this year, he is likely gone the following year. While I want to be optimistic, if Hester/Bradley do not develop into a starter role, it is all too possible we are in a situation not that much better a year from now, and the staff may decide to keep his veteran presence until a pair of younger players do step up.

I think one other aspect to this would be the belief that so much of our offensive issues were due to OL's failure to protect the QB, and the QB inconsistencies. To the staff, that may give Moose a pass, at least for a year.

I think you are right about Moose. The big reason why is that Moose is a great guy to have around Hester to teach Devin the intrecacies about being a wide-receiver. Now, I know thats why the Bears pay to have a WR coach but it isn't the same. Having a guy out there on the field that can help Hester is just as important, not to mention Moose is currently playing in the league and has had lots of success in the league so there are many things he'll be able to pass on that Drake may not be able to.

Dent doesnt make the Hall of Fame this year

The Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2008 will not include former Bears defensive end Richard Dent, but it will include fellow pass rushers Fred Dean and Andre Tippett.

Also voted in Saturday were former Redskins Darrell Green and Art Monk and former Viking and Bronco Gary Zimmerman.

Former Chiefs cornerback Emmitt Thomas was selected as a senior candidate.

Dent made the cut from the final 15 to 10 along with former Vikings receiver Cris Carter, former Dolphins guard Bob Kuechenberg, former Vikings guard Randall McDaniel and former Chiefs linebacker Derrick Thomas. But those five players were eliminated in the next round of voting.

"No disrespect to Fred Dean or Andre Tippett, but I'm disappointed in the fact that if you compared those guys to me, I think you would take me ahead of them," said Dent, who was a finalist for the fourth time. "I'm disappointed in the process. It doesn't make sense."

Dent, however, makes plenty of sense. As one of the 40 voters and the one responsible for opening the discussion on Dent, I thought he compared favorably with Tippett and Dean by almost any measure.

Dent had 137½ career sacks compared to 100 for Tippett, the former Patriots linebacker. Dean, the former Chargers and 49ers defensive end, played most of his career before sacks became an official statistic, but football researcher John Turney estimates Dean had 93 career sacks.

Dent had eight seasons in which he had 10 sacks. Dean had an estimated five. Tippett had three.

Dent had 21 career takeaways. Tippett had 18. Dean had 14.

Dent had 37 career forced fumbles. Tippett had 14. Dean had eight, though figures for forced fumbles are unavailable for the first four years of his career.

Dent had 58 passes defended. Tippett had 17. Dean had 13, not including the first four years of his career.

Dent also was an outstanding run defender. Tippett was a fine run defender as well, but Dean was a 230-pound situational player for most of his career.

Dean garnered support of the voters because he helped change the game as the first stand-up defensive end. Dean said he wished he could thank late 49ers coach Bill Walsh for making him that.

"I'm trying to get my heart in order because it's still racing," Dean said by telephone shortly after being informed of his election.

Tippett called being elected the "proudest moment" of his professional career. The proudest moment of Dent's professional career remains winning the Super Bowl XX Most Valuable Player Award against Tippett and the Patriots.

Unlike Dent, Tippett did not have the benefit of playing alongside other great defenders. Tippett was a member of the NFL's 1980s all-decade team, was the AFC defensive player of the year in 1985 and played in five Pro Bowls.

Dent played in only four Pro Bowls. He did not make an all-decade team and never was named defensive player of the year. Dent believes he would have received more honors in his career if his team had promoted him more. He came into the league as an eighth-round pick and, on a team full of stars, he never was the organization's favored son.

But Dent made the most plays on the defense many consider the best of all time. For whatever reason, that wasn't enough to sway 80 percent of the electors, who vote by secret ballot.

Green, the former Redskins cornerback, was elected in his first year of eligibility. Green is only 5 feet 9 inches tall, but he never let his height be a detriment in a wonderful 20-year career with the Redskins. In Chicago, he always will be remembered for his 52-yard punt return for a touchdown at Soldier Field in the 1987 playoffs in which he jumped over Cap Boso, clinching a 21-17 Redskins victory over the Bears.

