Good read on taking QB's early...

madlithuanian

How is David Carr a bigger bust than Cade McNown? I saw no mention of McNown and while Carr never ended up panning out he did have a few quality seasons in Houston despite playing behind a horrid line and being on a generally bad team.

That said I understand Carr was the #1 draft pick so with that comes higher expectations than a guy like McNown (who I think we drafted at 12).

I think the entire football universe is trying to forget McClown!

How is David Carr a bigger bust than Cade McNown? I saw no mention of McNown and while Carr never ended up panning out he did have a few quality seasons in Houston despite playing behind a horrid line and being on a generally bad team.

That said I understand Carr was the #1 draft pick so with that comes higher expectations than a guy like McNown (who I think we drafted at 12).

I think the entire football universe is trying to forget McClown!

I hear you there, I play halo 3 online and played against someone by the gamer tag cademcnown. Doubt it was really him, but then again how many people would choose that to be their screen name? Not to mention he got uncomfortably quiet when we started making fun of mcnown the person and how big of a bust and loser he was. Just found that story pretty funny, but then again one would have to have heard it I had tears in my eyes with laughter cause the guys I was playing with were ripping into him pretty bad.

Ha! Could be! He's got a lot of free time!

Then again, it could be a UCLA fan...he did do well there. You never know.

I hear you there, I play halo 3 online and played against someone by the gamer tag cademcnown. Doubt it was really him, but then again how many people would choose that to be their screen name? Not to mention he got uncomfortably quiet when we started making fun of mcnown the person and how big of a bust and loser he was. Just found that story pretty funny, but then again one would have to have heard it I had tears in my eyes with laughter cause the guys I was playing with were ripping into him pretty bad.

Here is an interesting quote from Jerry Angelo back when he was just a scout...

"Quarterback is the toughest position in sports to coach, to evaluate and to play," says Angelo, an NFL scout for 18 years. "A few years ago, we studied the top 30 quarterbacks of all time. The Number 1 trait we found was toughness; they all had it. Number 2 was accuracy. Number 3 was instincts. The last was work ethic and maturity.

add that quote with this one...

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo has publicly stated that there are four QBs on his NFL Draft wish list, and they appear to be Joe Flacco of Delaware, Chad Henne of Michigan, Colt Brennan of Hawaii, and Paul Smith of Tulsa. Both Flacco and Henne are expected to come off the board at some point in the second round, while Brennan and Smith should still be available fairly late on Day 2.

And it all makes sense.

PS - I do like your draft prediction... However, I would go RB at 3b.

Other than that, I'd be pleased...

1- Jeff Otah/Ryan Clady OT

2- James Hardy WR

3a- Chilo Rachal OG

3b-Anthony Collins/Joe Greco OT

4- Dennis Dixon QB

5- Tom Zbikowski S

6- Colt Brennan QB

7a- James McClinton DT

7b- Pig Brown S

7c- Marc Magro LB

7d- Ryan Grice-Mullen WR

2- James Hardy WR

3a- Chilo Rachal OG

4- Dennis Dixon QB

5- Tom Zbikowski S

6- Colt Brennan QB

7a- James McClinton DT

7b- Pig Brown S

7c- Marc Magro LB

7d- Ryan Grice-Mullen WR

I don't mind the draft, definitely like the first 2 rounds of it, plus Zbikowski and one of Dixon/Brennan (I think Dixon went too early, but again, I like him and his upside). The only real question-mark I have is why go 2 QB's. Are the Bears realistically going to have 4 QB's on the active roster (because there is no way they could protect one of Brennan/Dixon on the practice squad; unless the plan would be to IR Dixon for the entire season, which wouldn't be a bad idea, and at that point a year from now either Kyle/Rex has proven themselves and the other is sent away with the two young guys competing for the back up spot; if both stink, you now have two young guys who can compete and push each other and one vet whom you could keep around as the crafty backup).

I agree on the QB's...

I don't mind the draft, definitely like the first 2 rounds of it, plus Zbikowski and one of Dixon/Brennan (I think Dixon went too early, but again, I like him and his upside). The only real question-mark I have is why go 2 QB's. Are the Bears realistically going to have 4 QB's on the active roster (because there is no way they could protect one of Brennan/Dixon on the practice squad; unless the plan would be to IR Dixon for the entire season, which wouldn't be a bad idea, and at that point a year from now either Kyle/Rex has proven themselves and the other is sent away with the two young guys competing for the back up spot; if both stink, you now have two young guys who can compete and push each other and one vet whom you could keep around as the crafty backup).

The draft list is more of a wish than a prediction. As for the QBs, it's somewhat of a personal philosophy. I think the Bears should make it a practice of signing QBs with potential in draft after draft. I like the idea of having four QBs, to be quite honest. After this year, the Bears find out which of the vets they want to keep, get rid of the other, and have an open camp with two young studs, and one young vet.

It's never a bad idea to have a good QB on the roster; we should all know that by now. And since we haven't had a good QB since McMahon, it's about time the investment is taken a little more seriously. Both Dixon and Brennan have serious upside and potential, and I think the Bears should be willing to carry four if the opportunity presents itself.

On a side note, what is your personal experience with Brennan?

2- James Hardy WR

3a- Chilo Rachal OG

4- Dennis Dixon QB

5- Tom Zbikowski S

6- Colt Brennan QB

7a- James McClinton DT

7b- Pig Brown S

7c- Marc Magro LB

7d- Ryan Grice-Mullen WR

I honestly considered it, but it was more for the sake of the board's opinion than for mine. I honestly don't think the Bears really need a RB all that badly this year. There is no way to accurately rate or evaluate the RBs on the roster when the OL sucks as bad as they did last year. When Benson was given any kind of hole, or decent blocking, he blasted through and made good gains. I really believe that Benson could put up huge stats if the Bears' OL played like they did two years ago. He's got the speed/burst to get to the second level, and enough wiggle to make it hard for stationary LBs to tackle him. That means a lot of downhill running at safeties and DBs.

It's all about my signature below...

You forget to address Benson's injury prone nature...

I think that alone makes drafting a RB at least somewhere a necessity.

I honestly considered it, but it was more for the sake of the board's opinion than for mine. I honestly don't think the Bears really need a RB all that badly this year. There is no way to accurately rate or evaluate the RBs on the roster when the OL sucks as bad as they did last year. When Benson was given any kind of hole, or decent blocking, he blasted through and made good gains. I really believe that Benson could put up huge stats if the Bears' OL played like they did two years ago. He's got the speed/burst to get to the second level, and enough wiggle to make it hard for stationary LBs to tackle him. That means a lot of downhill running at safeties and DBs.

It's all about my signature below...