Thayer says Orton should start

Connorbear

Unless we can get McNabb, which I doubt, I have no problem w/ Orton being in the picture, but to declare he should be given the job I think is a total mistake. That was a mistake made, IMHO, w/ Rex. If Orton can go into camp and earn the job, then it is his, but he should be given NOTHING.

As a radio broadcaster for the Bears, I don't Tom Thayer is in the position to guarentee anything. He was simply giving an opinion.

Peace :bears

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Says a FAN that seems to have some anger issues. I don't understand the part where someone rants and raves but doesn't put up any information to back their opinion.

I agree, relax Bears. While I think Rex may have more talent then Orton, he may have more flaws. These 2 need to battle it out, release Griese, and go from there.

nfo, I think you and I are 100% on the same mindeset on this...

People continue to talk about McNabb because reports continue to mention McNabb as a potential player for a trade. Most recent reports talk about Baltimore making a move to get him.

Is it likely he comes here. Nope. Is it possible. I would say yes, it is possible. For that reason, he continues to be discussed.

As for Rex, and QB solution, I agree. It is easy to rip Rex, while much more difficult to offer a solution. At the same time, that does not automatically mean Rex, who is going to his FA, is the solution either.

To be honest, I am in the camp of it is time to move on. I would rather look at drafting a QB this year, allowing Orton and Griese to compete for the start, while the rookie develops, as opposed to re-signing Rex.

That isn't my favorite plan in the world, but options are limited. Sort of like w/ WR. Options are very limited this year.

Grossman has been given every opportunity to succeed and has be extremely inconsistant. Orton has not been give a fair chance, with the same practice reps with the starters or any other way and THAT is why people want to see what we have with him. We already know what we had with Grossman.

Since you know what you have with Grossman than what is it? What exactly do we have there? Anybody that tries to say he didnt look impressive after he came back during the Oakland game is just hating for the sake of hating. If you want to say we know what we have with a QB on the roster its Griese.

Also, I would hardly call having the worst offensive line, terrible receivers and a joke of a running back every opportunity to succeed. I would however call success being the QB of a Super Bowl team.

I clearly said I think our best option would be to cut Griese and bring back Rex and draft a qb and let Orton and Rex have an open competition. Thats a SOLUTION, not. Blah, blah blah, I hate Rex, he has been given every opportunity to succeed and only made it to a Super Bowl but never won one. Lets trade for a QB thats not on the trading block because he is from Chicago and we will be unstoppable. If that falls through we can trade for Tom Brady because his Big Ten ties mean he might want to play in the midwest.

Also Gakman, for the record, is your solution to let Grossman walk and then start Orton to see what we have with him? Great idea, lets go into the season starting a guy so we can "see" what we have with him. What if he "doesnt" have it? Griese?

Unless we make a trade for someone like McNabb, my preference is to re-sign Rex and let him and Orton have open competition for the starting job. I see no real reason to keep Greise around. He's capable of keeping a team afloat for a few games but he is on the decline. Rex or Kyle still have potential and enough physical ability (i.e. strong arm) to improve. IMO the arguments center on the likelihood of that happening.

The third QB slot should go to a draftee that we can develop for a year or two.

If Orton is so damn good, he would of have been starter by now. :bang

How you can possibly sit there, after watching Grossman shit down his leg for the last 2 years and tell anyone they are crazy for wanting to see what Orton can do is beyond understanding. You have NO freakin IDEA whether or not Orton isn't a #1 QB. He's the only QB thios team has that has done what was asked of him. If you don't think those games he put together against GB and NO were outstanding performances in horrible condidtions, then your just crazy as hell. As to your statement that if he was so good he would have been a starter by now, I can only say that's not entirely true. Unfortunately, this coaching staff evaluates talent at about the same level you do.

Since you know what you have with Grossman than what is it? What exactly do we have there? Anybody that tries to say he didnt look impressive after he came back during the Oakland game is just hating for the sake of hating. If you want to say we know what we have with a QB on the roster its Griese.

Also, I would hardly call having the worst offensive line, terrible receivers and a joke of a running back every opportunity to succeed. I would however call success being the QB of a Super Bowl team.

