First RD POLL

ASHKUM BEAR

Who would you pick if available at 14  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Someone will fall on draft day who would you take?

• Darren McFadden RB
    • Rashard Mendenhall RB
    • Ryan Clady OT
    • Glenn Dorsey DT
    • Sedrick Ellis DT
    • Matt Ryan QB

If Darren McFadden is there at 14, I'll shit a brick if we don't pick him. At the very least, you make a deal to rip off the Cowboys for their picks.

Well yeah, but I'd shit a brick if we took him and kept him. If we do that, we need to make that trade for their 22nd and 28th. We could get Otah who will still be there at 22, and then Hardy at 28.

I was just answering the poll based on if we had to draft and keep the guy. My fault...

Mendenhall or McFadden are my two picks

I think there' a slim chance McFadden could slide to us at 14.

The front runner was Atl until they signed Turner. That leaves Oak who could go Jake Long or a stud DT (Dorsey/Ellis). Next up is NYJ, but they are invested in TJ and have bigger DE needs. Cincy might take RB, but really need help on defense. That leaves Carolina who IMO will select a RB, but may opt for the bigger of the two in Mendenhall. So if McFadden falls to us, do we take him...hmmmmm, or could we possibly call Jerry Jones and make a trade. It would have to be straight up, even though Dal's 22+28=1440 and Chi's 14=1100. With this move Dallas gets McFadden and Chicago get the safer picks they are used to. :drink

1. Baker/Nicks OT

1. Phillips SS/FS

2. Flacco QB

3. K. Smith RB

3. D Avery WR

4. W. Woodyard SS

5. B. Cottam TE Ten

6. B Richardson OT

7. P. Hillis FB

I think there' a slim chance McFadden could slide to us at 14.

The front runner was Atl until they signed Turner. That leaves Oak who could go Jake Long or a stud DT (Dorsey/Ellis). Next up is NYJ, but they are invested in TJ and have bigger DE needs. Cincy might take RB, but really need help on defense. That leaves Carolina who IMO will select a RB, but may opt for the bigger of the two in Mendenhall. So if McFadden falls to us, do we take him...hmmmmm, or could we possibly call Jerry Jones and make a trade. It would have to be straight up, even though Dal's 22+28=1440 and Chi's 14=1100. With this move Dallas gets McFadden and Chicago get the safer picks they are used to. :drink

1. Baker/Nicks OT

1. Phillips SS/FS

2. Flacco QB

3. K. Smith RB

3. D Avery WR

4. W. Woodyard SS

5. B. Cottam TE Ten

6. B Richardson OT

7. P. Hillis FB

How about:

1. Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh

1. James Hardy, WR, Indiana

2. Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State

3. Quinten Demps, S, UTEP

4. Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego

5. Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia

6. Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson

7. Jehuu Culcrick, FB, Michigan State

Why would we need another TE? And Otah will more then likely be there for us at 22.

If Darren McFadden is there at 14, I'll shit a brick if we don't pick him. At the very least, you make a deal to rip off the Cowboys for their picks.

ya, I picked him too, if he slipped that far we would have to be nuts not to take him. If he got to say 10ish I could see Dallas leveraging their two first rounders to get him.

How about:

Why would we need another TE? And Otah will more then likely be there for us at 22.

I like picking Otah, but if DeSean Jackson or Limas Sweed are there, I'd take them over Hardy. Also, if it just so happened that Mendenhall or Phillips fell to that 22nd, we'd be dumb not to pick either.

If we don't draft an O-Lineman...then maybe we'll get a better one when we get a top 10 pick next year because the RB we took couldn't get past the -1 yard line without being hit.

Thank you for being just about the only person in this thread to make sense.

First of all, if the Bears were to select Mendenhall in the first, it would be one of the stupidest damn moves in the history of the draft. I don't care if he's the 2nd best RB, which is debatable. At that point there are going to be better players at OL that the Bears need more.

Secondly, if the Bears were to have McFadden fall to them, the only way drafting him would be a great idea is if they already have the trade worked out with Dallas for the two first rounders.

I'm simply stunned that anyone who isn't blind, and actually watched the games last year, thinks the Bears' problem is at RB. Unless that RB is named Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson (pre injury), or Ladainian Tomlinson, they aren't going to do squat with the Bears' OL from last year.

Thank you for being just about the only person in this thread to make sense.

First of all, if the Bears were to select Mendenhall in the first, it would be one of the stupidest damn moves in the history of the draft. I don't care if he's the 2nd best RB, which is debatable. At that point there are going to be better players at OL that the Bears need more.

Secondly, if the Bears were to have McFadden fall to them, the only way drafting him would be a great idea is if they already have the trade worked out with Dallas for the two first rounders.

