QB in the first?

jason

The way I see it, the Bears QB and RB situation are nearly the same.

QB: Two average starters who have done well at times, horrible at others. Nobody from other teams is scared of either Bears' QB.

RB: Two average starters (and a younger guy who is outside the box), who have some good qualities, but several bad ones as well. Nobody from other teams is going to stack the box because they're afraid of the Bears' running game.

So, all the talk about Mendenhall got me thinking....

What would you guys think if the Bears selected Brohm at 14? Assuming Ryan is gone, then Brohm is basically regarded as the second best QB, which is essentially what selecting Mendenhall would be.

Would you be upset by this?

QB: Two average starters who have done well at times, horrible at others. Nobody from other teams is scared of either Bears' QB.

RB: Two average starters (and a younger guy who is outside the box), who have some good qualities, but several bad ones as well. Nobody from other teams is going to stack the box because they're afraid of the Bears' running game.

What would you guys think if the Bears selected Brohm at 14? Assuming Ryan is gone, then Brohm is basically regarded as the second best QB, which is essentially what selecting Mendenhall would be.

Yes, NO to QB or any defensive player in the 1st, I can see RB, would prefer OLT

If they took a QB in RD 1, it better be Matt Ryan. Other than that I don't want a QB in the first. Brohm is below Henne/Flacco on many teams boards and I definately don't feel he's worthy of going 14 (I could live with him in the 2nd round, although personally I'm not a big Brohm guy).

Also, I want to point out that the Bears QB situation is better than the RB situation. Peterson is not an average back, nor is Benson (Benson could become average or above average, but he's yet to ever do that at the NFL level as an everyday player).

Guest TerraTor
If they took a QB in RD 1, it better be Matt Ryan. Other than that I don't want a QB in the first. Brohm is below Henne/Flacco on many teams boards and I definately don't feel he's worthy of going 14 (I could live with him in the 2nd round, although personally I'm not a big Brohm guy).

Also, I want to point out that the Bears QB situation is better than the RB situation. Peterson is not an average back, nor is Benson (Benson could become average or above average, but he's yet to ever do that at the NFL level as an everyday player).

QBs in this draft are worth a 1st. Ryan isnt anywhere near an elite prospect. Wanna talk about playing big competition, show his games against FSU, VT. Hes just another Boller or Grossman for that matter

I wouldn't be upset with that pick cause statistically brohm is just as good if not better than ryan. Now if they went that road they would definitly have to pick someone like rachal in the second followed by rb (would be nice to see forte or johnson fall this far) then tony hills from texas with our second third (I don't know if he'd fall that far) basically they'd have to go ol,rb,ol or ol,ol,rb. Anything other than that combo would just be insane and scary for our qb. I'm praying albert falls to us cause with him at guard and forte in the second and hills in the third would make our ol pretty stable and competitive offensively. Not to mention albert could move to lt with a few years experience then we'd have our ot's for the next 10 years!!!

I wouldn't mind Brohm, but not at 14. If Dallas was willing to trade with us, I could see him selected somewhere in the 20's with the ability to have a 2nd pick in the 1st. With only 1 1st rounder and at 14, I would say the options are down to:

QB - Ryan (very unlikely)

RB - Mendenhall, Stewart

OL - Albert, Clady, Otah, Williams

WR - Sweed, Thomas (I hope we don't go WR)

S - Phillips

I have no issue if it were Ryan...I think any other QB is a reach. I don't want to reach when we have so many other holes to fill...

Brian Brohm is a big reach @ 14. If the Bears move down into the 20's, okay, I can maybe see it, but again, why not go Felix Jones which is a bigger need or a tackle or best WR on the board (all would be better picks than Brohm, imo, who really isn't head and shoulders above Henne/Flacco). I will say this, you can make a case for Brohm being extreme value in the 2nd given the fact that a year ago, had he entered, there is a good shot he goes top 10, if not top 5.

Oh and when you tell me Ryan wasn't that good, I say look at what Ryan had to work with, far less than Brohm (who played in a much more offensive friendly system) and look at the teams Ryan went up against (he played some pretty solid teams while running a pro offense and doing a damn good job of it despite not having that much talent on his own squad).

I would be one happy Bears fan if Brohm was brought in. Brohm's the top QB in my book this year, and I'll be very disappointed if he isn't brought in some fashion. Whether it be through drafting at 14, trading down in the first, or trading up from our second.

Let's face it, the 2 quarterbacks on this team are not even average as you say, atleast no average starters. They are below average starters, and maybe average QB's when you consider all in the league including 3rd stringers.

Since, at this point, we are stuck with Grossman or Orton starting this year, I feel this offense will be a failure no matter who we draft this year. If we draft Brohm this year, he will be ready to start next year, hopefully. If we settle for another QB, we are going to put ourselves in a bad position. I see most the other QB's as a wasted pick. Either A) we will be held hostage for years again by the team being handcuffed to a subpar player ala Grossman, B) in a year or 2 we will be drafting a QB again and waiting for him to develop another year before he can start, or C) I'm wrong and we have a QB.

As much as I am a staunch supporter in building a line, I was a little ticked off we didn't pursue the FA's available, I am sickened more at the prospect of seeing a Grossman/Orton lead offense for a few more years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against OL in the first, if we find a way to move up from the second to first to get Brohm. I think he is a solid pick at 14. I think as far as team need goes, I think the favored tail of Bears QB starters that broadcasters like to show says it all. It's time to get on the ball and fix the position.

I want a real prospect. I don't want to see a subpar one or one just going off physical attributes like Flacco. I don't want to waste another 2 or more years, only to have to go back to the drawing board again and wait another year after that to see what that player has.

Not the same Jason,

Mendenhal is the 2nd rated RB (some would argue Stewart). Brohm the 2nd rated QB (seen some argue Henne). But that does not mean the two have equal draft value. Mendenhal is considered a 10-15 pick value. Brohm? I think he is considered an early 2nd round value, but likely to go in the back of the 1st as many expect a team to trade up to get in front of some of the QB needy teams at the top of the 2nd.

2nd best OT is either Albert or Clady, depending on who you ask. Who is the 2nd best S? Whoever it is, if a team has both OT and S as their top needs, would the two be the same?

Sorry, I just do not agree w/ this logic. I have no problem w/ Brohm, but not at 14, and I think most would see it that way.

Yes, I'd be upset. Brohm is not a value at 14. One of the OTs are. I want OL witht he first pick!

I think many would argue that the RB situation is better than the QB situation for the Bears. Let's face it; Rex Grossman doesn't really scare opponents, and they sure don't get shivers thinking about NeckBeard. And, while nobody is scared of Benson either, I think others realize that Benson has more raw talent to exploit if given the right opportunity than either Rex Grossman or NeckBeard.