I clearly said I think our best option would be to cut Griese and bring back Rex and draft a qb and let Orton and Rex have an open competition. Thats a SOLUTION, not. Blah, blah blah, I hate Rex, he has been given every opportunity to succeed and only made it to a Super Bowl but never won one. Lets trade for a QB thats not on the trading block because he is from Chicago and we will be unstoppable. If that falls through we can trade for Tom Brady because his Big Ten ties mean he might want to play in the midwest.

Also Gakman, for the record, is your solution to let Grossman walk and then start Orton to see what we have with him? Great idea, lets go into the season starting a guy so we can "see" what we have with him. What if he "doesnt" have it? Griese?

I can't tell what side you're on here, but all I have to say is that the solution is giving Rex a 1 year contract at a cheap price of 2-3 million and having he and Orton battle it out, while our draftee (Flacco, Henne) sit back and take in the speed of the NFL game for a year.

If Rex is that bad, we can trade him during the year for a box of kleenex, it's not that hard.

I can't tell what side you're on here, but all I have to say is that the solution is giving Rex a 1 year contract at a cheap price of 2-3 million and having he and Orton battle it out, while our draftee (Flacco, Henne) sit back and take in the speed of the NFL game for a year.

If Rex is that bad, we can trade him during the year for a box of kleenex, it's not that hard.

Im not even really on any side, Im just stating what I think is the best option for the team right now. Which is resigning Rex, cutting Griese and letting Orton and Rex have an open competition to start. Then they can draft a project qb to hold the clip board.

Pretty much what you put is exactly what I think too, Im just not as quick as to jump all over Grossman and say he sucks and we should let him walk. Grossman might be the best FA QB out there anyway and he already knows the offense. It would be a terrible idea to let him leave.

Keep Orton and Grossman and draft someone and then fix the other pieces of the offense and see what those guys can do. I have always been a big fan of Grossman and I know he has been inconsistent but he has also shown the talent to be a top qb. The game really seemed to slow down for him the second half of the season and I want to see what he can do with an O line, WRs and a running game.

Im not even really on any side, Im just stating what I think is the best option for the team right now. Which is resigning Rex, cutting Griese and letting Orton and Rex have an open competition to start. Then they can draft a project qb to hold the clip board.

Pretty much what you put is exactly what I think too, Im just not as quick as to jump all over Grossman and say he sucks and we should let him walk. Grossman might be the best FA QB out there anyway and he already knows the offense. It would be a terrible idea to let him leave.

Keep Orton and Grossman and draft someone and then fix the other pieces of the offense and see what those guys can do. I have always been a big fan of Grossman and I know he has been inconsistent but he has also shown the talent to be a top qb. The game really seemed to slow down for him the second half of the season and I want to see what he can do with an O line, WRs and a running game.

I agree completely, thanks for clarifying your post.

One, why would McNabb not help this team? I do not understand how that could even be an argument. Now, whether we can get him, and whether he is worth whatever Phily may want is an understandable argument, but to say McNabb could not help this team? He didn't play great last year, but most agreed he came back from injury too soon, and he finished the year well w/ 4 solid games. I just do not understand the logic that McNabb would not help this team. Now I would preface that by saying no QB will help unless we upgrade the OL, but I think that upgrading the OL has to be an assumption no matter what.

To me, when McNabb had the threat to scramble, he was amongst the best in the league. Now he's become a pure pocket passer, and he no longer has the potential for greatness. Much like the Bear's QB's we have, he's great at times, and flat out awful at times. I guess I'd take him straight up over the guys we have, but with his cap number, and whatever it might cost to trade for him, he's not worth it.

Two, why do you not want to draft a QB? I am not saying round one specifically, but I do see the need for drafting a QB. While a rookie QB isn't going to help us this year, we have to start the process of developing a QB at some point, and when better than now? Or do you simply think there is no quality at QB in this draft?

Technically I said I didn't want to see a rookie QB. Much different then saying that I didn't want to draft one. Although I do not want to take one in the first round. If that happens, we're doomed to see a Cedric Benson experiment (although I know you like him for some reason). We give that QB the keys to the car and he drives us off the bridge. It's bad enough having to watch a bad #1 running-back who sucks. Take a QB #1 and we're bound to find out what happens.

