Walter's mock draft

ASHKUM BEAR

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

I'd be happy with this draft if it started out this way.

1-14 Chris Williams OT Vandy B)

Jeff Otah is still on the board, so as long as we get the best OLT, I'm happy

2 -44 Andre' Woodson QB Kentucky :pray

Great leader, high completion percentage, a winner>work on quicker progressions and mechanics

3-75 Trevor Laws DT Notre Dame :huh:

I could pass on a DT, but Laws is awesome and who knows what Tommie's future with the Bears will be

3-90 Tashard Choice RB Georgia-Tech :headbang

Choices stock rose after the senior bowl, has a good combo of size/speed. Could be the 4th best back in the draft

4-106 Andre Caldwell WR Florida :o

At 6' 207, Caldwell can bring the speed 4.36 40 time.

5 Best SS available

6 Best player available

7 BPA

Free Agent priority:

Alan Faneca G Pit - age 31, will see his down side in 2-3 years, but he's at the top right now

or

Jacob Bell G Ten - age 27, may be a better option than Faneca b/c of his age

Bryant Johnson WR Arz- age 27, A vet who IMO is looking for a new team so he can shine. He sat behind Boldin/Fitzgerald and would like to go to a team to catch some of the spotlight.

and

David Patten WR NO - age 34, an old vet who can still get it done and can come in and help coach some of the young WR's.

Greg Jones FB Jaz - age 27, Jones is a great blocking TE and has helped Jax become one of the top running teams in the NFL.

The problem with all these ideas of signing guys who were on different teams last year is that we have too many that were on our team last year to sign. Do we just let Brendon and Lance walk? Resign Rex and Berrian?

If that's the case, then who do we make a push after? Faneca, and maybe Bryant Johnson? I feel better about going after Jacob Bell as an OG. He's 4 years younger than Alan is, so a 6 year, $42 million contract might be OK, but again, paying that much to an OG doesn't seem like the thing to do. We could then sign Sean Locklear who probably won't get resigned by Seattle b/c of their low cap- we can stick him at RT

Let's say we get those guys. We then can almost hold off on an OL until round 3 or 4. With our first pick (if we don't gain picks or trade picks), we could take Flacco maybe, and with our 2nd, we can take Hardy who will most likely go to Minnesota if we don't draft him, so we mine as well, b/c not only would he help us, but we'd steal a guy who will probably burn us in the future otherwise. With our first 3rd pick, since JA loooves DT in this draft, possibly Trevor Laws? 2nd 3rd round pick- Johnathan Hefney, S from Tennessee would be nice, but he may not be there at that point. We'll go with Craig Steltz from LSU here. 4th rounder, Steve Slaton or Kevin Smith to give Benson some motivation to lose 10-15 pounds.

QB: Orton, Flacco, Griese

RB: Benson, Peterson, Smith/Slaton

FB: Jason McKie, Jehuu Culcrick

WR: Berrian, Hardy, Hester, Bradley, Moose

TE: Clark, Olsen

RT: Locklear, St. Clair

RG: Garza, Beekman

C: Kreutz

LG: Bell, Metcalf

LT: Tait, St. Clair, Miller

Greg Jones is a FA? Damn, I'd love to get him. Great power runner, good receiver, and excellent blocker. And I'd probably go after someone like Starks in free agency and resign Brown cheap, and then draft an OG in the 2nd or 3rd. Our line would be (from left to right) Tait, Brown, Kreutz, Garza, Starks. That would be a solid line if Brown is healthy and Garza plays with a fire now that there is some competition.

Greg Jones is a FA? Damn, I'd love to get him. Great power runner, good receiver, and excellent blocker. And I'd probably go after someone like Starks in free agency and resign Brown cheap, and then draft an OG in the 2nd or 3rd. Our line would be (from left to right) Tait, Brown, Kreutz, Garza, Starks. That would be a solid line if Brown is healthy and Garza plays with a fire now that there is some competition.

What about Tait at LT seems like a good idea to you? Unless were picking up a left handed quarterback thats a terrible idea.

What about Tait at LT seems like a good idea to you? Unless were picking up a left handed quarterback thats a terrible idea.

Tait, while did not have a great season, was far from terrible last year. He had a couple of real bad games, but there were some health issues as well. A move to RT would be ideal, but there are no LT's out there and having a rookie start at LT is not always a good idea (unless that rookie is Joe Thomas).

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

I'd be happy with this draft if it started out this way.

1-14 Chris Williams OT Vandy B)

Jeff Otah is still on the board, so as long as we get the best OLT, I'm happy

2 -44 Andre' Woodson QB Kentucky :pray

Great leader, high completion percentage, a winner>work on quicker progressions and mechanics

3-75 Trevor Laws DT Notre Dame :huh:

I could pass on a DT, but Laws is awesome and who knows what Tommie's future with the Bears will be

3-90 Tashard Choice RB Georgia-Tech :headbang

Choices stock rose after the senior bowl, has a good combo of size/speed. Could be the 4th best back in the draft

4-106 Andre Caldwell WR Florida :o

At 6' 207, Caldwell can bring the speed 4.36 40 time.

5 Best SS available

6 Best player available

7 BPA

Free Agent priority:

Alan Faneca G Pit - age 31, will see his down side in 2-3 years, but he's at the top right now

or

Jacob Bell G Ten - age 27, may be a better option than Faneca b/c of his age

Bryant Johnson WR Arz- age 27, A vet who IMO is looking for a new team so he can shine. He sat behind Boldin/Fitzgerald and would like to go to a team to catch some of the spotlight.

and

David Patten WR NO - age 34, an old vet who can still get it done and can come in and help coach some of the young WR's.

