Garrett Wolfe

jason

Im sorry but I might want a little more than a youtube real before I become a fanboy like you. Just about every player in the NFL has some type of high light real. So 3 or 4 runs might be enough for you to proclaim him the next "whoever" but Id like more consistency than a youtube clip from scrub time.

Again, how can he get more time to add to his youtube reel, when he doesn't get the chance. You can only judge someone of their body of work. His work looks good so far. And this aint college, there is no scrub time. All of those guys are getting paid.

And I would argue that he can be used to run between the tackles if our oline wasn't so god awful.

Again, how can he get more time to add to his youtube reel, when he doesn't get the chance. You can only judge someone of their body of work. His work looks good so far. And this aint college, there is no scrub time. All of those guys are getting paid.

And I would argue that he can be used to run between the tackles if our oline wasn't so god awful.

Di you even read what I wrote? I said I wasnt talking about his potential, I was talking about his opportunities. I dont think he fits in here with our current personnel or game plan and obviously the coaching staff agrees so far. Thanks for the spell check, thats about the most productiveness youve added to the thread.

Youtube + Wolfe = awesome....am I missing anything?

exactly. We keep spots on the team for special teamers. Also, there's no need for two FB's. If we draft Forte, he could play a little FB if McKie gets injured... Plus, FB is not that hard of a position to find a decent replacement for McKie if he gets injured. You can find decent guys off of the street, or through signing someone off of another teams practice squad.

Isnt JD Runnels still on the roster? I thought he was IR'd last year.

I think Benson is on the hot seat and will be the first one gone as long as whichever back we draft comes in and lights it up in camp. I hope JA will swallow his pride and move on for the sake of making this team better. You can not underestimate the value AP brings to the team and I personally like what wolfe brings as a change of pace back.

Forte, Smith, Thomas Brown, Choice and a few others could probably step in and out perform Benson and justify the cut.

I think Benson is on the hot seat and will be the first one gone as long as whichever back we draft comes in and lights it up in camp. I hope JA will swallow his pride and move on for the sake of making this team better. You can not underestimate the value AP brings to the team and I personally like what wolfe brings as a change of pace back.

Forte, Smith, Thomas Brown, Choice and a few others could probably step in and out perform Benson and justify the cut.

If we dont draft Mendenhall or Stewart, Forte i think is the only viable option if we take a speed back and Benson fails we will be drafting another RB next year.

I personally like Wolfe...in particular his attitude and work ethic. I think given the right chance, and a staff that know how to utilize him, he could be a good contributor.

I'd like to see him being used more wisely than run up the middle on our own GL on 3rd down... That may be asking a lot from our staff.

A copy and paste from another thread. I want to start a discussion on Garrett Wolfe.

I think that Wolfe can be a solid contributor, and much more than a third-down back. Honestly, I don't see why everyone is so ready to quit on a guy who did nothing but look better than Benson and Peterson during his limited touches last year. I don't see why he can't produce like Warrick Dunn has produced throughout his career.

If anything, having a smaller, shiftier RB is a better option behind a line that opens up massive holes for DTs and DEs. Every time he got in the game last year he was making someone miss...that is, of course, when Turner wasn't calling the FB dive for a guy who is 180 lbs.

He puts on 5-10 lbs., and he's WARRICK FRIGGIN' DUNN.

Of course, if Warrick Dunn were drafted by Chicago, you guys would have hated him from the start because of his size. You would have called the pick horrible, and he would have despised Chicago. Then he would have been traded, like he has been, and he would have produced, like he has, and he would have thumbed his nose at all who said he wasn't fast enough, big enough, or strong enough.

I'd rather have him as a starting RB with AP or Benson acting as a third down back than the other way around. At least then we'd have a RB who can catch a ball out of the backfield and could possibly score from more than 20 yards out.

I really don't understand the Garrett Wolfe hatred going on around here. More power for his size than Benson or AP...

...better moves BY FAR

...and probably faster than either of the two.

Don't make me pull out the highlights of him busting Ohio State's ass!

Why did we draft Wolfe? I touched on this elsewhere, but wanted to throw it out there again.

I have seen talk of Wolfe being a potential every down RB. I have seen the Warrick Dunn comparisons, and talk of 20-25 touches per game. The idea is, if Benson doesn't step up w/ his final chance this year, Wolfe could take over, and that he simply was not given enough opportunities this past season.

IMHO, this is not what he was drafted for. IMHO, the role we saw for him on draft day was not that of an every down RB. On draft day last year, the belief was Benson was more than ready/capable of stepping up and becoming the stud starter. I say this because if we didn't feel that way, we would not have traded away TJ. So we felt we had our starting RB in Benson. We did not need a 20-25 touch RB. I argue the staff was looking for a RB w/ different traits. I think in Wolfe, the staff felt we could add a good 3rd down/ change of pace RB. One who had more speed/quickness than Benson. One who could supplement or compliment. Not one who could replace.

Also, I think a key reason for drafting Wolfe was special teams. The prior year, we saw (including in the SB) teams short kicking to avoid Hester. Angelo and Lovie even talked about lining up someone who could return the ball to better take advantage of those short kicks. In wolfe, I think they saw a player who could fill that role. In camp, I know we worked him in that role, but from all reports, he struggled in the return game, and I don't believe we ever saw him in that role during the season.

