The Roger Goodell thread

balta1701-A

With the 9 pick in the 2008 draft, the Cincinnati Bengals have selected Sedrick Ellis from USC.

The New Orleans Saints are now on the clock.

With the 10th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select...Leodis McKelvin, Troy.

Balta and the Buffalo Bills are now officially on the clock.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detroit has many needs from what I have read.

Their OL sucks as bad as ours. Their yds per carry by RBs was the 2nd worst in the NFL last year.

They have suffered with CB coverage ever since trading away Dre' Bly

They have no effective pass rush and need a DE

They have an OLB playing out of position at MLB and need a true Tampa 2 type of Mike

They need a RB bad, having released Kevin Jones.

If either of the top 3 RB prospects were still available I would definitely have selected one here. Unfortunately for the Lions none made it to their slot in the draft and none of the other backs would be a smart selection at 15.

OL is deep and can be found in later rounds. DE & ILB are interesting prospects here but IMO the best value here is at CB. Very seldom do you get a chance to select a CB in the draft that is capable of starting as a rookie and make an impact. I feel that in this case, Detroit would be foolish to pass on a chance to resolve this area of need.

Therefore with the 15th selection of the draft, Detroit selects:

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Tennessee St.

16 Arizona Cardinals - ParkerBear7 - you are on the clock......

Minnesota has many needs.

DE - OL Depth - DT depth - QB to develop behind Jackson (current backup is Bollinger) - TE that can be a downfield threat for Jackson.

After reading around the internet and checking out various mock drafts, it seems most feel Defensive end is the number one need for the Vikings.

One site stated it this way:

Minnesota was in the market for a top pass rusher even before it was revealed that Kenechi Udeze would likely miss at least the 2008 season while he battles leukemia so after striking out on free agents like Justin Smith and Antwan Odom they'll have to rely on the draft to fill that hole

All three mocks I saw (NFL Draftcountdown, Footballsfuture, Draft Tek Simulation) had Minny selecting a DE in the first round, 2 having them select D Harvey & 1 P Merling.

Some sites have Merling the #3 DE in the draft and Harvey #4. Some reverse the order.

My understanding is many are thinking Merling may slip down the boards because he has had injury problems and this has kept him from working out for the scouts.

Therefore I will select for the Minnesota Vikings with the 17th selection of the 2008 draft:

Derrick Harvey DE Florida

Next up: 18 Houston Texans - DabearsDabomb

I have to go into work this morning for a few hours to finish up the work on my Team that I supervise. Had to take some time off do to some health problems and that is why I was around for the past couple of days (decided to audition for the Summer Olympics gymnastics team, did some somersaults and cartwheels down a slope in my back yard only to have my progress stopped by a large immovable object just as I was picking up some good speed, LOL).

Anyway, if Tampa Bay goes on the clock before I finish, just thought I would let you all know that I hope to be back by noon and will make my selection at that time. Hopefully by disclosing this the teams following Tampa will be advised that they will be on the clock at about that time.

The Houston Texans would have liked to grab a RB, but with Mendenhall, Stewart, and McFadden off the boards I was unwilling to reach on Felix Jones (however, consider me on the board when it comes to moving up in the draft to target a RB).

Therefor I went with what I felt was the next biggest need at CB and have selected CB Aquib Talib from Kansas. There are some off the field questions but nothing which the Texans deemed to be too problematic and the kid has done nothing but make plays at the collegiate level and has the tools to make plays at the professional level.

Since some of their other targets have already been selected (Devin Thomas - WR) and with the recent run on CB's, the Eagles pick comes down to OT and S. With the draft being fairly deep for OL picks, the Eagles look to improve on the defensive side of the ball with one of the best players available.

With the 19th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select Kenny Phillips, Safety, from University of Miami (FL).

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Pixote are now on the clock.............

Kenny Phillips profile:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/kenny-phillips?id=1375

Tampa Bay as I see them:

CB – lost Kelly, lots of age and no depth, a definite need

WR – Galloway is 37, Clayton & Hilliard have not been able to give them the big plays, Bryant signed but may not be the answer they need.

QB – Garcia had an excellent season, but how much longer can he play or stay healthy?

DL – They really have no one to put pressure on the QB

OL – Like many teams, the OL needs upgrading

LB – Another aging group – it is time to start thinking about bringing in some fresh blood.

Depending which website you visit, an argument could be made for any of the 6 position needs listed. The 3 that shows up on just about every team needs list are CB, WR, & DL. Of those 3 positions, and knowing Gruden, I suspect WR will be the selection as CB & DL have been picked over more than WR.

So which WR? Sweed, Kelly, Jackson, ???? Again opinions very greatly from site to site.

I know Sweed & Jackson are rated higher than Kelly by NFL Countdown but other sites actually have Kelly rated the #1 WR.

I think Kelly is more polished and NFL ready than any other WR available, great size, hands, good route runner, good blocker,

Tampa Bay selects Malcom Kelly, WR, Oklahoma

Balta & the Washington Redskins are on the clock.........

This year, the Cowboys have the luxury of two late 1st round draft picks. This gives them some flexibility with their selections. Seeing that their WR corps is rapidly aging with TO and Terry Glenn. The Cowboys see a nice fit with a player who fell to them at #22.

With the 22nd pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Limas Sweed, Wide Receiver, Texas.

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Drunkbomber are on the clock........

I know Sweed & Jackson are rated higher than Kelly by NFL Countdown but other sites actually have Kelly rated the #1 WR.

I think Kelly is more polished and NFL ready than any other WR available, great size, hands, good route runner, good blocker,

...and the knees of a 40 year old. Also, NFLDC and good evaluations about prospects are not synonymous.