Thayer says Orton should start

Connorbear

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, the decision about whether to let go of Rex is a tough one, but I would tend to keep him if he is not too expensive. He is still young, knows the system, players like him, and has shown signs of great talent. He just needs to be more consistent.

How about a real competition in camp to determine the starter? I don't know if Lovie would allow such a thing, as he seems to enjoy giving the job away before camp even starts, but a real competition would be great IMO.

Listened to Thayer on the SCORE with Double Z earlier tonight and he said Orton has progressed enough to be given the starting job. He also seem to say 5 yrs is enough time on Rex and the Bears need to move on - Rex has too many questions to answer.

Peace :bears

I've said for 3 years that Orton shouldn't start because he's not very good, has poor accuracy, and doesn't have great vision. I've changed my stance, not because he's better, but because he's not as bad. When Orton emerged as the starter in 2007, for the first time all year there wasn't the constant interceptions, the constant batted-down balls, and he wasn't getting sacked 5 times a game. The running game seeemd more consistent and the rest of the team seemed to "step it up a notch." Maybe this was because we had nothing to lose at this point, maybe it was injured players getting benched, or maybe it's all in my head.

Either way, there's no QB available I think will help this team (including McNabb) & I sure as hell don't want to see another rookie.

I'd like to see Orton get his shot.

Either way, there's no QB available I think will help this team (including McNabb) & I sure as hell don't want to see another rookie.

One, why would McNabb not help this team? I do not understand how that could even be an argument. Now, whether we can get him, and whether he is worth whatever Phily may want is an understandable argument, but to say McNabb could not help this team? He didn't play great last year, but most agreed he came back from injury too soon, and he finished the year well w/ 4 solid games. I just do not understand the logic that McNabb would not help this team. Now I would preface that by saying no QB will help unless we upgrade the OL, but I think that upgrading the OL has to be an assumption no matter what.

Two, why do you not want to draft a QB? I am not saying round one specifically, but I do see the need for drafting a QB. While a rookie QB isn't going to help us this year, we have to start the process of developing a QB at some point, and when better than now? Or do you simply think there is no quality at QB in this draft?

Unless we can get McNabb, which I doubt, I have no problem w/ Orton being in the picture, but to declare he should be given the job I think is a total mistake. That was a mistake made, IMHO, w/ Rex. If Orton can go into camp and earn the job, then it is his, but he should be given NOTHING.

Cut Griese, open competition in training camp.

I agree. Then they can also draft a qb to would have time to develop. Orton showed me he is a capable qb at the end of the season but IMO Grossman also really stepped up his play after coming in during the Oakland game. The fact that both of them managed to look ok with the line troubles, WR drops and RB disaster at the end of the year makes me think that if they had a few more upgrades on that side of the ball that they can be successful. Griese on the other hand just sucks.

Dont forgot that every game we lost was direct result of him in the Super Bowl Season. Ah hmmm'. We have no starting QB on this roster

So he gets no credit for the 15 wins, but he gets all of the blame for the 4 losses? I know the defense was a big part of what they did, but these kind of statements are just ridiculous

Unless we can get McNabb, which I doubt, I have no problem w/ Orton being in the picture, but to declare he should be given the job I think is a total mistake. That was a mistake made, IMHO, w/ Rex. If Orton can go into camp and earn the job, then it is his, but he should be given NOTHING.

As one of the biggest (if not the biggest) Orton supporter on this board, I agree with that, make him earn it in camp. I've been screaming for 3 years that Rex needed an open competition in camp, and it never happened. I still think it needs to happen. Lovie seems to like competition at every position EXCEPT QB, which is baffling. Open it up and may the best QB win. I believe it will be Orton, but the competition will make all of them better.

One, why would McNabb not help this team? I do not understand how that could even be an argument. Now, whether we can get him, and whether he is worth whatever Phily may want is an understandable argument, but to say McNabb could not help this team? He didn't play great last year, but most agreed he came back from injury too soon, and he finished the year well w/ 4 solid games. I just do not understand the logic that McNabb would not help this team. Now I would preface that by saying no QB will help unless we upgrade the OL, but I think that upgrading the OL has to be an assumption no matter what.

