Urlacher changing positions?

windbar

from Profootballtalk.com

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

URLACHER WAS GOING TO CHANGE POSITIONS

Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2008, 11:17 a.m.

We’ve continued over the past couple of days to try to find out what precisely went down between the San Francisco 49ers and the Chicago Bears regarding the whole Lance Briggs thing, which culminated this week in a finding that the Niners must forfeit a fifth-round pick and flip-flop third-round selections with the Bears.

It generally has been difficult to track down information, and much of what we’ve obtained has been on “background” (a term that we still don’t fully understand because we aren’t, you know, actual journalists). But we’ve picked up one interesting nugget from multiple sources regarding the changes that would have been made if Briggs had been shipped to the 49ers.

Specifically, we’re told that middle linebacker Brian Urlacher had been told that he’d be moving to Briggs’ position of weakside linebacker.

The disclosure apparently was made to Urlacher while the trade was still a possibility, before the Bears and the 49ers realized that the failure of Briggs to sign his one-year franchise tender prior to July 15 prevented the 49ers from signing Briggs to a long-term deal.

We’ve also heard from multiple sources that the Bears proceeded with tampering charges not because they hoped to scare the Niners away from pursuing Briggs in free agency, but because the Bears believed that, once Briggs learned of the failed trade, his performance decreased dramatically.

It’s still unclear how Briggs found out about the failed trade. Some presume that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told him about it. Others believe that, once coach Lovie Smith told Urlacher that he’d be changing positions, word of the looming transaction inevitably got around the locker room.

Though we’ve accepted the fact that it will be impossible to determine the precise evidence that supported a finding of tampering, we’re still troubled by the fact that the Niners apparently got in trouble for attempting to work out a new contract with Rosenhaus in conjunction with a trade that would have sent a first-round pick to the Bears in exchange for Briggs’ services.

Surely, the Bears didn’t think that the 49ers would give up a first-round draft pick for the ability to rent Briggs for the balance of the 2007 season, with no guarantee that they’d retain his services for 2008. So even is the Bears didn’t formally grant the Niners permission to talk to Rosenhaus, it was at least implied that an effort would be made to get Briggs’ agreement on a new contract, especially if the trade talks were unfolding not long before the deadline for doing a deal.

I just read that too...

Not sure what to make of it. I know many of us had been talking about that possibility actually for many years. I guess if it helps Urlacher and the team, why not?

But I imagine this is just rumor talk...at least for this season.

from Profootballtalk.com

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

URLACHER WAS GOING TO CHANGE POSITIONS

Posted by Mike Florio on March 26, 2008, 11:17 a.m.

We’ve continued over the past couple of days to try to find out what precisely went down between the San Francisco 49ers and the Chicago Bears regarding the whole Lance Briggs thing, which culminated this week in a finding that the Niners must forfeit a fifth-round pick and flip-flop third-round selections with the Bears.

It generally has been difficult to track down information, and much of what we’ve obtained has been on “background” (a term that we still don’t fully understand because we aren’t, you know, actual journalists). But we’ve picked up one interesting nugget from multiple sources regarding the changes that would have been made if Briggs had been shipped to the 49ers.

Specifically, we’re told that middle linebacker Brian Urlacher had been told that he’d be moving to Briggs’ position of weakside linebacker.

The disclosure apparently was made to Urlacher while the trade was still a possibility, before the Bears and the 49ers realized that the failure of Briggs to sign his one-year franchise tender prior to July 15 prevented the 49ers from signing Briggs to a long-term deal.

We’ve also heard from multiple sources that the Bears proceeded with tampering charges not because they hoped to scare the Niners away from pursuing Briggs in free agency, but because the Bears believed that, once Briggs learned of the failed trade, his performance decreased dramatically.

It’s still unclear how Briggs found out about the failed trade. Some presume that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told him about it. Others believe that, once coach Lovie Smith told Urlacher that he’d be changing positions, word of the looming transaction inevitably got around the locker room.

Though we’ve accepted the fact that it will be impossible to determine the precise evidence that supported a finding of tampering, we’re still troubled by the fact that the Niners apparently got in trouble for attempting to work out a new contract with Rosenhaus in conjunction with a trade that would have sent a first-round pick to the Bears in exchange for Briggs’ services.

Surely, the Bears didn’t think that the 49ers would give up a first-round draft pick for the ability to rent Briggs for the balance of the 2007 season, with no guarantee that they’d retain his services for 2008. So even is the Bears didn’t formally grant the Niners permission to talk to Rosenhaus, it was at least implied that an effort would be made to get Briggs’ agreement on a new contract, especially if the trade talks were unfolding not long before the deadline for doing a deal.

Personally, not even worth discussing. Made up dribble. No facts to back it up, a lot of speculation, and when you look at some of the things said, unbelievable.

I am sure that this fact did not elude the 49ers or the Bears.

It’s still unclear how Briggs found out about the failed trade.

Hell, everyone knew of the failed trade talks. We knew about it.

Surely, the Bears didn’t think that the 49ers would give up a first-round draft pick for the ability to rent Briggs for the balance of the 2007 season, with no guarantee that they’d retain his services for 2008.

Where did this come from? I never heard from any source that a 1st rounder was being considered in the trade. I do not think the trade talks ever got that far. Of course, I am sure the Bears wanted at least a 1st, but I would also guess that they would have taken less if it meant losing him without compensation. Hell, if the trade was finalized and details worked out, give us the whole deal. It never got finalized.

PFT.com is fun for those starving for something to read when bored. However, when reading this stuff they post one should take it for what it is, speculation and fictional work of someone trying to lure readers to their site with sensationalism unfounded by fact.

They are like the prognosticator who makes a hundred predictions, hits on 10, widely publicizes his hits, and sweeps the misses under the rug hoping no one remembers.

They are like the WWF - for entertainment purposes only, not to be viewed as anything other than a bunch of highly skilled and well trained athletes playing their parts in an adult soap opera - or in the case of PFT, skilled writers pulling the chains of fans desperate for anything new about their team.

HOGWASH

I think the second most fascinating aspect of it (behind Urlacher changing positions) is that the Bears reportedly felt Briggs performance dropped off "dramatically".

There doesn't seem to be a drop-off in stats even though he had 2 big games earlier in the year (16 tackles vs GB and 11 tackles + 1 sack vs KC). He also had zero sacks in the 2nd half.

Now looking at his numbers, it is hard to believe he made the Pro Bowl over Urlacher.

I'm anxious to find out what exactly happened that caused San Fran to get punished. Even the rumors seem to be fairly tight lipped. My guess is that the 49ers contacted Briggs during the season. That'd make a helluva a lot more sense as to why San Fran was slapped, as opposed to just have contact with a guy.

This was during the season and the Bears were working on a trade with the 49ers before the trade deadline. SF apparently contacted Briggs about the trade when the Bears wanted to keep things behind the scenes. Teams often have trade talks and they typically prefer the players aren't aware of them until they have agreed on a deal. I suspect the Bears and 49ers didn't yet finalize the deal when they contacted Briggs. Then for whatever reason the deal didn't go through. That might have been because Briggs told them he wouldn't sign a new deal before the end of the season. Or he could have just flat out said I don't want to play for you and will just leave after the season. Nobody knows at this point except those involved but it seems clear the Bears felt they had a deal and the contact with Briggs nixed it.