I'm simply stunned that anyone who isn't blind, and actually watched the games last year, thinks the Bears' problem is at RB. Unless that RB is named Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson (pre injury), or Ladainian Tomlinson, they aren't going to do squat with the Bears' OL from last year.

Only person? I've been saying that same thing forever as well...

Guest TerraTor

Drafting an OT at #14 this year is absolutely rediculous. We have talent on offense. who the hell would they be protecting. There are guys in FA we need to sign, a franchise RB is our pick this year... Mendenhall my choice, Stewart a close 2nd

Jason, let me start by saying I agree. Let me add that if McFadden were to fall to us, it would mean he has a broken leg. While he might fall a few slots, it is ridiculous to think he falls to us. That is why I had not responded to this poll. While you get some players who are rated top 10 that fall some, it is far more rare to get top 5 players that fall. If you are going to put McFadden in there, why not Jake Long?

W/ it said that I agree though, I am curious what your thoughts are if there is a run at OT, which I think is very possible. If you look at the top 15 in the draft, there are a boat load of teams that could be looking at OT. Not only do I think it a lock Clady will be gone by our pick, but I also think Chris Williams will be gone. Otah seems to be dropping some due to an awful combine. He will be there, but if we do not think he has a chance to be a LT, is he worth the 14th pick. Ditto Cherilius, who I think is a pure RT as well. I think Baker will be a solid LT, but never a great one, and is a reach here.

So do we reach for an OT, which I think is what we would be doing at 14 if Clady and Williams are gone. Do we draft another position, as wel have many needs. Or what? I already know you response will likely be to trade down, but it is easy to say, and not as easy to do. Give me two scenarios. One w/ trade down and one w/o.

For me:

Trade down, but no lower than Dallas, picking up maybe an extra 3rd. I say no lower than Dallas because AZ, Hou, TB and Wash are all potential to go OL, while Pitt is a near lock. I do not want to drop below Pitt. If we stay in front of Pitt, I think we can still get one of the high OL prospects. Besides Otah and Cherilius, I would add Albert, who I actually am starting to like the most. He looks like a pro bowl OG, w/ high ceiling potential at LT. I am fine w/ a trade down, but understand, if you trade down much below Pitt, I think you could then be looking at the likes of Baker as your best available.

If we do not/can not trade down, the choice is to reach at OL or draft value at another position. If Mendenhal is all that, I might go ahead an take him, while going hard after OL after that. In fact, I might use my extra 3rd to try and jump to the top of the 2nd, or even the back of the 1st, and get whoever the best OL available is. While I am all about drafting OL this year, that does not mean I want to reach, and at this point, I think Otah is a reach at 14. At the combine, he showed very slow feet, and the early thoughts that he could potentially play LT basically went out the windown, and as a pure RT/OG, his value simply has dropped some.

Jason, let me start by saying I agree. Let me add that if McFadden were to fall to us, it would mean he has a broken leg. While he might fall a few slots, it is ridiculous to think he falls to us. That is why I had not responded to this poll. While you get some players who are rated top 10 that fall some, it is far more rare to get top 5 players that fall. If you are going to put McFadden in there, why not Jake Long?

W/ it said that I agree though, I am curious what your thoughts are if there is a run at OT, which I think is very possible. If you look at the top 15 in the draft, there are a boat load of teams that could be looking at OT. Not only do I think it a lock Clady will be gone by our pick, but I also think Chris Williams will be gone. Otah seems to be dropping some due to an awful combine. He will be there, but if we do not think he has a chance to be a LT, is he worth the 14th pick. Ditto Cherilius, who I think is a pure RT as well. I think Baker will be a solid LT, but never a great one, and is a reach here.

So do we reach for an OT, which I think is what we would be doing at 14 if Clady and Williams are gone. Do we draft another position, as wel have many needs. Or what? I already know you response will likely be to trade down, but it is easy to say, and not as easy to do. Give me two scenarios. One w/ trade down and one w/o.

For me:

Trade down, but no lower than Dallas, picking up maybe an extra 3rd. I say no lower than Dallas because AZ, Hou, TB and Wash are all potential to go OL, while Pitt is a near lock. I do not want to drop below Pitt. If we stay in front of Pitt, I think we can still get one of the high OL prospects. Besides Otah and Cherilius, I would add Albert, who I actually am starting to like the most. He looks like a pro bowl OG, w/ high ceiling potential at LT. I am fine w/ a trade down, but understand, if you trade down much below Pitt, I think you could then be looking at the likes of Baker as your best available.

