RB Forte to work out for Bears

GakMan23

Guest TerraTor
Bears | Forte to work out for team

Mon, 17 Mar 2008 15:22:56 -0700

J.J. Pesavento, of Next Level Scouting, reports University of Tulane RB Matt Forte will work out for the Chicago Bears next week.

Nice this guy looks really tuff, tho since hes in Chicago, i suppose we wont be drafting him, haha

If we draft him he must wear #40.

Considering that they retired this number for the Kansas City Comet a long time ago, I would be opposed to bringing it down from its rightful position of retirement for a wannabe prospect.

Guest TerraTor
If we want him we'd have to likely use our 2nd rounder on him and, while I really like Forte, we have bigger needs to address first.

ya we need to get some lineman that Benson can fall behind. And sit next to on the bench when he takes himself out.

Considering that they retired this number for the Kansas City Comet a long time ago, I would be opposed to bringing it down from its rightful position of retirement for a wannabe prospect.

No way would I give him 40...How about 39?

Jeff Joniak - "And now introducing your Chicago Bears starting running back, #39 Forte!!!!"

Last I heard, he is not a projected 2nd rounder. One of our 3rds should suffice.

I think he was originally considered a 3-4 rd pick but after a good Senior Bowl, Combine, and Pro Day his stock is rising.

From nfldraftscout.com

03/13/08 - Tailback Matt Forte, whose draft stock has been soaring in recent weeks, only performed running back drills, choosing to stand on his 40-yard dash time and other workout performances from last month's NFL combine.

02/12/08 - All-Star Game Risers Team: RB Matt Forte (Tulane): As if his 2,127 yards last season weren't enough, Forte continued his climb up draft boards with a solid week of practices at the Senior Bowl and an MVP performance in the game. His size (6'1", 221), strong inside running, and quick feet are reminiscent of Jamal Lewis and Jerome Bettis. He's not a liability in the passing game, however, as he caught over 100 balls during his career at Tulane and displayed those hands in Mobile.

02/11/08 - PRO POTENTIAL: RB Matt Forte benefited from the coaching change in 2007. Running backs in spread offenses don't often translate into productive pros so the move from the spread to the West Coast offense did Forte a big favor. Not only did he emerge as the nation's leading rusher but he showed what he could do in a more traditional pro-style offense, often against eight- and nine-man fronts. He started the season as a likely third- or fourth-round pick but his stock his on the rise. He continued to help himself in the Senior Bowl with his ability to work his way through a crowd and showed a decent burst after contact. Forte got a chance to show off his receiving skills and made a positive impression in that area as well.

I think he was originally considered a 3-4 rd pick but after a good Senior Bowl, Combine, and Pro Day his stock is rising.

From nfldraftscout.com

03/13/08 - Tailback Matt Forte, whose draft stock has been soaring in recent weeks, only performed running back drills, choosing to stand on his 40-yard dash time and other workout performances from last month's NFL combine.

02/12/08 - All-Star Game Risers Team: RB Matt Forte (Tulane): As if his 2,127 yards last season weren't enough, Forte continued his climb up draft boards with a solid week of practices at the Senior Bowl and an MVP performance in the game. His size (6'1", 221), strong inside running, and quick feet are reminiscent of Jamal Lewis and Jerome Bettis. He's not a liability in the passing game, however, as he caught over 100 balls during his career at Tulane and displayed those hands in Mobile.

02/11/08 - PRO POTENTIAL: RB Matt Forte benefited from the coaching change in 2007. Running backs in spread offenses don't often translate into productive pros so the move from the spread to the West Coast offense did Forte a big favor. Not only did he emerge as the nation's leading rusher but he showed what he could do in a more traditional pro-style offense, often against eight- and nine-man fronts. He started the season as a likely third- or fourth-round pick but his stock his on the rise. He continued to help himself in the Senior Bowl with his ability to work his way through a crowd and showed a decent burst after contact. Forte got a chance to show off his receiving skills and made a positive impression in that area as well.

Good info. I'll admit, I've never seen him play. Nfldraftcountdown has him listed as a full-back. Is he a Mike Alstott type or what? Just curious. Like I said, I don't know much about him.

From nfldraftscout.com

You don't have to convince me. I think he's pretty good and have him in my mock draft. I just ain't buyin' in the 2nd round. Nothing you have said has him projected there either.

Good info. I'll admit, I've never seen him play. Nfldraftcountdown has him listed as a full-back. Is he a Mike Alstott type or what? Just curious. Like I said, I don't know much about him.

I haven't really seen him play either, other than a few plays in the Senior Bowl.

The bio on him says he is built like Bettis and Jamal Lewis. Big back with quick feet.

You don't have to convince me. I think he's pretty good and have him in my mock draft. I just ain't buyin' in the 2nd round. Nothing you have said has him projected there either.

Yeah, I was just posting that info showing that his stock was on the rise. I don't know where he will go. I was just thinking that if he was considered a 3rd or 4th rounder before the Senior Bowl, combine, and pro day and he is considered to have improved his draft spot, then him moving into the 2nd wouldn't be unrealistic.

That being said, I think there may just be too many decent rb's that he would have to jump ahead of to be taken that early.

The latest nfldc mock has him going in the 2nd. To the Packers, whose fans find that a ridiculous pick, which I tend to agree with. Still, his stock is high enough that it's looking possible he'll go in the 2nd.

Have anything to back that up?

Okay, he's not a midget like Rice. He's not a frail WR playing RB who can only run to the outside like Slaton. He's not as slow as Smith. And he's got much more starting potential then Choice.

lol Anything tangible or just your "expert" analysis?

Okay, at 5'8" and 199/200, Ray Rice is just about an inch above Garrett Wolfe. He is heavier and has drawn comparisons to Mo Jones-Drew, but is no where the back Jones-Drew is. He does have good 4.44 speed, but Forte's 4.46 speed at 6'1" 215 is much more impressive.

Steve Slaton is pretty much Garrett Wolfe but 2 inches taller and 10 lbs. heavier. He has moves and speed (only clocked in at 4.44 at the combine), but offers nothing as an inside runner. And, like I said, he has been even looked at as a WR.

Kevin Smith, I like, but he's not as good as Forte. But he's a lot slower on the field and off (clocked in at 4.6). He has real good vision tough and does a lot of things well. And, he's got a ton a milledge on him to.

Tashard Choice is in the same boat as Smith. While he is good at everything, he doesn't excell at anything and has little upside. Forte's upside is miles above Choice's, who projects mainly as a backup.