Because Orton was drafted in the 4th round, there's much less demand for him to start. According to PFT, many of the top QB's will slip drastically. Ideally I'd like to see one with our first 3rd round pick.

Listened to Thayer on the SCORE with Double Z earlier tonight and he said Orton has progressed enough to be given the starting job. He also seem to say 5 yrs is enough time on Rex and the Bears need to move on - Rex has too many questions to answer.

Completely agree with him.

I agree, relax Bears. While I think Rex may have more talent then Orton, he may have more flaws. These 2 need to battle it out, release Griese, and go from there.

I don't need to relax. Some of you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

What part of english don't you understand? Orton isn't a freakin #1 QB!

Simmer down now!!!! ;)

I think he understands english fine. He simply doesn't agree with you. You're opinion is Orton isn't a #1 QB. His opinion is Orton should be given a shot to see if he is. No need to fight about it.

"Since you know what you have with Grossman than what is it?"

A short qb that who has no pocket presence and tends to step into sacks instead of out of them. He is inconsistent week to week and tends to get rattled easly when blitzed. Did i mention he is seems to be hurt every year?

As far as a gameplan for the future IF and I am sure it's a big if Rex will come back with a performance ladened deal where he actually has to earn his starting position, not to mention his money by actually staying healthy and putting up numbers I'd love to see them sign him and compete with Orton. Then get someone in the first day of the draft and start to groom him for the future. That is what I would do. I am just tired of the same old Rex is our guy nonsense without even giving anyone else in camp a fair shake. The Bears have dragged their feet in regards to the QB situation for 5 plus years waiting for Rex to "Get it" and yet the questions are still there. We need to start looking at other options NOW instead of waiting for the same old same old to happend all over again.

I don't need to relax. Some of you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Yes, you do. If you want to continue to be part of this board, you need to realize that your opinion is not the only one around.

Try to be a bit more civil and quite acting like a 12 year old that doesnt get his way.

I can be very patient and I'm sure the other admins have too but if you continue to piss people off, you will not be part of this board.

"Since you know what you have with Grossman than what is it?"

A short qb that who has no pocket presence and tends to step into sacks instead of out of them. He is inconsistent week to week and tends to get rattled easly when blitzed. Did i mention he is seems to be hurt every year?

As far as a gameplan for the future IF and I am sure it's a big if Rex will come back with a performance ladened deal where he actually has to earn his starting position, not to mention his money by actually staying healthy and putting up numbers I'd love to see them sign him and compete with Orton. Then get someone in the first day of the draft and start to groom him for the future. That is what I would do. I am just tired of the same old Rex is our guy nonsense without even giving anyone else in camp a fair shake. The Bears have dragged their feet in regards to the QB situation for 5 plus years waiting for Rex to "Get it" and yet the questions are still there. We need to start looking at other options NOW instead of waiting for the same old same old to happend all over again.

Thats pretty much what I said idea wise without the shitting all over Rex. I said there should be an open competition for QB and they should draft one too. However, I dont think it should be in the first two rounds. You can hate Rex all you want but you seem to forget he has had more success at QB than any Bears QB since Kramer. Since weve had him as the QB has been one of the longest stretches of the Bears winning since the early 90s. He wasnt gonna put up Peyton Manning numbers but we were winning and thats all that should matter.

He may be short, inconsistent and whatever else but as of right now, the Bears are a better team with him on the roster and that cant be denied. If you had it your way the Bears would have a new QB every year and until they fix the other offensive issues they will all struggle to have the success the Bears have had the past few years.

Also, you didnt address my point about his second stint last season. I think even non Rex supporters have to admit he seemed much better since the Oakland game. He was eliminating mistakes, making smart throws and checking down. All this with AP at RB, WRs that were more inconsistent than he was and literally a revolving door on the line. He had no time to throw and still wasnt turning it over much. Not to mention, not one WR on the roster would ever try to knock down a ball that could be intercepted.

