Right now...

Alaskan Grizzly

I'm hoping the Bears can avoid the injury bug on defense next year. IF so, Urlacher, Brown, Harris, Briggs, Vasher, Tillman, Anderson, and others will provide a solid defense. It will also be great to see Dusty, Okwo, and Bazuin on the field to see if they may provide depth/spark.

I think the offense will struggle greatly, again.

I'm thinking 9-7.

Ok, we were 0-4 vs MIN and DET. That is not going to happen again. If we split with them, we are a 9-7 team. Also, look at the points. We let up something like 90 more than 2006 and scored 90 less. So we had a 180 point swing towards the negative in 2007. Also, of those 7 losses, only one was a blowout (DAL). We were basically in every other game last year. If we don't blow the game to DET and the one to NYG both in the 4th quarter, we are 9-7.

SD, leading 3-0 at half, lose 14-3.

DET, leading 13-3 going into 4th, allow 34 points and lose 37-27.

MIN, tied at 31-31 late in 4th, lose 34-31 on last minute FG.

DET, down 13-7, Griese throws 3 Red Zone INTs, we lose 16-7.

SEA, tied 17-17 at half, lose 30-23.

NYG, leading 16-7 going into the 4th, allow 14 points and lose 21-16 to SB Champions.

WAS, down 17-13 in 4th, lose 24-16.

MIN, leading 13-6 at half, lose 20-13.

So in 16 games, we had the lead or was tied at some point in 14 games.

Also, we were destroyed with injuries like no other team last year. That has to be taken into consideration (no excuses). With players returning to 100%, plus the draft picks there is no way we regress even more in 2008. At worst we stand pat at 7-9. I say 9-7.

1-15

Come on. You complain about the QB situation, yet you love Rex. Obviously, if Rex is so good in your eyes, then there isn't anything wrong with our QBs.

@ IND L

@ CAR W

TB L

PHI W

@ DET L

@ ATL W

MIN L

DET W

TEN W

@ GB L

@ STL W

@ MIN L

JAX L

NO W

GB W

@ HOU W

There, 9-7. That wouldn't be so bad.

Come on. You complain about the QB situation, yet you love Rex. Obviously, if Rex is so good in your eyes, then there isn't anything wrong with our QBs.

@ IND L

@ CAR W

TB L

PHI W

@ DET L

@ ATL W

MIN L

DET W

TEN W

@ GB L

@ STL W

@ MIN L

JAX L

NO W

GB W

@ HOU W

I just don't see us going 2-4 in the Division, or losing to TB.

@ IND L

@ CAR W

TB L

PHI W

@ DET L

@ ATL W

MIN L

DET W

TEN W

@ GB L

@ STL W

@ MIN L

JAX L

NO W

GB W

@ HOU W

If Rex & Orton falter, who's our QB? :banghead

To be honest, when breaking it down:

@ IND - Loss. This is probably a loss.

@ CAR - Win. This could pretty easily be a win. Their team is not impressive.

TB - Win. They don't impress me.

PHI - Win. This will be a tough game, but I think the Bears can win.

@ DET - Win. I think last year was a fluke.

@ ATL - Win. They suck.

MIN - Loss. We'll split with them.

DET - Win. Like I said, fluke.

TEN - Win. The Titans can be scary, but I still think it's a Bears win.

@ GB - Win. Why not? No Farv.

@ STL - Win. They're not good anymore. And they don't have the turf speed they once did.

@ MIN - Win.

JAX - Loss. I think their bruising running game is possibly ugly for the Bears.

NO - Win. This could be a very close/dangerous game.

GB - Win. I think they'll struggle.

@ HOU - Loss. I think the Bears may either be resting people, or have a trap game.

I honestly don't see how 12-4 is unreasonable. The Lions? The Packers? The only really scary games are against the Colts, Eagles, and the Jags.

I just don't see us going 2-4 in the Division, or losing to TB.

