Rex deal DONE

Ed Hochuli 3:16

The deal is done, it's a year 1 deal

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=4400

Well, now that I know it's 1 year instead of 2, it looks like we'll still draft Henne or Flacco in round 2 :cheers :dabears

Got to give the kid props. He could have waited until FA and most likely got a longer term deal with another team. He definately showed loyalty to an organization that stood behind him during the bad times.

Peace :bears

Got to give the kid props. He could have waited until FA and most likely got a longer term deal with another team. He definately showed loyalty to an organization that stood behind him during the bad times.

Agreed. Considering him & Orton are both free agents next season, it ought to be interesting to see what happens.

Agreed. Considering him & Orton are both free agents next season, it ought to be interesting to see what happens.

My guess, they sign Orton or Rex, just 1 of the 2, long term, but cheap. Something like 5 years, $15 million. They will be the backup (or starter depending on Henne's/Flacco's progression) to Henne/Flacco.

BTW, I have not heard how much we resigned Rex for, has anyone?

I don't think we're drafting Flacco. Too much hype linking the Bears and Flacco which means there's a high probability JA is using him as a smoke screen of the QB we'd really like to have.

Next question is how much cap space will we save when Griese is gone. Going back to LT2's excellent cap analysis it seems we'll take a hit of -$100k when he's gone. I doubt he gets cut before the draft as that would not help us in anyway. Will we be able to trade him for a late round pick after the draft? Or if we draft a QB early in the draft could we trade Griese on day 2 of the draft? He'd make more sense for a team needing a 3rd string QB than going with a 5th Rd draft pick.

I don't think we're drafting Flacco. Too much hype linking the Bears and Flacco which means there's a high probability JA is using him as a smoke screen of the QB we'd really like to have.

Next question is how much cap space will we save when Griese is gone. Going back to LT2's excellent cap analysis it seems we'll take a hit of -$100k when he's gone. I doubt he gets cut before the draft as that would not help us in anyway. Will we be able to trade him for a late round pick after the draft? Or if we draft a QB early in the draft could we trade Griese on day 2 of the draft? He'd make more sense for a team needing a 3rd string QB than going with a 5th Rd draft pick.

That may be. I think Flacco would be gone anyway to Atlanta in round 2, and if not them, maybe Oakland, KC, or Baltimore. Maybe even Carolina. However, if Flacco is still there when we draft, we will probably take him. If not, I wouldn't mind Henne, except I'd probably rather have Flacco more.

Hell yeah, I'd take a 5th rounder for Griese. We got Anderson with a 5th rounder so maybe with 2 we'd strike it rich again...

I am kind of with Flea on this one, I am not sure how I feel about this signing. In a way it is a relief to know that you have someone in there that has shown flashes of greatness, on the other hand it is horrifying to think of suffering through more botched snaps and multiple interception type games. If Rex improves his consistency, he could be special. If he doesn't, he will be no more than a bench warmer.

I don't see us taking a QB in the draft with all of the other needs we have, like OL. I would think we would have to grab one of these great O-tackles that are being discussed so much. We need a major line improvement.

That may be. I think Flacco would be gone anyway to Atlanta in round 2, and if not them, maybe Oakland, KC, or Baltimore. Maybe even Carolina. However, if Flacco is still there when we draft, we will probably take him. If not, I wouldn't mind Henne, except I'd probably rather have Flacco more.

Hell yeah, I'd take a 5th rounder for Griese. We got Anderson with a 5th rounder so maybe with 2 we'd strike it rich again...

If Atlanta doesnt take Matt Ryan in the first he is gonna fall and Brohm will follow him. Oakland just spent a ton of money on Jamarcus Russel no way they take another QB. KC is supposed to be giving Croyle another chance and may not take another QB this early. Baltimore should take a QB in the first round but they are definitely the team that could mess up our plans.

If Atlanta doesnt take Matt Ryan in the first he is gonna fall and Brohm will follow him. Oakland just spent a ton of money on Jamarcus Russel no way they take another QB. KC is supposed to be giving Croyle another chance and may not take another QB this early. Baltimore should take a QB in the first round but they are definitely the team that could mess up our plans.

Right. I forgot about Russell, and my guess it that KC takes Long/Clady with their 1st pick. If they do, then they will probably go with Flacco in round 2, or just wait until round 3 or 4 and take Booty or Brennan. I also think Baltimore could take Ryan with their first pick, but if not, Flacco is all but theirs in round 2.

I just heard about the signing of Rex about 30 minutes ago on ESPNEWS. They are reporting the deal was a 1 yr deal worth 3 million with an additional 2 million in incentives(not sure of the incentives) Total deal can be 5 million. I am personally thinking this is a precursor to resigning Bernard Berrian. I read in yesterdays Chicago Tribune that there was 2 things that BB was wanting in order to get a deal done. He wanted at least fair market value for him(whatever that may be) and also he wanted Rex to be resigned. At least I am hoping that this leads to us resigning BB. I do not even want to think of us going through a year with Mark Bradley as our #1 considering he had a total of 6 catches last year. That is just downright scary.

P.S. Sorry I have been gone so much lately. Work sucks. lol

Kind of rare in the NFL. Good for you Rex! Now go out there and prove the pundits are wrong. :bringit

It's only one year, so it is a pretty good deal for the Bears.

Rex has one last shot, and either he lives up to his potential, or moves on after this year.

Rex Grossman resigning and great deal shouldn't even be used in the same sentence. We have all but been assured by the coaching staff that they are Okay with offensive ineptness and horrible qb pay that makes us the punchline of all media sources. Here's to another year of being ranked 25-32 in the league offensively. I'm sickened by this organization's stupidity. Rex isn't even good enough to hold the second string's jock. Greise ave 100 yrds more in the air than grossman behind our line, and this is greise we're talking about. When will we get REAL MANAGEMENT AND COACHES? :chair

If we draft Henne, I will become a fan of another team. Every single Michigan fan I have talked to (and I live in Michigan) knows he will not be a good NFL QB...mainly because he wasn't even that good of a college QB. He is a pansy. Every time Michigan was down in a clutch situation, he would come out of the game due to injury. Stay away from Henne. For the love of God, please don't pick him.

I like it. A 1 year deal loaded with incentives. What more could you want? If he wins the job and turns out to be Good Rex for vast majority of the season, he'll have proved he's worth a longer higher paying deal. If he can't beat out Orton in camp, having a QB who played us into the SB on our bench isn't too bad. $3 million is peanuts these days.

Interested to see what they do in the draft now. Griese is gone, IMO, but a lot depands on where they go in FA or the draft. I guess this means we won't be chasing McNabb.

Right. I forgot about Russell, and my guess it that KC takes Long/Clady with their 1st pick. If they do, then they will probably go with Flacco in round 2, or just wait until round 3 or 4 and take Booty or Brennan. I also think Baltimore could take Ryan with their first pick, but if not, Flacco is all but theirs in round 2.

KC has no interest in a QB... they are sold on Croyle for at least 1 more year.