Look at Brady and Moss. How many times did Brady just launch it up in the air and Moss would either go get it or knock it down if he couldnt. Thats a huge security blanket for QBs. If Rex did that it gets picked off because the receivers give up on routes, drop passes and never make plays. Last year, the job of being QB for the Bears might have been one of the toughest situations to be in for the whole league. If Grossman ever lands on a team with more talent around him he can have a lot of success. Just claiming he sucks and listing stereotypes about him is pointless. All those flaws you list in him are greatly effected by the players around him. IE, He may not step into sacks if he didnt have a tackle in his face immediately. He might not be so inconsistent if he had a legitimate number one receiver or even a running game.

The offensive problems arent his fault. No quarterback would have performed with that offensive unit.

Thats pretty much what I said idea wise without the shitting all over Rex. I said there should be an open competition for QB and they should draft one too. However, I dont think it should be in the first two rounds. You can hate Rex all you want but you seem to forget he has had more success at QB than any Bears QB since Kramer. Since weve had him as the QB has been one of the longest stretches of the Bears winning since the early 90s. He wasnt gonna put up Peyton Manning numbers but we were winning and thats all that should matter.

He may be short, inconsistent and whatever else but as of right now, the Bears are a better team with him on the roster and that cant be denied. If you had it your way the Bears would have a new QB every year and until they fix the other offensive issues they will all struggle to have the success the Bears have had the past few years.

Also, you didnt address my point about his second stint last season. I think even non Rex supporters have to admit he seemed much better since the Oakland game. He was eliminating mistakes, making smart throws and checking down. All this with AP at RB, WRs that were more inconsistent than he was and literally a revolving door on the line. He had no time to throw and still wasnt turning it over much. Not to mention, not one WR on the roster would ever try to knock down a ball that could be intercepted.

Look at Brady and Moss. How many times did Brady just launch it up in the air and Moss would either go get it or knock it down if he couldnt. Thats a huge security blanket for QBs. If Rex did that it gets picked off because the receivers give up on routes, drop passes and never make plays. Last year, the job of being QB for the Bears might have been one of the toughest situations to be in for the whole league. If Grossman ever lands on a team with more talent around him he can have a lot of success. Just claiming he sucks and listing stereotypes about him is pointless. All those flaws you list in him are greatly effected by the players around him. IE, He may not step into sacks if he didnt have a tackle in his face immediately. He might not be so inconsistent if he had a legitimate number one receiver or even a running game.

The offensive problems arent his fault. No quarterback would have performed with that offensive unit.

Should we mention the interceptions dropped by the other teams? I won't mention the, well ya I will, way he stares down his receiver. I am not disagreeing with the status of the WR issue but yet now the excuses for why he failed begin again. You want to talk about stereotypical answers, then tell me what is different then the sterotypical excuses being made for him. I guess it's everyone elses fault he doesn't have pocket presence.

I did forget the 3rd round is now on day 2 i was feeling more towards either the 2nd or 3rd in regards to addressing the QB situation.

If I had my way the Bears would actually get some talent evaluators that have the ability to find quality talent on the offensive side of the ball. They continually get undersized QB's when they draft early while trying to address the QB position...aka Cade Mcclown and Rex I got hurt when the wind blew on me Grossman. We won't mention the projects at WR and don't forget they drafted David Terrell full well knowing he had a broken leg.

" Since weve had him as the QB has been one of the longest stretches of the Bears winning since the early 90s."

Did I just read that correctly you are stating the Bears have been winning more since Grossman was QB? He has only been healthy 1 season in his entire career. Wow 1 winning season is a long stretch? Last time I checked he hadn't played much before that due to injury. Given he did look better when he finally came off the bench but again got hurt. That stint is the only reason I would even consider bringing him back as he finally showed some improvement. Also, I don't think I have ever bashed on Grossman, the information in regards to what is wrong with him, tell me which part of what I said wasn't accurate?

Hey Orton had to deal with the same situation and the main difference I saw between the 2 was the fact he was able to STEP UP in the pocket to aviod sacks instead of backpedalling another 5 to 10 yards before being sacked. If Grossman was able to fix his pocket presence issues it would be great as he has a beautiful deep pass. Have you seen anywhere where i have said DONT BRING REX back? Again, I am just tired of him being handed the starting job and there not being a true competition in training camp for the starting QB position.