At the news conference announcing the selections, Green was touched.

"I don't even know what to say," he said. "How did I get here?"

Green walked on to his team as a junior in high school. Then he walked on to his college team at Texas A & I. He said for his entire career, he felt he was overpaid.

Zimmerman, one of the great offensive tackles of his era, reacted modestly.

"I never dreamed this day would come," he said. "I never considered myself this caliber of player. … I come from the era, we would have done this for free it was so much fun."

For Monk, the news of his election was especially gratifying because it came in the receiver's eighth year of eligibility.

"I always took the attitude that if it happens, it happens," Monk said. "It's out of my control, and there is nothing I can do about it. It's all based on God's timing."

To be voted in, candidates needed to receive 32 of 40 votes. Candidates who failed to make it to the top 10 were former Broncos linebacker Randy Gradishar, former Redskins guard Russ Grimm, former Raiders punter Ray Guy, former Bills wide receiver Andre Reed and former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. Former Chicago Cardinals defensive back Marshall Goldberg, a senior candidate, also failed to be selected.

The good news for Dent and Derrick Thomas is two pass rushers broke the logjam. Next year they should be at the front of the line

Dent played in only four Pro Bowls. He did not make an all-decade team and never was named defensive player of the year. Dent believes he would have received more honors in his career if his team had promoted him more. He came into the league as an eighth-round pick and, on a team full of stars, he never was the organization's favored son.

Something about that staement bothers me, seems like he is blaming the Bears organization for his lack of "honors" received during his career and I am disappointed he would feel this way as I think it sounds a bit like "sour grapes".

Chris Harris signs 4 year extension with Panthers.

Elias said Harris' deal is for $13.3 million over the next five years, a total that includes some incentives. Harris will receive a $2 million signing bonus this year and a $1 million roster bonus in 2009.

Harris led the NFL and set a team record with eight forced fumbles last season.

Harris ranked second on the team with a career-high 102 tackles.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10643836

This is one of those moves you wish JA could take back.

This is a very deep RB draft. My only real issue is that the Bears have 3 players on the roster. We know Peterson is not a starter, Wolfe was just selected and therefor is going to be on the roster (but he doesn't have the skill-set of a starter) and Benson is injury prone. So the question is will they carry 4 backs and if they do why not take one in the draft (afterall, this year if you take a back in the early third, your getting a guy that would grade out in a typical draft as a 2nd round back).

The tackles and backs in this draft are a very very strong class.

Not really Bears related, but there's no combine thread, so...Rotoworld reports that McFadden ran a 4.33 40.

The NFL.com broadcast had Mike Mayock covering the combine earlier, hopefully he was covering this. Anyone hear if he said anything about the McFadden run (since he had McFadden much lower than most, 16 overall iirc)?

Not really Bears related, but there's no combine thread, so...Rotoworld reports that McFadden ran a 4.33 40.

The NFL.com broadcast had Mike Mayock covering the combine earlier, hopefully he was covering this. Anyone hear if he said anything about the McFadden run (since he had McFadden much lower than most, 16 overall iirc)?

That was his 2nd run, his first was a 4.27

Ya, and some back from ECU (who I think also had an assload of reps on the bench) ran a 4.25 or something. McFadden was hauling ass. Mendenhall was in the 4.4 range.

Rotoworld speculates:

Redskins cut WR Brandon Lloyd.

The Redskins continue to clean house. Lloyd was due a $1.8 million roster bonus in July, but the Redskins got a jump start on relieving themselves of the colossal bust. Lloyd could end up in Chicago, where his former college coach, Ron Turner, is now the Bears' offensive coordinator. Feb. 26 - 5:49 pm et

Source: Washington Post

I just thought this would elicit those happy feelings, make the endorphins flow, you know, all that good stuff. ;)