The most I see us winning is 5. The best shot of that is 2 vs DET, 1 vs MIN, and 2 vs GB. However, 1 vs DET, 2 vs GB, and 1 vs MIN has the better chance of happening.

Losing to TB is possible. We play well at home, I just think they'll beat us by a touchdown or so.

To be honest, when breaking it down:

@ IND - Loss. This is probably a loss.

@ CAR - Win. This could pretty easily be a win. Their team is not impressive.

TB - Win. They don't impress me.

PHI - Win. This will be a tough game, but I think the Bears can win.

@ DET - Win. I think last year was a fluke.

@ ATL - Win. They suck.

MIN - Loss. We'll split with them.

DET - Win. Like I said, fluke.

TEN - Win. The Titans can be scary, but I still think it's a Bears win.

@ GB - Win. Why not? No Farv.

@ STL - Win. They're not good anymore. And they don't have the turf speed they once did.

@ MIN - Win.

JAX - Loss. I think their bruising running game is possibly ugly for the Bears.

NO - Win. This could be a very close/dangerous game.

GB - Win. I think they'll struggle.

@ HOU - Loss. I think the Bears may either be resting people, or have a trap game.

I honestly don't see how 12-4 is unreasonable. The Lions? The Packers? The only really scary games are against the Colts, Eagles, and the Jags.

Bingo. :cheers

Don't underestimate the improvement our Oline just had. I know many here wanted another OG early to help out but honestly St Clair played well there last year. I have no problem with him playing there in '08 and still being our backup OT. Beekman should be able to challenge Garza more so than last year. Regardless we have in Williams our best pass protecting LT we've had in a long time, he'll be better there than Tait was last year and Tait is a big upgrade over Miller at RT. Improvement at holding off the edge rushers will make it easier for the interior guys to pick up the blitzes better including the RB. Figure at least 1 more second if not 2 for a QB to make a read and throw.

Last year i was not happy with Moose at all and think he was more of a liability than help (except in run blocking). Berrian was good at times but never displayed enough effort to be great when being pushed around. I think a combo of Bradley and Hester or Bennet will replace his productivity. Booker can replace Moose and catches much better than him. While we have questions marks at WR I really don't think it'll be worse than last year and should be better.

Forte can actually run a pass route and catch the ball. He has more speed and quickness than AP and there's no reason to compare him on this to Ced who is kinda stiff when catching. We still have guys like Olsen and Clark who played well last year and with a bit more pass protection will be more effective as they'll have more time to get upfield.

Bottom line on the O is that I think we can get back to being average which would be a big jump up.

The D needs to stay somewhat healthy but we shouldn't see a reapeat of last year. We finally have a guy who can spell Tommie Harris and give us a similar 1-gap pass rush. Dusty should be back and I think Adams will play better having been around all summer with Rusty. This could be our best DT rotation we've had under Lovie.

DE will be average or slightly above average with the return of Bazuin and the push by the rookie for playing time. I'm wondering if we'll be trading a DE during camp this year. Gotta see 'em play first but still we have a lot of bodies at this position.

LB finally has the best depth we've had under Lovie with Okwo and Williams behind Url/Briggs/Hunter. CBs could have the best depth we've had in years too with McBride (who covers better than RMJ but not as good in run support), Graham and Bowman.

The big question is S and we still won more than 5 games with a lot of turnover at that spot last year. I can't see it being worse this year with Steltz on board and Payne back in action. Arch should be gone shortly.

Special teams will be special again this year as we have a lot of guys who can play it and enjoy doing it. We still have Hester and Gould.

I see at least 10 wins and maybe more if we're healthy.

Given the what we have and what we drafted we are going to have a good year. My only concern is health. if we stay healthy as in the Superbowl year we will get back to the playoffs with at least an 10-6 record.We should sweep Green Bay and Detriot & split with the Vikes. We should beat the Panthers,

Falcons, Titans,Buccaneers,Rams,and the Texans. We will have tough games with the Colts, Jaguars,Eagles and Buccaneers, Saints.

