Bears just might be interested in Jones

vegas1211

Per the rumor mill at ESPN.com John Clayton is reporting that the Bears amongst other teams may have interest in Julius Jones.

Jones, widely considered the top running back left on the free-agent market, has visited Detroit, Tennessee and Seattle. He's also considering trips to CHICAGO and Philadelphia, according to Clayton.

With starting running back Kevin Jones coming off knee surgery, the Lions are looking for insurance at the position. The Seahawks might be looking to phase out Shaun Alexander and feature a running back duo of Jones and T.J. Duckett, who was signed recently.

In four seasons with Dallas, Jones rushed for 3,484 yards on 885 carries.

I'd personally love the pick-up. At least he's had experience as a #1 and would provide an alternative to Benson. If the cost wasn't too outrageous, it would be a win-win. Either we gain a new starting RB, or we light a fire under Benson's ass because he'd finally have REAL competition.

Jones averaged 3.6 YPC behind the Dallas OL last year. Once in his career he had over 4 YPC for a year. he'll be lucky to get 3 behind the Bears OL. Jones was given all the chances to be the man in Dallas. there are a TON of weapons around him and they have a very good OL.

The ONLY way this makes sense is if Benson is cut.

I'll take someone that has real potential in the draft.

Jones averaged 3.6 YPC behind the Dallas OL last year. Once in his career he had over 4 YPC for a year. he'll be lucky to get 3 behind the Bears OL. Jones was given all the chances to be the man in Dallas. there are a TON of weapons around him and they have a very good OL.

Completely agree. It makes absolutely no sense to me. If the Bears wanted a Jones, they should have kept Thomas. He's better than Julius anyway.

No sense whatsoever.

good pickup by Seattle... I wonder if they are gonna keep Morris still now though. We can officially eliminate RB as a draft area for them.

Now they (Seattle) have two halfway decent RB's through FA (Duckett being the other) and still Alexander. Probably see more of the Seahawks in the coming seasons..especially if they (Bears) make it into the playoffs with regularity!! Like they should!!!

What the HECK with the Lloyd signing? I have to agree with Terra Tor on the ridiculousnous in this one. Why not hold out for someone like Fitzgerald who could become available. If not, then still hold out...geez...what a waste.

I have to agree with Terra Tor on the ridiculousnous in this one.
Why not hold out for someone like Fitzgerald who could become available.

If you think Fitzgerald will become available, you should agree with Terra Tor more often. Otherwise, please come back to the light.

If you think Fitzgerald will become available, you should agree with Terra Tor more often. Otherwise, please come back to the light.

My first read of the day and you definitely got me laughing Mongo ! :notworthy "agree with Terra Tor more often" wish I'd said that!

Jones signed a 4 year deal for 14 million, with 3 million guaranteed. That's slightly more then what Thomas signed for.

I've have LOVED for us to sign Jones, draft a running-back fairly early, and dump Cedric's ass.

That was a good value signing. I think the writing is one the wall for the Bears drafting a RB in the first couple rounds. This is a draft that in the 3rd rd, it is probable that you draft a mid to early 2nd round grade type of guy and in the 2nd round you could be drafting a top 20 grade guy (given the extreme depth at the RB position this year).

They have indicated all off-season, including poor play and injury/attitude issues with Benson that they are not happy with the RB spot. Obviously the RB game will get better if you address the oline, but you also have to consider addressing the RB position (you gave a player a chance and he failed, now you need to bring in another possible option). If Felix Jones/Jonathan Stewart are around close to where the Bears pick in Rd 2, than they need to do what they can to make a play for them.

The other option of course would be to bring in a veteran to push Benson, with the idea that you put your faith in the veteran and Benson being good enough in a worse case scenario and in a best case scenario the vet pushes Benson into being the player everyone thought he could be. If Benson doesn't succeed, you move on at the end of the season and either use your cap room on a starter or use your 1st rd pick.

That vet would be Shaun Alexander, who will be released by the Seahawks. He isn't as effective, but if you gave him limited carries (10-15 a game) with Benson getting carries it could be effective enough to work and allow the Bears to focus on WR/Oline/QB with the first 4 picks in the draft.

You know you have a problem with your RB when you have to bring in someone else to push him or light a fire under him. With the Depth at RB in this years draft I think it's a good bet Jerry will spend a pick on a RB at some point and I would venture a guess would be in the early rounds. There just isn't anyone left in FA that I'm all that interested in. But then again maybe we get lucky like Green Bay and find someone out of no where. I would almost bet that Jerry is regretting the Jones deal. The position has to be addressed. I've seen enough to know that I'm ready to see Benson gone. Could Benson hold any trade value at all? I've not spent a lot of time this offseason looking reports and mock drafts to formulate any opinions who would be a good target in the draft. Jerry is under pressure to get the running game fixed and improved from last year. That means addressing the line and the RB position. But as far as Benson goes the only time he looked like he had potential was when Thomas Jones was here and he was fighting for playing time. You hand him the job and he fails. Right or wrong at some point you had to see what he could give you as the starter and it's been less than impressive. Just as one of the scouting reports on him prior to the draft mentioned concerns over commitment, work ethic, and attitude. Could Benson end up being part of a draft day trade or even traded prior to? Or do you keep him for depth and bring in a FA/Draft pick to compete for the starting Job. However this goes, I will be upset if we enter next season and Seabass is just handed the starting spot again.