Benson's done????

bear trap

Any info? I read some post from another forum that the score reported today that benson's injury is worse than everyone thought and that his career with the bears is over and it will be announced publically in a few days? Is this true? If it is, do they bring in some vet with experience. I think forte will be a good back, but we can't possibly try going into the season with no experience at all can we? I'd make a trade like a 6th rd pick in next years draft for lamont jordan, or try for alexander if he's affordable.

I wonder if he's done or if the injury is so bad it will take a full year to recover. Of course that would mean he's not able to play this year at all and in that case you can't cut him unless you come to an agreement on an injury settlement. Would the Bears do that or put him back on IR and see what he's got next year?

Any info? I read some post from another forum that the score reported today that Benson's injury is worse than everyone thought and that his career with the bears is over and it will be announced publicly in a few days? Is this true? If it is, do they bring in some vet with experience. I think forte will be a good back, but we can't possibly try going into the season with no experience at all can we? I'd make a trade like a 6th rd pick in next years draft for lamont jordan, or try for alexander if he's affordable.

On the Bears Website on April 25th there was an article quoting Jerry Angelo saying:

Everybody that is under contract should be up and going with no restrictions, from the information I am getting from our medical people and what we’re seeing in how our players have been progressing so far,” said general manager Jerry Angelo

So I am confused by these rumors that Benson's injury is career threatening.

Just as I am confused about those questioning the rumors about Chris Williams' back/neck injury. The first year JA drafted for us, if I remember correctly, he drafted Mark Columbo, OLT in round 1. Columbo got injured early on and despite keeping him on the payroll for several years never recovered to where he could play and we finally gave him an injury settlement. Do you think for one moment that if Angelo thought Chris Williams was an injury risk he would have drafted him #14 in round 1?

Guest TerraTor
He will be fine. With his glowing personality and overall likability he will have a job in a booth in no time.

I think Benson's overall performances were alot worse than expected and that should cause his career with the Bears to be over.

I think Benson's overall performances were alot worse than expected and that should cause his career with the Bears to be over.

Yes but just because he is garbage doesn't mean he will get cut.

I think if he had a deal that would help our cap situation we would do it.

Its hurts us so I dont see us doing it.

I still think we should go after those footballs with air pumps and use him as the bait to get them.

With the cold temperatures in Chicago, having footballs that we could pump up at any time could really make our practices run more efficiently. If we could land a bag of those our whole team would benefit and it would have all stemmed from Benson.

With the cold temperatures in Chicago, having footballs that we could pump up at any time could really make our practices run more efficiently. If we could land a bag of those our whole team would benefit and it would have all stemmed from Benson.

No kiddin'. Like I said before, maybe we can get an umbrella AND those footballs with those pumps. Those umbrellas could come in handy for those rainy October games we occasionally get. The players could dry off, then stand under the umbrella to prevent any colds.

Please refer to the year before last when he was healthy and the OL was not horrible for proof to refute your misinformation. I'll give you a head start:

Jason, I appreciate your loyalty to a douchbag such as CB, but will you PLEASE tell me this: (I've been asking this for a while). Other then the occassional few and far between great run, what does Cedric do well??? Seriously? On my list I have: Can't block, can't catch the damn ball, terrible vision, runs into his own lineman, blames the o-line for his failure, refuses to play when mildly injured, out of shape, says stupid things, gets arrested . . .

Seriously Jason, what does he do well???

Jason, I appreciate your loyalty to a douchbag such as CB, but will you PLEASE tell me this: (I've been asking this for a while). Other then the occassional few and far between great run, what does Cedric do well??? Seriously? On my list I have: Can't block, can't catch the damn ball, terrible vision, runs into his own lineman, blames the o-line for his failure, refuses to play when mildly injured, out of shape, says stupid things, gets arrested . . .

makes excuses?

Before you read this, remember that I was once the biggest Benson hater on the board...

-blocking: He's not horrible at blocking, just alignment

-vision: I don't think his vision is bad. It looks fine when there are holes

-runs into his own linemen: This is going to happen when the OL gets blown off the ball on a regular basis

-blames the o-line: I'd like him to take the high road rather than blaming the OL, but it's understandable since the OL sucked last year, and they were easily the weakest link on the team

-playing while injured: I don't think there is irrefutable evidence that he was "mildly" injured and didn't play.

-out of shape: Where has it conclusively been stated that he has been out of shape? In order to be the downhill, bruising RB that so many on this board want, he has to have a few extra pounds to blast LBs and DBs. Personally, I prefer the homerun hitters.

