Henne at 14?

nfoligno

Listening to ESPN Radio today, and McShay was on and talking QBs. He was asked if the bears would consider a QB at 14. He then talked about how it has been rumored for a while that a team in the teens was considering Henne. He went on to talk about how he separately knew that Chicago is in fact very high on Henne. Said they/we love his size and arm strength. Also mentioned our liking Flacco.

He is not predicting Chicago will take Henne at 14, but he and Kiper are both talking about how they keep hearing about a team in the teens who is looking at QB that few realize.

Of all the players we have talked about taking at 14, I don't think any make me as sick as this.

Also of interest, he talked about which teams are high on which QB.

Miami loves Henne

Atlanta loves Brohm

Baltimore loves Flacco

If none of these teams comes away w/ Ryan, look for teams to trade up into the back of the 1st if they want a QB, as these teams are very high on the above QBs.

By the way, in talking about the QBs we love, no mention of Brohm.

Listening to ESPN Radio today, and McShay was on and talking QBs. He was asked if the bears would consider a QB at 14. He then talked about how it has been rumored for a while that a team in the teens was considering Henne. He went on to talk about how he separately knew that Chicago is in fact very high on Henne. Said they/we love his size and arm strength. Also mentioned our liking Flacco.

He is not predicting Chicago will take Henne at 14, but he and Kiper are both talking about how they keep hearing about a team in the teens who is looking at QB that few realize.

Of all the players we have talked about taking at 14, I don't think any make me as sick as this.

Miami loves Henne

Atlanta loves Brohm

Baltimore loves Flacco

If none of these teams comes away w/ Ryan, look for teams to trade up into the back of the 1st if they want a QB, as these teams are very high on the above QBs.

I too will be sickened by this pick if it occurs. IMO it pretty much guarantees us a top five pick next year.

But then again maybe our oline coach(lol do we have one) will use magic to make the oline better.

Miami loves Henne

Atlanta loves Brohm

Baltimore loves Flacco

No way Henne at 14. Like you said, I could see us trading down in the 1st, picking up an extra 2nd, and maybe take a QB late in the 1st.

I just don't see all these QBs going by pick 44 though. If that happens, then the Bears will get a really solid pick other than QB available to them at 44.

I too will be sickened by this pick if it occurs. IMO it pretty much guarantees us a top five pick next year.

But then again maybe our oline coach(lol do we have one) will use magic to make the oline better.

New O-line Coach:

harry-potter-birthday-party-thumb.jpg

First, taking Henne at all will make me sick. I see him as another Rex Grossman. Solid arm and leadership qualities, but an erratic and inconsistent passer. Thanks, but no thanks.

Also of note though is, if we really are (as McShay says) grading Henne high, and also love Flacco, due to their arm strength, how do we grade Brohm. The #1 knock on Brohm is his arm strength and deep ball game. If we grade Henne and Flacco so high due to arm strength, does that not also indicate we have Brohm graded low?

As for where the QBs go, I think there is a very good chance they are all gone. I think one will be gone in the late 1st, and the other two will be gone in the early 2nd. Problem is, you have a collection of teams in front of us who have QB high on their need list, and only one QB expected to be drafted at the top of round one. Thus, you have a group of teams in front of us in round two that are a good bet to be looking at QB in the 2nd.

Miami, Atlanta, KC, NYJ, Baltimore and Carolina all are believed to have QB high on their board. One will get Ryan. That leaves 5 teams in front of us in round two, and 3 QBs. Maybe one falls, but I think there is a good chance all are gone.

I like henne, but not in the first round, at least not at 14...

i think henne will be a good ballplayer...he plays in a system at michigan that was pretty similar to ron turners scheme (the bowl game vs. florida when lloyd carr finally opened it up notwithstanding)...he probably has the strongest arm out of any of the QBs in this draft (maybe not flacco..havent seen much of him)...and i think he throws the post pattern as well as any qb ive seen in a long time...

im fairly confident that we will take an OT in the first round, but if we can trade down maybe with dallas who could trade up for felix jones, and still nab either otah or williams at 22 (doubtful) or even take cherlious there id be happy then if we took Henne/Brohm and a RB (Forte/Rice/ or Kevin Smith..who i really like) in the second round, then grab a WR and S in the third...