Don't underestimate the improvement our Oline just had. I know many here wanted another OG early to help out but honestly St Clair played well there last year. I have no problem with him playing there in '08 and still being our backup OT. Beekman should be able to challenge Garza more so than last year. Regardless we have in Williams our best pass protecting LT we've had in a long time, he'll be better there than Tait was last year and Tait is a big upgrade over Miller at RT. Improvement at holding off the edge rushers will make it easier for the interior guys to pick up the blitzes better including the RB. Figure at least 1 more second if not 2 for a QB to make a read and throw.

Last year i was not happy with Moose at all and think he was more of a liability than help (except in run blocking). Berrian was good at times but never displayed enough effort to be great when being pushed around. I think a combo of Bradley and Hester or Bennet will replace his productivity. Booker can replace Moose and catches much better than him. While we have questions marks at WR I really don't think it'll be worse than last year and should be better.

Forte can actually run a pass route and catch the ball. He has more speed and quickness than AP and there's no reason to compare him on this to Ced who is kinda stiff when catching. We still have guys like Olsen and Clark who played well last year and with a bit more pass protection will be more effective as they'll have more time to get upfield.

Bottom line on the O is that I think we can get back to being average which would be a big jump up.

The D needs to stay somewhat healthy but we shouldn't see a reapeat of last year. We finally have a guy who can spell Tommie Harris and give us a similar 1-gap pass rush. Dusty should be back and I think Adams will play better having been around all summer with Rusty. This could be our best DT rotation we've had under Lovie.

DE will be average or slightly above average with the return of Bazuin and the push by the rookie for playing time. I'm wondering if we'll be trading a DE during camp this year. Gotta see 'em play first but still we have a lot of bodies at this position.

LB finally has the best depth we've had under Lovie with Okwo and Williams behind Url/Briggs/Hunter. CBs could have the best depth we've had in years too with McBride (who covers better than RMJ but not as good in run support), Graham and Bowman.

The big question is S and we still won more than 5 games with a lot of turnover at that spot last year. I can't see it being worse this year with Steltz on board and Payne back in action. Arch should be gone shortly.

Special teams will be special again this year as we have a lot of guys who can play it and enjoy doing it. We still have Hester and Gould.

I see at least 10 wins and maybe more if we're healthy.

With what we drafted our season depends on how the players are used on offense this year. We have three TE'S two of them can catch and are 6'5' and above. If they are not targerts in the Red Zone this year then we need to fire Turner. You have got more speed in the backfield and you can use Hester as a RB out in the flats and for screens.Look at what Wolfe did with the screens last year, the shake that Hester has could take a screen to the house more times than not if done right.

We can create many mismatches in the secongary with both Davis and Olsen in the game at the same time they are both faster than Clark, and with Monk on the feild too at 6'4' 222lbs.

We lost Berrian, but Bradley, Hester and maybe Bennet can all make up for that speed deep threat

We need to run off tackle more than up the middle. Garza and Kreutz can not hold blocks long enough for up the middle running but long enough for the back(FORTE) to get to the outside. Use Benson if healthy up the middle or the FB.

The Oline show be better this year so Rex/Orton will have time to throw the ball. I think Rex comes back and has a great year taking care of the ball and cutting down on the forced throws are bad reads. Heck I can throw to 6'4 and up guys that can catch all day.

The defense should be great once again. We have another Tommy Harris type in Harrison/Dusty, Help at SS, speed at CB and a few good players all around.

And the special teams will be special again this year.

I still think we're 8-8 ads I did earlier.

There's enough talent on the team to keep games close and win some.

But 4 or 5 wins certainly wouldn't surprise me. Unless Orton turns the corner, we're doomed at QB.

My first gut instinct, with the way things are right now (Urlacher, Hester and others with contract disputes...no drafted QB and the improvement of both Detroit and Minnesota) I fear a less than .500 season for 2008-09.

Convince me otherwise but I feel 4-12 or 5-11 is in the cards.

