The Flacco Love

jason

I've been seeing everyone spooge all over the idea of Flacco for some time now. And, all of the sudden, this guy is flying up the depth chart at the combine like Matt Jones, going from a 4th to a late first.

I can understand if you love the guy and want to draft him, but a late first rounder for someone widely considered a fourth rounder just a month or so ago is absolute lunacy.

I'd be much happier passing of Flacco if it meant the Bears got to A) Keep their picks, and B) Draft non-reach picks with the first two rounds. If Flacco is there in the third, fine, grab him. But since he won't be there, why reach? I'd much rather see an OL, OL, QB draft sequence while keeping our picks, versus some of the other scenarios I've seen around here.

Oh, and before you say it, I know that each pick is a risk. I know that he has "upside". However, that makes him the same as everyone else: we simply don't know.

I'm still hoping that either Colt Brennan or Dennis Dixon fall into the fourth or fifth (maybe beyond), and the Bears wait to grab them there.

I agree with you as I would love to have Flacco in the 3rd and think JA will go OT & WR with first 2 picks. Colt in the late rounds would be a good project QB pickup. Beside the Bears just resigned thier former number 1 QB and have Orton so there is not a pressing need to take an unproven QB higher if there is another prospect that there is a higher grade on.

I would be shocked if Flacco was available when the Bears picked in the 2nd round, which probably means he won't be a Bear. The only QB the Bears would take at 14 is Matt Ryan and I'd be stunned to see him fall that far. With Andre Woodson and Brennan's stock falling, you could maybe see the Bears hold out and wait till day 2 and get a steal with Woodson or Colt (for all of there flaws, they have some pretty good ability).

I've been seeing everyone spooge all over the idea of Flacco for some time now. And, all of the sudden, this guy is flying up the depth chart at the combine like Matt Jones, going from a 4th to a late first.

I can understand if you love the guy and want to draft him, but a late first rounder for someone widely considered a fourth rounder just a month or so ago is absolute lunacy.

I'd be much happier passing of Flacco if it meant the Bears got to A) Keep their picks, and B) Draft non-reach picks with the first two rounds. If Flacco is there in the third, fine, grab him. But since he won't be there, why reach? I'd much rather see an OL, OL, QB draft sequence while keeping our picks, versus some of the other scenarios I've seen around here.

Oh, and before you say it, I know that each pick is a risk. I know that he has "upside". However, that makes him the same as everyone else: we simply don't know.

I'm still hoping that either Colt Brennan or Dennis Dixon fall into the fourth or fifth (maybe beyond), and the Bears wait to grab them there.

He was not a 4th a month ago. he was a 2nd or 3rd a month ago.

Dixon and Brennan do NOTHING for me. Dixon wont even be useful for a year with the injury. I'd rather take Josh Johnson over him. He's a pass first QB that can run like a RB. Dixon looked like a run first QB that tries to pass when he needs to.

Brennan would make me puke. He's Rex with less talent and a worse throwing motion. I could at least live with Dixon.

Matt Jones isn't a good comp. Jones had to learn an entirely new position. The only knock on Flacco is that he comes from a small school. I guess he'd have to transition from a shotgun offense, too, but that's a small thing, and pretty common for qbs.

His footwork is bad so that's another knock.

Dixon and Brennan do NOTHING for me. Dixon wont even be useful for a year with the injury. I'd rather take Josh Johnson over him. He's a pass first QB that can run like a RB. Dixon looked like a run first QB that tries to pass when he needs to.

Brennan would make me puke. He's Rex with less talent and a worse throwing motion. I could at least live with Dixon.

Disagree with me all you want, but Dixon AND Brennan are both system guys. Look at VY- he was in a system where he could succeed real well, and now, he can't do anything, and that will be the same with Dixon. Plus, the ACL tear is a killer. I think he'll go in round 6 or 7. Now onto Colt- another system guy. He needs time, like Rex, he's more accurate then Rex, but his throwing motion is so much worse then Grossman's is.

If we are going to waste a pick on Woodson, Brennan, or Dixon, then we mine as well go with Josh Johnson, who BTW ran a 4.4 40 today.

What's not to like about Flacco? Great size, good mobility and pocket presence, great arm, and is smart. If he fixes his footwork and just gains experience and knowledge in the NFL for a year or two, we are talking about potentially the best QB out of this years draft.

Also, Delware is good enough to be in the FBS and could of beat a lot of FBS schools.

Disagree with me all you want, but Dixon AND Brennan are both system guys. Look at VY- he was in a system where he could succeed real well, and now, he can't do anything, and that will be the same with Dixon. Plus, the ACL tear is a killer. I think he'll go in round 6 or 7. Now onto Colt- another system guy. He needs time, like Rex, he's more accurate then Rex, but his throwing motion is so much worse then Grossman's is.

If we are going to waste a pick on Woodson, Brennan, or Dixon, then we mine as well go with Josh Johnson, who BTW ran a 4.4 40 today.

Isnt that kind of what I said? lol

Matt Jones isn't a good comp. Jones had to learn an entirely new position. The only knock on Flacco is that he comes from a small school. I guess he'd have to transition from a shotgun offense, too, but that's a small thing, and pretty common for qbs.

Matt Jones is a perfect comparison. I'm not talking about on the field ability in the NFL. I'm talking about someone who was relatively average as far as the scouts were concerned, maybe considered good, and then they DESTROYED the combine, and all of the sudden they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Shortly after the season ended, there is no way in hell Flacco was a second. No friggin way. We can maybe agree that he was a third, with the potential and upside, but he was mentioned quite a bit as a sleeper. Sleepers are usually not first day guys. Then the buzz started.

As for Brennan, I tend to disagree. I think he has better talent, a similar throwing motion (albeit a bit worse), but with better height, better potential, and better intangibles than Rex.