Two, why do you not want to draft a QB? I am not saying round one specifically, but I do see the need for drafting a QB. While a rookie QB isn't going to help us this year, we have to start the process of developing a QB at some point, and when better than now? Or do you simply think there is no quality at QB in this draft?

If we can get Rex signed, and that's a big "if", then I'¡d be all for drafting a QB after rd. one and letting him develop. We have to be looking to develop this position for the long term.

I often hear about how a QB controversy can be a distraction, and that is why Lovie wanted to avoid competition. I call BS. If after the 4th preseason game you still have not named a starter, I see the problem. But IMHO, camp and the early part of preseason should basically be open. I think the starter should be known by game three, but we have gone the opposite direction. Even when it was "said" that everything was open, you knew better by the number of reps each QB got in practice, and who worked w/ which unit.

Side note you pic w/ comment made me think about:

A couple years ago, my daughter (then 3) was in trouble at school and the teacher had to speak w/ me. I have trained my daughter well. Anytime someone mentioned the cowboys, she would reply, "Cowboys yuck, BEARS #1!". It was great until the teach was reading a cowboys and indians type book during storytime one day, and Avery kept repeating the statement everytime the teacher said the word "cowboy". Total disruption of storytime the teacher said, but since she was a Giant fan, she later gave Avery some candy as a treat. She made her daddy proud that day:)

Disagree.

One, While I am not going to try and prop Griese up, I also have to say I hated the way we tried to play when he was in. Do you realize we called for 40 or more passed in 5 or his 6 starts? Rex had ONE game throwing 40 times. Maybe it was over-confidence in a more veteran QB, but it was ridiculous how we abandoned the run when Griese entered and became such a one dimensional team.

Two, I have no problem cutting Griese if we add a QB relatively high in the draft, but I see no reason to cut him early. In fact, I would have no problem entering camp w/ Griese still on the roster, and have a legit open competition. If he beats out Orton or whoever, so be it.

I often hear about how a QB controversy can be a distraction, and that is why Lovie wanted to avoid competition. I call BS. If after the 4th preseason game you still have not named a starter, I see the problem. But IMHO, camp and the early part of preseason should basically be open. I think the starter should be known by game three, but we have gone the opposite direction. Even when it was "said" that everything was open, you knew better by the number of reps each QB got in practice, and who worked w/ which unit.

Exactly. I see no downside to opening it up at the beginning of camp and letting them share reps and then pick who is best for the 3rd and most important preseason game. Lovie has been too soft with his QB's since he's been here and it has not helped them.

Side note you pic w/ comment made me think about:

A couple years ago, my daughter (then 3) was in trouble at school and the teacher had to speak w/ me. I have trained my daughter well. Anytime someone mentioned the cowboys, she would reply, "Cowboys yuck, BEARS #1!". It was great until the teach was reading a cowboys and indians type book during storytime one day, and Avery kept repeating the statement everytime the teacher said the word "cowboy". Total disruption of storytime the teacher said, but since she was a Giant fan, she later gave Avery some candy as a treat. She made her daddy proud that day:)

Excellent! My wife's family are Packer fans and my mother-in-law kept trying to get Elaine to say she was a Packer fan, and she wouldn't. Finally the MIL tried to say that the Packers were in her blood. My daughter thought for a second and said, "OK Grandma, but the Bears are in my heart!" It was a proud day... :headbang :bringit :dabears

I think the Bears just want so much for Rex to be the guy, that they won't really look at his deficiencies. He is small, he doesn't read defenses well, he gets way too spooked in the pocket, he is prone to turn the ball over at the worst possible times, he doesn't seem to learn from any of his mistakes. He is not the kind of guy who can hang in there when things are going badly and bring calm to the huddle. Now, is Orton that guy? I don't know. Is Griese that guy? I don't believe so. I believe Griese will get you all jacked up moving the team downfield and then all of the sudden, just as we think we're getting ready to score,he will turn it over.

I hope it comes to pass that we resign Rex, launch Griese, draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd, let Rex and Kyle compete for the starting job and may the best man win. I like resigning Rex not because I think he will win the starting job, even if he does, I'll pull for him, but because he knows this offense better than any other back up we could get.

I think Orton can surprise alot of people.

