Branden Albert Moving UP

AZ54

I'm hearing a lot of chatter about Albert moving up into the top 10 on draft boards. If this happens it should mean we're able to draft one of the top 3 LT. If Albert is still there for us at 14 it sounds more and more like that's a solid pick for us too.

Just listened to an interview of his. When asked what NFL player he feels he is most similar to, he said Walter Jones. Nice.

One thing I do find interesting about that is, Jones is considered one of, if not the best LT in the game. He had a plethera of OGs to compare himself to, but compared himself instead to a LT.

I said some time back to watch for Albert to move up. He is far and away the best OG in the draft, and finished the season playing LT. He is viewed as having the footwork and athleticism to play LT in the NFL, but the downside appears to be a stud OG. That sort of versatility is one thing I really like about him. Play him this year inside w/ a look to move him to LT next year.

Ironic how I have been blasted for talking about him as he was considered such a reach, and recent talks now have him as high as a potential top 10 pick. Last time that happened (personal) was when I wanted Freeney, and was ridiculed for wanting to reach for him w/ our late 1st, then Denver took him at like 11 or 12. I don't know if Albert will be there for us or not, but more and more, I like the outlook for us at OL this year. Jake Long will be long gone, but w/ Clady, Williams, Albert and Otah as well looking like solid or better values, our options look very good this year.

Ironic how I have been blasted for talking about him as he was considered such a reach, and recent talks now have him as high as a potential top 10 pick. Last time that happened (personal) was when I wanted Freeney, and was ridiculed for wanting to reach for him w/ our late 1st, then Denver took him at like 11 or 12. I don't know if Albert will be there for us or not, but more and more, I like the outlook for us at OL this year. Jake Long will be long gone, but w/ Clady, Williams, Albert and Otah as well looking like solid or better values, our options look very good this year.

1 - I have been saying I would have no issue with drafting Albert at 14.

2 - Freeney was drafted by Indy.

Peace :bears

I think Albert's rise has not been because teams view him as a guard, but rather teams are viewing him as in fact a tackle.

At 6-7, 310 lbs, the guy is built more like a tackle then a guard. Although there have been questions about his motivation.

Either way, I'd be shocked as hell if he went in the top 10. That being said, if the Bears view him as the top o-line talent available, I'd be happy with it.

I would be very happy with Alberts even happier if we were able to move down a little to get him. I really like his abillity to move his feet and get to the next level to block. I really do not see th eBears passing on an OT with the 14th since they have not addressed the OL in FA. I imagine they will go OL, then best avaible with the 2nd round RB, OG, WR then look to add some depth in the 3rd.

Albert would be a perfect fit. Could start at LG for a year or two, and then eventually take over at LT for Tait. St. Clair would likely get the RT job though, but we could draft someone to give him some competition.

Now, the big decision here is do we trade down with someone like Jacksonville and get that extra 2nd rounder and take Cherilus who would likely be the safer choice who could start right away, or do we stay put and go for the upside Albert can bring?

2 - Freeney was drafted by Indy.

Saw your comment and had to look back at what I said. Man, what a dumbass. I guess I was thinking about Denver picking 12th this year, but whatever.

So has your board changed at all?

Has Clady dropped due to the wonderlick? Has Williams moved up or down? Otah?

Wonderlick aside, I still see Clady as #2. I also still have Williams #3, but I'll be honest. Albert is closing the gap.

I still like Otah, but the only reason I still have the rest ahead of him is I just do not see him at LT.

Now, the big decision here is do we trade down with someone like Jacksonville and get that extra 2nd rounder and take Cherilus who would likely be the safer choice who could start right away, or do we stay put and go for the upside Albert can bring?

No brainer, at least to me. I have no issue w/ Cherilius except there is no chance of him playing RT, at least according to everything I have read. In all the other OL we are talking about, even Otah to some extent, there is a potential LT in the mix. To me, you take the guy who has the potential to play LT.

Saw your comment and had to look back at what I said. Man, what a dumbass. I guess I was thinking about Denver picking 12th this year, but whatever.

So has your board changed at all?

Has Clady dropped due to the wonderlick? Has Williams moved up or down? Otah?

Wonderlick aside, I still see Clady as #2. I also still have Williams #3, but I'll be honest. Albert is closing the gap.

I still like Otah, but the only reason I still have the rest ahead of him is I just do not see him at LT.

Actually all 22 offensive and defensive starters for the Colts last year were drafted by them. Thats a hell of a feat. You would think a GM can live on that resume forever.

One thing I do find interesting about that is, Jones is considered one of, if not the best LT in the game. He had a plethera of OGs to compare himself to, but compared himself instead to a LT.
I'd do the same thing if was him. $$$$$ Left tackles, QB's and shutdown corners make all the money and are the hardest commodities to find. Great work from his agent.

I said some time back to watch for Albert to move up. He is far and away the best OG in the draft, and finished the season playing LT. He is viewed as having the footwork and athleticism to play LT in the NFL, but the downside appears to be a stud OG. That sort of versatility is one thing I really like about him. Play him this year inside w/ a look to move him to LT next year.
I like this line of thinking only if we draft a tackle as well.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. Trust me, I'll remember if turns out to be a Matt Jones and you'll get re-blasted just for fun. Kiper had him at #5 which I think is a pipe dream from a blow hard, but Kirwan had him around #9 and his opinion I do respect. He is climbing some boards and staying around #22 in others, but I still question the basis of his rise. Was he that good when he moved out to tackle or was he raw but showed promise? Why, all of the sudden are people falling in love with his OT skills playing only two games? For now, I still take Clady or Williams over Albert.

Actually all 22 offensive and defensive starters for the Colts last year were drafted by them. Thats a hell of a feat. You would think a GM can live on that resume forever.

Polian is the best and has been for over a decade. He will retire a Colt unless Irsay runs out of money. He could have listened to the experts and drafted Ryan Leaf instead of Manning. He also drafted Edgerrin James when the experts said Ricky Williams. He also was panned for drafting Marvin Harrison, who was deemed by some too small to ever be significant. (In a draft with Moose, Keyshawn, T.O.,Toomer, Moulds and Terry Glenn) And the, alleged, monster reach of Dwight Freeney. When he needs something, he simply picks the best. Oh yeah, Bob Sanders was drafted too high as well.(Too short)

Kiper's new mock (free at espn.com) has him going at 5 to the Chiefs. Which seems a little insane, but that's Mel.

I don't know. Before the combine and workouts, he was considered a 20-25 pick value. Then more and more talk about him at LT surfaced, and he seemed to move into our territory. More recently, there has been talk of him actually going in the 8-12 range.

5 does seem high, but I am assuming Long is gone. After Long, I would still think Clady, but there may be a believe that he is a better fit for KC's system then Clady.

IMHO, this is just fine by me. The way I see it, Albert's move up only means another OL moves down.

from what I've heard, the Chiefs have very little interest in Clady as they don't think he fits their system, which is very understandable, and they are actually more interested in Otah and Albert. Of course the Chiefs would love to trade down if Long is gone, but if they can't I could see them taking either Albert or Otah. They might not be worth the no. 5 overall pick, but neither was Levi Brown last year.

K. Brown looks like an excellent prospect -- what round is he projected to be drafted?

sometime in the 4-6 range, but he seems like the type some team falls in love with and then and drafts earlier then most (fans and experts) expect.