First, taking Henne at all will make me sick. I see him as another Rex Grossman. Solid arm and leadership qualities, but an erratic and inconsistent passer. Thanks, but no thanks.

Also of note though is, if we really are (as McShay says) grading Henne high, and also love Flacco, due to their arm strength, how do we grade Brohm. The #1 knock on Brohm is his arm strength and deep ball game. If we grade Henne and Flacco so high due to arm strength, does that not also indicate we have Brohm graded low?

As for where the QBs go, I think there is a very good chance they are all gone. I think one will be gone in the late 1st, and the other two will be gone in the early 2nd. Problem is, you have a collection of teams in front of us who have QB high on their need list, and only one QB expected to be drafted at the top of round one. Thus, you have a group of teams in front of us in round two that are a good bet to be looking at QB in the 2nd.

Miami, Atlanta, KC, NYJ, Baltimore and Carolina all are believed to have QB high on their board. One will get Ryan. That leaves 5 teams in front of us in round two, and 3 QBs. Maybe one falls, but I think there is a good chance all are gone.

Can those teams afford to draft a QB with other glaring needs? I just feel based on history someone would be there at 44 (Henne, Flacco, Brohm). Someone always falls.

I like him better than Grossman, but that's only because I like dirt better than Grossman.

But taking him in the 1st would be a big reach. I don't like it.

This rumor just came out a few days before the draft, can anyone say smoke screen?

Just the fact that this rumor was leaked by McShay tells me someone intentionally let it slip to generate trade interest or to hide true intentions.

I heard Kiper refer to this late last week too. Not saying it isn't a smokescrean, but it is a masked screan if it is. As I said, the rumor was of "some" team in the teens, not the bears. McShay is reasoning that he believes the rumored team is the bears.

It may well be smokescrean, but seems almost too hidden and subtle.

In the end, would it shock any of us if JA did in fact take Henne?

While I would not be pleased...I certainly wouldn't be shocked. I'd just hope and pray he isn't what I think he is...

I heard Kiper refer to this late last week too. Not saying it isn't a smokescrean, but it is a masked screan if it is. As I said, the rumor was of "some" team in the teens, not the bears. McShay is reasoning that he believes the rumored team is the bears.

It may well be smokescrean, but seems almost too hidden and subtle.

over-valued in a weak QB class...is anyone getting sick of me saying this? Henne has the lowest completion percentage and the highest interception-to-attempt ratio of all 4 QBs...

I'm a diehard Wolverine fan...and I've always loathed him. He's easily confused and forces throws under pressure.

Why can't we just wait for the QB we want rather than wasting a pick on one who is going to struggle? Haven't we learned from the Grossman experiment?

I personally appreciate your candor!

I know very little about the QB's out there...other than a bit on Ryan.

It would seem to me, that Ryan is the only one worthy to take in R1...in lower rounds, I could take a chance on others. I wish we'd learn form the Grossman experiment...but I fear otherwise.

over-valued in a weak QB class...is anyone getting sick of me saying this? Henne has the lowest completion percentage and the highest interception-to-attempt ratio of all 4 QBs...

I'm a diehard Wolverine fan...and I've always loathed him. He's easily confused and forces throws under pressure.

Why can't we just wait for the QB we want rather than wasting a pick on one who is going to struggle? Haven't we learned from the Grossman experiment?

Wow, nice argument. Yea, case must really be closed. Thanks for the tip.

I'm sorry, but he is a fool. I can't stand him. I can say something 1 minute, and if I hear him say the same thing, I usually have a reversal in my opinion.