Quarterback

sussnk

No, I believe next year's class looks particularly bad. The idea, I think, is that we have two young qbs who are better bets than most qbs available this year. And even though the class doesn't look good now, a lot can change in a year.

Worst comes to worst, you pick up a vet next year, or you make a big offer for one of the Browns' two qbs. We will have options.

There must be SOME reason that the Bears did not draft a QB this year. Some good QB's fell into their laps and they refused to pull the trigger....what gives???

Because if Rex fails, the great Kyle Orton is the savior. :rolleyes:

Walter Football lists 5 possible Qb's within the 1st 2 rounds:

Curtis Painter, Purdue

Height: 6-4. Weight: 223.

Projected 40 Time: 4.81.

Projected Round (2009): 1-2.

3/26/08: Curtis Painter threw for less yardage (3,846) than he did as a sophomore, but he compiled more touchdowns (29 to 22), less interceptions (11 to 19) and a higher completion percentage (62.6 to 59.4).

Painter threw for more yards (3,985) last year than any player in Purdue history, which includes Drew Brees and Kyle Orton. That said, after starting hot in 2006, Painter was largely ineffective against Wisconsin (20-40, 187 yds, 1 INT), Penn State (22-39, 184 yds, 2 INTs), Illinois (20-42, 229 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT) and Indiana (4 INTs).

Hunter Cantwell, Louisville

Height: 6-5. Weight: 230.

Projected 40 Time: 4.72.

This is sort of like the Carson Palmer-Matt Leinart situation at USC. Hunter Cantwell stepped in for an injured Brian Brohm in 2006 and threw for 700 yards, five touchdowns and two picks, maintaining a completion percentage of 64.3. One of the top prospects in the nation who will have to wait until the 2008 season to play.

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma

Height: 6-4. Weight: 214.

Projected 40 Time: 4.68.

Projected Round (2009): Top 10 Pick.

3/26/08: Sam Bradford is going into his redshirt sophomore year, so he'll be eligible for the 2009 Draft. If he matches his 2007 numbers this upcoming year, I see no reason why he woudn't come out early. Bradford threw for 3,121 yards, 36 touchdowns and only eight picks - as a freshman. Unbelievable. Can we get a birth certificate?

Tim Tebow, Florida

Height: 6-3. Weight: 235.

Projected 40 Time: 4.54.

Projected Round (2009): Top 5 Pick.

ESPN's Jesse Palmer said that Tim Tebow moved himself into Heisman consideration in the wake of his performance at Ole Miss. I have to agree. Tebow's passing numbers were great - 20-of-34, 262 yards, two touchdowns - but his rushing numbers were downright spectacular (26 carries, 164 yards, two more scores).

Tebow passed his first true test with flying colors. The sophomore was 14-of-19 for 299 yards, two touchdowns and one interception against Tennessee. He also rushed for 61 yards and two more scores on the ground.

Matt Stafford, Georgia

Height: 6-3. Weight: 237.

Projected 40 Time: 4.74.

3/26/08: Matt Stafford improved upon his freshman campaign, throwing for 2,523 yards and 19 touchdowns. He did, however, complete just 55.7 percent of his passes.

I'm not as high on Matt Stafford as other people are. Call me crazy, but I'm not sold on a guy who compiled way more picks (13) than touchdowns (7), even if he was a freshman. Stafford threw three interceptions against both Mississippi State and Kentucky - not the greatest opponents in the world.

Stafford looked good against Auburn (14-20, 219 yds, 7 carries, 83 rush yds, 2 total TDs) and Georgia Tech (16-29, 171 yds, 1 TD), but things fell apart for him in the Chick Fil-A Bowl against Virginia Tech, where he went 9-of-21 for 129 yards, one touchdown and an interception. Stafford doesn't have the greatest weapons to work with, so I admit that I'm being a little harsh in my criticism.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2009QB.php

Sorry but Tebow will be another Michael Vick draft kind-of-a-pick. I hope the Bears don't pick him if the opportunity comes next season.

I'm looking forward to 11-5 or 9-7 season for the Bears this season, high hopes. Go Rashied Davis!

First of all, the Bears didnt neglect to draft a qb because they didnt like the class. If anything this would have been a good year for them to draft one because they could have traded down in the second round to get one of the second tier guys.

Secondly, we have no idea which qbs will be projected high in next years draft right now. If anyone says they knew after last years draft that Ryan would be the 3rd overall pick and Brohm would go late in the second is lying.