I don't know if he does anything well, to be quite honest. However, I don't know that we've seen enough of CB behind a decent OL to really know what he can do.

Regarding your points....

-blocking: He's not horrible at blocking, just alignment

May not be popular, but I would argue he was our best blocking back last year. Now that might be like saying he was the tallest person in a room full of midgets, but still. Benson's biggest issue IMHO comes down to experience. He at times seemed to pickup the wrong man, though I would also argue there were times he would pick up one guy, while a 2nd got to the QB, but you can not block everyone. What I will say is this. I can not recall a time of Benson getting beat on a block. There were some times when he went to one side for the block, and a blitz came from the other direction. That may or may not fall on Benson's shoulders. But when Benson engaged a rusher, he stood him up very well.

-vision: I don't think his vision is bad. It looks fine when there are holes

Agreed. Few times did I feel he simply missed a hole. Vision is always an easy thing to knock when a RB struggles, but if there is simply not a hole, how can the back be blamed for not seeing one.

-runs into his own linemen: This is going to happen when the OL gets blown off the ball on a regular basis

Agreed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If Benson hesitates in the backfield waiting for a hole to open, the odds of him getting dropped in the backfield go up. So often I hear fans say the back should simply hit the LOS, and if there is no hole, at least avoid the negative runs. Sometimes you simply have to run up on the OL and try to push the pile to avoid a loss.

-blames the o-line: I'd like him to take the high road rather than blaming the OL, but it's understandable since the OL sucked last year, and they were easily the weakest link on the team

Did he do this last year, or are we going off earlier in his career. I will be the first to say he was immature coming out, but seemed to have grown, and in fact, there were times last year the OL stood up for him, which I question how much they would do if he was throwing them under the bus.

-playing while injured: I don't think there is irrefutable evidence that he was "mildly" injured and didn't play.

Kills me when this comes up. It isn't like he has turf toe and takes himself out. His injuries have required surgery. This really comes back to the SB, and the one article that said he took himself out. It was basically a rumor anti-Benson fans jumped on an ran w/, even though there has been little evidence to support this.

-out of shape: Where has it conclusively been stated that he has been out of shape? In order to be the downhill, bruising RB that so many on this board want, he has to have a few extra pounds to blast LBs and DBs. Personally, I prefer the homerun hitters.

Here again you have something reporters started, though I do not recall the staff ever agreeing w/ it. Our staff has had no problem calling out players who have been out of shape. I do not recall Angelo, Lovie, Turner, Rusty, or anyone w/ the team saying Benson was out of shape. Reporters felt he looked big at camp last year, but again, if true, the staff's history would give an expectation of their calling him out. As they did not, it makes me question the reports.

For me, it still comes down to this. If we cut him, we are most likely going to have to sign another RB. You want to have more players entering camp then you intend to finish w/. If one of Forte, Wolfe, AP suffer an injury in camp, and yet are the only three RBs on the roster, you then are forced to sign another player. I simply do not see the point in cutting Benson.

To me, it simply goes against logic to cut Benson now. Go to camp w/ an open competition. Everyone is high on Forte, yet he has proven absolutely nothing. Benson was a top 5 pick and we did not simply hand him the job over TJ. Why would we simply hand Forte the job w/o making him prove himself first. If Benson doesn't show up in camp, send him packing, but I just do not see the point in getting rid of him before camp.

"Cedric Benson

The Bears have invested too much to cut him loose without getting all the facts about his arrest. He's a hard guy to trust, yes, but a team desperate for a spark in the running game can ill afford to simply discard a runner who they think might benefit from a revamped offensive line. The bigger question revolves around Benson's surgically repaired ankle, which has been said to be weaker than before he broke it in Week 12. Right now he's probably No. 1—with an asterisk."

From Chicago Tribue. Interesting what they have to say about his ankle being weaker then before the injury. Maybe concern for reinjury?

We'll find more details later as the facts come out... But I've got to think this isn't going to generate a long term contract.

I think it's justifiable to trade or cut him in all honesty. Not that I think the Bears will...

I do not like him. I would prefer the #32 go to a more deserving player.

Any info? I read some post from another forum that the score reported today that benson's injury is worse than everyone thought and that his career with the bears is over and it will be announced publically in a few days? Is this true? If it is, do they bring in some vet with experience. I think forte will be a good back, but we can't possibly try going into the season with no experience at all can we? I'd make a trade like a 6th rd pick in next years draft for lamont jordan, or try for alexander if he's affordable.