Matt Jones is a perfect comparison. I'm not talking about on the field ability in the NFL. I'm talking about someone who was relatively average as far as the scouts were concerned, maybe considered good, and then they DESTROYED the combine, and all of the sudden they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Flacco didn't destroy the combine, not even close. Some thought he was good, but KFFL criticized his accuracy. His buzz has been gathering for a long time now, that's all.

And why not pick Justin Fargas as a guy who killed at the combine? Did you just want to pick someone who failed to make your point? Why not pick someone who stayed at the same position?

What's not to like about Flacco? Great size, good mobility and pocket presence, great arm, and is smart. If he fixes his footwork and just gains experience and knowledge in the NFL for a year or two, we are talking about potentially the best QB out of this years draft.

Also, Delware is good enough to be in the FBS and could of beat a lot of FBS schools.

The main problem I have with him is that with his stock rising he is going to be taken a lot earlier than when we would have wanted to draft a QB and he would ultimately be our Marquee draft pick as opposed to a complimentary one to whatever we took in the first round. That s a big risk to take for a guy like him because the competition he was playing against was nothing spectacular, I know theyre not terrible but it would be interesting to see what he could do against better teams. He couldnt get on the field at Pitt...

The reason why he didn't play at Pitt was because Palko was their guy and he was going to remain their guy until after he graduated... plus, I wouldn't want to play under Wannstedt either :D

Basically, his choices were to back up Palko until his senior year, transfer to a different FBS school but not start right away, or go to a lesser school like Delaware but start right away. I can't blame him for wanting to play right away.

The reason why he didn't play at Pitt was because Palko was their guy and he was going to remain their guy until after he graduated... plus, I wouldn't want to play under Wannstedt either :D

Basically, his choices were to back up Palko until his senior year, transfer to a different FBS school but not start right away, or go to a lesser school like Delaware but start right away. I can't blame him for wanting to play right away.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you b/c I looove Flacco, too, but I think Bomber's question is that if Flacco is so good, then why didn't he start ahead of Palko?

Everyone is not on board with taking Flacco in the first round, or second round for that matter. He's a project QB IMO, one with some good physical talents but he'll need one year at a minimum to contribute but likely at least two. My doubts are also based on his accuracy, or lack thereof and in the NFL that will kill you. Can that improve if his mechanics improve? Likely. Then there's the level of competition he's played against and it's nowhere near as fast as the NFL defenses. Think about what Danieal Manning was like (still is) when it comes to reacting to plays.

If we go with a QB on day two then he should be in the mix but not on day one IMO.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you b/c I looove Flacco, too, but I think Bomber's question is that if Flacco is so good, then why didn't he start ahead of Palko?

Because he was the guy. There have been numerous times where the better player sits frankly because the other guy is the main guy.

I like Flacco, but he IMO is a bigger Orton. (Cannon arm, big & strong, nifty feet, inconsistent mechanics, inconsistent accuracy and enough mobilty to buy time) Thing is I think Orton may be a little smarter. No need for an Orton clone.

I'd take Henne over Flacco (4 year starter, accurate, strong, decent arm, better mechanics, known locker room leader, smart, tough and quicker mobilty)

Shortly after the season ended, there is no way in hell Flacco was a second. No friggin way. We can maybe agree that he was a third, with the potential and upside, but he was mentioned quite a bit as a sleeper. Sleepers are usually not first day guys. Then the buzz started.

As for Brennan, I tend to disagree. I think he has better talent, a similar throwing motion (albeit a bit worse), but with better height, better potential, and better intangibles than Rex.

Shortly after his season ended was about 2 months ago. the Sr. Bowl was about a month ago and he was a solid 3rd and a possible 2nd rounder then. He was NOT a 4th rounder a month ago. In October/November he was but not at the end of the season after taking his team to their national championship game. The buzz was really starting to pick up then which was in December. now he's a solid 2nd and possible 1st.

Flacco didn't destroy the combine, not even close. Some thought he was good, but KFFL criticized his accuracy. His buzz has been gathering for a long time now, that's all.

And why not pick Justin Fargas as a guy who killed at the combine? Did you just want to pick someone who failed to make your point? Why not pick someone who stayed at the same position?

I picked Matt Jones because he was the first guy who I could think of. HE was not nearly as highly regarded before the post season buzz machine started, and next thing you know he's a first rounder.

On a side note, I happen to think the guy still has a ton of talent, but is incredibly underused in Jax.

Shortly after his season ended was about 2 months ago. the Sr. Bowl was about a month ago and he was a solid 3rd and a possible 2nd rounder then. He was NOT a 4th rounder a month ago. In October/November he was but not at the end of the season after taking his team to their national championship game. The buzz was really starting to pick up then which was in December. now he's a solid 2nd and possible 1st.

So, maybe the "one month" thing was a bit off...but you are debating semantics at this point. I think it was clear what I was getting at.

He was a guy thought of as a 4th, maybe 3rd, and now everyone is putting him in late 1st or early 2nd. That spells danger, especially for a guy with Delaware on his resume (not to mention the fact that his highlight films show him constantly throwing behind the WRs).

Because he was the guy. There have been numerous times where the better player sits frankly because the other guy is the main guy.

Do you make things up all the time to make you sound right? My god, the guy can't hit a WR in stride at all, has terrible footwork, bad mechanics, and went to a DI-AA school. Get off his jock.

But hey, he can throw it 74 yards...and Kyle Boller could put it through the goalposts from his knee at the 50-yard line.

Don't get me wrong. If the Bears draft him, I'll root for him to become Dan Marino Jr., but I just don't see it him and I don't get why everyone has been in love with him especially since everyone has fallen in love with him AFTER the season.