I would say no better than the last year of 9-7, unless we can score some points for once. Defense was horrible last year and I'm not sure they will be any better this year.

Vikings have all pieces in place other than QB to be a force, already the best run D now adding a great pass rusher I'm not sure a split with them is likely.

Yeah cause whoever we would have picked instead of the tight end would have been a whole lot better.

Seriously dude get a clue.

I need a clue? Maybe, you should get one.

I guess you'd rather have some freakin 3rd string TE over drafting another QB.

You lack football knowledge. :lol:

Definitely have to say sub .500.

I Pray this will be 2001 again, but I do not see it.

Defense

Yes, the injuries we suffered last year were huge, but should we "expect" to be healthy this year? Urlacher had back issues last year, and while he feels healthy now, he isn't getting hit. The word "chronic" is what scares me. And Mike Brown is our starting FS again, right?

Injuries aside, I am still of the opinion scheme and coaching hurt this defense as much as anything. The scheme is the same, as is the coaching. We can hope Babich gets better, as last year was his first as a DC, but I am not so sure.

Finally, I have look at the "issues" we are dealing w/ again. The question has been asked before how much our decline was due to contract squables and "me" attitudes after the Super Bowl. Well, it seems like we are seeing that again. Briggs got his new deal, but is skipping workouts. Yes, they are voluntary, but come on. After getting the coin, you need to show up and show your committment. Urlacher is upset and not feeling the love. Harris has said he wants a Freeney deal, and could be thinking about his payday more than his play.

Offense

I LOVE that we drafted Williams, and like that Tait will likely move back to RT, but how good should we expect the OL to be in 2008? Is Williams going to be Joe Thomas. Thomas is an exception. Few rookies come in and play great at LT their rookie year. It is going to take time. St. Clair is our best option at LG, and that is not a great thing. Kreutz play has been declining too. Further, I am of the opinion that OL needs to develop chemistry, and whether rookie or veteran, we are going to start the year w/ basically 3 out of 5 positions we different players than the start of 2007. They may be upgrades, may, but will also take time to develop a report together.

So w/o a great OL, how much should we honestly expect of our run or passing game? I like Forte too, but if the OL isn't that good, will Forte be? Actually think our passing game could be a bit better, as I believe (a) while our OL may not be a great at run blocking this year, they should be improved in pass protection and (B) I believe Booker can offer a consistent, reliable option which we have not had. We may not score much, but might stay on the field a bit longer.

I would love to think we are a better team, but I question how much we really improved.

I need a clue? Maybe, you should get one.

I guess you'd rather have some freakin 3rd string TE over drafting another QB.

You lack football knowledge. :lol:

lol. Hey next time you PM me and try to be an internet tough guy, make sure you dont have it set not to get messages back.

That being said Mr curse words, that is an excellent comeback.

Anyways, the quarterbacks available were no better than the Hill kid we picked up in FA. So if they liked the TE better I'm down with the pick.

At this point you are just being mad to be mad, and being the stereotypical Bears fan that talks all this trash about the team with no real analysis or factual back up.

And I am the one with no football knowledge....

Guest TerraTor
My first gut instinct, with the way things are right now (Urlacher, Hester and others with contract disputes...no drafted QB and the improvement of both Detroit and Minnesota) I fear a less than .500 season for 2008-09.

Convince me otherwise but I feel 4-12 or 5-11 is in the cards.

I think 5-11 is harsh, maybe 3-13 if hester gets 10TDs

If these guys stay healthy, this team will win 10+ games. In order of decreasing importance.

Devin Hester

Mike Brown

Brian Urlacher

Tommy Harris

Nathan Vasher

Charles Tillman

Dusty Dvoracek

Lance Briggs

That list is several pro-bowlers and is easily good enough, if they all stay healthy, to give the Bears a top defense and top Special Teams again. In the NFC, that alone is worth 10 wins.

If those guys start going down again, then it's anyone's guess.