Greg Jones FB Jaz - age 27, Jones is a great blocking TE and has helped Jax become one of the top running teams in the NFL.

David Patten is a guy I would like to pick up for our #2 WR role (if the team plans on getting rid of Moose). Stick Patten in the two spot, keep Berrian or go after Walker/Bryant Johnson and than let the rest of the guys fight for the 3 spot with the goal of having Hester as your #2 a year from now (and you have the ability to slide Patten into a pure slot spot where he would excel as well).

Tait, while did not have a great season, was far from terrible last year. He had a couple of real bad games, but there were some health issues as well. A move to RT would be ideal, but there are no LT's out there and having a rookie start at LT is not always a good idea (unless that rookie is Joe Thomas).

It would be OK if Tait went to the right and we start a rookie at left.

Reason is; Tait is a natural RT of almost pro-bowl caliber. At left tackle he is average at best. Moving him to the right will tremendously improve the right side of the line. I don't think a highly drafted tackle is going to be a tremendous drop off. Especially given that the right side will be locked down. You only have one side that ever needs help. You can manage that while developing a player. Tony Ugoh comes to mind as a guy that did OK in a circumstance that was less than ideal, but got the help he needed and thrived.

The only way I would not pick an O-Lineman with #14 would be if someone like Phillips was still on the board.

Now here is a question, which QB would you take at #14 if they were still there? Brohm? Ryan? Woodson? Henne?

Brohm for sure. If he's there at 14 we'd be stupid not to draft him (unless we somehow get McNabb. I'd avoid Ryan as he is an overrated piece of crap. And Woodson and Henne, no. I'd choice Flacco before I would choice any other QB in this draft besides Brohm. It would be right now a reach at 14 for Flacco, but come combine time, it might not be so much of a reach.

It would be OK if Tait went to the right and we start a rookie at left.

Reason is; Tait is a natural RT of almost pro-bowl caliber. At left tackle he is average at best. Moving him to the right will tremendously improve the right side of the line. I don't think a highly drafted tackle is going to be a tremendous drop off. Especially given that the right side will be locked down. You only have one side that ever needs help. You can manage that while developing a player. Tony Ugoh comes to mind as a guy that did OK in a circumstance that was less than ideal, but got the help he needed and thrived.

Well, IMO, it would be best to sign someone like Max Starks to be our RT for the next 7 years (at least), as he would be as good or probably even better then Tait at RT for a longer period of time. Tait only has 2 or 3 years left on his contract, and at the worst, will be a quality starter at LT. After all, he played up to a pro bowl level last year, and outside of about a 3-4 game stretch (when he did have some injury issues), he wasn't that bad. Then we could draft a guy to develop at LT either in the middle rounds or early next year.

Also, I'd resign Brown to a cheap deal. He still can be a quality player and was injured last year. By all sounds of it, he wants to return, and if healthty, he is still decent. The I'd draft an OG in round 2 or 3 to compete with Garza and be insurance for Brown (along with St. Clair who turned out to be alright at LG).

If we pick up Flacco with our first pick I'll throw up. If starting LT talent is there in the first round (it should be) you go get one of them.

I have a funny feeling that if you want Flacco with our 2nd round pick and a T with our first pick, then we won't get him. The only way we get Flacco is if we reach for him in round 1. I don't see a way he gets by Atlanta in round 2 (unless they take a QB with their first pick), KC in round 2, Oakland in round 2, Baltimore in round 2 (unless they take a QB with their first pick), or Carolina in the 2nd round :crying

Well, IMO, it would be best to sign someone like Max Starks to be our RT for the next 7 years (at least), as he would be as good or probably even better then Tait at RT for a longer period of time. Tait only has 2 or 3 years left on his contract, and at the worst, will be a quality starter at LT. After all, he played up to a pro bowl level last year, and outside of about a 3-4 game stretch (when he did have some injury issues), he wasn't that bad. Then we could draft a guy to develop at LT either in the middle rounds or early next year.

Also, I'd resign Brown to a cheap deal. He still can be a quality player and was injured last year. By all sounds of it, he wants to return, and if healthty, he is still decent. The I'd draft an OG in round 2 or 3 to compete with Garza and be insurance for Brown (along with St. Clair who turned out to be alright at LG).

Agreed on Brown and St Clair

How did Tait play up to a Pro-Bowl level last year? Secondly, Max Starks doesn't even start for the Steelers. Lastly, I don't the stats on this, but how many mid round selections develop into starting caliber left tackles? We've got to get an early round LT. The draft is too deep, not to get a good one in the 1st or 2nd.

I can accept grooming an LT only if he is a big enough drop off from Tait to warrant grooming. In any case, if you are grooming the guy, you do it at RT. No to Starks. Too expensive and not needed.

Agreed on Brown and St Clair

How did Tait play up to a Pro-Bowl level last year? Secondly, Max Starks doesn't even start for the Steelers. Lastly, I don't the stats on this, but how many mid round selections develop into starting caliber left tackles? We've got to get an early round LT. The draft is too deep, not to get a good one in the 1st or 2nd.

I can accept grooming an LT only if he is a big enough drop off from Tait to warrant grooming. In any case, if you are grooming the guy, you do it at RT. No to Starks. Too expensive and not needed.

Tait played up to a pro bowl caliber in the 2006 season. 2007, not so much.