The point of all this is, I do not believe our staff/scouts ever envisioned Wolfe as a starting, 20-25 touch RB, and thus, I am not sure we should expect that of him. Does this mean there is no way he could fill that role. No, I am not saying that. But I questioning the idea, and do not believe our staff ever scouted him that way.

Darn staff...

Why did we draft Wolfe? I touched on this elsewhere, but wanted to throw it out there again.

I have seen talk of Wolfe being a potential every down RB. I have seen the Warrick Dunn comparisons, and talk of 20-25 touches per game. The idea is, if Benson doesn't step up w/ his final chance this year, Wolfe could take over, and that he simply was not given enough opportunities this past season.

IMHO, this is not what he was drafted for. IMHO, the role we saw for him on draft day was not that of an every down RB. On draft day last year, the belief was Benson was more than ready/capable of stepping up and becoming the stud starter. I say this because if we didn't feel that way, we would not have traded away TJ. So we felt we had our starting RB in Benson. We did not need a 20-25 touch RB. I argue the staff was looking for a RB w/ different traits. I think in Wolfe, the staff felt we could add a good 3rd down/ change of pace RB. One who had more speed/quickness than Benson. One who could supplement or compliment. Not one who could replace.

Also, I think a key reason for drafting Wolfe was special teams. The prior year, we saw (including in the SB) teams short kicking to avoid Hester. Angelo and Lovie even talked about lining up someone who could return the ball to better take advantage of those short kicks. In wolfe, I think they saw a player who could fill that role. In camp, I know we worked him in that role, but from all reports, he struggled in the return game, and I don't believe we ever saw him in that role during the season.

The point of all this is, I do not believe our staff/scouts ever envisioned Wolfe as a starting, 20-25 touch RB, and thus, I am not sure we should expect that of him. Does this mean there is no way he could fill that role. No, I am not saying that. But I questioning the idea, and do not believe our staff ever scouted him that way.

Wolfe had 1 KO return for 27 yds. I believe it was against Seattle and it was off a short kick.

I agree the staff did not envision him as a full time RB. Further, I would think he would have to show a whole lot more before he is given that chance.

Peace :dabears

I could have sworn he had some decent returns in the pre-season last year as well...

Wolfe had 1 KO return for 27 yds. I believe it was against Seattle and it was off a short kick.

I agree the staff did not envision him as a full time RB. Further, I would think he would have to show a whole lot more before he is given that chance.

Peace :dabears

You wont find me defending AP or Benson either. I know all three guys have serious holes in their games and thats why I dont really think any of them are even close to every down backs.

Everyone salivating over Wolfes awesomeness I have yet to hear a REASONABLE use for him. OK, he obviously isnt going to be the starter or even the change of pace back. Were not gonna run him up the middle and we arent going to have him in on passing downs. So IF he comes in, what is it gonna be for? To run a sweep or some kind of screen pass? If he is used like that he will have the same effectiveness of when we would bring in Hester for a check pass and he would be tackled for a loss. So you can sit here and talk about his POTENTIAL, but when I say he will fizzle away its because WE dont have a use for him. He wont be our change of pace back, he wont return kicks, he wont be a short yardage back. If we do draft a back in the first 4 rounds when exactly do you guys see Wolfe getting the carries?

Why is he obviously not going to be a starter or a change of pace back? I believe it's incredibly short-sighted, and possibly a bit on the hater side of things, to assume that he can't fill the change of pace back role...let alone the possibility of becoming an every down back. Surely isn't his blocking, receving, speed, or moves...because he rivals or exceeds the other RBs in each department.

You pose a good question, however. IF the Bears draft a RB in the first 4 rounds, Wolfe may well be squeezed on carries. I happen to think that drafting a RB in the first 4 rounds is a mistake in most cases (considering the Bears' draft this year).

Why do you think he is so ill-equipped to run up the middle? Is it his size? Or is it the limited action he saw last year that has shaped your opinion? IF it's the action last year, then surely you realize that nearly no RB could gain yards effectively between the tackles with a broke-down, ineffective OL. Give him an OL that actually blocks efficiently, and I believe Wolfe (and just about any RB who has the talent to make it to the NFL) can do well.

So which is it? Do you dislike having Wolfe on the team because:

1) He's a little RB

2) He didn't produce last year to what you expect, and wouldn't with more action

3) He doesn't fit the system/coaching

I agree he was brought in solely as a change of pace back and we gotta have someone who can carry the majority of the load in front of him.

If I remember right, Lovies/JAs plan was to bring in players to help improve our 3rd down efficiency. Olsen was the first step of the plan, and finding a RB that can be brought in on 3rd down and be a threat on screens/draws was another part. The major part that they both didn't realize was that w/o a push up front from the oline, none of this would matter.

Or if our 1st and 2nd down's were putrid...

If I remember right, Lovies/JAs plan was to bring in players to help improve our 3rd down efficiency. Olsen was the first step of the plan, and finding a RB that can be brought in on 3rd down and be a threat on screens/draws was another part. The major part that they both didn't realize was that w/o a push up front from the oline, none of this would matter.