If we do not/can not trade down, the choice is to reach at OL or draft value at another position. If Mendenhal is all that, I might go ahead an take him, while going hard after OL after that. In fact, I might use my extra 3rd to try and jump to the top of the 2nd, or even the back of the 1st, and get whoever the best OL available is. While I am all about drafting OL this year, that does not mean I want to reach, and at this point, I think Otah is a reach at 14. At the combine, he showed very slow feet, and the early thoughts that he could potentially play LT basically went out the windown, and as a pure RT/OG, his value simply has dropped some.

There's a reason I keep mentioning the Payton, Sanders, Jackson, Tomlinson group. I happen to think that McFadden could be another one. IF he falls to the Bears, it means he is injured - like you said - and is no longer in that group. With that said, I'm not including him in the scenarios.

As for scenarios if there is a run on OL and none are left:

1) You already know that I'd trade down as option 1. I'm not sure on the trade value chart, and don't care to look it up, but a late first and late second are probably pretty close. I'd like the Bears to do something like that.

2) Let's say there is a run on OLinemen. To me, this means that the following players (more or less) are gone before the Bears make a selection (which I HIGHLY doubt):

Chris Long, Vernon Gholston DE

Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, Chris Williams OL

Matt Ryan, QB

Darren McFadden, RB

Glen Dorsey, DT

Leodis McKelvin, Mike Jenkins CB

Top WR (maybe Malcolm Kelly), WR

Keith Rivers, LB or Cromartie, CB - can't decide who to fill in there

Well, if that scenario plays out, which it won't, and the Bears can't trade down, then I would want the Bears to select the highest ranked WR on their board, which would hopefully be Limas Sweed. I'd hate to see him go so early, because it would be a reach, but I'd rather see that than another first round RB.

At least that way when the Bears OL sucks because of the OL draft craziness, the QB, whoever he may be, can throw bullets into Sweed's hands from 5-10 yards away. Also, this would give the Bears one of the most formidable physical receiving combos in the NFL (Sweed & Olsen).

And if that does happen, then the Bears need to draft OL with their next two selections.

If McFadden is still there at 14 and we dont take him it be be the biggest draft mistake in the history of the NFL. Peterson going to the Vikes at the 7 spot blows my mind away. Shit we got CB at the 4 spot. How in the F does that work out.

MCFADDEN IS GOING TO BE JUST AS GOOD AS PERTERSON

Not if the team he goes to has no OL, like the Bears

How about:

We usually keep 3 TE's on the roster. Olsen, Clark, and ?

If we don't pick up a blocking TE in FA, I'd target Cottam in the draft

Brad Cottam, Tennessee

Height: 6-7. Weight: 270.

Projected 40 Time: 4.68.

Combine 40 Time: 4.68.

Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 33.

Brad Cottam ran a really impressive 40 at his size and looked fluid in the drills.

A monstrous tight end with decent size, Brad Cottam could be the best blocker at his position in this class.

Rashard is going to be a guaranteed 1,000 yard rusher from day 1 and he's also going to catch some passes out of the backfield as well which can make him a dual threat. If it were between him and McFadden I'd probably take Mendenhall mainly because of the size and me getting to watch him every single Saturday tear it up in the Big Ten and against USC in his last game.

Rashard is going to be a guaranteed 1,000 yard rusher from day 1 and he's also going to catch some passes out of the backfield as well which can make him a dual threat. If it were between him and McFadden I'd probably take Mendenhall mainly because of the size and me getting to watch him every single Saturday tear it up in the Big Ten and against USC in his last game.

The one thing that scares me about Mendy is that he only had 1 real good year. In his first 2 seasons, he couldn't even get 1000 yards combined.

While I am all for fixing the OL in the draft this year if the best LT prospects are gone when we pick we have to look at other options before reaching on somebody. If you can get a guy that has a chance to be a special player, or say has a ceiling of being a Pro Bowl players, then you have to take him versus reaching to fill a need position.

We're all keyed in on having success this year but we also have to have some vision for the long haul. This all goes back to the draft strategy threads that always show up ....best player or best player for your need? IMO the value of who you pick has to have some correlation to where you are picking.

I prefer great LT and average RB combo versus the other way around but if I can't get the great left tackle I'll take the great RB and put him behind an average LT. At least I've got one great and one average player versus two average ones. Elite players change the game for everyone around them and there are plenty of examples around the league where average players standout because the great player. Is Mendenhall going to be a great player? What he did against USC I didn't see anyone else do to them all year long. I never saw Stewart run like that and I watched him in a lot of games.

I'm starting to prepare myself that if one of the top LTs in the draft don't fall to us JA will be content to just draft a very good RT prospect in Rd 2 and we'll see Tait at LT again. That means Rd 1 is wide open to fill one of many other needs.