BigDaddy, I follow your line of thinking. The Bears seem to really want (or need) Gorssman to be the man. However, I think his actions have shown that he is not. Many will, I'm sure, disagree. But I think Rex is an OK QB, but not one that you can rely on. When he was QB'ing during the SB year, he did well in a lot of games, mostly due to a great running attack and great D. When asked to actually do something, he failed in virtually every instance. I personally have had enough of him. I wish him well. He's been a good trooper. But I feel that this team won't go forward with him on the roster. Management will find some way to "give" him the job regardless of what they tell us about competition.

I just want a clean break, as much as it would make sense to have him around in competition. The only way I'd really be happy with him back is if we drafted a QB in round 1 that will obviously be the successor. At least we know Rex would be the stop gap...

I think the Bears just want so much for Rex to be the guy, that they won't really look at his deficiencies. He is small, he doesn't read defenses well, he gets way too spooked in the pocket, he is prone to turn the ball over at the worst possible times, he doesn't seem to learn from any of his mistakes. He is not the kind of guy who can hang in there when things are going badly and bring calm to the huddle. Now, is Orton that guy? I don't know. Is Griese that guy? I don't believe so. I believe Griese will get you all jacked up moving the team downfield and then all of the sudden, just as we think we're getting ready to score,he will turn it over.

I hope it comes to pass that we resign Rex, launch Griese, draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd, let Rex and Kyle compete for the starting job and may the best man win. I like resigning Rex not because I think he will win the starting job, even if he does, I'll pull for him, but because he knows this offense better than any other back up we could get.

I think Orton can surprise alot of people.

Hi Guys,

I listened to that interview as well. Keep in mind that Thayer is a company guy, working for the Bears' flagship. Why do I say that? Well, we're all getting excited positively and negatively regarding this Orton statement, right...but when Double Z asked him how he wanted to see the line for next year, Thayer said he wanted to see Tyler Reed and Josh Beekman battle it out for LG, and had some other eye openers as well.

I wouldn't get too excited about that interview.

For everybody shitting all over Grossman I would like to hear what are youre solutions. Its easy enough to say he sucks, hes too small but youre not giving a solution. Orton MIGHT be a solution but I would be worried going into next season with him alone as the starting caliber QB on the team. In our situation our best bet is to bring Rex back and let him and Orton play it out for the job.

I cant believe people are still mentioning McNabb. Hes not coming here, get over it.

For everybody shitting all over Grossman I would like to hear what are youre solutions. Its easy enough to say he sucks, hes too small but youre not giving a solution. Orton MIGHT be a solution but I would be worried going into next season with him alone as the starting caliber QB on the team. In our situation our best bet is to bring Rex back and let him and Orton play it out for the job.

I cant believe people are still mentioning McNabb. Hes not coming here, get over it.

People love to shit all over Rex. Yet, think Orton is the second coming of Joe Montana.

People love to shit all over Rex. Yet, think Orton is the second coming of Joe Montana.

Grossman has been given every opportunity to succeed and has be extremely inconsistant. Orton has not been give a fair chance, with the same practice reps with the starters or any other way and THAT is why people want to see what we have with him. We already know what we had with Grossman.

People continue to talk about McNabb because reports continue to mention McNabb as a potential player for a trade. Most recent reports talk about Baltimore making a move to get him.

Is it likely he comes here. Nope. Is it possible. I would say yes, it is possible. For that reason, he continues to be discussed.

As for Rex, and QB solution, I agree. It is easy to rip Rex, while much more difficult to offer a solution. At the same time, that does not automatically mean Rex, who is going to his FA, is the solution either.

To be honest, I am in the camp of it is time to move on. I would rather look at drafting a QB this year, allowing Orton and Griese to compete for the start, while the rookie develops, as opposed to re-signing Rex.

That isn't my favorite plan in the world, but options are limited. Sort of like w/ WR. Options are very limited this year.

Grossman has been given every opportunity to succeed and has be extremely inconsistant. Orton has not been give a fair chance, with the same practice reps with the starters or any other way and THAT is why people want to see what we have with him. We already know what we had with Grossman.

What part of english don't you understand? Orton isn't a freakin #1 QB!